The One Puff Files

Retraining the conscious mind
A Golden Snip

15 Jun 2003, 18:15 #31

The One Puff Files is a great thread and one I will read regularly. I found this interesting and something I would never have thought about if I was asked to do it. Now I know I will say I can't light a smoke for you 'cause I don't smoke. Here is Joels' quote:-
Smoke does not need to be brought into the lungs to induce a relapse. Nicotine can be absorbed through many routes. Through the skin as is evident by the use of the patch, and by the oral mucosa as evident by the gum. Lighting a cigarette or putting a cigarette in your mouth will cause the absorbtion of nicotine and that absorbtion is administration of nicotine to your body and administration of nicotine is a relapse. I won't light one for anyone 'cause I'm don't want to be a slave again.
Snip
Seven months, two weeks, one day, 5 hours, 15 minutes and 11 seconds. 4771 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,954.33. Life saved: 2 weeks, 2 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes.

John (Gold)

27 Jul 2003, 22:19 #32

"There are no loopholes in the law of addiction. The law of addiction simply states that administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of the dependence on the addictive substance. The day that you tossed your "last" cigarette away, you were placed "on probation" for the rest of your life. While it may seem harsh and unfair, to many, smoking is a crime punishable by death. Don't try to cheat the system just - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! Joel[/size]
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

09 Aug 2003, 02:21 #33

This leads to ...

This ....
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

20 Aug 2003, 11:09 #34

I just did a seminar for six high school aged kids who were sentenced to the program by our local court system. They all were smokers who unlike most of these past groups sentenced to me, all admitted to it. I got the sense that they really didn't buy into the idea that people can get rehooked after "just" taking a cigarette after being off for a significant period of time. I actually got the sense a few of them may actually look over the site, so I am bringing up articles to hit this point home. I think a few of them really couldn't accept the concept of addiction either. I hope I am wrong about this for without accepting this premise I suspect quitting is going to beyond their grasp. I don't usually feel this about most groups. If any of you have personal experiences that you would like to share I think you may be help some young smokers here hopefully to understand that the way to break free and stay free is to totally commit to never take another puff! Joel

Joel

23 Aug 2003, 01:32 #35

ImageRecommend ImageDelete Message 56 of 56 in Discussion
Sent to me today by a one-time Freedom stalwart.....

"I know I want to quit , I hate the smell and I have the most wonderful cough again Image, I also have read till I am boggle eyed....I know what it is doing to my body, I am also a full blown addict again......I have gone through in my head all the addiction / junkie thinking arguments the works, my mind just seems to be not listening to what common sense is saying to me, I swear I don't know where the strength for my quit came from, I know that right now tho if I say I am gonna quit on x day, my heart just is not in it......Richard this is awful, don't ever start again cos believe me, I now smoke more than I ever did "

Yet another sad example of the power of addiction................ don't think it can be challenged - it can't. The person who wrote this had quit for over a year..... one puff a few months ago, and you can see the result.....

kez

23 Aug 2003, 02:44 #36

I am also terrified of one puff.....I dont want relapes to happen to me.Im thank-ful for freedom and the education I have recieved here. My husband laughed at me when I told him I was quitting again...cold turkey this time.....It motivates me to remember that Ive done better this time than any other NRT quit.22 days and countingImage

John (Gold)

11 Sep 2003, 21:39 #37

Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

OBob Gold

27 Sep 2003, 14:09 #38

There are no slips; only relapse. Absolute success or utter failure are determined by the simple act of either taking or never taking the next puff.
Last edited by OBob Gold on 15 Feb 2009, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

13 Oct 2003, 03:44 #39

Tell them, Bob! Slip, cheat and "just one" are sugar-coated words for inhaling defeat.

Is there any exuse whatsoever for any of us to turn to heroin should life hand us a major challenge? Then what excuse do we have for turning to nicotine, which we're told is even addictive and harder to kick?
Last edited by John (Gold) on 30 Aug 2017, 23:40, edited 2 times in total.

Coolmare2green

20 Oct 2003, 00:56 #40

Ah yes, all those senseless journeys those " just one puff "s have taken me on.......that "one puff" i took off my boyfriend's cig one buzzed-up night in a bar, just to see if it was as bad as i remembered----it was--i had my own supply again within a few days, after almost 8yrs clean........how i was so disheartened by that relapse that i didn't get up the courage to try again for so long......how i used that relapse as evidence to myself that i couldn't stop using.....how i've given away quit after quit since that time to that "just one puff", looking for relief that could never last more than minutes, because i had just reactivated some process SO much bigger than any rational thought process i could throw at it to attempt some kind of "control".......how now i make it thru each day with NO NICOTINE TODAY as my mantra, because i know that NICOTINE TODAY for me means NICOTINE TOMORROW, and the next, and the next, and maybe till the day it takes my life, because i'm not sure i could find the heart to take this journey again.
Love and life to all of you---- this site has given me such fortitude !
Mary
quit 9-30-03