The Joy of Smoking

Physical healing of the body and mind
John (Gold)

17 Jan 2003, 10:15 #31

Rougly 2,000,000 middle-aged victims each year

MsArmstrongKIS

07 Apr 2003, 03:15 #32

Nice pic, John, except that in my town a pack of Marlboros is over $5!

Smoking is not a joy and the contentment that it brings to users is based purely on the comfort of staving off withdrawal for yet another hour or so. This morning I was eating my breakfast at the bagel shop I always go to, which is mostly staffed with young college girls like me. I noticed lately that almost all of them smoke.

I sitting doing homework and sipping away at my coffee when I overheard one of them say to the other, "Hey, I woke up this morning and found a whole carton of cigarettes in my closet, left when my ex moved out. How awesome is that?"

"That's happiness," her friend agreed. "Morning coffee and a whole carton of smokes. Lucky you."

Can you believe that I felt a momentary pang of jealousy? I bet you can believe it! It takes a little while to recondition responses to things like that!

But there is no real joy in finding a carton of cigarettes in your closet. Only 200 more fixes to the unceasing cycle of withdrawal. That "deliciously deep" drag isn't joyful, it's desperate. And the end result is disease and death.

One free, found carton in the face of the thousands more she and all nicotine addicts will shell out money and health for throughout her and their addiction. Joy? Joy?

I love this one, by the way.
Alex
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 3 Weeks 2 Days 21 Hours 46 Minutes 47 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 830. Money saved: $207.63.

John (Gold)

29 Apr 2003, 19:56 #33

Just a quick reminder to you recovering nicotine addicts who are now beyondImage that 10 to 14 day chemical adjustment period and toying with a new excuse to relapse - FORGET IT !
The millions of smoking memories that remain in your mind were created by a drug addict while they rode a 20 to 30 minute lifetime cycle of nicotine highs and lows. There is nothing left to relieve. Your blood is clean, your body physically adjusted to the absence of nicotine and your chemical cycle of dependency has been broken.
There is nothing in that white wrapper now except the exact same message you received with your first smoke ever - hot nasty tasting smoke, dizzy and maybe a cough - but no sense of relief - none, as nothing is missing!
You worked hard in journeying home toward "you" again and it would be crime to flush this amazing recovery like a toilet in exchange for addict's promise that can't be kept.
Freedom is primarily an education resource, simply a tool, which cannot be held responsible for being used, nor can it accept any blame for being ignored.
Freedom today is doable and can even be made inspiring if you will only dig deep in your mind and recall the full honest truth of what it was really like living an entire day - day after day - from fix to fix to fix to fix. Was that the "real" you or a chemical bond?
Go the distance! You've earned the right to see who you are. You've earned the right to experience entire days where the "thought" of "wanting" to smoke nicotine never invades your thinking!
Yes, those pesky thoughts are annoying and yes, it would be nice if they were no longer a chore but the remaining thoughts will soon start becoming almost laughable and the alternative is captivity, destruction and a 50% chance of dying an average of 14 to 15 years early.
There is no excuse for killing you and no chemical worthy of dedicating the remainder of your life to. Today we're free! Let the healing continue!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long, John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 21 Nov 2009, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

25 Dec 2005, 09:21 #34

Living nicotine free
the way to bring yourself
True Comfort & Joy
Simply NTAP!

JoeJFree - from tobacco & nicotine for Eleven Months, Fourteen Days, 10 Hours and 4 Minutes, (348 days)
Not smoked 8710, and saved $1,754.03.

Reclaimed 30 days, 5 hours and 52 minutes to use as I Choose!Image NTAP!

John (Gold)

07 Jan 2006, 09:20 #35

Bait

JoeJFree Gold

11 Apr 2008, 23:44 #36

"Oh but to again share in the joys of smoking," you think to yourself, "to puff, to taste, to blow, then relax."
The joys of smoking???? Joy? Joy?!"
(end of opening paragraph in John's initial post)

JoeJFree Gold

18 Oct 2008, 20:19 #37

JoeJFree Gold

08 Nov 2008, 12:01 #38

Christine: Don't look at that fantasy of a 'best ever'smoke. Look at ALL of them. Look at the whole picture with a real appreciation of what you are considering taking back into your life - Today. Tomorrow. Every single day. 20 or 30 or more. You take one you get them all. None of us, nobody, wants them all. Choose none. Choose freedom over feed-um. NTAP and live as you were meant to be - clean of nicotine.

nomowrinkles

11 Nov 2008, 07:43 #39

this was brought to the top because i was having a bad day. my bad day passed but to anyone who hasn't seen this post I recommend it. WOW

EtherBunny73

11 Nov 2008, 08:40 #40

Wow! Powerful read!

Thanks for bringing this one up - it fits right in with my thinking and is a great reinforcer.