The One Puff Files

Retraining the conscious mind
Joel

13 Feb 2003, 00:38 #21

In the past few days we had a few new members state that they had lost some pretty long-term quits in the past. I thought this would be a good one to bring up for them and for people who are wanting to make sure they don't lose any long term quits in the future by staying constantly reminded why they have committed to never take another puff!

Joel

SammymnGOLD

27 Feb 2003, 04:44 #22

This thread always gets me. Especially the woman who lit a cigarette for her friend. This addiction is chilling.

-Sarah (7 3/4 months).

richard This is It GOLD

05 Mar 2003, 09:06 #23

For Alex....

there's some who can (or claim they can), there's some who can't..... the vast amount of evidence (in this post and Freedom in general) suggests the former are a tiny minority...

as someone here says a lot... the only way to be sure of staying quit is to NTAP !

John (Gold)

02 Apr 2003, 12:50 #24

Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

24 Apr 2003, 11:02 #25

Joel

16 May 2003, 19:13 #26

Just to comment on the example Marty listed above, the person didn't actually relapse within a few days of the event--she relapsed at the moment she stuck a lit cigarette in her mouth. She just didn't realize that she relapsed until a few days of the event.

Smoke does not need to be brought into the lungs to induce a relapse. Nicotine can be absorbed through many routes. Through the skin as is evident by the use of the patch, and by the oral mucosa as evident by the gum. Lighting a cigarette or putting a cigarette in your mouth will cause the absorbtion of nicotine and that absorbtion is administration of nicotine to your body and administration of nicotine is a relapse.

Trying to rationalize it or define it as anything else is going to kill a quit and killing a quit can very likely end up in killing the quitter. The only way to guarantee staying totally smoke free is to know that they only way to avoid relapsing is to never administer nicotine via any NRT route and as far as for burning tobacco the only way to avoid relapsing is to never take another puff!

Joel

SammymnGOLD

17 May 2003, 01:58 #27

Thanks for pulling those up out of the vault. The one with the woman who "lit her friend's cigarette," and thereafter, ended her participation here, haunted me early on in my quit. It still does. It just makes abundantly clear: There's no wiggle room. No buts. (or butts). No "not reallys." No "I didn't mean tos"

You either do or you don't. I happily continue to do the latter for 10 1/2 months.....

God bless you Freedom. Honestly, I wouldn't have my life any other way.

Sarah

Free4ever (Silver)

30 May 2003, 04:29 #28

Truly sobering - it really gets you thinking (and scared) at how easy it is to fall back into the trap.
NEVER another puff - now my quit is at 6 months I really don't want to get complacent.
My friend has just relapsed after a month of being quit... I had pointed her in the direction of Freedom but left it for her to choose whether or not to educate herself - it has to be each individual persons choice but I thought that if I could point her in the right direction then I was doing my bit. She chose not to educate herself but was doing great at 4 weeks.

Anyway - she relapsed and was trying to justify it to me ?? (I don't know why as I had never wanted her to feel under pressure from me).... she said that she wouldn't care but at the time she wasn't even really thinking about smoking, or having a crave. It's too easy to 'forget' how addictive nicotine can be. It's too easy to not think about it... and it's too socially acceptable and readily available not to keep up a guard.

I hope my guard against nicotine is always up and I never forget how addictive this drug is. After 1 week, 6 months, or 6 years.
YQS
Free4ever

StepperM

30 May 2003, 10:41 #29

I never want to quit again therefore I must Never Take Another Puff. Thanks for bring this post up Free4ever. I really do love my quit and dont' want to loose it.

Freegirl
I am free from sic nic for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 2 Days and 42 minutes (53 days).

OBob Gold

12 Jun 2003, 04:24 #30

Can't have one.
Don't want all
Never take another puff.