The best thing about my new life is ... ?

June 11th, 2002, 7:39 am #126

I guess the BEST thing is knowing that I, not a drug, am back in control of my life. Self-esteem. Knowing I've increased my chances for a long life is also a huge plus.

However, I've noticed a couple of smaller things lately. Little unexpected benefits.

1) My voice is back. I've always loved to sing.... and I'm not too bad either. Smoking was taking that away, a little bit at a time. I could definitely hear the difference slowly creeping in, as the years went by. I'm ringing out a lot more clearly now. Something to sing about.

2) Ears. My trip through the Sierras this past week saw continuous altitude fluctuations from 3,000 feet, up to nearly 10,000 at the eastern entrance to Yosemite. In the past, I've had wicked problems with pressure in my ears. Not a problem on this trip. No problems popping my ears when I needed to, and I rarely did. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure NOT having the irritants contained in cigarette smoke constantly messing with my sinuses had a lot to do with my newfound comfort with mountain travel.

Cheers,

Bob (5 months, 5 days)

June 28th, 2002, 11:49 am #127

....the best thing about my new life is taste and smell............... the amount of taste that i have gained is so weird.............i still can't put the right amount of surgar into my coffee or tea............but things taste so much better than i ever realized...........and smells!!........i can still smell my perfume at night in bed!!!..........i just went on an 18 hour trip and back with the hubby, and i could smell the rain like always, but this time i could smell the grass and dirt and flowers along the highway while driving!!!..........i LOVE my new life.....................and it really became very easy once i realized i was not denying myself a cigarette, but giving myself a chance.........

thanks for being here...............i am
yqs
sam - nicotine free for 1M 6d 35m

July 10th, 2002, 9:23 am #128

Translating John's post (above), I'm getting that the best thing about his new life is (are) those beautiful blue hightops he was able to buy with his savings.... oh, and the nice red hat too...Does everybody in Carolina look so good, John? Maybe just the ex-smokers.........

July 19th, 2002, 3:17 am #129

Thanks Bob, I needed that laugh! Are you making fun of my sneakers? I love my sneakers! Does everybody in Carolina look so good, you ask? Hey... it just comes with good living, Bob : )

If you're a newbie looking in and doubting for a second that it's far far EASIER being a comfortable ex-smoker than it is arranging the balance of your life around the next scheduled nicotine feeding, we're here to tell you that your memories of the "real" have been buried by years of dependency. This thread contains 160 post - 15 per page - each of which share a bit of what you're missing! Your chemical dependency has permanently altered your brain, but quitting is temporary and the comfort that follows can be permanent too, as as long as we never take another puff!
John - The Comfort Club

July 19th, 2002, 5:13 am #130

Greetings Fellow Freedom-Lovers !!!

The best thing I love about my new life is....

No more coughing in the morning, or at night before bed...so many times I literally worried that I would cough up a piece of lung or something..Grody to the MAX, I know...but true nonetheless.

Feeling so CLEAN...I was thinking of this last night. I still take a shower every day, I always have...but now I don't feel like I'm washing off a thin coating of nicotine everytime I shower...Plus my insides also just feel so CLEAN.

I love the smell of pretty much EVERYTHING now...with the exceptions of other peoples Barf-a-rettes and my sons feet when he forgets to wear socks with his shoes.

And so many, many more that I can't think of at this exact moment, but the biggest of all is that I simply love the feeling of truly being free. I've recently started experiencing totally free days and wow...how do I describe this feeling except to say that it's like the Ball & Chain have been cut from hanging around my ankles.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank YOU, Freedom !!!!!! So Glad I found you !!!

Brightest Blessings,
Tatum

Been kicking Nicodemons Butt to the Curb For 2 Months 2 Weeks 5 Days 6 Hours 52 Minutes 37 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 2408. Money saved: $301.07.

July 19th, 2002, 5:45 am #131

I love the freedom! I love being able to go anywhere I want, do anything I want, and not worry about whether or not I can break away to feed on nicotine. I love being able to play with my little one and not have to stop to go smoke. I love the way my car smells, the way I smell, the way my clothes smell.

I love spontaneous kisses.....I no longer have to panic and run to the bathroom to brush my teeth and shower if my hunny puts his arms around me. He is a non smoker, and I hated for him to have to smell me. That worry is over.

I could go on and on. But I think you all get the idea....
misha your quit sister
2 months 6 days

July 19th, 2002, 5:48 am #132

...the best thing about my new life is...

... NOT HAVING NICOTINE IN IT.

Yo John... Mitch are your service... you wonderful human being you....

All you lurkers.... you know smoking ****... it's increasing the chances of some henous disease and you know it's a bummer to have to run when it calls.... stink all the time...etc etc but.... you've cut a deal with the addiction and you know it. It's sad but true. You're an addict and the sooner you come to terms with that and choose health and well being over... well... you know what... the better.

It's really not as hard as you think. Look at all of us... just regular people... we're doing it... the sooner you quit... the more fun you'll have with us and the rest of your life... we're the best group of quitters on the planet. FREEDOM RULES

Mitch... a year and 3 mos

July 19th, 2002, 5:58 am #133

I need less sleeep and I have/remember more dreams.

Cigarettes or dreams - duh.

Alyson
23D20H56M

July 19th, 2002, 6:25 am #134

since i'm still real early into my quit the one thing i can say right now is that i don't miss that lethargic feeling i would get each time i smoked a cigarette. it was like i felt worse physically after smoking than i did while having a craving. i certainly don't miss that.

Six days, 23 hours, 47 minutes and 45 seconds. 104 cigarettes not smoked, saving $23.59. Life saved: 8 hours, 40 minutes.

July 19th, 2002, 6:57 am #135

Hi Ya'll--
I too love that I feel clean, and it feels great to walk past someone or hug someone I love and know I don't stink---But mostly I'm SO grateful that after 36 years I can already breathe better, and I'm feeling pretty dang good about myself right now!!!
I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Weeks 6 Hours 48 Minutes 26 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 199. Money saved: $40.99.

July 19th, 2002, 8:22 am #136

The best thing about my new life is my sense of smell and taste coming back.

Juan

August 11th, 2002, 6:47 pm #137

We enjoyed the company of friends this weekend - people I haven't seen in over a year. After a number of comments about how well I looked, I took a step back and really thought about what is different in my life now as compared to last year.

1. I definitely do look better - clearer skin and brighter eyes
2. I have a ton more energy
3. I can laugh, sing, dance, play...even run - without hacking like I was trying to cough up a lung
4. After an initial gain of weight, I now weigh around 20 lbs less than at the beginning of the year
5. My senses (all 5 of them) have improved beyond measure
6. I am more calm within myself and yet much more active physically

I feel so good about myself - and this is one thing I enjoy beyond measure - the self esteem that comes from knowing I've accomplished what I thought was well nigh impossible after 35+ years of smoking! If only I'd had the courage to quit years ago, like some of our newer members! And just in case any of them pop in to read this thread - do I still think about smoking? Only in the most negative way - I'm much too comfortable with my 'new self' - and believe me when I say I never thought I would ever say that!!

Ingrid

7 Months 1 Week 3 Days
Cigarettes not smoked 11109
Self esteem 100%

Great post Ingrid! Thought we'd share it over here too
Last edited by John (Gold) on March 6th, 2009, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 11th, 2002, 8:11 pm #138

For me the best thing happened this morning. I actually felt great when I woke up this morning. I haven't felt like that in a long time. I got up and fired up the coffee maker(I have found that I don't need the coffee that much anymore but I still enjoy it.) and was actually motivated enough to go out and walk/run about a mile this morning. I never would have felt good enough to do that while I still smoked.

David
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 2 Weeks 1 Day 8 Hours 10 Minutes 55 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 906. Money saved: $177.74.

August 21st, 2002, 12:38 pm #139

Oh, all right, I'll come and play in this one...
The best thing about my new life is...tomatoes! At least for today. Here's what happened:
Today is the weekly downtown farmer's market, just a block or two from the office. As a smoker, I would rush out of the office, and quickly light up to get started on the "lunchtime" smoking. Then I would step quickly through the market, barely looking at anything, because cigarettes were suppressing my appetite, and buying hardly anything, because smoking tied up my hands.
This time, boy, was it different. Now I could smell everything, and I needed to take my mind off smoking, so I mosied from vendor to vendor and checked everything out. There were some red pear and some yellow pear tomatoes for sale...these are a favorite of mine, so I bought some. And since this quit is about nothing if not about putting anything but a cigarette in my mouth, I popped a tomato in my mouth as I walked around, and...
Oh. my. GOD. That tastes...UNBELIEVABLE.
So now I have a much clearer understanding of the "because I like the taste" argument smokers use to support their habit...it must be that when you smoke, the smoke flavor becomes the default. I guess my reason for not taking another puff will be "because I like the taste"!
TDQ -- thedreadedquitter Da numbas:
1 Week 1 Hour 56 Minutes 36 Seconds.
177 cigs not smoked, saving $34.52.
Last edited by TDQ gold on March 6th, 2009, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 21st, 2002, 8:30 pm #140

The best thing about my life today is that it is no longer interrupted in order to get my fix. That's it. When I think about the things I'd have to stop doing to smoke - what a waste! The times I'd have to miss out on a conversation so I could "step outside," or television programs, or movies that I'd paid an outrageous price for, or playtime with my grandson, or time in the labor room/hospital with my daughter/children. Time lost that can't be regained. Not any more. But, then again, I no longer have cigarettes as my excuse to procrastinate.

Lynne

I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 4 Days 8 Hours 51 Minutes 17 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 1061. Money saved: $179.32.

August 31st, 2002, 11:40 pm #141

Ok, I'm by myself this morning and I figured this would be an appropriate thread to share this. I have an obnoxiously energetic dog and in the evenings I take him out back behind the house and throw his ball down the alley multiple times so that he settles down at night. Well, last night he decided to sniff a garbage can instead of bring the ball back, just as a car pulled into the alley. He was too engaged in the lovely garbage smells to come when I called him, so I sprinted all the way down to where he was to hold him so he wouldn't run in front of the car. As I was walking back, I realized something: I was not even slightly out of breath. I used to be a strong, fast runner and I robbed myself of that by smoking. This is the best thing about my new life: a general feeling of health and the confidence of knowing I can easily run after whatever needs catching.

September 1st, 2002, 6:41 am #142

There are too many good thing s to describe!! At the moment, I would have to say the best thing is I've started swimming again! I haven't been able to do this since I was a kid, as every time I've attempted to swim laps as a smoker, after half a lap I felt like I was drowning and had to stop. Also I've gained about a stone (?14 pounds), and I was at the end of my tether in regards to my weight gain. Anyway, started swimming a week ago, I can feel the weight coming off, it also seems to have suppressed my appetite slightly. BUT, the most amazing thing is this massive aaahhhh feeling I get on the way home and which lasts all day. THAT for me is the best thing, this sense of wellbeing and what I have done for myself.
Sue
I have kicked butt for 3 Months 1 Week 4 Days 7 Hours 12 Minutes 15 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 3099. Money saved: A$929.70.

September 3rd, 2002, 8:44 am #143

Eating More And Looking Better!
Janet
9 Months 2 Weeks

September 14th, 2002, 5:46 am #144

I feel GOOD!
After some initial fuzziness and confusion, I am again fully aware, and I feel GOOD.
Breathing feels good. Eating and drinking feel good. Even the air around me in this room feels good where it touches my skin.
I can't wait to see what's good next!!!
Amy

Almost one week!!!

September 14th, 2002, 10:00 am #145

I can run like the wind! (Without getting winded!)
JennyBoBenny
4 months 5 days Nicotene FREE!

September 18th, 2002, 1:40 pm #146

There are so many great things, it's hard to choose the best one. Recently, though, I'm kinda happy that I don't snore as much as I did when I smoked. It's saved me many elbows in the ribs in the middle of the night.

September 18th, 2002, 9:47 pm #147

This is candor morning. I really can't say what the best thing about quitting is for me. I feel better physically.so I guess that would be it--------I guess -------. I know I will protect this quit jealously and zealously--exactly why I am not sure, except for my initial reason for quitting which is as powerful as ever. I refuse to take any more chances of being an invalid ,dependent on loved ones. and messing up their lives. I have hopes that someday I will be able to give a more individual, personal, positive response.
Regretfully, Lilac

December 11th, 2002, 3:08 am #148

The best things for me are not going outside in the cold, not rolling down my window in the car and freezing my children and the fact that smoking does not control me, my life or my schedule now!
Patti

December 11th, 2002, 3:37 am #149

The best thing about my new life is knowing how easy it is to keep it, compared to how challenging it was to get it in the first place or how impossible it might be to someday try to get it back.

~Jeanne
Day 61 and totally in love with my quit!

January 8th, 2003, 12:33 pm #150

Which is easier?
Having a bad day
or
Being a drug addict who is having a bad day?
Did you know that Neversmokers have bad days too! It's true, but they don't take their bad day on an endless lifetime nicotine/dopamine roller-coaster ride and neither do I anymore! It may sound strange but it's much easier having an occasional bad day than it is turning that day into a reason to try and smoke yourself to death! I like this life! The next few minutes are doable!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John