The best thing about my new life is ... ?

20 Apr 2001, 01:10 #76

I was always in hiding wondering when I cld get away from "where I was trapped", even if it was a wonderful party that I was attending. What a horrible, miserable way to llive - so....I wld say that is the best thing that I have experienced. Not being a slave to something else. It is a horrible feeling to know that you are enslaved.

Having conquered this, I do feel that we can do whatever we believe in. This is probably, the single hardest thing I have ever done - and to some out of it successfully is a real ego booster.

My skin is definitely clearing up and my hair feels different (softer).

I wake up with NO problems at all in the monrings. I am NOT a morning person and it was always hard for me to wake up. I guess, part of the reason is also that I am not staying up too late, like I normally did when I smoked.

Mal

20 Apr 2001, 01:19 #77

Morning, Do not know if these are the best things about my quit but I am enjoying them. One is I can sing again and have control of my breathing, where I had lost it when I smoked. It has taken several months to come back but it seems to be getting better every day. Now I even want to sing ! The other thing is my hands and feet are not cold and blue anymore. They are pink and warm. This is not just because the weather is warming as it even snowed the other day and they were still warm. Have to say it really scared me when they had a blueish cast to them. DAH !!!! Wake up I am telling myself !! So I did Thanks again to all of you for being there for me. Chris

20 Apr 2001, 10:41 #78

I am walking up and down my driveway without any problem. I especially noticed today that I was walking straight and taller because my legs didn't hurt going down the driveway - and I'm not huffing and puffing as much.
My singing voice is also growing back to it's original range which is a wonderful feeling as I am a musician and my voice is important in my choral directing and in basic folk singing. what a nice feeling that is.
tho i'm still not sleeping thru the nites yet - i'm at least not wheezing thru the nites anymore - I like that a lot.
MONEY, MONEY, MONEY - that i stash away daily as i watch the quit meter go up and up. i'm saving this and make sure i put it away daily - after all - i certainly would have made sure that i bought the cigarettes - so i would have definitely spent that money.
i just plain feel better about myself in general.

Anne
Two weeks, five days, 20 hours, 16 minutes and 43 seconds. 277 cigarettes not smoked, saving $48.62. Life saved: 23 hours, 5 minutes.

20 Apr 2001, 13:01 #79

Not smoking is a blessing...I am free to be able to not worry where I can light up....
I feel blessed that life feels better....smells are wonderful ((the salty air by the ocean was awesome when I was in Florida!!!!)) and I can look into my beautiful daughters' eyes and say "Yes, I love you and want to spend my time BEING with you and not waisting my time finding a place to smoke because it offends you!"

feeling alive and being able to not succumb to a useless addiction and be confined and scrutinized and feel lousy through and through is a blessing...It takes so much to realize but when the lights come on...all the rest comes natural./... if we are willing to accept that being tobacco free is worth a lifetime of living happy and healthy!
Thanks to Joel, Zerp and Linda and everyone at Freedom for the strength and spirit to live without another PUFF!!
god bless you all!!!
Pamela
Three months, two weeks, three days, 16 hours, 44 minutes and 23 seconds. 2153 cigarettes not smoked, saving $350.02. Life saved: 1 week, 11 hours, 25 minutes.

20 Apr 2001, 13:04 #80

hey , Zep.... Pkease forgive me... I know you are not a Zerp....**smile**
pardon my typo!!!! :)
pamela

21 Apr 2001, 22:49 #81

.........is that I feel like I gained so much....... I remember everything revolved around my cigs. My kids or husband would want me for something and I would say "wait a minute honey, i'm finishing my smoke right now" and i would always be looking at the clock to see how many minutes is appropriate amout of time before lighting again. My husband and I are loving that the house smells nice and there is no smoke furling around. I realize now too that my smokes kept me tied to the house. " I can't go to the show!! I would have to go 2 hours with no smoke! It feels great to say non-smoking section in the restaurant! There are so many great things about quitting that just one doesn't stand out. I never realized how much time i spent smoking and or wanting a smoke! now it feels good to not worry and stress over it.

22 Apr 2001, 02:13 #82

Freedom - I'm really living my life and am in control now - rather than 'dying for a cigarette'. I have tons of energy, and so much more time because a) I'm not stopping to smoke and b) I do things 'now' rather than put them off because I'm so lethargic. Even housework takes less times because the house is less dusty and I have more energy to do it.

Peace of mind, at last. I wake up every morning and feel content and enthusiastic about what's ahead. Courage, self-respect, self-belief. I could go on and on and on, because absolutely every aspect of myself and my life is enhanced by this wonderful thing I did for myself.

Fee

06 May 2001, 04:53 #83

I can relate to all of the posts about the improvements in your lives. So, there is no need for me to repeat them all. One thing that is one of the best parts of my new life is that I no longer have to change my clothes to go back to work....take an extra bath or two during the day....and burn candles constantly in the house to cover up the smell. If I put perfume on in the morning, it is still there in the evening. My house smells wonderful, as does my car. But, above all, I HAVE CONTROL. I also learned a lesson about vanity. I was and am not happy about the weight that I gained, and I had to go out and buy huge sizes. LOL. But, you know what...I kind of had fun and made the best of it finding less expensive stores to shop at (in hopes it was temporary), and finding clothes that I would buy at my normal weight. I am not so digustingly obsessed with my weight anymore. Above all, I now do not have my famous excuse not to quit smoking....I WILL GAIN WEIGHT. Thanks everyone for your support.

06 May 2001, 05:47 #84

The best thing about my new life is spending money and energy on my dreams instead of using the time and burning up the money on smoking. I have just signed up for a 10 week course at the NH Institute of Art.
Mary (24 days)

07 May 2001, 08:13 #85

Just a simple "I smell good when I hug my girls"....

09 May 2001, 16:29 #86

$336.37 saved and My "Life" seems Clearer

09 May 2001, 22:51 #87

I can be very possessive of my time, so I've been enjoying the extra 140 minutes I have in every day to focus on living rather than on an addiction that will kill me. I set aside the time to read, catch up with long-distance friends, or pet my cats. That's another thing I love - my cats don't smell like smoke anymore. The white and grey one was starting to look a little yellow.

09 May 2001, 22:56 #88

The knowledge that I did something I didn't think I could.....leads me to
wonder what other things I can do that I thought I couldn't....
Also knowing that quitting smoking is the healthiest single thing I can do
for my body.....
feeling more calm than I ever remember....and breathing deep and often....

Cathy
One week, one day, 9 hours, 55 minutes and 38 seconds. 168 cigarettes not smoked, saving $25.24. Life saved: 14 hours, 0 minutes.

11 May 2001, 22:37 #89

I love this thread and come back and read it frequently, and if I was a smoker preparing to quit some of these little anecdotes would really inspire me.
The best thing about my new life is the fact that I am now getting seriously interested in the state of my health.
Pre-quit I thought it better to leave well enough alone, what I didn't know , couldn't hurt..............YQS Carolyn

P.S. I checked out A1

17 May 2001, 23:56 #90

I WOULD LIKE TO POST HERE AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK, BECAUSE AS TIME GOES BY, I FIND MORE AND MORE BEST THINGS ABOUT MY NEW LIFE:
Best thing this week is to be able to encourage my smoking friends and others to quit....also to be able to respond to other people's posts and being able to relate completely where they are
another best thing is to know how much I feel God is in my life...He has been with me every
step of the way, and I also feel that part of my withdrawals this time were minimal compared with last time...............
guess I'd better save some for later
LOL
thanks for starting this thread....it is so poignant.!!!!!!!!!!
Cathy
Two weeks, two days, 10 hours, 54 minutes and 37 seconds. 329 cigarettes not smoked, saving $49.36. Life saved: 1 day, 3 hours, 25 minutes.

23 May 2001, 01:25 #91

laying/sleeping on my back, comfortably
rolling up my car windows when I want to
breathing deeply and smelling all the wonderful smells
Cathy
Three weeks, 12 hours, 24 minutes and 14 seconds. 430 cigarettes not smoked, saving $64.55. Life saved: 1 day, 11 hours, 50 minutes.

23 May 2001, 02:01 #92

What do I love best about my new life? Everything. My sense of smell is back, I feel calmer, cleaner, healthier, and I sleep so much better. I am absolutely in love with my newfound freedom. AHHHHH.
YQS, Julia
2 Months, 25 days, and counting.

23 May 2001, 09:09 #93

It`s the same as my old life, only I`m different!!!! Since the start of my quit,
My sister had heart surgery. I haven`t smoked and handled it easier. I`ve
gained a lot of weight, but accept and love myself, and know somehow, I will
get it off .I haven`t smoked and will handle the food situation. My hubby was diagnosed with prostate cancer, we handled it together. I haven`t smoked. Through his surgery, being told they got it all, his recovery I haven`t smoked
and have learned, I love my life , I haven`t smoked and I can handle it!!!!
After 38years a smoker ~I`m free Five months, two weeks, one day, 9 hours, 1 minute and 37 seconds. 3327 cigarettes not smoked, saving $499.00. Life saved: 1 week, 4 days, 13 hours, 15 minutes.~ So far I can handle it!!!
Smooches to All Tessa
Ps I didn`t do it alone!!!! Thank God, Freedom ,and Cold Turkey Support
for guiding me ,supporting me and caring for me!
Last edited by Tessa on 06 Mar 2009, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

14 Jun 2001, 05:50 #94

It's that I don't have to spray perfume all day long and buy lots of breath mints to gulp down all day long...
I hardly have to blow my nose anymore
I notice the other smokers hacking and hacking especially when they laugh.............and I dont have to do that anymore
I am so grateful for my new life of FREEDOM
NTAP
CATHY
One month, one week, six days, 16 hours, 48 minutes and 37 seconds. 874 cigarettes not smoked, saving $131.10. Life saved: 3 days, 50 minutes.

14 Jun 2001, 06:01 #95

I don't have to LOOK at that DISGUSTING pile of BUTTS
around my front porch!!!!
EEEEKS!!!!

14 Jun 2001, 07:46 #96

Cathy is SO right - this is a great thread and once a week to check into it is a great idea. The best thing about my new life is....the house doesn't stink, the walls aren't turning yellow, the plants smell like plants, when I dust my t.v. the dust isn't yellowish; MY HEART MURMUR DOESN'T ACT UP ANYMORE, my skin is in better shape, the stains on my teeth are gone, my fingers don't have that interesting yellow-tipped glow anymore, my car smells like a car should, i don't cough up **** anymore and after 2 months and 2 weeks, I DON'T OBSESS ANYMORE......i am free.
Diana
I have chosen not to smoke for: 2 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 1 hour

14 Jun 2001, 08:44 #97

Just as the reasons I smoked, and the excuses for my past relapses are intertwined and too hard to separate, so are the things that are "best" about my new life. The benefits are so intertwined it would be impossible to pick just one. The health benefits were the first thing I noticed. I didn't use any of the three inhalers since I quit, nor the Singular pills. Yes, I was bad off and still smoked!!! I've gained a little weight, but I don't care much, I'll get the rest of it off, in time. I wouldn't trade how I feel physically to be skinnier for anything in the world. I love the freedom to move around, go places, and be with whomever I want to, because now I don't have to be concerned about having a place to smoke. I surely don't miss the shakey feeling, or how snappy I got when I was overdue for my nicotine fix. I love only going outside because I really want to be there, not because I need to be there to smoke. I love it that when I hug someone they smell me and not cigarettes, and later on if they think of me, they remember the fragrance of my perfume, or good clean soap, and not stale smoke. (Fang tells me that all the time!!!) I like the way I feel about myself each time I overcome a trigger, it's empowering, and the sense of accomplishment feels great. Way up on the list is how much I love to share my successes, and even my "road bumps" with the famiy here, and the lurkers out there, so maybe someone will benefit from my experiences and stay quit, too. Or in the case of a smoker, s/he will see that it may be difficult to quit, but no difficulty encountered during a quit is nearly as bad as the consequences of continuing to smoke. There is just no comparison. Neither is there any comparison between the "telling" of the benefits of quitting, and the "feeling and enjoying" of the benefits for oneself. It's just so awesome!!! Most of all I love the calm settled feeling within my spirit that I'm going to make it to the end this time. I've never enjoyed such peace about quitting before. I know that having the facts about smoking, and the truth about quitting and staying quit is a big part of the difference. I know that understanding my addiction is the key. I know I'm doing something, one day at a time, to make the quality of my life better, richer, healthier, more comfortable, and it just doesn't get any better than that!! And the people said....

17 Jun 2001, 06:35 #98

Just reiterating what everyone is saying - it was really refreshing being reminded of all the great things about my life now... not that I don't thank God every day, but it's nice to take time out. I don't have as much time here as I'd like, but when I do get here, it's great to see everyone doing so well, and sharing so much.

Mari - thanks for the reminder: "I wouldn't trade how I feel physically to be skinnier for anything in the world." You're so right. Nor would I, and I also know that having dealt with the demon, I can do anything. Pass the low-fat yoghurt!

Love to you all

Fee

07 Jul 2001, 00:22 #99

warm hands and feet.................
laying on my back without coughing and wheezing.......
the smell of soap on my body long after my shower.....
LOL
Cathy

27 Jul 2001, 08:45 #100

Zep,
The best thing for me is taking back control of my life and having the freedom to live a longer and healthier life, God willing! With that, every other benefit will follow.
Freedom Rocks!
Breathing Easier, Grateful at 2 Months and 6 Days
Last edited by Breathing Easier (Gold) on 06 Mar 2009, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.