The best thing about my new life is ... ?

The best thing about my new life is ... ?

October 26th, 2000, 11:23 am #1

Thought we'd start a little Thursday survey post that gives each of us a chance to share a bit of our joy as we begin our new lives. Hopefully our honest words and thoughts will help inspire one of our brother or sister smokers to join us in this glorious journey!

The question for today is a fill in the blank and it reads....
The best thing I like about my new life is ....
Zep's Answer: These wonderful new lungs. After 30 years and being up to 3 packs a day, I did lots and lots of damage. I first noticed a significant change in my endurance upon physical exertion at about 3 months. It was almost like I could hold double the amount of air and engage in moderate activity without bending over after a minute or so, with my palms on my knees as I fought for each breath. I never in my wildest dreams thought that they could heal themselves so. It's magic! Today, almost 1 1/2 years since my freedom, even at 46, I run like the wind and my eyes still swell with pride as each time I'm stronger than before. I wish that every long term smoker could have experienced this awesome journey with me, as they would surely find hope in their healing. Breathe deep, hug hard, live long Freedom!

October 26th, 2000, 11:40 am #2

The best thing about my new life, is the feeling of innocents that has been restored since being determined to not take another puff!! I suppose smoking was the FIRST thing i did to rebel against all that was good and wholsome in life. And now in reverse, it is the last thing i gave up to return to feeling good and wholsome about life again!!! Of coursr there is more, but this is upmost on my mind, these days. Thanks for the post!!! Christiana. One month, four days, 14 hours, 37 minutes and 1 second. 1038 cigarettes not smoked, saving $155.74. Life saved: 3 days, 14 hours, 30 minutes.

October 26th, 2000, 2:17 pm #3

The best thing about my new life is my new self confidence in everything I do, knowing that I will not be controlled by those stinking cigarettes. Really, since quitting smoking the best things about my life are too many to list, maybe a better question would be what do I not enjoy about my new life - that list would be much shorter!!

GrumpyGuy

One month, two weeks, four days, 1 minute and 0 seconds. 1440 cigarettes not smoked, saving $240.00. Life saved: 5 days, 0 minutes.

October 26th, 2000, 3:42 pm #4

I was just thinking about this today!!!!
1.) I don't STINK!!!
2.) My husband says I don't STINK
3.) My car doesn't stink
4.) I don't have to worry about cigs flying back into my car ;)
5.) No yucky ashtrays
6.) I can take a DEEP breath without a sharp pain
7.) My kids and family are proud of me
8.) I don't have to run to the store EVERYDAYYYY just for cigs
9.) All the wonderful new friends I have met here
10.) The fact that I cannot even list ALL the awesome benefits on one page :))))))))))))
Happy Thursday All
Chele~
One week, six days, 3 hours, 51 minutes and 10 seconds. 263 cigarettes not smoked, saving $55.93. Life saved: 21 hours, 55 minutes.
Last edited by CheleBell on March 6th, 2009, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 26th, 2000, 6:26 pm #5

hey, it is a small thing, but it is a big thing...
I can sit through a 3 hour exam and not be thinking the whole last hour "just hurry up and finnish this thing... I need a ciggey...." Could you imagine? I am actually more productive

October 26th, 2000, 7:42 pm #6

Well, the best thing about my new life is, besides BEING GREEN AND GOING AROUND LOOKING LIKE THIS FUNNY CRITTER ABOVE HERE, is energy. I GOT TO DANCE AT MY SON'S WEDDING! Before, I thought I could only maybe do a slow dance, but I got do dance to the fast ones, one after the other, without having to sit down 1/2 way through to take a breather. I can climb up a flight of steps, and now, maybe 2 (I'm not pushing it). I CAN BREATHE. I've saved enough money to not only buy dresses to wear to my son's wedding, but to help out financially with last minute things. I can breathe. Now, I'll be able to have some extra money to help with my daughter's wedding in February. I don't knock over dirty ashtrays onto my carpet. I look out the windows at work, see people out there smoking and pat myself on the back, cause IT ISN'T ME! I can breathe better than they can. My car smells better. And I've taken a major improvement for the rest of my life, that is hard for a lot of people to top! I've extended my life. Now, if I could just beat this eating and sleeping thing I have ...
Jitterbug, smokefree for One month, three weeks, two days, 17 hours, 22 minutes and 37 seconds. 1074 cigarettes not smoked, saving $206.84. Life saved: 3 days, 17 hours, 30 minutes.

October 26th, 2000, 9:08 pm #7

I am afraid I put a number of posts up today and dropped this one down the list. It is an important one that I hope grows throughout the days. It is so easy for major improvements to happen to ex-smokers that, because they came on gradually, don't get recognized or acknowledged by the individual.

This is a shame because these improvements could have become a major component to keeping the quit over the long haul. I am not asking anyone to make up improvements. Just state the ones that are true for you. By doing so, you remind yourself and also, others reading it may recognize for the first time that they had that improvement too, just never noticed it before.

One other point I want to make about some comments already in this string. Those of you who wrote you have more energy; did you used to believe you smoked for energy? Those who feel they are now more productive, did you used to think you smoked to be productive? Those of you who are calmer, did you used to smoke to calm yourself down? Those of you who wake up each day feeling more alert and alive, did you used to have to smoke to get yourself awake and out of bed? See a trend here?

Most of the things that people thought smoking was doing for them, it was in reality doing to them. It is only when you compare notes to your past life, pre and post quit that you see the hypocrisy of smoking in its entirety.

Lets keep this string growing and constantly reaffirm the benefits of not smoking. This will help everybody in their resolve to never take another puff!

Joel

October 26th, 2000, 9:40 pm #8

The best thing about my new life is.......I FEEL GOOD ABOUT MYSEF!!!! I did this...I made MY mind up and I DID IT. I am determinded to keep this quit...never to PUFF AGAIN. What a MAJOR accomplishment. Next comes the feeling of having more energy or at least getting tasks done faster. How many of us would enter into a task and have to put it aside to have a cigarette, then go back to it?? In just a short period of time I can feel my breathing better. Im not huffin' and puffin' going up and down the stairs, not wheezing and gasping for air and not covering myself in cologne so no one would notice the cigarette stench on me. This is a BETTER life..one that I intended to keep!! I want to turn this around and help others see what I have seen. Hopefully someone will learn from my mistakes and not make the same ones I did. Judy Five days, 15 hours, 7 minutes and 59 seconds. 197 cigarettes not smoked, saving $29.56. Life saved: 16 hours, 25 minutes.

October 26th, 2000, 11:12 pm #9

I really thought about this and...there are alot of differences in my life, but the biggest and most important is the pride i feel in doing this. I always thought i was too weak to quit smoking and that it would just...well...slowly kill me. How awful it was to feel so helpless!!!
Now I realize that i'm really not as weak as I thought and i am working real hard to use what I have gained here in all parts of my life. What an eye opening experience. Thank you for asking.
Debi
Four months, one day, 11 hours, 6 minutes and 39 seconds. 3703 cigarettes not smoked, saving $675.96. Life saved: 1 week, 5 days, 20 hours, 35 minutes.

October 26th, 2000, 11:48 pm #10

Ah, Freedom!!!
Never knew what Freedom meant....it is a term embraced by all forms of addiction and now I have joined that movement and am joining the thousand upon thousands whose lives have been controlled by addictive substance....whether it be alcohol, drugs or nicotine and have broken free from its bonds.
It is so easy to be seduced by a substance that gives us a false sense of euphoria....and this usually happens at a low point in our lives....or at least a point where we believe that we will feel better if we had something in us.......for me, that thought came to me, like most of you, at a very early age when I thought I was too heavy....and like most of you, it took me far too many years to realize that we can live and want to live without a deadly substance dictating our every move.
For me.....getting rid of the nicotine, dumping the monkey on my back, and learning to live my life substance free has given me the feeling of innocence, like Christiana has said before me. Once again, I am living my life in it's purest form....with NO substance giving me a false sense of happiness, wisdom, and feeling of well being. I am doing it on my own and it sure feels good to know that I can feel good, smile, work, think, play, eat, and relax, without feeling that I have to light up to do so. I think clearer, express myself more openly, walk taller and just plain feel that for once in my life....I am me!!

Linda......After smoking for 41 years...I have been smokefree for nine monthS, three weekS, one day, 23 hourS, 34 minuteS and 47 secondS. 5939 cigaretteS not smoked, saving $890.82.
Last edited by GrumpyOMrsS (Gold) on March 6th, 2009, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 27th, 2000, 1:13 am #11

The best thing about my new life is that it is a new life. I have learned not only to control my desire for nicotine but to also control other parts of my life. Somehow the battle to free myself from the grip of nicotine caused me to take a good look at other parts of my life. I was always very impulsive those displays at the checkout were made for me. I now find myself thinking about what I do and not making a snap decision a big improvement especially for me. There are of course other benefits improved health higher self esteem and not stinking up the place leaving a trail of cigarette butts. Everyone still cannot believe I have not had a cigarette in over two months and that makes me very proud. It never seemed that quitting was such a simple thing as never taking another puff but it is just keep your guard up and follow that one rule...Ed

After 46 years proud to be nicotine free for Two months, one week, three days, 13 hours, 11 minutes and 22 seconds. 1788 cigarettes not smoked, saving $408.73. Life saved: 6 days, 5 hours, 0 minutes.

October 27th, 2000, 2:40 am #12

Wow my NEW life. That sounds so cool. The best things so far (it's only been a week or so) are 1. that sparkle and loving look in my 16 year old son's eyes when he asks me (every day when he gets home) Did you smoke, mom? and I can say NO! 2.I don't have to spend half my day either outside or in the garage(jeez I get so much done now! Smoking took up lots of time) 3. My hair still smells good 20 hours after my last shower 4. I don't have to suffer the whole 2nd half of a football game (or any other event for that matter) cause I can only think "I wish this would end so I could have a cig" wow, it's only been One week, two days, 14 hours, 32 minutes and 28 seconds. 240 cigarettes not smoked, saving $35.42. Life saved: 20 hours, 0 minutes but already I have more good things to say about my new life than I can put in one post. By the way, Joel, thanks for this. It really changed my attitude in a big way to think through this!
April

October 27th, 2000, 2:54 am #13

I wanted to think this over thouroughly before posting. I believe the most important thing is my self esteem. After trying so many times to quit the wrong way, I didn't think I ever could. It is still hard to believe that I am actually NICOTINE FREE. But I am. I know I can stay this way the rest of my life as long as I never take another puff. Thanks to all of you longtimers for teaching me that.
There are all the other reasons that come very close, such as smelling good, the house stays cleaner, I can go lots of places comfortably that I couldn't before, etc. There are too many to post. I think the extra energy will come after I lose some weight.
Hugs, Nora

October 27th, 2000, 3:02 am #14

Dear Grumpy O Mrs S. You said it so well for me. I hear you!! See we are not alone anymore either!!! In short, we are part of the human species again, and not something less than. Never mind, you know what i mean, i'm sure of it.!!! Thanks a gillion Grumpy aka Linda. Christiana

October 27th, 2000, 5:56 am #15

My new life is green,fresh, wonderful. My body is healing, my spirit is up (most of the time) And my senses are acute.

1. I don't have to HEAR everyone one around me complain and lecture. I don't have to hear that tell-tale rattle of a cough.

2. I don't have to SMELL like a bar room

3. I don't have to TOUCH and clean smelly, filthy ashtrays.

4.I don't have to TASTE that horrible stale smoke in morning.

5. I don't have to FEEL like i am gambling with life, that I am defeated and feel like the dumbest person in the world when a doctor asks me if I smoke, Then he just shakes his head indicating "HOW STUPID"

6. I don't have to SEE every old family photo of me where I am always holding a cigarette.

Once, I watched myself smoke in a mirror, not a pretty sight.

Thanks, Zep, for asking. Your why quits have been a real convincer.

god bless love ya nanakaren smokefree for over 1 month.

October 27th, 2000, 6:07 am #16

The BEST thing is getting up in the morning to "smell the daisies" It used to take me 10 minutes just to stop coughing. I can't believe that went away so fast. Also I'm proud of myself, and I really do have this wonderful sense of FREEDOM.
Two months, five days, 16 hours, 12 minutes and 59 seconds. 1666 cigarettes not smoked, saving $291.70. Life saved: 5 days, 18 hours, 50 minutes.
Last edited by Joyce on March 6th, 2009, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 27th, 2000, 6:14 am #17

I don't have to feel guilty!!! That is the BEST part. I am looking forward to the rest of my life instead of living in fear of what the consequences of smoking would be. I don't have to wash my hands constantly anymore or worry if I smell. My hair ALWAYS smells good! I don't have to hide smoking from my Mom. I don't have to stand out in the cold rain to have a cigerette. I don't cough in the morning. I can work out at the gym. I feel MUCH more relaxed and calm. I deal with my feelings now instead of running from them and I feel STRONG. I could list many more of the wonderful blessings in my life since I quit. Thank you to the managers of this site for being there for us and to all of you for being there for eachother. It's a beautiful thing!

Melissa
6 GREAT weeks

October 27th, 2000, 6:27 am #18

MY FRIENDS AT FREEDOM
NOT HAVING TO BUY CIGARETTE$
THINKING I COULD ACTUALLY
FLY TO AUSTRALIA WITHOUT SMOKING
NOT HAVING TO TAKE A PURSE
TO HOLD MY CIGARETTES
NOT FEELING LIKE AN OUTCAST
HAVING THAT
FRESHLY-SHOWERED-SMELL
LAST A LONG TIME
HAVING A NON-SMOKING
HOTEL ROOM AND ENJOYING IT
CHEWY

Deb

October 29th, 2000, 1:04 pm #19

I just came across this. What a question to anwer. I feel my life has done just a 45 degree turn toward the right way of life for me. I have noticed that in the last 5 months of not smoking I no longer wheeze. I no longer have episodes of asthma attacks like I use to. Whe the doctor silence to my lungs their clear instead of sounding like a roaring train. My blood O2 level has raised to 99 o/o instead of the 80 something number they gave me. I can't wait for my next lung function test to be done. I also see how my self-esteem has raisen with in and about myself. I remember how I use to count the minutes, seconds for a break at work. And now I know that I'm no longer under the strong hold of nicotine. And that the blinders of being an addict have finally been removed. I feel now that I can continue to run with my quit nowing that being an addict there will always be times when the temptation will be there. But I've won and want to remain a winner. I've had other quit that weren't successful but this time I did it for myself instead of some one telling me I had too. I did it for me. I did it because I like me. So, to make it shorter I quit has given me more self-esteem, better health, the knowledge that I have an addiction but have control of it, and a new family that I found here at Freedom. Thanks for letting me reflect. Deb I have been Quit for: 5M 1W 1D 22h 32m 55s. I have NOT smoked 6477, for a savings of $900.38. Life Saved: 3W 1D 11h 45m.

October 29th, 2000, 2:13 pm #20

.....I don't know if it's the best, but it's pretty funny. My husband said that he could always find me in a store because he could listen and hear me hacking and coughing eventually. Hee-hee...now he can't find me. LOL!

Okay..enough sillyness...the best thing about my new life is that I don't have to excuse myself from anywhere to go outside to smoke and I can enjoy my friendships and conversations without that interruption that use to control my life. AMEN!!!!!

Benita
By the Grace of God I have quit smoking for 1Y 11M 6D 23h 54m 31s. I have NOT smoked 21209, for a savings of $3,446.60. Life Saved: 2M 1W 5D 15h 25m.

October 29th, 2000, 9:18 pm #21

It's very hard to "talk" after everybody did. Everybody before me said everything I should to say.
Most important thing is

A SENSE OF FREEDOM

My daughter still don't believe I am a non-smoker. During this visit she is able to see me as a non-smoker for the very first time, she can remember and our quitting inspired her.
We will keep our fingers crossed for her.
Best wishes everyone.
Bolko
Smoke free for 2 months, 1 week, and something.

October 30th, 2000, 2:08 am #22

The best thing about my new life? Well, that is something that I can't mention to my family but can here - I GOT ONE OVER ON MY DAD! My dad smoked for most of his (short) life, and died at 54 from heart disease due to smoking about 50-60 a day. The first time I had a cigarette in front of him, I was actually hoping that he would hit the roof, but he didnt - just said that he didnt care about me, but not to influence my younger brother!( a bit of a laugh as he had been smoking longer than me!) Thereafter I smoked openly, almost agreeing with him by saying to myself that I wasnt worth much. But now I know DAD AND I WERE BOTH WRONG - I am worth something, and that I am worth not being addicted to something for such a stupid reason. My Dad died years ago, but I still feel that I have gotten one over on him, and that feels great.
Proud to be smokefree for:1month,1week,2 days, 1 hour. Saved £213.76 and 4 days,1hour and 35mins of life. Havent smoked 1171 cigarettes.
Thanks to all at Freedom for my Freedom! Love Vivienne :-)
Last edited by Vivienne(silver) on March 6th, 2009, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 30th, 2000, 6:16 am #23

I don't have to be ashamed when hearing from my 7 year old son..... Mommy, I wish you didn't smoke. I wish those people NEVER EVER made cigarettes so people wouldn't smoke. I HATE smoking mommy.

My oldest son (10 years old) would say those things when he was 5 to 7 years old. But as he got older it was like he gave up on me. He would just silently disagree. It broke my heart because I grew up in a smoke free family and I wanted that for my children.

So the best thing about my new life is when my children look at me now with joy instead of worry. They don't encourage me much by words..it is there silence that encourages me. Before they made there voices heard about how they hated the smoke. Now they can be silent and comforted..and I can finally stop worry about if I will ever get to see them graduate..get married or ever get to hold and enjoy my grandchildren. I have a huge desire and taste for life and I am not staying up nights wondering how young I am going to die from the affects from smoking.

Christy

October 30th, 2000, 11:24 am #24

I do not have anything about my life that I am ashamed of. Smoking was it!
I sit here for along time thinking, and notice my SLOW, EVEN, DEEP, BREATHING! What a present hum? It's a wonder I haven't had to let the hems down on all my skirts as I stand so much taller now.

I'm proud to join my voice with the rest, Dionne after 3 (whole) weeks free of nicotine

October 30th, 2000, 11:41 pm #25

The best thing I like about my new life is ....
that i am no longer causing my own asthma attacks! i love knowing that i am doing everything i can to live a healthy life instead of slowly shortening my life on a daily basis!

4 weeks, 3 days, 16 hours, 41 minutes, 25 seconds