The Monster Under the Bed

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Ilona

29 Apr 2008, 08:05 #41

Thanks OBob

I love the "dare to look deeper" attitude that I find on this site. And I really appreciate this post today, as I have not dared to even peak at the monster under my bed. I have been trying to hum away the addiction chatter and pull the covers over my head! I just took a moment to look at monster head-on and have discovered that the chatter is not an urge to smoke at all, but a lack of belief in myself, in the fact that I can stay quit. This is a confused junkie thought that has been fed by years of addiction, not by logic, as you say; whereas the decision to quit was a decision ruled by logic, a weapon against addiction that I possess as much as anyone! The chatter ceases immediately in the light of this truth! So I will confront the voice and answer, as I cross the threshold from smoker to ex-smoker:
"I, like anyone, was meant to live nicotine-free, and am strong enough (smart enough) to do it".

Ilona

Sal GOLD.ffn

06 Jun 2008, 09:33 #42

Allow yourself the time it takes to adjust to living without your drug. True healing is taking place in your brain. Let it happen. Breathe, continue to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and recovery, and pat yourself on the back often. You are FREE and HEALING! Image

As written by OBob: Keep taking it one day at a time. One minute at a time if you need.... You'll get there. This is eminantly doable.

ImageSal

Joel

01 Nov 2008, 00:43 #43

Yes even on Halloween there are no monsters under the bed with regards to smoking.

FreedomNicotine

11 Apr 2009, 23:47 #44

ImageAnd on the seventh day[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF] [/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Just Found a Cigarette [/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Being honest about our addiction[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]I am an addict! Hooray![/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Desperate addicts parade: have you ever...[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Facts You Should Know About Smokeless (Spit) Tobacco[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Wakeup Call  is a 'hidden' Classic from the often recommended & read O'Bob Gold.[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Turning the corner - acceptance[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Comfort [/font]
Last edited by FreedomNicotine on 18 Jan 2012, 18:12, edited 2 times in total.

Maggie1014

18 Apr 2009, 13:22 #45

Thank for the post. Really helps me! Marge 19 days free!

Johnnie

28 Aug 2010, 15:57 #46

Here's the "ahhhh" feeling I needed today. Positively terrific post!
Gratefully Gold

I escaped from the prison of smoking on August 14, 2010.  
[font]The best revenge is quitting well![/font] 

angelinaquit

01 Oct 2010, 20:59 #47

Thank you Bob for the beautifully written, carefully crafted thoughts on early transition. I, too have been hovering in this perpetual state of fear and "now what?" mode, having quit only 3 weeks ago. NTAP has helped me understand that I can truly never have just one cigarette, and the "one cigarette" trap is why I failed in the past. Being clean and smober for the last three weeks has been an incredible feeling. I don't smell bad anymore, my hands don't stink, I'm not constantly applying perfume or swigging mouthwash - or being hostile when I'm jonesing for a fix! I smoked for 17(!) years and I've had to work really hard to remember the me I was before I became a slave to nicotine. I am, however, really looking forward to the me I am becoming without this deadly dependency. When I do have my moments of crisis and panic, visiting the WhyQuit pages, Joel's library and reading the words of fellow quitters also reminds me that I can do this, that it has been done! Thank you!
3 WEEKS, 3 DAYS, 5  CIGARETTES NOT SMOKED: 337; MONEY SAVED: $193.78

zeddontsmoke

01 Jan 2011, 09:30 #48

Thanks Obob.  The 'aagh' moment is the hardest and you just clarified that I would need to get myself back into smoking to feel that again....No thankyou!!!  Natural aaghs for me :) Image

I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Day, 1 hour, 21 minutes and 28 seconds (32 days). I have saved $461.61 by not smoking 577 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 30/11/2010 4:01 PM

NoNic4Neal

21 Jan 2011, 11:18 #49

Bob,
Great Post, reading it was a great way to start my 12th day of freedom. Everything you said is as true today as when you wrote it (almost 9 years ago). I really needed to read some of the insights in this post. Everything is getting better for me as I learn more and more to deal with my monster. NTAP
Neal

schmaltz

26 Jan 2011, 00:30 #50

A hearty thanks for that one.
Still going strong for 18 going on 19 days now.