The best thing about my new life is ... ?

18 Aug 2001, 22:17 #101

Last edited by John (Gold) on 06 Mar 2009, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

19 Aug 2001, 02:29 #102

After being "clean" for four days, what isn't my favorite thing?
EVERYTHING!!!

19 Aug 2001, 07:49 #103

the last time i wrote in this thread i was 2 weeks into my quit. i only really knew then that i wanted to be like so many others i saw on this site - several months into the quit. and now i'm there - and it's exciting and it feels grand. being a non-smoker is a very wonderful feeling.

anne

Four months, two weeks, four days, 18 hours, 29 minutes and 0 seconds. 1970 cigarettes not smoked, saving $344.78. Life saved: 6 days, 20 hours, 10 minutes.

20 Aug 2001, 01:12 #104

The very best thing is that my kids are VERY PROUD OF ME! I am proud of me too because after 29 years of smoking and at the age of 45, I am finally an adult! The health benefits are amazing, after a week I stopped snoring and now at 6 weeks 4 days my lungs can actually last longer than my leg muscles. Had to stop walking today because my LEGS were achy, not because I was wheezing and coughing. The capacity to heal is amazing. I actually feel sorry for people who still smoke.

Live long and prosper and NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
THREECROWS (GREEN)

20 Aug 2001, 23:17 #105

Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing this thread up this morning (I think it was you Zep!!) I really, really needed some positive reinforcement after a rough too many triggers weekend....I can't tell you how many times I marched around the house chanting our mantra "never take another puff"!! All your posts and your overwhelming joy and happiness have buoyed my mood right back up to a huge smile...AND, I am so incredibly glad to be FREE and so wonderfully alive....I love being my own boss instead of a slave to addiction!! Thanks to all of you!
YQS, Patty
Last edited by I win (GOLD) on 06 Mar 2009, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

11 Sep 2001, 01:18 #106

The best thing about my new life is ... at this point in my quit (3 mos. 3weeks) my answer is being able to go anywhere and stay as long as I like without "worrying" about not being able to smoke.

Examples: church, library, school meetings, soccer games, movies....I could go on & on. I was so controled by cigarettes!

I do feel like I have "Freedom From Tobacco" & it feels GREAT!!!!!!
Patsy

11 Sep 2001, 07:35 #107

I am going to live longer, happier and healthier.

One month, two weeks, two days, 15 hours, 38 minutes and 27 seconds ago the doctor said I was a walking heart attack and also was going for a world record in colesterol levels. I wanted to live. I screwed up the packet of sickarettes and handed them to him. I wish I had known about freedom years ago. This could have been done earlier knowing that the support and knowledge about this addiction was available. Thanks Freedom and everyone here for their inspiration. I feel better, I have more energy, I am eating, I feel wonderful, I will never take another puff.

Chris

21 Dec 2001, 11:12 #108

Missed this string before - I'll have to come hear and reread whenever I need a little inspiration. The best thing about my new life? Really hard choice - there are so many - but sleeping in that extra 30 minutes in the morning is high on the list. Good to remember how many aspects of life have been improved by simply never putting nicotine in my body. yqf Lorraine

31 Dec 2001, 14:19 #109

There are over 100 messages in this thread, many describing in beautiful terms the wonderful period of transition from nicotine addict to ex-smoker that we call "quitting." Quitting isn't an event but an unbelievable journey in healing. Don't dread it but embrace it and rejoice in suttle changes and little things!

For example, try and imagine your lungs having far more potential for healing than you ever thought possible. It's true! Unless the damage done is permanent, you should expect to experience an almost one-third increase in overall lung function in just 90 days! It's almost like turning back the clock and reversing the aging process just a bit.
We hope that those looking in will soon be pulling up this thread to add a wonderful new chapter for those that will follow. This is doable - baby steps, just focus on here and now! Breathe deep, hug hard, live long, YQB John : )
Last edited by John (Gold) on 06 Mar 2009, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

08 Jan 2002, 23:59 #110

I like that I can jog and play sports and climb stairs and on and on, without having to stop, pass out or hack up a lung! LOL Also, I can actually smell my perfume now! And my car doesn't smell like a 30 year old ashtray! And I don't have to be subconscience about my breath.
And I know I'm healthier, and my skin is better, and my lungs are stronger (I go to alot of football games, so that is very important!)

I think the best thing of all though, is that I did it. I'm so proud of myself. I haven't gained weight, I haven't eaten a ton of lollipops or candy or food period. I feel like this is how I was supposed to live my whole life...like this is just the natural thing to be. I mean there are times of stress and craving...but I know that it's not what my body really wants...it's the demon trying to trick me...and I'm smarter then that...we all are!

Eight days and loving it!

09 Jan 2002, 01:16 #111

I no longer have to hear my daughter complain about the smell, how I am killing her through second hand smoke, etc. The arguments are now about other things such as how late she can be out on dates!

Green is Keen --and I am so very proud to be on the Green Bus finally!

Karen - happily having 1 M underthe belt
Never Take Another Puff!

09 Jan 2002, 04:02 #112

What do I like best about my new life?? Right now??
Just for Today - the fact that I am no longer in physical withdrawal - the nicotine is out of my system - and I NEVER have to go through that again - as long as I choose to never take another puff! You know the greatest fear of a smoker is surviving the withdrawals and the biggest secret excuse as to why it is not often done - oh God how will I survive so many days without a cigarette?? I'm glad THAT is over. And the rest is just thoughts that I can allow to come and GO!!:-))
yqs
mirigirl
1 week 1 day Free
Last edited by mirigirl (silver) on 06 Mar 2009, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

31 Jan 2002, 04:22 #113

There are two things I really enjoy now - first the taste of coffee, food, even water lol - just wonderful!
Second - well once upon a time when I took bath, I couldn't enjoy it without balancing an ashtry and cigarettes on the edge! Now I love the fact that I can really relax with only a book to keep me company!
I have chosen not to smoke for 4 Weeks 1 Day 15 Hours 49 Minutes 32 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 1482. Money saved: NZ$630.26.

Last edited by murphying (Gold) on 06 Mar 2009, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

09 Feb 2002, 08:37 #114

One thing that I really like is that I can wash my hair with pretty smelling shampoos and after the day is over, my hair still smells pretty.

One thing that I love is that I can take a deep breath and not hear rattling sounds.

OMG...while thinking of these things.. I just realized something.. I haven't been coughing in my sleep for ... for a couple of weeks I think. WOW! Yeah, that's another thing I like then.... no more coughing fits as I lay in bed.

Hehehehe... there is so much to be happy for.

Angela
1 month, 5 days without a puff

21 Feb 2002, 10:36 #115

What a brilliant inspirational thread . . .
There are so many aspects of my new life that I love!!
No guilt - there was an inner voice there condemning me with each cigarette. I like myself more now.
I feel that I could have children now without the guilt of killing them slowly along with myself. I realize I actually put off having children (& thus quitting smoking) because I felt it would inconvenience my addiction!!
My newfound appreciation of mornings . . . I get up at least an hour earlier than I could before. I enjoy getting up in the morning!
Not lying to my family. I had disappointed them with relapse & had been annoyed with lectures. I can be honest & not have to hide or lie!
Smelling clean - I can't believe that I smelled so bad!
Smelling all the wonderful scents of the world . . . my husband sent me roses for Valentine's Day. It has been over 10 years since I smelled roses & they smell so great!
Energy - I feel physically & mentally recharged. It's incredible! My employer is getting double the productiveness from the same person (new & improved)!
Not having to stop for cigarettes or waste my hard earned money!
Improved circulation - I used to have very poor circulation in my hands - people would comment on how cold my hands were. Not now. I feel warm all over!
No ashes in between the keys in my keyboard, don't have to constantly wipe off the table or clean ashtrays!
There are so many many more. I just love that my life is my own & I enjoy it now more than I ever did!!
Thanks for starting this thread . . .
Susan

24 Feb 2002, 19:08 #116

There are SO many things that are better now that I've quit. The highlights are that:
  • I can take a good deep breath and it FEELS good
  • I take a shower in the morning and I'm still smellin' sweet at the end of the day
  • When I clean my house - it SMELLS clean
  • When I give a hug or kiss I don't have to worry that I'm offensive
  • My voice doesn't have that raspy quality to it
  • When I enjoy a really good belly laugh it doesn't send me into a coughing fit
  • I no longer have to panic about "running out" of the **** things
  • I am no longer embarrassed or ashamed about being an addict
  • My family and friends are proud of me
  • I am proud of myself
  • I AM FREE.

25 Feb 2002, 01:43 #117

John, I hope there's no size limit to the response of this question?!? I'm attaching my thoughts from my bronze post from a couple of weeks ago:

1. I no longer have chest pains. I had them daily, sometimes severe enough to go to Urgent Care. I had several EKGs, all came back normal. Let's see... no cigs-no chest pains....correlation...YES! I don't constantly fear the terror of a heart-attack anymore (not that I'm guaranteed safe, just no more fear).

2. I no longer have headaches. I took an average of 6 aspirin per day. That would be about 558 aspirin I have not taken since quitting. Let's see... no cigs-no headaches...correlation...YES! No more obsessive fears of stroke (again not because I'm guaranteed safe, just no more fear)

3. I can go to any event without anxiety. Movies, concerts, plays, parties, festivals, family gatherings, etc. It's not that I couldn't go before (and step out to have a cig), it's that I was such a SEVERE closet smoker I actually had to leave when I needed a cig so that no one would know that I smoked. And then I would lie about why I was leaving.

4. Related to #3: I can socialize more freely. Not because I don't have to leave, but because I'm not ashamed of the way I might smell, and that someone might just find out that I smoked (omg, my biggest fear!) I used to disinfect myself so extremely that my dance partners must have thought I just came back from my job as a janitor (nothing wrong with that job of course, just an analogy).

5. Related to #3,#4. I can enjoy my son's visits home from college (he honestly did not know I smoked) and I can also visit my daughter and precious grandaughter without the terror of finally being "found out" (oh, and then she would tell my son of course).

6. I no longer have to see secret tears of my husband and 2 best friends (the only people that knew). They were always so worried about me, it's horrible to choose nicotine over the ones you love. (And on that subject, kissing my husband is even more fun than ever now....he loathed the taste of cigarette smoke).

7. I no longer wonder "when will I quit...will I ever quit....maybe I never will". Even if today is my last day on earth, I'm glad I finally beat nicotine. I did not want to die a "smoker". It is never too late. Being smoke free even 1 day is a joy.

8. I no longer WANT a cigarette. During the first month or so I would think "am I always going to feel like this, when will I feel better?". I think about cigarettes sometimes, but in a very negative light. Every single thing I did before with a cigarette, I can now do without but with 10xs the pleasure.

This is just a partial list, I'm adding to it every day. I just wanted any lurkers and those who have not reached 3 months yet to know how quickly you feel better. If you have not quit yet DO IT NOW, it will change your life forever.

yqs, *Candy* 3months 2weeks 1day

12 Mar 2002, 10:37 #118

Gosh Candy! What a wonderful entry, I am so happy for you.
As long as I am here again, another good thing about my new life as an ex-smoker......
Reading about the success of so many wonderful people who are breaking free from nicotine! Great work folks!

Love and hugs to all,

Joanne
3 plus year free and grateful for every minute

05 Apr 2002, 11:49 #119

right now?? ... that I survived the Easter Long Weekend without a cigarette and with a lot of help from my friends...thanks everybody

yqs mirigirl
Three months, four days, 13 hours, 59 minutes and 56 seconds free and healing
2364 cigarettes not smoked, saving $851.62. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 5 hours, 0 minutes.

22 Apr 2002, 12:34 #120

Great response, Candy! My favorite thing about quitting smoking is that I'm not constantly drawn away from other activities to feed my addiction. Or even worse, planning an escape route so I could feed my addiction, "Oh, you ran out of sliced bread? I'll run out to the store!". Or even worse, when called back from smoking a butt prematurely, delaying returning so I could smoke a little more. "Okay, I'll be right in." "Yup, I'm on my way." Stub and Run.
I don't miss any of those things!
Janet

22 Apr 2002, 15:49 #121

I'm hopping in on this one again (hope that's ok).....there are so many things to appreciate and the longer I go without smoking, the more I appreciate my new life.
I think the one single thing I really enjoy is that I can go anywhere and do anything I like without first having to calculate if I can manage without my 'fix'. For instance, going to the movies......will I be able to last 2-3 hours without a smoke? I couldn't count the number of occasions I've missed in the past, and people I haven't visited, because I'd rather stay home than endure the withdrawals. Now that is sad!!
Not any more though
yqs Ingrid
3 Months 3 Weeks 2 Hours
Cigarettes not smoked: 5554.
Self esteem 100%
Last edited by murphying (Gold) on 06 Mar 2009, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

24 Apr 2002, 04:22 #122

my list would be too long if i started to write out all the things i love about my life as an ex-smoker but i will tell you my fave thing today:

i left work today a little late.. i was stressed out big time because i hate to be late ... i drive about 2 miles on the highway and there is dead stopped traffic ahead. oh great, now i will be even later! i sit for a few minutes and then call my boss to let him know i am running late. 20 minutes go by and i havent moved.... i call my fiance to see if he can find out what's going on. he tells me there was a truck turned over and that they have closed down our highway! oh great... now what do i do, sit here? yep that is exactly what i had to do... 2 hours go by, i am low on gas and freaking out because i think i am about to be stranded.... and i gotta pee like there's no tomorrow.. just one more thing to really get me annoyed. finally we start to move and are directed to a detour.... guess what? i took the wrong direction! now i am heading to some place FAR FAR Away from bathrooms.. FAR FAR away from gas stations and definitely not anywhere near work! GRRRRRR I turn around and head back to the traffic.... I pass a gas station (that is closed!!!! grrrr) and see about 10 different signs for cigarettes.... and then it hits me....

i am sitting in my car, mad as heck... the day is just going terrible already and no matter how much worse it gets... i still won't be smoking!!! and i wont even want to!!! do you know how many cigarettes i would have smoked in that three hour drive back then?? do you know how disguisting i would have smelled and how bad my lungs would have felt? man oh man, freedom is amazing!

Beccy
18+ months

24 Apr 2002, 04:58 #123

I can only say ditto to everything Candy said, I was near to tears when I read Candy's post just now as I could have wrote it myself only I could'nt have chosen the right words like you did, Oh except for the grand daughter bit, I have not had that pleasure yet of grand children!!
Thank you to whoever brought this post up, I find more here to make me determined,every time I visit.
Take care
Love Naymor xxxx
2 weeks 6 days 23 hours 55 mins

10 May 2002, 04:18 #124

.... it's nice never having to quit again!

06 Jun 2002, 00:42 #125

Cessation reward timing is to some degree what we make of it! As long as we continue to remain focused in the past and on beliefs that we've left something important behind, it will make it harder to sense and experience the beauty unfolding around us! All the good that you were as an active addict will still be there, but healthier, cleaner, and with more free time to be you, as a comfortable ex-smoker!

For all of you who have not yet experienced a complete day with ZERO cessation anxieties and no thoughts about WANTING to smoke, you have every right to be a bit skeptical. MOST OF US DIDN'T BELIEVE IT POSSIBLE EITHER!!!!! Well, it's true! Although maintenance and reinforcement should be forever, cessation's challenge is temporary!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long!
YQB John - Freedom's Gold Club