The Fan Letter

Physical healing of the body and mind
Joel

05 Apr 2001, 20:57 #11

I am bringing this one up for Joanne today. The day I addressed it last was a couple of weeks ago after a panel discussion. As noted, there were several people who missed that session, and at the time I know it was a mistake for many of them. One of them relapsed a few nights ago, and I know Joanne took the loss hard. We really do become close to people in live clinics. We want everyone to succeed. It is hard for anyone to get lost in the crowd when seeing them day after day live. The person we lost was only 19 years old, and I actually made an impassioned plea for her to catch this particular session when I knew she had social plans up that night, as well as another she missed. But you can't force people to set priorities.

I do wish everyone who I ever met either live or online would quit smoking, but the reality is that some will not make it. Usually over half do in my clinics, and while we don't have any accurate tracking mechanisms for our Freedom boards statistics, it appears we have a good track record from overall appearance of things here. We all have to keep ourselves focused on those we do help, and also understand that we have educated everyone who comes through our doors, whether our real or virtual doors. Hopefully that education will help even those who we lose before it may be too late.

But for everyone who is here today and smoke free, whether it be for a day or a few years now, we should all feel great that we have a site to keep us all focused on this life saving venture. For those of you who primarily use only the board, do try to read all the letters in the library at some point. The material there may give you just a little added boost that while, it may not be essential today or even tomorrow, it may prepare you for unseen eventualities that can happen down the road.

Keep your guard up and ammunition reinforced to keep your resolve strong to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

14 Oct 2001, 06:57 #12

Again I had nine people miss my panel discussion at my clinic last night. I have reached all but one of the people this morning and they were okay, but I always feel bad when participants miss such a valuable session. While it is true that life must go on even when quitting, there is seldom other things happening the particular two hours that carry such life and death implications as quitting smoking or not quitting smoking. I hope everyone here always treats not smoking with the utmost importance and due respect, and always do as much as they can to keep their resolve reinforced and their desire strong to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

11 Nov 2001, 21:04 #13

Image Keeping your focus as to why you quit and why you want to stay off should always be given a little time and a lot of priority over other issues that may be happening in your life. If you are in the early stages of your quit, devote as much time as you can to learn and understand as much as you can of the importance of quitting and staying off of nicotine. Longer-term ex-smokers probably don't need to spend an inordinate amount of time or effort, they just need to remind themselves of how far they have come and equally important, how far back they never want to go by quitting when they did. For them to stay free now simply entails remembering that they made the decision and have now committed to themselves that they will never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

10 Dec 2001, 23:27 #14

Image Again I had my panel night on Friday and again about seven or eight class members skipped the session because of Friday night commitments. It never ceases to amaze me how many people mix up their priorities. One of the panelists was a woman who had gone through one of my early clinics back in January of 1978. After almost 24 years she reiterated how she still viewed quitting smoking as one of her greatest accomplishments of her life and that every day is still a big deal. I think our 15-year panelist agreed with her, as well as all of our other panelists, ranging from four months to almost a year smoke free.
In the beginning it is of course crucial and obvious that you should keep not smoking a big deal, but as time goes on it is still important to remind yourself that quitting smoking is a big deal and still deserves a high level of priority. It doesn't take a lot to reinforce a quit; probably just a few minutes a day. Read the post "I will not smoke today," and every day remind yourself how proud you are of yourself and renew your commitment for tomorrow to never take another puff!
Joel

Joel

21 May 2002, 19:34 #15

Image For Jonas:

Keep in mind that as important as other things seem to be, even final exams, the test you are taking to prove that you can quit smoking has even more serious implications for your life. Passing this test of staying smoke free will literally save your health--flunking it carries ramifications that are crippling and deadly. Good luck on all your tests, but keep this one among your highest priority--prove to yourself that even under tests you can stick to your goal to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

07 Jun 2002, 14:40 #16

I had a few people miss tonights session because of prior committments. I know Friday nights this is often even a bigger problem because of weekend plans. I figured in the longshot that any of them happen to look in at Freedom today, this one may push them a little into rearranging their plans around to coming to the clinic. But also all of our members should recognize that there is nothing that they are doing that is as important as keeping themselves focused on the importance of staying reinforced to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

17 Sep 2002, 18:07 #17

This is a letter that just illustrates the importance of keeping your priorities straight. It is aimed more at our newer members than our members in a more mature quit state. We want our newer member to spend a lot of time reading here at Freedom and basically, going through the whole quit library and materials at www.whyquit.com.

We want all our new members to have all the basic information available here as ammunition whenever they need it. The messages or materials may not even be crucial the day you read them but they may be preparing you for triggers and situations that happen well into the future. So for you earlier quitters put your priorities now into getting as deep and thorough of an understanding now as to why you smoked, why you knew you should stop, how much work and effort you put into quitting and most importantly now, how to stay off cigarettes.

For our longer-term members, know that dropping in and lending support to our newer member is doing a great service to people--the same service that others had likely done for you that helped you reach your Freedom too. Helping will reinforce your resolve too. As is said in many other recovery programs, "To keep it, you have to give it away." This adage is particularly true in the case of your knowledge and motivation of smoking cessation.

Whether you are off smoking for hours or decades, the way to stay off now is by always remembering your addiction, appreciating your Freedom and reaffirming your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel
Last edited by Joel on 15 Jan 2012, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

28 Oct 2002, 03:16 #18

Nicotine addiction is a terrible reason to die yet half of all adult smokers miss
out on roughly 5,000 days of life. Nicotine addicton cost Bryan and Noni
over 14,000 days of life. Haven't each of us given enough already?  
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Jan 2012, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

BirkyGOLD

22 Dec 2002, 23:57 #19

Joel, The information in your library is to the point, concise and a joy to read. Some people tend to over analyze , sometimes loosing the point completely. Thanks for keeping me focused in a simple manner. Birky 1 mth Plus

John (Gold)

31 Jul 2003, 00:13 #20

The next few minutes are a big deal!
Only one rule - no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff!