The One Puff Files

Retraining the conscious mind
Sal GOLD.ffn

26 Apr 2008, 07:52 #81

Are "aaahh" memories calling your name? :

Just a quick post to you former nicotine junkies out Image there who have invested 10 days to two weeks into your healing yet find yourself toying with new excuses to relapse - FORGET IT !

The millions of smoking memories gradually fading away deep into your mind were created by a drug addict while they rode a 20 to 30 minute lifetime cycle of nicotine-dopamine highs and lows. There is nothing left to relieve. Your blood is clean and your body chemically adjusted to physically functioing without the drug nicotine. Those aaahhh memories of feeling your sagging blood serum nicotine level being brought back into the comfort zone - by just one new puff of nicotine - no longer belong to you! Your cycle of chemical dependency has been broken.
There is nothing in that white wrapper now except the exact same message you received with your first smoke ever - hot nasty tasting gases, dizzy and maybe a cough - but no sense of relief - none - as there is no longer anything missing! You worked hard for your freedom! Don't buy into the memories created by an active addict! They're not yours! Enjoy your healing! Today is doable if we'll simply never take another puff!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,
John : )
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 04 Apr 2010, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

FreedomNicotine

12 Jun 2010, 12:08 #82

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/SxpOU ... 0&border=1

Just one puff and within 10 seconds up to 50% of our brain's nicotinic receptors
become occupied by nicotine. While most walk away from relapse thinking they
have gotten away with smoking just once, they soon find their brain wanting for more!
Want to keep your healing alive?
Just one rule ... none today!
Last edited by FreedomNicotine on 12 Jun 2010, 12:12, edited 2 times in total.

lyndseyquits

10 Jul 2010, 06:35 #83

This is a great post and a perfect reminder for me, just 40 days into my quit. A million thanks. 

JohnPolito

13 Jul 2010, 12:08 #84

Email Received:  July 13, 2010
Re:  Feedback
Firstly - thank you. Its difficult to describe just how much finding your site has/is helped/helping me.  
I'm a 37yr old male from Liverpool, England who had his third heart attack last week. I've been addicted to nicotine since the age of 13. I had my first heart attack just under 10 years ago at 28 years old. My latest event has resulted in my 6th stent insertion. OK, I had a high cholesterol level up until my first attack 10 yrs ago (10.9 on the uk bad cholesterol scale) but it has been down to 3.5 since. (safe(ish) is said to be 5).

I did quit for over two years in 2000 but became ensnared again from smoking just one while drunk on holiday in 2002 and have been smoking 10 to 20 per day since. I knew what I was doing but couldnt understand why really. I knew that I'd probably have another event or probably die but couldn't either stop it or found it easy to convince myself that I would get away with it. Until now, after finding your site. Everything makes sense.

Basically you have given me hope by giving me knowledge. I feel that I can fight this now. It wasn't  the stopping that I found difficult (Being in a cardio ward hooked up to a wharfrin drip and ECG physically helped with that!), it was the months and years later that seemed to be the issue. I felt deprived. I dont feel or think of it like that now. I believe that now I have a hope. I didn't understand the nature of the addiction and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get away with the odd one here and there.

I just had to write to you and your team. If I can ever help with the crusade I will. I promise to promote your site at every opportunity.

Just wanted you to know. Your making a difference to many people globally. God bless you.

Ivan

RogerDonaldson

27 Jul 2010, 21:35 #85

WOW, this is a good thread.

Johnnie

20 Oct 2010, 15:58 #87

Awesome thread, indeed. But I suspect that if the full stories were told we'd hear that all long quits that fail were somehow sabotaged far in advance. No great Black Bird swoops down from the heavens stealing anybody's quit. This site is the ultimate good place to come to remind ourselves of two things: our good luck in quitting...and our responsibility to maintain the good health of our quits.
Gratefully Gold

I escaped from the prison of smoking on August 14, 2010.  
[font]The best revenge is quitting well![/font] 

jaysohn

10 Nov 2010, 21:03 #88

Really emphasizes the importance of regularly checking in to the forum. I agree with Johnnie.  I have been fixating on cigarettes from time to time over the last couple weeks, I think hitting the 3 months mark is starting to really bring it home to me - that I truly have quit smoking.  Now that the withdrawal symptoms are gone, it's so easy to get complacent and entice ourselves into taking just 1 puff.  I have not relapsed, but I have thought about it a couple times.  I think not being active on the site only encourages complacency.  I'm going to be sure to continue to take it one day at a time, not getting caught up in months, or years of my quit, but keeping it simple: NTAP, just for today!

Jason
Free and Healing for Three Months, One Day, 15 Hours and 3 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 6 Days and 12 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1873 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $516.94.

Joel Spitzer

10 Nov 2010, 22:18 #89

"[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]I have not relapsed, but I have thought about it a couple times"[/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]I suspect you thought about having a cigarette more than you thought about relapsing, at least in the sense of thinking about it as something you want to do. Read these two strings:[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]"I think I have decided to go back to smoking"[/font]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]"I made a conscious decision to smoke."[/font]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Comment fron that last string:[/font]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF].......when a person has a bad moment and relapses saying to themselves that they made a conscious decision to smoke, it is usually an untrue statement. They don't make a conscious decision to smoke; they make a conscious decision to have a cigarette. These are two completely different decisions. It is easy to make a conscious decision to have a cigarette, when you think that is where it will end. Thinking in terms of limited quantity or limited time smoking is fantasizing about smoking. This fantasy will be a person's downfall.Now in fact you are being forced to make a decision. Your body is going to demand it. The decision now is are you going to be a full-fledged smoker, under the criteria above, or are you going to quit again? If you don't make a decision and take action, the decision is already made. You are a smoker again. On the other hand if you decide to quit, then you may have to put up with the initial withdrawals and the struggles that accompany stopping smoking. Neither option is optimal, but one, as bad as it seems, is clearly better than the other is. One may be miserable; the other is potentially lethal.

You started your post that this was the worst day of your life. If it is the day you go back to smoking, this may not be an inaccurate assessment. If it is the a day you almost lost a quit but got it back and never smoked again, well then in retrospect you will probably realize that today was a day that had bad components. But in the grand scheme of things it was the day you permanently quit smoking and in that real sense it was a good day too. This may be hard to see now but in time, smoke free time; this may become a very realistic assessment.

This is a fight for your health and your life. Give it your all because the alternative is cigarette smoking and if cigarettes are given the opportunity, they will take your all. To keep your Freedom, your health and your life you must understand that your quit is contingent on knowing that to stay smoke free you must never take another puff!

Joel

[/font]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Video that ties in well with this string:

Video titleDial UpHigh SpeedMP3 AudioLengthAdded
Who wants to go back to smoking?2.61mb25.9mb3.22mb07:0509/28/06
[/size][/font]

Johnnie

19 Nov 2010, 17:19 #90

Thanks for the vivid reminder of the perils of forgetting what all of us know for a fact: NTAP.
Gratefully Gold

I escaped from the prison of smoking on August 14, 2010.  
[font]The best revenge is quitting well![/font]