The One Puff Files

Retraining the conscious mind

February 13th, 2003, 12:38 am #21

In the past few days we had a few new members state that they had lost some pretty long-term quits in the past. I thought this would be a good one to bring up for them and for people who are wanting to make sure they don't lose any long term quits in the future by staying constantly reminded why they have committed to never take another puff!

Joel

February 27th, 2003, 4:44 am #22

This thread always gets me. Especially the woman who lit a cigarette for her friend. This addiction is chilling.

-Sarah (7 3/4 months).

March 5th, 2003, 9:06 am #23

For Alex....

there's some who can (or claim they can), there's some who can't..... the vast amount of evidence (in this post and Freedom in general) suggests the former are a tiny minority...

as someone here says a lot... the only way to be sure of staying quit is to NTAP !

April 2nd, 2003, 12:50 pm #24

Last edited by John (Gold) on February 15th, 2009, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2003, 11:02 am #25

May 16th, 2003, 7:13 pm #26

Just to comment on the example Marty listed above, the person didn't actually relapse within a few days of the event--she relapsed at the moment she stuck a lit cigarette in her mouth. She just didn't realize that she relapsed until a few days of the event.

Smoke does not need to be brought into the lungs to induce a relapse. Nicotine can be absorbed through many routes. Through the skin as is evident by the use of the patch, and by the oral mucosa as evident by the gum. Lighting a cigarette or putting a cigarette in your mouth will cause the absorbtion of nicotine and that absorbtion is administration of nicotine to your body and administration of nicotine is a relapse.

Trying to rationalize it or define it as anything else is going to kill a quit and killing a quit can very likely end up in killing the quitter. The only way to guarantee staying totally smoke free is to know that they only way to avoid relapsing is to never administer nicotine via any NRT route and as far as for burning tobacco the only way to avoid relapsing is to never take another puff!

Joel

May 17th, 2003, 1:58 am #27

Thanks for pulling those up out of the vault. The one with the woman who "lit her friend's cigarette," and thereafter, ended her participation here, haunted me early on in my quit. It still does. It just makes abundantly clear: There's no wiggle room. No buts. (or butts). No "not reallys." No "I didn't mean tos"

You either do or you don't. I happily continue to do the latter for 10 1/2 months.....

God bless you Freedom. Honestly, I wouldn't have my life any other way.

Sarah

May 30th, 2003, 4:29 am #28

Truly sobering - it really gets you thinking (and scared) at how easy it is to fall back into the trap.
NEVER another puff - now my quit is at 6 months I really don't want to get complacent.
My friend has just relapsed after a month of being quit... I had pointed her in the direction of Freedom but left it for her to choose whether or not to educate herself - it has to be each individual persons choice but I thought that if I could point her in the right direction then I was doing my bit. She chose not to educate herself but was doing great at 4 weeks.

Anyway - she relapsed and was trying to justify it to me ?? (I don't know why as I had never wanted her to feel under pressure from me).... she said that she wouldn't care but at the time she wasn't even really thinking about smoking, or having a crave. It's too easy to 'forget' how addictive nicotine can be. It's too easy to not think about it... and it's too socially acceptable and readily available not to keep up a guard.

I hope my guard against nicotine is always up and I never forget how addictive this drug is. After 1 week, 6 months, or 6 years.
YQS
Free4ever

May 30th, 2003, 10:41 am #29

I never want to quit again therefore I must Never Take Another Puff. Thanks for bring this post up Free4ever. I really do love my quit and dont' want to loose it.

Freegirl
I am free from sic nic for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 2 Days and 42 minutes (53 days).

June 12th, 2003, 4:24 am #30

Can't have one.
Don't want all
Never take another puff.

June 15th, 2003, 6:15 pm #31

The One Puff Files is a great thread and one I will read regularly. I found this interesting and something I would never have thought about if I was asked to do it. Now I know I will say I can't light a smoke for you 'cause I don't smoke. Here is Joels' quote:-
Smoke does not need to be brought into the lungs to induce a relapse. Nicotine can be absorbed through many routes. Through the skin as is evident by the use of the patch, and by the oral mucosa as evident by the gum. Lighting a cigarette or putting a cigarette in your mouth will cause the absorbtion of nicotine and that absorbtion is administration of nicotine to your body and administration of nicotine is a relapse. I won't light one for anyone 'cause I'm don't want to be a slave again.
Snip
Seven months, two weeks, one day, 5 hours, 15 minutes and 11 seconds. 4771 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,954.33. Life saved: 2 weeks, 2 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes.

July 27th, 2003, 10:19 pm #32

"There are no loopholes in the law of addiction. The law of addiction simply states that administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of the dependence on the addictive substance. The day that you tossed your "last" cigarette away, you were placed "on probation" for the rest of your life. While it may seem harsh and unfair, to many, smoking is a crime punishable by death. Don't try to cheat the system just - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! Joel[/size]
Last edited by John (Gold) on February 15th, 2009, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 9th, 2003, 2:21 am #33

This leads to ...

This ....
Last edited by John (Gold) on February 15th, 2009, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 20th, 2003, 11:09 am #34

I just did a seminar for six high school aged kids who were sentenced to the program by our local court system. They all were smokers who unlike most of these past groups sentenced to me, all admitted to it. I got the sense that they really didn't buy into the idea that people can get rehooked after "just" taking a cigarette after being off for a significant period of time. I actually got the sense a few of them may actually look over the site, so I am bringing up articles to hit this point home. I think a few of them really couldn't accept the concept of addiction either. I hope I am wrong about this for without accepting this premise I suspect quitting is going to beyond their grasp. I don't usually feel this about most groups. If any of you have personal experiences that you would like to share I think you may be help some young smokers here hopefully to understand that the way to break free and stay free is to totally commit to never take another puff! Joel

August 23rd, 2003, 1:32 am #35

Recommend Delete Message 56 of 56 in Discussion
Sent to me today by a one-time Freedom stalwart.....

"I know I want to quit , I hate the smell and I have the most wonderful cough again , I also have read till I am boggle eyed....I know what it is doing to my body, I am also a full blown addict again......I have gone through in my head all the addiction / junkie thinking arguments the works, my mind just seems to be not listening to what common sense is saying to me, I swear I don't know where the strength for my quit came from, I know that right now tho if I say I am gonna quit on x day, my heart just is not in it......Richard this is awful, don't ever start again cos believe me, I now smoke more than I ever did "

Yet another sad example of the power of addiction................ don't think it can be challenged - it can't. The person who wrote this had quit for over a year..... one puff a few months ago, and you can see the result.....

kez

August 23rd, 2003, 2:44 am #36

I am also terrified of one puff.....I dont want relapes to happen to me.Im thank-ful for freedom and the education I have recieved here. My husband laughed at me when I told him I was quitting again...cold turkey this time.....It motivates me to remember that Ive done better this time than any other NRT quit.22 days and counting

September 11th, 2003, 9:39 pm #37

Last edited by John (Gold) on February 15th, 2009, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 27th, 2003, 2:09 pm #38

There are no slips; only relapse. Absolute success or utter failure are determined by the simple act of either taking or never taking the next puff.
Last edited by OBob Gold on February 15th, 2009, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 13th, 2003, 3:44 am #39

Tell them, Bob! Slip, cheat and "just one" are sugar-coated words for inhaling defeat.

Is there any exuse whatsoever for any of us to turn to heroin should life hand us a major challenge? Then what excuse do we have for turning to nicotine, which we're told is even addictive and harder to kick?
Last edited by John (Gold) on August 30th, 2017, 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

October 20th, 2003, 12:56 am #40

Ah yes, all those senseless journeys those " just one puff "s have taken me on.......that "one puff" i took off my boyfriend's cig one buzzed-up night in a bar, just to see if it was as bad as i remembered----it was--i had my own supply again within a few days, after almost 8yrs clean........how i was so disheartened by that relapse that i didn't get up the courage to try again for so long......how i used that relapse as evidence to myself that i couldn't stop using.....how i've given away quit after quit since that time to that "just one puff", looking for relief that could never last more than minutes, because i had just reactivated some process SO much bigger than any rational thought process i could throw at it to attempt some kind of "control".......how now i make it thru each day with NO NICOTINE TODAY as my mantra, because i know that NICOTINE TODAY for me means NICOTINE TOMORROW, and the next, and the next, and maybe till the day it takes my life, because i'm not sure i could find the heart to take this journey again.
Love and life to all of you---- this site has given me such fortitude !
Mary
quit 9-30-03

November 8th, 2003, 11:24 pm #41

Bob,
Thank's for bringing this thread back up ~ just the reminder I need to hold tight to this quit ~ I know my life depends on it. I can't for the life of me understand why I went back to smoking on more than one occasion. I've been quitting for 25 years! Let go of a 2.5 year quit in '80, an 8 year quit in '92, and another 2 year quit in '99. These were not "slips" ~ they were defiant "I'm going to smoke now" relapses.

Just from hanging around this group for a few weeks, I know that I can Never Take Another Puff and I'm beginning to wonder why I would ever want to. For this junkie, that is great progress!

Thanks for all you share on these boards . . . . . back to reading the thread . . . . .
God Bless,
Candi - Free and Healing for Sixteen Days, 11 Hours and 43 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 330 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $42.90.

November 9th, 2003, 12:18 am #42

"In July of this year I turned Gold. 12 months of Freedom. Everything I was told here came true. No longer thinking about smoking, total comfort and vastly improved health. I threw it away and relapsed. One other thing is also true. You're one puff away from 2 packs a day. I very quickly returned to my old nicotine consumption level. Just like that." As one of the individuals quoted in OBob's original, "One Puff Files" I have always been frightened by this thread. Not because it speaks about relapse, but because it reminds me of the blazing with which a relapse can occur.

One moment, Quit for 14 months, a split second later an actively feeding addict.

There is no such thing as, just one puff for we, the addicted. That one is all it takes. Your addiction cpmes full bloom and your ability to rebound becomes even tougher as ypu despair over your relapse. There's no negotiating, no, "let's make a deal.' That Quit is gone, kaput, finis. And you must begin again. If you can.

Your Quit requires education, determination and focus. Constantly. Your relapse requires nothing but a split second of doubt.

Always hold your Quit tight. Always keep it in front of you.

Please.

Gormo Coupla days shy of 14 months Quit

November 9th, 2003, 1:02 am #43

Hi Freedom,
I just read the entire thread ~ Bob did a super job putting it together. I recommend that anyone who has not read it to please take the time and read it while it's "at the top!"

For a chronic relapser like me, I could relate to so much of what folks shared. I especially related to someone who said "It's only temporary" ~ seems to me I said that once after a relapse. I'll just smoke until . . . . . . . . . then it is totally taken out of our hands.

Thanks, too, Gormo for adding your share to the thread this morning . . . .

Never Take Another Puff . . . . . . .

Candi
Free and Healing for Sixteen Days, 13 Hours and 22 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 331 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $43.08.

November 26th, 2003, 8:02 am #44

I come back here often and read this, if only to reinforce over and over again what I now know, one = all. I thank God for this place and for all I've learned here. Our quits are otherwise fragile. They require regular strength training.

Thanks for updating this thread!

, Sarah ( 1 Year, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 8 hours, 21 minutes and 17 seconds (509 days)).

December 6th, 2003, 6:39 am #45

I needed to post to this thread tonight. To remind myself of where I have come from and to add to the testimony that INSISTS........never take another puff.

I'm not to good on dates or the exact order that things happened. I couldn't tell you the number of times that I have tried to quit. But I can recall some of the circumstances in which I took the one puff .........that always (see above) becomes the one long extended daily puff of a coast to coast steam train addict!

Here's one from the early years. It could probably go into the (attempted) divine intervention thread that I have seen elsewhere.
.......A great weight had been lifted from my shoulders and I felt inspired to stop smoking as well. Two or three days into the quit I was at the park with my youngest boy (he was about 18 months old). The damage had probably already been done as I had bought a packet of cigs on the way there (undoubtedly blocking my mind at the time to the feelings of shame and worthlessness as well as to the voice of reason)...................................or was there still hope? As my boy played with a small ball I opened the packet and put the cig in my mouth...... but as I lifted a lighter to resume my flirtation with death and slavery a projectile (my sons' ball) flew threw the air and........quite precisely broke off the tobacco section of the cigarette leaving me with the filter tip in my mouth.........SAVED!!!!!!!!............? ...........surely?
.....Well, no................after giving my self esteem a final kick in the ribs (though I did ponder the situation for a few seconds) .....I took another cigarette out of the packet and resumed my smoking for at least the next 10 years (give or take a few more quit attempts).

The quits I have made in this time have lasted usually a few days or a couple of weeks. On two occasions I have stopped for about 3 months. A number of occasions I have been drawn back by starting to smoke cigars.....even when I knew where this would inevitably lead me......this path of repeated failure, as everyone knows, eventually leads to a terrible sense of hopelessness and desperation, whatever might be happening in the rest of your life.

This brings me to my last and probably wimpiest, most pathetic attempt at quitting made a few weeks before this, my final quit. (I am not trying to tempt fate or to be a man of iron here.....I just cannot afford to think or speak in any other way....this is my final quit). From the divine intervention (failed) of one of my earliest quits, we travel to an even more depraved picture that I am sure many of you can unfortunately identify with.....

........I throw tobacco in the bin as on several previous quit attempts............ I go to bed.............
...and next morning, like the most God forsaken dog returning to the filthiest vomit.....I retrieve enough tobacco from among the usual kitchen waste (use your imagination for this one if you have to) to roll a few smokes...... before I officially start my next stint of slavery by buying another packet.

It has been commented that many millions of people have stopped smoking without the benefit of this web site. I salute their courage and wisdom. A few weeks after the above quit attempt (????), desperate, depressed, but sort of wiser I decide (again) that I must quit. Something makes me look on the internet for help and I find this site. And as I read, the penny drops. I finally add the 2 of my experience to the 2 of yours and for the first time I get 4. I am an addict.......I will always be an addict.........therefore.......I must Never Take Another Puff..........and the road to recovery and healing began!

DAVID - Free and Healing for One Month, Four Days, 21 Hours and 49 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 3 Days and 15 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1047 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me £78.66.