The Monster Under the Bed

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Johnnie

28 Jan 2011, 14:53 #51

This is one of my Top Ten fave posts...and I greet the monster once again to look it in its eye.
Gratefully Gold

I escaped from the prison of smoking on August 14, 2010.  
[font]The best revenge is quitting well![/font] 

JohnPolito

28 Jun 2011, 15:45 #52

An expected five million needless smoking related deaths this year and the #1 cause?  Fear! 

ImageThe brain pathways designed to generate intense wanting for species survival activites such as eating food and drinking liquids have been taken hostage.  Now instead of craving food a couple of times daily, one billion nicotine addicts find themselves craving nicotine 10, 15 or 20 times a day.  Seeing quitting as though starving themselves to death, how could they not be afraid? 

Those hostage pathways are doing their job so well that half of adult smokers are smoking themselves to death.  So how do we reach the fooled and captive user and teach them the truth?  Like trying to convince them that they won't starve if they stop eating food, it's one of the greatest challenges known to man.  

Without food we die, without nicotine we thrive!   Try telling that to someone whose brain is screaming even louder the importance of that next mandatory chemical feeding.  Who should they believe, us or wanting flowing from their deep inner limbic mind?  It's why once they are ready to venture beyond dependency's shell that we do our very best to help them see and feel the light, that knowledge is power.

If recovery gradually transports all of us to that first magic day where we go the entire day without once wanting to use nicotine, what do we have to fear?  Why fear freedom?   Today I read a new paper asserting that smoking doubles the risk of dementia and Alzheimer's disease.  If true, we need to find a way to connect with them before smoking destroys their ability to understand, remember and apply the
Law of Addiction.

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John - Gold x12

prucat

28 Jul 2011, 03:03 #53

What a good article. I needed to see that. I am caught in that middle ground, not in withdrawal, not on easy street. An ex-smoker knowing the truth of just one puff by still enough of a junky to think it just might not apply to me. The truth of this traps me right here. Choose. Don't dwell on it, Just choose and get on with life.I have to keep choosing freedom, I have to keep choosing not to revert back to a life of nicotine slavery. At times like this, when I wonder if I can make it through this stage, I have to consider what full relapse will be (and I know the answer to this) and I must choose not to relapse. Whatever this stage means for me, I have to see it through because relapse for me has become the thing I fear even more than anything this transition might entail.

It's a bumpy road. A good post that speaks the hard truth doesn't make the road less bumpy. It just makes me know it's a well-travelled road and I can stay on it, too.

stef2211

04 Nov 2011, 21:13 #54

Bob, thanks so much for that post.  Fear of not smoking, actually being successful at quitting, is a biggie.  Especially for a newbie like me!

Quit for 4.7 days, or 113.8 hours.

hotdosa

11 Nov 2011, 18:50 #55

Fantastic post! I am struck by how accurately the post captures the fears and anxieties of those of us whose quits are still rather young. I've been quit a bit more than a month and have had to deal with a lot of the anxiety myself. And reading it described like this really helps you understand what you're going through - which in turn makes it a lot easier to deal with!
-hotdosa

==
36 days, 364 cigarettes, saved 1D 6h 20m of my life, and $182.45

Lejardin

08 Feb 2012, 03:00 #56

this is bar none the best inspirational post. THANK YOU, OBOB,again. you have centered me for the fifth time.....

Molette

18 Nov 2012, 20:03 #57

This is such a good, honest, and wise thread, thanks OBob for taking the time to write it many years ago, it's still as true today :) I'm in that inbetweeny state, out of the super-motivated first few weeks, over many hurdles, but suddenly at six weeks in I've been subjected to two major stresses, and have spent the last two days having to work really hard not to relapse. These words from someone, was it Melissa?, on page two of this thread really hit the nail on the head for me: "So, in a very real sense, "learning" to quit smoking successfully fits into this pattern of learning. What is described here as a No-Man's Land could be compared easily to the conscious incompetence state described above. The rush of the newness is diminishing. We know enough to feel pretty content with this new state of things, and yet we are keenly aware of the experience only time and practice and continued desire will manifest. We long of competence. Everyone else appears to be confident and competent in their current place, while we can feel odd & out. It is that longing that can keep us moving forward" I value where I am so much! I don't ever want to give in to that addiction again. It really REALLY helps having this site to return to, this reprogramming and relearning is a long long winding journey, and we have to learn to be patient don't we, little baby steps :)