GeorgieGirl GOLD
GeorgieGirl GOLD

9:52 AM - Feb 21, 2003 #26

As Joel has said, I was one of those quitters who has quit numerous times for long periods - without the understanding as to why I could never stay off smoking. My last long Quit (before my now educated one) was lost when a "social smoking" ex-boyfriend of mine offered me a cigarette after years of me not smoking. His rationale was "you haven't had one for so long, you won't start again". Me - being uneducated about that "one puff" succumbed and figured maybe I could just have one. How WRONG I now know that I was!!!!! Was not long before I was back to full-time smoking. I really did delude myself ..... I really was quite shocked that I became a smoker again. It didn't make sense after so long being Quit???? The hardest part was the not understanding??? I soon realised I had no control over my addiction. It took me another 5 years - and the life saving day that I found WHYQUIT.com - for me to finally understand what had happened. I am an addict. I can NEVER have just one puff. Education was my saviour ..... it took me time to get here, valuable time - but I am here and I am NEVER TAKING ANOTHER PUFF again ... the price to pay is too high. Besides .... I am way too educated now. Thank you Freedom .... and thank you for this thread Lotus .

Georgia

SammymnGOLD
SammymnGOLD

2:55 AM - Feb 22, 2003 #27

Happy Friday!

What an excellent thread you've got going there sweet quit sister I.L. (And some mighty impressive numbers I might add!) . The lies we tell ourselves: geez! (or "told" I should say).

I remind myself often of the law of addiction. I always force myself to add: "and you're no exception girl."

Have a great unquestionably smoke-free weekend!

, Sarah( 7 Months 2 Weeks 3 Days 3 Hours 8 Minutes 30 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 4642. Money saved: $988.88).

IrishLotus GOLD
IrishLotus GOLD

11:29 PM - Mar 19, 2003 #28

For Alex
Oh, and be sure to read all of the responses...there are some real gems in there from Joel, OBob, et. Al.
YQS- Lotus

Golddabler1
Golddabler1

4:14 AM - Mar 20, 2003 #29

GOOD SUBJECT IRISH,I LOST A PREVIOUS YEARS QUIT DUE TO SEEING A SO CALLED SOCIAL SMOKER CARRYING A PACKET OF PAPER NEEDLES.I WAS INTOXICATED BUT HAD BEEN MANY TIMES BEFORE WITH NO TEMPTATION,ANYWAY MY POINT IS THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SOCIAL SMOKER.I WAS A SOCIAL SMOKER THEN I BECAME SECRET SMOKER AND I CAN GUARANTEE THAT MOST SO CALLED SOCIAL SMOKERS WILL HAVE A FLY PUFF AND BECOME SECRET ADDICTS OR FULL BLOWN ADDICTS.I WEEK 2 DAYS 16HRS 5MINS NICOTINE FREE.

MsArmstrongKIS
MsArmstrongKIS

6:55 AM - Mar 20, 2003 #30

Dear Lotus-oh how I love this thread. Would that I had the patience of Joel with current smokers. . .lately I feel an urge to walk up to them and say words to the effect of:

"Do you know that what you are doing right now is so bad for you it could cause you to die painfully within the next few years?"

or

"Do you know that all of the fear you have of quitting is much, much bigger than the actual event will end up being? And that all of the denial you are putting into the act of smoking that cigarette will be much, much smaller than the pain you have an excellent chance of going through later, when your health fails?"

and then

"whyquit.com!! Joel Spitzer!! It's all there, just take a couple of hours and you'll see! It won't cost you anything and could help you save thousands of dollars and probably your life!"

The last time I quit the only way I could survive the trigger of watching others smoke was to think of them as really stupid people. I don't think smokers look stupid, anymore. I think they look tragic. Not stupid, because an addiction can happen to anybody. But tragic, because anybody can kick an addiction.

However, the smokers I know who try to quit but refuse to understand how to actually make that happen. . .now that just makes me crazy. And yet they look at me as if I'm nuts when I am so impatient/intolerant about their relapses!

I guess the only person I really have to be impatient/intolerant about relapsing is

Alex
1 month 5 days

Thanks for bringing this up for me, Lotus. Right on!

IrishLotus GOLD
IrishLotus GOLD

5:58 AM - Apr 08, 2003 #31

For Carlene...because now YOU (not your husband) are the one who's in control of your nicotine addiction! Way to go! and Congrats on one whole week!

IrishLotus GOLD
IrishLotus GOLD

12:45 AM - Jul 11, 2003 #32

For Layla Jane ... don't let the man get you down (they can be so STUBBORN sometimes)
Lotus
289 Days FREE!

kensensei gold
kensensei gold

1:12 AM - Aug 07, 2003 #33

Since Lotus recently mentioned this thread I thought people might benefit from bringing it to the top. I would just like to refer back to my friend, who I mention in post 10 of the thread... She "quit" at new years (threw out her cigs!) and it only lasted a day or two and she has quit SEVERAL times since then with the same results. But she ABSOLUTELY, ADAMANTLY INSISTS that she can quit ANYTIME SHE WANTS and that she just doesn't happen to be in the mood right now. Recently she has often been a smoker in a group of nonsmokers and she (between asking for matches and cigs from total strangers) CONTINUES TO INSIST that she is just doing it for now for whatever reason and can still drop the whole thing ANYTIME SHE WANTS.... despite all the evidence to the contrary. As the old post form John says, "Isn't it time to start being honest?". For my friend Donna, who I *love dearly* and consider a sister in many ways, its just not time yet. I love her, but like Lotus, there is a limit to what I can do for her. I still hope she finds her way to freedom. But if she wants to continue to believe that its not an addicion and that she can just drop it anytime she wants---despite all the evidence... then I can't help her any neither can anyone else. Some things you have to learn for yourself.

Ken

kensensei gold
kensensei gold

1:17 AM - Aug 07, 2003 #34

PS when I mention lotus I of course mean about her boyfriend and not her.... and I would also like to mention, for reference w/r/t Donna that I am at 6.5 plus months and that prior to January we both talked about quitting together many times. COLD TURKEY WORKS.

IrishLotus GOLD
IrishLotus GOLD

11:08 PM - Aug 29, 2003 #35

Thanks for bringing this article up Joel....

Tim (the social smmoker in question) has actually quit recently. He has finallly come to the realization that there is no such thing as "smoking socially" and he is giving this cold turkey quit his bet shot. He quit as of Sunday (8/24...my 11 month anniversary) and if al goes well, he will be joining the green bus the day I take off in the golden jet liner. He still seems somewhat resistant to talk about his quit (he said it is easier for him NOT to talk about it), but he seems clear that one=all, and that he can't have just one. Hopefully he will come to me before he takes a smoke. ANYWAY, I have been very busy lately and have also not had access to a computer but I remain FREE...11 months and counting down,

YQS_
Lotus

Joel
Joel

4:09 AM - Sep 05, 2003 #36

Another good one for Carl.

Joel
Joel

7:52 PM - Dec 08, 2003 #37

For Catherine:

It is not exactly the same situation but it shows how smokers can get very defensive when they feel weaker than people who quit.

kattatonic1 gold4
kattatonic1 gold4

11:11 PM - May 22, 2004 #38

I first read this thread so early in my quit. I didn't realize it was you, Mary Kate! You were already so aware and so clever back at 4 months free. No surprise to me.

Since I quit, I have really been watching the 'social' smokers I know. Social smoking is a myth. There is nothing 'social' about it. I (shamefully) remember a relapse I had from an 8-month quit back in university days. I decided to only smoke at the pub. Of course, we went to the campus pub 5 days out of 7 back then. I was (shamefully) bumming a(nother) cigarette one night and one of the girls from my residence said to me, "Time to admit you are a smoker again and stop playing this game." Even if it's shameful, somewhere inside the truth always rings true. What a horrible feeling. I ignored her temporarily. Finally 'admitted' it within a few weeks, put myself out of constant withdrawal by giving into the addiction and smoking every day at more regular intervals. What a great choice that turned out to be -- not. Alas. Hindsight and all that.

Anyway, as I said, I watch the 'social' smokers I know. Their addiction is not particularly social. I wish for them all to wake up, not the way I did and surrender to addiction, but really make their social events social and stop with the sucking on burning toxic weeds.

~ Kay, who enjoys social events far more now that I don't have to think about where and when I will get my next chance to smoke ~

Celebrating 4 Months, 29 Days, 5 Hours and 39 Minutes of Freedom.
Forsaking 3025 doses of poison has liberated $973.95 and 10 Days and 12 Hours of my life.

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

1:24 AM - Jan 21, 2006 #39

Another post of interest.

forza d animo
forza d animo

11:31 AM - Aug 12, 2006 #40

A person who relapses will often try to delude him or herself that he or she has not lost control over nicotine even after he or she has relapsed. The person will often also try to delude those around him or herself too. It is not that a relapsed smoker is inherently dishonest. He or she may truly believe that he or she can control addiction. That belief is what allowed him or her to take the first puff in the first place. Very few people take the first drag with the game plan of relapsing. They have deluded themselves that they are somehow going to control the quantity or duration of their smoking. They may sound mighty convincing to you as they are trying mighty hard to convince themselves of their control over nicotine.

Joel