The Final Truth

Retraining the conscious mind
astra2785

19 Jan 2006, 17:48 #11

My quit is just over two weeks old, and this is exactly what I needed to hear tonight.

Maija

LizzyB

26 Jun 2006, 22:58 #12

As a recovering, former relapsed smoker (6 1/2 days nicotine free, yay!), I can say that the first cigarette after 4+ years quit tasted like Luther's Boot. It was horrible. I smoked the whole thing wondering why I was smoking it. (Answer: tequilla and complacency.)
I woke up the next morning feeling worse than any hangover could possibly feel - because I wasn't hungover. I'd inhaled poison the night before. My head was killing me, I felt nausous, my lung felt as though I'd sucked up broken glass.
There was no ahhhhhhhh feeling. It was more like, "aauugghh!!!" What have I done to myself??
So why'd I go back for the second - 100,000th one?
Because one puff = all of them.
Starting again would be just like starting from the beginning - just as horrible-tasting, just as nauseating, just as cough/gag-producting. It wasn't the smoking that gave you the "ahhhhh," it was the sitting back, clearing your mind and taking a deep breath.
Try that instead.
Never go back. Never give up. Never take another puff!!

Lizzy - Free and Healing for Six Days, 11 Hours and 27 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 18 Hours, by avoiding the use of 227 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $39.69.

JoeJFree Gold

05 Jul 2006, 07:42 #13

Although we often hated being smokers and our bondage, there is no denying that each of those 146,000 nicotine fixes helped, to some degree, to bring relief from falling blood nicotine levels that were beginning to deprive us of a level of dopamine to which we'd grown accustomed. Each of them were played a vital role in restoring us to a level of comfort upon which we had each come to depend. We created our own artificial sense of normalcy, our own addiction comfort level that each year required a bit more nicotine to achieve and sustain. Yes, each fix brought the addict in us a true sense of comfort (from the pains of our own addiction) and yes all those memories still remain, but one important thing has changed - our brain no longer has a chemical need for nicotine!

If you go back through old old Freedom threads and read all of the descriptions of relapses that occurred beyond week two, they almost all sound identical. They read like this, "I had a mouth full of smoke, I was dizzy and I coughed but I didn't get the sense of satisfaction that I expected." "It just didn't come!" JohnP (from Original Post).

It Would Be Awful!!!

No thank you, I can't have a cigarette - already had my "Bucket Full".

Simply choose to remain how you ought to be - Free. JoeJ
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 16 Jan 2010, 05:10, edited 2 times in total.

no4thewin

23 Jul 2006, 10:19 #14

"Those aaahhh memories belong to an endlessly feeding nicotine dependent human who was in need a puff of nicotine. Isn't it time that you allowed yourself to let them go! Isn't it time to see each of them as evidence of your former bondage!"

I'm so happy I read thisImage. I get it now. Thx once again.

JoeJFree Gold

23 Aug 2006, 19:05 #15

Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 08 Sep 2010, 17:42, edited 2 times in total.

twinzdad1

23 Oct 2006, 07:14 #16

I'd just like to give a shout out to my quit twin, JoeJFree-Gold. I am happy to report that I am also approaching double gold. I could not have done it without WhyQuit. Keep on providing that inspiration to the newbies and lurkers.

Twinzdad

JoeJFree Gold

24 Mar 2007, 05:16 #17

ImageFor AJ:
All because some guys on the internet took the time to explain how I could be forever free if I just stayed with my decision to Not Take Another Puff, for the rest of Today!
YOU CAN BE FREE TOO!! DO IT NOW

I want one...

How would you deal with the following situations? Is chemical addiction ever a solution?

Is relapse a natural part of the addiction process?
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 05 Nov 2009, 01:45, edited 3 times in total.

JoeJFree Gold

15 May 2008, 01:56 #18

Is it any surprise that we often think of or encounter an association to an activity that many of us repeated more than a MILLION Times.

THINKING vs. WANTING - there IS a difference

The Final Truth remains the same.

We don't need nicotine to live, never did & never will.
After a Million or so puffs of poison (in my case 3 MillionImage) is it any surprise that it may take awhile to recover our natural normal life rythmn? When we each choose to end the addiction cycle abruptly it takes One day at a time , Patience , and some Reading and growth to recondition our psychological thought patterns. We do eventually overcome our addiction use mindset the same way we became caught in the addiction use rut - by repetition of choosing to not do something we never were supposed to do in the first place. The physical addiction is left behind quite quickly as long as we keep the one rule of no nicotine for the rest of today. We do recover our right minds, by learning and loving to live again as we have always meant to live - clean of nicotine and free to be.......just plain 'ol you or me.......Joe J free 40 months Image
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 05 Nov 2009, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

starbirder.ffn

20 Aug 2008, 21:46 #19

"If ya wanna be really good at something what do ya do?
Yeah, that's right you practice, practice, practice.
Repetition creates consistency, ensures muscle memory, grooves your mental reactions, AhHah!
.....JoeJ

"You Just Gotta Wanna" Big Al J on reaching Gold
Star Image 1 Year, 1 Month, 6 days
Always addicted, but now calm and comfortable without the constant need for nicotine, I now choose-not to use!!!
You can too......just practice!!!
Last edited by starbirder.ffn on 05 Nov 2009, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.