The smoking dream

Physical healing of the body and mind
nomadfaerie gold
nomadfaerie gold

October 2nd, 2000, 12:49 am #11

Joel - thanks for this! I remember running across this in my reading, it's good to see it again after my dream.

nomad

saharanne
saharanne

October 5th, 2000, 3:45 pm #12

For Beccy,

May not be 100% relevant,but it helped me to know my sleep pattern changes were normal and would change. I know they will be able to post more in the a.m.

Ann

twovees (Gold)
twovees (Gold)

October 6th, 2000, 9:50 pm #13

Thanks, Joel. I have read it before but it was good to read again.

Does this dream usually happen repeatedly, or is this one of those things that now that I have gotten past it, it's over and done with. It was very frightening.

Vivian

Joel
Joel

October 6th, 2000, 9:54 pm #14

Hello Vivian:

It can happen again, but again, it is only a dream. Ypu may not be as shaken next time, but even if you are it will pass in minutes and if you really analyze the fear you will realize how grateful you are to still be an ex-smoker. In some ways it can reinforce your resolve even though it is so irritating when it happens.

Anyway, I wish you sweet dreams, but even if your dreams aren't always sweet, your waking state will be greatly enhanced as long as you never take another puff!

Joel

starla (GOLD)
starla (GOLD)

October 6th, 2000, 10:55 pm #15

i know how scary that dream can be. i wake up and feel so upset withself because i could have sworn i had a cigarette in the middle of the night!!!! i actually get up and start looking to see if i did buy any!!!

i just think its very interesting so many people have this in common when they quit. it helps to know you are not the only one. thanks for the good posts!

starla-who is almost at 3 weeks smoke free!!!!

Dana11183
Dana11183

October 26th, 2000, 10:31 pm #16

Thank You,
Kyra
One week, one day, 17 hours, 27 minutes and 17 seconds. 174 cigarettes not smoked, saving $32.73. Life saved: 14 hours, 30 minutes.

LindaO
LindaO

October 26th, 2000, 11:08 pm #17

Thanks Linda
I thought I had read this article before, but couldn't remember for sure. Reading the other posts to it has helped aswell. Now printed off incase I need it again!

Linda x

Dionne (gold)
Dionne (gold)

November 1st, 2000, 11:10 pm #18

Thanks Joel! And thanks Geo for pointing me toward this post. I feel better now and won't mind more dreams of smoking as you were right......when I awake and discover it was only a dream it's very SWEET! Onward, Dionne 3W & 3D

STACY
STACY

November 20th, 2000, 9:18 am #19

Thanks! This makes sense. This is one of the reasons I failed at other quits. The dreams freaked me out. At least now I now they're normal.
Stacy

S Sweet
S Sweet

December 28th, 2000, 11:37 pm #20

thanks hun... just wish it wasnt so darn life-like!!!!! i actually have been having cravings all morning long after "smoking a pack of cigarettes" in my dream GRRRR well that gives me new meaning to the "you can smoke just one" lie, we tell ourselves occasionally... i cant even DREAM abt smoking "just one"

PatM62(Silver)
PatM62(Silver)

December 30th, 2000, 8:04 am #21

thanks for this post, Joel, I was badly in need of this about 10 days ago, when i couldn't log on. I dreamt i was smoking 3 nights in succession.....secretive smoking,( which i've never done, but then again i've never stopped before!) and always got caught and felt dreadful but had to carry on smoking. It really disturbed me....i wondered if my subconscious was leading me to the next puff and it may be inevitable that i smoke again. After all, I always knew i couldn't stop! I remembered that i had downloaded a lot of your stuff, so although i couldn't get onto the message board, i had plenty to read. This helped a lot. It was only the old addiction playing mind games with me, and perhaps it was good to be reminded of how horrible i now feel smoking. I know for sure that i need never take another puff...even if i want to.
Luv Pat

Joel
Joel

January 5th, 2001, 8:33 pm #22

By the way, if you look at the number of times I have had to bring this up, you get a sense of just how prevalent these dreams are. Thought I would just mention that.

Joel

Video version of this thread:
Dreams of smoking Dial up
2.38mb
HS/BB
7.10mb
Length
06:28
Date Added
11/10/06
Last edited by Joel on March 18th, 2009, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leslie
leslie

January 6th, 2001, 1:41 am #23

Joel...Thank you so much for posting the dream article...I've been thinking about it all day and now have a better understanding of it...glad[but not glad] others experience the same thing as it freaked me out...but all is good a bit grumpy..but no tears today so the sun is definetly shining!!! I'm being as positive as possible and I WILL NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!! Thanks Leslie

GOINEAZY
GOINEAZY

January 17th, 2001, 12:21 am #24

Thanks for the clarification!! I just had one of those dreams!Felt like I blew it until I actually woke and found just a dream.What a relief knowing I hadn't actually smoked!! Thanks~~~~~~EAZY

Tallone
Tallone

January 24th, 2001, 3:48 am #25

Joel, thanks so much for the info on dreams. Fascinating. It helps to clarify so much. In fact, all of your articles are simply amazing and full of facts that keep me headed on the Quitter Trail.

Thanks! Donna

EileenS
EileenS

February 21st, 2001, 5:29 am #26

Thanks Joel :-)

I'm hoping that pretty soon I'll completely quit (in my dreams) so that my dream world will match my reality. Yesterday I was having a pretty down day and was the first time I thought of smoking, but I DIDN'T...but then I think my subconscious got the better of me. Like you say though, I can be glad it was only in my dreams and when I'm awake I can remember to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF. thanks again

Eileen
4 months 2 weeks and some change...

Joel
Joel

March 1st, 2001, 5:07 pm #27

I am bringing this one up for the cilia explanation, the random thoughts being addressed today, and for Jim who is still having trouble sleeping and coughing. Many of these concepts are covered here in the initial post and attached string. Everyone remember a thought or a dream is never going to cause a relapse. On a cigarette can do that. So no matter what your tricks your mind plays as long as your real life actions don't cooperate the thought will pass. The only action you need to take to stay free is to never take another puff!

Joel

Triin (GOLD)
Triin (GOLD)

March 1st, 2001, 10:09 pm #28

That's a great article. Yes, those smoking dreams can be awful. During my first week I dreamt about smoking every night. It was always the same - I was smoking a cigarette as usually, relaxed etc, when i suddenly realized that I had quit and I shouldn't be smoking! It was as I had just forgot about it. I was so angry at myself in the dream that I had smoked. And I was so ashamed. I'm glad that my real life is different - no need to be ashamed, I can be proud of myself !!

Sweet dreams everyone,
YQS
Triin
I have been Quit for: 1 Week 3 Days 15 Hours 38 Minutes 5 Seconds. I have NOT smoked 213, for a savings of $14.65. Life Saved: 17 Hours 45 Minutes.

mirigirl (silver)
mirigirl (silver)

March 8th, 2001, 10:47 pm #29

Well folks... I had my first dream about smoking since my Quit!!
Get this - I dreamt I was Elizabeth Taylor(!) who was dying, while smoking a cigar!! ????
I have no idea what that meant!? The ultimate drama queen who dies from her addiction??
Funny thing is I never did smoke cigars!? Still dreaming that smoking is glamorous!??
Well at least I know it is not happening in reality and maybe its just my subconcious coming to terms - somehow - with the fact I'm NOT smoking - I like to think so.
Thought I'd share this - it made me have a laugh at myself!
Hang Tuff Freedom Family
yqs Maz
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!
One month, two weeks, two days, 1 hour, 50 minutes and 5 seconds of FREEDOM!!
Last edited by mirigirl (silver) on March 18th, 2009, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joel
Joel

March 20th, 2001, 6:47 am #30

For Cold Chicken. Don't scare us like that!

A dream will never cause a relapse, only taking a puff in a waking state can do that.

While awake always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

LadyJen22
LadyJen22

March 23rd, 2001, 10:19 pm #31

That dream thing is just too funny. I have only actually had one dream since I quit, and I was just casually smoking in it. Then I woke up, in the middle of the night, and actually sat upright in bed. I was so scared and angry at myself! I thought I had blown it! lol
I remembered it was a dream, sighed a HUGE sigh of relief and went back to bed. I called my mom the next day and told her about it. (She has been quit for 2 1/2 years). I told her how guilty I felt about even having the dream. She laughed at me and told me I should have enjoyed it, because in my dreams is the only place where I will be smoking from now on!!!
Great Post Joel (as usual!!)
Thanks,
Jen

42 Days (Six weeks!!) I know everyone else is counting in months and weeks, but I prefer right now to count in days, for whatever reason????

breathless
breathless

March 27th, 2001, 11:47 pm #32

Ahhh the smoking dream - I have not sent a message in quite some time. I am still smoke free and feeling better every day. Sometimes my surviving grace is the fact that I do dream of smoking. Just wanted to share and tell everyone - it actually will get easier. Keep smiling - breathing , dancing , walking, breathting, etc. Always, Monica

duncan
duncan

April 15th, 2001, 2:45 pm #33

Thank you for this article Joel - I woke today with having had my first smoking dream last night - how weird that was - I even dreamed of having to explain to the family at Freedom - very bizarre - Thanks Mate -

paula
paula

April 16th, 2001, 12:14 pm #34

Wow, this is amazing reading! Next time I have that dream, I'll know better! I too, woke up feeling freaked out that I had smoked and then, what a rush of relief to see that I'd been dreaming. The guilt is actually quite wonderful now. It has helped to re affirm my intention: to never take another puff! Thanks Joel for the explanation about the cillia also. This has been almost a daily scene for me ...coughing and spitting, Guess it's a good thing but sometimes my lungs feel heavy as if I smoked a bunch and I know I havn't so I'll feel more positive about recovery now. Thank YOU! Paula 36 days without a puff.

mals
mals

April 18th, 2001, 12:08 am #35

I had my first smoking dream since I quit (2 weeks and 1 day ago!). I dreamt that I found a pack of cigarettes in my purse - it had 4 Marlboro light cigraeetes. They are slightly crumpled but not broken. I touched them in my dream and thought that I cld smoke all 4 an dno one wld ever know. I was still debating what to do and how to do it when I woke up. That was fairly scary - knowing that if it were real, I wld have probably smoked them. Glad to know it was a dream but disappointed in even getting tempted.

Mal