Suekickbutt (GOLD)
Suekickbutt (GOLD)

October 3rd, 2002, 7:55 pm #11

Oh wow. Be happy and comfortable, but never drop your guard.

Sue

4 months +

doit4life(Silver)
doit4life(Silver)

October 3rd, 2002, 9:15 pm #12

Thanks for a great thread Bob. When I first quit, I didn't even want to think about relapse or read anything about it. I quess fearing it may in some way cause me to relapse. But at this stage in my quit I could read this post. A great enforcer to Never Take Another Puff. I don't come to Freedom as often as I used to and have been having several triggers lately. This was a great thread for me to read.
Again Thanks,
DoIt
No nicotine for: 2M 3W 8h 48m. NOT smoked 3294 cigs, $494.20 not given to cigarette companies. 1W 4D 10h 30m added to my life.

SammymnGOLD
SammymnGOLD

November 12th, 2002, 12:50 am #13

I fear complacency. I fear getting too comfortable in my quit. I keep this thread close by just in case.....

, Sam (4months, 1 week)

Fat Tony GOLD
Fat Tony GOLD

November 12th, 2002, 6:29 am #14

WOW...great thread

thanks Bob........Two years quit seem like a good time to return to freedom and
renew our commitment to remain free from nicotine.

one year ten months three days of freedom

neven take another puff

FruityPatti
FruityPatti

November 12th, 2002, 2:17 pm #15

Awesome thread, but very scary! We are ALL one puff away...but for today--it wont be me!
Patti
Four weeks, one day, 23 hours, 44 minutes and 54 seconds. 1799 cigarettes not smoked, saving $314.88. Life saved: 6 days, 5 hours, 55 minutes.

freefromit GOLD
freefromit GOLD

November 13th, 2002, 8:23 am #16

...thanks Bob for a wonderful reminder...in my first post here at Freedom I had to admit that I threw away an 11 month quit by taking a puff off a friend's cigarette "just to see what would happen" Well, if I'd been an educated quitter and a member here at that time, I sure would have known exactly what would happen...and that there is no such thing as just one! I like to remind myself that if I ever let myself be tempted by that one puff, I then picture myself going right out and buying CARTONS , and that really brings me around with a jolt of reality! I feel GREAT today!~~~Marie 1 month 4 weeks
Last edited by freefromit GOLD on April 4th, 2010, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lilycatt
Lilycatt

November 14th, 2002, 11:35 am #17

This is a valuable threat, oops!, thread, O'Bob (the subject is a threat to us all). Thank you. I, too, will bookmark it for future reinforcement. Thanks again.

Lilycat

Rickgoldx5
Rickgoldx5

December 6th, 2002, 11:14 pm #18

OBob,

You never stop amazing me with your posts! Your like a walking talking search engine! This should be required reading for everyone.

Thanks

Rick

Seven months, two days, 3 hours, 59 minutes and 47 seconds. 17293 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,585.84. Life saved: 8 weeks, 4 days, 1 hour, 5 minutes.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

December 19th, 2002, 12:06 pm #19

Last edited by John (Gold) on February 15th, 2009, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

December 28th, 2002, 12:55 pm #20

Joel
Joel

February 13th, 2003, 12:38 am #21

In the past few days we had a few new members state that they had lost some pretty long-term quits in the past. I thought this would be a good one to bring up for them and for people who are wanting to make sure they don't lose any long term quits in the future by staying constantly reminded why they have committed to never take another puff!

Joel

SammymnGOLD
SammymnGOLD

February 27th, 2003, 4:44 am #22

This thread always gets me. Especially the woman who lit a cigarette for her friend. This addiction is chilling.

-Sarah (7 3/4 months).

richard This is It GOLD
richard This is It GOLD

March 5th, 2003, 9:06 am #23

For Alex....

there's some who can (or claim they can), there's some who can't..... the vast amount of evidence (in this post and Freedom in general) suggests the former are a tiny minority...

as someone here says a lot... the only way to be sure of staying quit is to NTAP !

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

April 2nd, 2003, 12:50 pm #24

Last edited by John (Gold) on February 15th, 2009, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

April 24th, 2003, 11:02 am #25

Joel
Joel

May 16th, 2003, 7:13 pm #26

Just to comment on the example Marty listed above, the person didn't actually relapse within a few days of the event--she relapsed at the moment she stuck a lit cigarette in her mouth. She just didn't realize that she relapsed until a few days of the event.

Smoke does not need to be brought into the lungs to induce a relapse. Nicotine can be absorbed through many routes. Through the skin as is evident by the use of the patch, and by the oral mucosa as evident by the gum. Lighting a cigarette or putting a cigarette in your mouth will cause the absorbtion of nicotine and that absorbtion is administration of nicotine to your body and administration of nicotine is a relapse.

Trying to rationalize it or define it as anything else is going to kill a quit and killing a quit can very likely end up in killing the quitter. The only way to guarantee staying totally smoke free is to know that they only way to avoid relapsing is to never administer nicotine via any NRT route and as far as for burning tobacco the only way to avoid relapsing is to never take another puff!

Joel

SammymnGOLD
SammymnGOLD

May 17th, 2003, 1:58 am #27

Thanks for pulling those up out of the vault. The one with the woman who "lit her friend's cigarette," and thereafter, ended her participation here, haunted me early on in my quit. It still does. It just makes abundantly clear: There's no wiggle room. No buts. (or butts). No "not reallys." No "I didn't mean tos"

You either do or you don't. I happily continue to do the latter for 10 1/2 months.....

God bless you Freedom. Honestly, I wouldn't have my life any other way.

Sarah

Free4ever (Silver)
Free4ever (Silver)

May 30th, 2003, 4:29 am #28

Truly sobering - it really gets you thinking (and scared) at how easy it is to fall back into the trap.
NEVER another puff - now my quit is at 6 months I really don't want to get complacent.
My friend has just relapsed after a month of being quit... I had pointed her in the direction of Freedom but left it for her to choose whether or not to educate herself - it has to be each individual persons choice but I thought that if I could point her in the right direction then I was doing my bit. She chose not to educate herself but was doing great at 4 weeks.

Anyway - she relapsed and was trying to justify it to me ?? (I don't know why as I had never wanted her to feel under pressure from me).... she said that she wouldn't care but at the time she wasn't even really thinking about smoking, or having a crave. It's too easy to 'forget' how addictive nicotine can be. It's too easy to not think about it... and it's too socially acceptable and readily available not to keep up a guard.

I hope my guard against nicotine is always up and I never forget how addictive this drug is. After 1 week, 6 months, or 6 years.
YQS
Free4ever

StepperM
StepperM

May 30th, 2003, 10:41 am #29

I never want to quit again therefore I must Never Take Another Puff. Thanks for bring this post up Free4ever. I really do love my quit and dont' want to loose it.

Freegirl
I am free from sic nic for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 2 Days and 42 minutes (53 days).

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

June 12th, 2003, 4:24 am #30

Can't have one.
Don't want all
Never take another puff.

A Golden Snip
A Golden Snip

June 15th, 2003, 6:15 pm #31

The One Puff Files is a great thread and one I will read regularly. I found this interesting and something I would never have thought about if I was asked to do it. Now I know I will say I can't light a smoke for you 'cause I don't smoke. Here is Joels' quote:-
Smoke does not need to be brought into the lungs to induce a relapse. Nicotine can be absorbed through many routes. Through the skin as is evident by the use of the patch, and by the oral mucosa as evident by the gum. Lighting a cigarette or putting a cigarette in your mouth will cause the absorbtion of nicotine and that absorbtion is administration of nicotine to your body and administration of nicotine is a relapse. I won't light one for anyone 'cause I'm don't want to be a slave again.
Snip
Seven months, two weeks, one day, 5 hours, 15 minutes and 11 seconds. 4771 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,954.33. Life saved: 2 weeks, 2 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

July 27th, 2003, 10:19 pm #32

"There are no loopholes in the law of addiction. The law of addiction simply states that administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of the dependence on the addictive substance. The day that you tossed your "last" cigarette away, you were placed "on probation" for the rest of your life. While it may seem harsh and unfair, to many, smoking is a crime punishable by death. Don't try to cheat the system just - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! Joel[/size]
Last edited by John (Gold) on February 15th, 2009, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

August 9th, 2003, 2:21 am #33

This leads to ...

This ....
Last edited by John (Gold) on February 15th, 2009, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joel
Joel

August 20th, 2003, 11:09 am #34

I just did a seminar for six high school aged kids who were sentenced to the program by our local court system. They all were smokers who unlike most of these past groups sentenced to me, all admitted to it. I got the sense that they really didn't buy into the idea that people can get rehooked after "just" taking a cigarette after being off for a significant period of time. I actually got the sense a few of them may actually look over the site, so I am bringing up articles to hit this point home. I think a few of them really couldn't accept the concept of addiction either. I hope I am wrong about this for without accepting this premise I suspect quitting is going to beyond their grasp. I don't usually feel this about most groups. If any of you have personal experiences that you would like to share I think you may be help some young smokers here hopefully to understand that the way to break free and stay free is to totally commit to never take another puff! Joel

Joel
Joel

August 23rd, 2003, 1:32 am #35

Recommend Delete Message 56 of 56 in Discussion
Sent to me today by a one-time Freedom stalwart.....

"I know I want to quit , I hate the smell and I have the most wonderful cough again , I also have read till I am boggle eyed....I know what it is doing to my body, I am also a full blown addict again......I have gone through in my head all the addiction / junkie thinking arguments the works, my mind just seems to be not listening to what common sense is saying to me, I swear I don't know where the strength for my quit came from, I know that right now tho if I say I am gonna quit on x day, my heart just is not in it......Richard this is awful, don't ever start again cos believe me, I now smoke more than I ever did "

Yet another sad example of the power of addiction................ don't think it can be challenged - it can't. The person who wrote this had quit for over a year..... one puff a few months ago, and you can see the result.....