The Monster Under the Bed

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
enjoyinglifeJamie

09 Nov 2005, 23:12 #31

Firstly, Thank you SO much OBob for writing this. You are truly wise. You have made perhaps the biggest difference in my decision to quit.

This may very well be my #1 favorite. I love this thread. I think this is the thread that did it for me, that made me really believe that I was in fact strong enough to quit. This thread got printed, put into my purse, carried around with me and got read over and over again. I'm silver now, it's still in my purse. I don't read it too much anymore, but when I'm cleaning out my purse I notice it, pull it out and give it another read. Now it serves to remind me of how scared I was to quit, how scared I was of failure, of success, and it truly strengthens my resolve because I now know there is nothing scary about quitting. In fact it's so wonderful, it's better than I ever could have dreamed possible.

These parts used to make me cry, now they make me smile. That alone, shows me how far I have come. Lurkers, pay attention!

This crave is going to last forever, this crave is unbearable, quitting is just TOO **** HARD: Okay, what does this crave really feel like? How long is it lasting? Is it really lasting all day long? Or, is my fear of the crave, and my fear of failure, or my fear of success, making me THINK about it all day long? For how many seconds have I actually WANTED to put a cigarette in my mouth, light it and inhale, as opposed to just being anxious about my lifestyle change, and all of the things associated with it. Am I feeling anxiety? Or am I really wanting a cigarette? Will smoking a cigarette make me feel better or worse than I do? Furthermore, I KNOW from talking to all the former smokers around me that this isn't what being an ex-smoker feels like! I'm in the latter stages of withdrawal, and the early stages of reconditioning my life to NOT revolve around my addiction. Soon, I will be feeling a lot better, and I'll have a hard time remembering how hard this has been. It's only hard for a while.

You weren't meant to quit, You're not strong enough: I wasn't meant to SMOKE. Smoking is not a natural thing. Ingesting deadly chemicals to satisfy a never-ending cycle of withdrawal and replenishing of nicotine supplies is NOT the way I was meant to live. I was MEANT to breathe freely. I was meant to taste my food. I was meant to have good breath. I was meant to be free. And I'm strong enough to realize that nicotine is stronger than me; that if I try just one, nicotine will win, and I'll be trapped. I'm strong enough to make it through this temporary difficulty, in order to live the life I was meant to live on the other side.

Lurkers, no matter what you might believe, no matter what you have been told, if you want to quit smoking there is no good reason why you can't. Period. Believe in yourself and anything is possible.
jamie - confronting my monster (what monster? oh that little twerp??) for 206 days.

OBob Gold

10 Nov 2005, 18:47 #32

Hi Jamie,

Congratulations on your silverdom! It means a lot to hear that you were able to find some strength in this post. Thanks for the kind words.

YQB,

ImageBob (3 years, 10 months free)

ChakkaDawg

28 Feb 2006, 09:21 #33

OBob,

You are such an inspiration to us newbies! I have saved this post to my favorites to read over and over and over again. Although I do not know you, I already respect and admire you a great deal. Thank you for being here for us, and thanks to Joel and all management!
8 Days Nicotine free!

FoolishWorkinj

02 Mar 2006, 10:19 #34

Thanks OBob, for the reminder. I haven't had any craves in the past two days, just those old black urges -- the fantasy smoke, I call it, that says how good it was when I know it wasn't good. It didn't taste good -- that harsh, hot burning in your throat. It certainly didn't feel good after hundreds and thousands of cigs had gone down -- it felt depressing and desperate and out of control a lot of the time after all those years. It smelled hideous. It snuck up on your clothes, your hair, your rooms, your car, days afterwards -- yuck! The other day I found a towel that someone had hung on the back of the door in a bathroom that only gets used once in a while, and I could smell it as soon as I opened the door -- that stale, rank smell of cigarettes. So what was good? The fantasy, that early cigarette that pretended to make you feel ahhhhh.
And the fantasy that one puff could solve a problem instead of feeling a hundred problems. Thanks, OBob. NTAP, Best, Joanne

Kristie

02 Mar 2006, 10:32 #35

Image This is the first time I read or that it clicked with me that you wouldn't get an ahh from your first cigarette. Just one more incentive to never take another puff.
Thanks,
Kristie - Free and Healing for Thirteen Days and 1 Minute, while extending my life expectancy 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 260 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $42.15.

JoeJFree Gold

15 Jan 2008, 04:36 #37

For Russ & Mary.

The last paragraph of O'Bobs original essay above:

Confront the fear, and confront the voice. Our junky side doesn't fight fair, and uses confusing logic. It plays upon the parts of us that feel most vulnerable. The parts of us that want to hide and wish things away. You can eliminate the fear, and silence the voice by always looking it in the eye, seeing it for what it is, and never letting it get away without shedding the light of truth upon it.

Keep taking it one day at a time. One minute at a time if you need.... You'll get there. This is eminantly doable.

JoeJFree Gold

05 Feb 2008, 05:41 #38

Freedom's guarantee - give your body and brain time to heal and adjust to what is normal - free of the infuluence of a killer chemical, nicotine &........calm comfortable living as you were always meant to live will envelop you. It's true. We've all been you.
Like Bob said in Three years vs. three days - we just got here and started on the road back to the true us a bit sooner.
Exercise some Patience and sooner than you can imagine you'll be Turning the corner - and gaining acceptance too. Image
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 11 Apr 2009, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

Crystal View1.ffn

21 Mar 2008, 09:57 #39

This is what Freedom is all about to me Image

From Bob's original message, still dear to my heart:
"And, like the monster under the bed when we're small, the best way to deal with the unknown is to face it, to understand it."

Katie - After 40 Years! Free and Healing for Three Years, Five Months, Two Days, 12 Hours and 55 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 73 Days and 19 Hours, by avoiding the use of 21259 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $4,478.02.

allanb

21 Mar 2008, 12:59 #40

This site is like having the lights on and when the lights are on the monster can't get you. What we can see is information and the constant input of reasons not to pick up another cigarette.... I have to say since I quit over 4 months ago I have been through ALOT, including the deaths of my father in law and my birth mother(I'm adopted) who both would have lived longer lives without smoking. The point is I quit after 40 plus years and still haven't smoked ..... the monster is there though and I need to keep a clear head and enjoy my quit( which is such a gift!) with my eyes open . The " just one puff" thoughts still go around even now!. I love this site cause I can run here and bolster myself with the truth and take a deep breath and be thankful for my health and my quit!!!I have been quit for 4 Months, 1 Week, 2 Days, 23 minutes and 42 seconds (130 days). I have saved $487.56 by not smoking 3,250 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week, 4 Days, 6 hours and 50 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 11/11/2007 9:34 PM