MsArmstrongKIS
MsArmstrongKIS

July 24th, 2003, 11:54 pm #151

My re-found appreciation for physical activity is the major thing that sticks out in my head as the best, best, BEST thing about quitting. I used to be very athletic before I started smoking, but that all gradually came to an end as I started to get less and less enthusiastic about going for runs and swims and hikes.

I don't post as much as I used to but I have some posts I can't wait to make in the future. If I run the half marathon I am training for I will definitely take a picture and post it, because it will be entirely due to quitting smoking that I achieved that goal.

I go for a hike twice a week and usually I hike 10-12 miles. I hike FAST, now--3 miles/hour. I used to have to take smoke breaks on my hikes! Can you believe it? Every time I get to the top of a mountain, I think,

"This view was brought to you by NTAP!"

Oh, John, there are so, so, so many things that I love about not smoking. . .the other day a guy found out I had been a smoker and he couldn't believe it. That felt soooo good. In so many ways quitting has been a catalyst for change. It didn't happen overnight but with time all kinds of things were brought to light that I was missing out on or not enjoying to the fullest as a smoker. Next to physical activity, my favorite thing is my increased self-esteem. . .it's hard to explain but smoking just really brought me down, mentally. I am a much more positive person now. Hard to believe that such a seemingly small thing could change someone so much, isn't it?

Alex
5 months 11 days nicotine free!

Robin Lady Di
Robin Lady Di

July 26th, 2003, 5:04 am #152

The best thing about my new life is the fact that I ever summoned the courage to attempt to quit followed by actually quitting all nicotine cold turkey. I never thought I had the courage or the fight in me to put down the cigarettes and never pick them back up. I did a very good thing for myself, my health, and my self worth. I know this website and postings are directley resposible for me being able to stay quit. Every one of you cares about me and really want to see me succeed in quitting smoking. I read and post here most every day and gained so much knowledge that will help me not to slip and smoke again. I really feel confident about my future health for the first time in years. I had always assumed that I'd smoke until I died, I didn't beleive that quitting permanently was possible. Needless to say, my beleifs have changed and I managed to quit. It's so unreal to me that I don't smoke but it is real. I really quit. I'm treating myself better now and am so thankful for each and every one of you and the time you take out of your busy days to make a post. God bless every one of ya.

FreedomFlyer
FreedomFlyer

July 26th, 2003, 6:51 am #153

The best thing is having my life back, and no limitations about what I do and when. Both my body and mind now work better, I don't get so tired at the end of the day and sleep is especially great, I wake up in the morning refreshed instead with a fog in my head. Its all those little moments when you think of how much better it is now that your nicoteine free.

5 months 5 days of freedom and loving it.

MissC GOLD
MissC GOLD

July 26th, 2003, 9:35 am #154

Aside from the "obvious health benefits" from quitting, I'd like to add some rather small, simple pleasures in life that I've realized:
The first one that comes to mind is my next visit to my favorite hygenist (august appointment)... she will just be soooo pleased to hear that I've quit smoking. Every time I have an appointment with her, she's always saying stuff like "just do something, ANYTHING else, but smoke" she once suggested "knitting" oh, If only that were a cure :)
So, I got hooked on gummy bears in my initial quitting days (well, maybe sometimes I still like em) (okay, worms, letters, whatever gummy would work).... I've weaned myself off of those (kinda/sortsa/prettymuch), but noticed how much more I appreciate flavors and tastes. I can smell the coffee brewing in the morning while I lay in bed. what a wonderful aroma to wake up to
I noticed rather loudly the other day the ac blowing in my face and how cool and soft it felt. (Esp. in Florida in July). I think for some unknown reason, I am more aware of touch and smell than I ever was ... has anyone ever noticed how nice running water feels on your hands? or you back? really notice? how soft water is?
Hopefully, more simple revelations to come :)
Miss C
One week away from Bronze
Last edited by MissC GOLD on March 6th, 2009, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GooneyMan32
GooneyMan32

June 10th, 2004, 1:27 am #155

I CAN BREATH AGAIN

osabrava
osabrava

January 4th, 2005, 1:41 am #156

I'd have to say that the best thing about my new life is concurrence, the feeling that what I say and what I do are much more unified. How can you say that you revere life as a smoker? Smoking was incredibly dissonant for me, a way I told myself "I don't love you" every day. Quitting smoking has done amazing things for my self esteem, but more importantly it has connected me to life and love in a way that is so heartfelt, I'm grateful every day for my freedom from bondage.

Bernadette
Three months, two days, 9 hours, 40 minutes and 45 seconds. 1888 cigarettes not smoked, saving $425.00. Life saved: 6 days, 13 hours, 20 minutes.

TiffQuit
TiffQuit

February 25th, 2005, 12:40 pm #157

OooOOooOOOhhh. This is a GOOD thread!

twinzdad1
twinzdad1

February 25th, 2005, 1:16 pm #158

John:
This is a GREAT thread!! And such an easy answer for me.

The best thing I like about my new life is kissing my five year old twins and not having to kiss them on the head or turn away so they won't smell the smoke. I used to put them to sleep and go to the basement to smoke while watching TV. If they would cry out, I would run upstairs and hold them, but I always had to look away or over their
heads to avoid passing along that malefescent odor. YUK!!

That, among countless other expected and unexpected things, is the best thing I like about my new life.

Twinzdad
One month, two weeks, one day, 16 minutes and 18 seconds. 920 cigarettes not smoked, saving $276.07. Life saved: 3 days, 4 hours, 40 minutes.

kpgduras
kpgduras

February 25th, 2005, 10:09 pm #159

The best thing I like about my new life is the new self esteem I feel for myself as a quitter after more than 44 years of smoking.

Colin
Free and Healing for Ten Months, One Day, 22 Hours and 57 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 12 Days and 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 3671 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,487.21.

coryw42
coryw42

February 25th, 2005, 11:06 pm #160

The best thing about my new life is every day is a new and better day without a cigarette in it and knowing that tomorrow will be another cigarette free day and
accepting that with a deep breath and loving it. I quit numerous times and was not surprised I failed. This time is the first one that has felt so different and special.

Cory
29 days free from nicotine

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

February 26th, 2005, 12:07 am #161

Sense of smell at 4000%
Teeth whiter than white so I smile more now
Hair not falling out (well @ least it has slowed down)
Skin condition is better all over my body, my nails and hair are growing like crazy
Not embarassed or worried to hug my wife cause I smell so darn GOOD (instead of so darn bad)
Chronic bronchitis and many breathing difficulties packed up and left town with nicotine laden cigs
Chest pains are gone, even during aerobic exercise strain
Heart rate @ rest, blood pressure, cholesterol - all down significantly
However, Truth is, the best thing I like about My New Life is that I really like this calm, thoughtful,
sensitive, emotional, caring, happy with myself ME I've rediscovered.
I'm so grateful I finally chose to set me free.
BREATHE DEEP- HUG HARD - LIVE LONG in FREEDOM INDEED!
Thanks Zep! You're a Life Saver.
joejFree for 1 month, 16 days, 41 minutes and 31 seconds (46 days).
I've chosen not to smoke 1151nicotine delivery sticks thereby retaining $187.35
I've saved 3 days, 23 hours and 53 minutes of my life.
NTAP!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on March 6th, 2009, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CLB119
CLB119

February 26th, 2005, 12:31 am #162

All the great, supportive friends I've made at Freedom.
Thanks for being there everyone!

Chris
Free for 1 month, 6 days for a total of 1,469 nicotine delivery sticks I have chosen not to smoke!

TeraGold
TeraGold

March 8th, 2005, 10:11 pm #163

The best thing about my new life is that it is just plain easier. No more emptying and shaking out my purse every two days. No more getting up earlier to have time for that morning cigarette. No more dirty ashtrys to clean. No more decisions about that last 5 bucks (either eating or smoking). No more running out on loved ones to get my nicotine fix.

I am calm and laid back. My urges are pure.

Thanks and ntap
Tera (gold for one day... and counting)

tepake
tepake

March 9th, 2005, 2:21 am #164

Yeah, What TeraGold said.

Terry
109 days quit

ElevenPinkFlowers
ElevenPinkFlowers

December 5th, 2005, 6:45 pm #165

The best thing about my new life is...

... that I can go wherever I want without having to worry about my next fix.

Sailing boat on the Mediterranean for two weeks? No probs.
Baby's Christening party? Coming!
Hiking across the mountains for seven days in a row? Anytime!

PinkFlowers
Worrying less and less since 2 March 2005

Kristen Goldx3
Kristen Goldx3

January 19th, 2006, 11:18 pm #166

The best things...
Completing projects in less time because I don't have to take those frequent "breaks" anymore. Being able to breathe; not getting as sick as I once did. The wonderful sense of empowerment one gets when they are free of addiction!
Kristen
Last edited by Kristen Goldx3 on March 6th, 2009, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whosthisitsmesilly
whosthisitsmesilly

May 6th, 2006, 2:46 am #167

The best thing i like about my new life is: How i am aware of how calm i am and of my feelings. I can feel more and have more control of my actions and thoughts. I calm down ALOT quicker if i get wound up.
I have been quit for 1 Month, 4 Weeks, 19 hours, 48 minutes and 4 seconds (58 days). I have saved £244.12 by not smoking 1,176 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Days and 2 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 08/03/2006 00:00
Cathy
Last edited by whosthisitsmesilly on March 6th, 2009, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacqui672 Gold
Jacqui672 Gold

May 6th, 2006, 3:22 am #168

Wow. Where do I start? In a bit over a month, these things have happened.

1: I like being able to run on the treadmill instead of walking.
2: My gorgeous new skin!
3:The 4 new pairs of shoes I bought last month instead of cigarettes! Woohoo! Shoes!
4:My nails are long and strong!
5: I chopped my hair off, like a foot and a half and I swear it is growing in thicker!
6: I am so calm. I take the subway to and from work. I am 13 stops from where I get on, to my office. Usually, by stop 10, I'm starting to get crabby, withdrawal is kicking in, and if there are delays I'm a freakin mental case. Now, I am cool as a cat. I just read my book and relax.

Those are my top 6.

One month, one week, 5 hours, 23 minutes and 10 seconds. 1528 cigarettes not smoked, saving $420.01. Life saved: 5 days, 7 hours, 20 minutes.

chel
chel

May 7th, 2006, 6:26 pm #169

Too many best things about my life
my complexion
my breathing
my optimism
my speaking out
my courage
my hope
my future
I have been quit for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 4 Days, 5 hours, 25 minutes and 45 seconds (55 days). I have saved £143.58 by not smoking 552 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day and 22 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 13/03/2006 06:00
Last edited by chel on March 6th, 2009, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SallyGL
SallyGL

May 7th, 2006, 6:36 pm #170

The best thing I like about my new life is ....

The realisation that dreams can come true after all.

Sally
~ free for 61 days after 40+ years not.

ChurnedSue
ChurnedSue

May 7th, 2006, 7:43 pm #171

The best thing about my new life is........

That I do not......... eventually go to sleep every night and wake every morning feeling guilty because I have and will.....continue to smoke nicotine.

Sue
Free 4 months and 7 days after 45 years ANTAP.

realmarino
realmarino

May 7th, 2006, 9:17 pm #172

Hmmmmm..............The best thing about my new life is. That it truley is a new life. I am the real me now. Facing obsticles in life without running for a cig thinking it was a comforting tool.
Being cig free is the comfort. So... the best thing about my new life is realising that.

I have been quit for 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 10 hours, 17 minutes and 47 seconds (49 days). I have saved $140.86 by not smoking 593 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 1 hour and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 3/18/2006 11:00 PM

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

February 2nd, 2007, 4:16 am #173

It's the first of February and I saw, under Advice for Newbies, something about "What do you love most about your new life?" I immediately thought "I can."

Now I can breathe deep without coughing. I'm not chained to my purse. Chained to a pack. A lighter. I can go anywhere and swing my arms free. Not bound to anything except my daughter's hand. I don't stick her in a corner and say stay there as I disappear in a bank of grey smoke and guilt.

Now I can listen because I'm not bothered by a nagging inner voice calling for a fix. I can complete because I can focus. I'm learning, daily, what more I can do. I can learn. That's probably the best feeling of all. That I'm 50 and realizing life is opening up all over again. I love this. Who knew that quitting smoking, getting off nicotine, would lead to such gifts.
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on March 6th, 2009, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

come clean
come clean

February 2nd, 2007, 8:42 am #174

energy...

physical - less energy spent caughing and trying to heal self via sleeping, dragging self out of bed, physical activities are so much more fruitful now.

mental - while smoking i was in a circle of stunted thought, taking up hours of my time. now i have the time to think about other things, other areas of growth for me, other things of interest present in this world, etc

spiritual - my self reflection is sending out energy laced in pride instead of shame. believing in myself and my power to move through this hurdle in my life has awakened my sleeping belief in the power that exists in me, that can be tapped into whenever i need it.

alex
55 days of new energy

Freein07
Freein07

February 2nd, 2007, 8:59 am #175

Alex you say it so well: "my self reflection is sending out energy laced in pride instead of shame".
I had so much shame around smoking and that translated into feeling ashamed of who I was. That, in turn, kept me isolated. Finding the strength to keep my word to myself and NTAP has done wonders for how I look at myself and the world around me. Now it feels like the energy at my core is positive instead of negative. Who knew quitting had all these benefits in addition to the health related ones?!!
Ione
I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 5 Days, 16 hours, 57 minutes and 7 seconds (26 days). I have saved $170.91 by not smoking 427 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 11 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/6/2007 12:01 AM
Last edited by Freein07 on March 6th, 2009, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.