The Freedom Classroom

Welcome to Freedom, a support group dedicated to educated cold turkey nicotine dependency recovery. Prior to applying to join, it is critical that you read: (1) The Law of Addiction (2) Our Mission Statement (3) Relapse Policy and (4) Rules.
Joanne Gold

05 Aug 2005, 21:14 #11

Thank you for sharing Shelby's story, John. Letters as such are good reminders as to how many people are learning without ever joining. We get letters on a daily basis similar to Shelby's story.

Keeping the board on topic and focused is crucial in helping so many people, both members and non-members. We certainly have many qualified teachers here, and it shows.Image

Joel

18 Aug 2005, 20:33 #12

I've been trying to break down just how many individual people read at WhyQuit.com on any given day. I am still not sure how to interpret the data. Lets suffice to say though that since we know over 1,000 people a day are finding and downloading the book from the site, and it is extremely likely that most people who happen to find their way to WhyQuit.com are not downloading the book, that we have lots of people finding us at WhyQuit and likely lots of them finding their way here to Freedom to learn more about quitting too.

With our mechanisms in place limiting the number of people who join and post, some may think that things being written here may not be being seen by many people or helping many people. These assessments are wrong. The odds are that every word being written here at Freedom by our members and managers alike are helping to influence countless numbers of people.

As it says above, "Every person posting at Freedom has an awesome responsibility because every word you are writing is capable of influencing hundreds or even thousands of people. Considering what we are trying to influence them to do, which is to quit smoking and to save their lives, it is easy to see why we feel that this is indeed an awesome responsibility."

The Freedom classroom is a venue to help hopeful quitters to see that life does go on for people after they quit and that in many ways life is a whole lot simpler and better once a person makes the commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel

15 Sep 2005, 19:16 #13

I wrote the following comment today in the string Reading at other quit smoking sites . It made me think of this string and how important it is that people have a resource such as ours to put quitting into perspective.

I had an email today from a young woman who had only smoked for a few years, was planning on quitting cold turkey, but who was terrified of quitting because of all of the horror stories she has read about withdrawal symptoms. She sounded pretty convinced that the withdrawals that people experience are so terrible that she would lose her mind.

I am assuming that she has been getting these stories on Internet based quit sites, considering she wrote about all of the horror stories that she "read" as opposed to all of the horror stories that she "heard" about.

Along with a few personal remarks, I sent her back a copy of the original post in this string (Reading at other quit smoking sites ) along with the links.

I don't know whether she reads specifically at Freedom or not, but I suspect a lot of people are just like her, almost crippled with fear from even attempting to quit because of the way quitting is portrayed at most sites. It is tragic that people have such a misperception for it keeps many from even trying to quit, who go on smoking and then developing diseases and conditions that are truly terrifying, experiences pain and agony that are truly horrific, suffering with these maladies for days, weeks, months and sometimes even years and eventually end up losing their lives to the smoking induced conditions.

Withdrawals from quitting, even when they are really worse than normal, are not as bad as the symptoms people experience from getting smoking induced diseases and only last a matter of a few days at most.

To minimize the chance of experiencing real pain and agony over a lifetime is as simple as making and sticking to a personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel
Last edited by Joel on 16 Oct 2009, 18:29, edited 2 times in total.

Joel

14 Dec 2005, 16:51 #14

I am passed the 2 month milestone so I am not able to join the Freedom Club, but I just wanted to let all of you know that because of all of you on the board and all of Joel's educational information I have been able to finally kick the habit!!!!

I have been a 20 + year smoker with a couple of failed quits. You all have been with me since the very beginning….. I kept my eye on the clock to make sure that my cravings only lasted the exact amount of time and that I could then breath a sigh of relief and go on with another few minutes to finally make that 72 hour mark….. yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

I had finally made it, now I was officially a nonsmoker and could join the club… I never did join the club but decided to stay a lurker a little bit longer, now it's to late but I did want to thank you all so much, I have tears in my eyes as I'm writing this, because as you all know this quitting thing is a big deal and when you finally succeed you have all these emotions, but few words can exactly express all your feelings.

If there is any way to pass on my gratefulness to everyone, please do!!!! I continue to lurk and gather strength from all, and when I read about another newbie's trials and tribs, I just want to let them know to keep with it, and to definitely know that things do get lots better, even though your junkie mind will say no it won't….don't listen it does!!! Now I'm rambling…just wanted to let someone who understands know that I have quit and that you would all be proud and just to thank everyone for helping me keep this quit.

Hugs to all

NTAP

Gump19690

23 Aug 2008, 21:19 #15

What are you doing all the way down here?

Go back up and read the opening postImage

Joe J free

06 Oct 2010, 18:23 #16

"Every person posting at Freedom has an awesome responsibility because every word you are writing is capable of influencing hundreds or even thousands of people. Considering what we are trying to influence them to do, which is to quit smoking and to save their lives, it is easy to see why we feel that this is indeed an awesome responsibility."

Joel