that smoking dream

suuzann
suuzann

July 19th, 2009, 1:31 pm #1

i have already posted this in journals and deleted it because i was pretty sure it was in the wrong place. if i thought i was running late before, i REALLY am now. anyway, here goes. i have heard about them, these dreams ppl have about cigarettes and smoking but never thought i would have one. after all, i am all emotionally well balanced. NO, i just don't dream all that much in truth and couldn't imagine me wasting perfectly good sleeping time dreaming about, of all things, a cigarette. WRONG, i should really just stop assuming things. in my dream i smoked about 10 horrible filthy nasty butts right out of my car ashtray. i can still feel the loss, humiliation and disappointment as i sucked nasty ashtray taste into my mouth and lungs. what in the world is happening to my subconscious?

really, really running late now and i will be working late again tonite but will try and do some reading here this evening, i will find the time!

free since 07/08/09

Joe J free
Joe J free

July 19th, 2009, 7:00 pm #2

The smoking dream

Quoting from the beginning of Joels' post linked above:
"The smoking dreams are common if not universal among ex-smokers. It is especially common when a person is off a short time period, and if it occurs within days or weeks of a quit, it is likely to be extremely disturbing and very realistic. Realistic enough in fact that the ex-smoker will wake up smelling and tasting a cigarette, convinced that he or she has actually smoked. I have had numerous clients search the house for the butt, it was that realistic of a sensation. Let me explain first why the physical sensation is so pronounced. When first quitting, one of the early physical repairs that start up is cilia production. Cilia are tiny hair-like projections that line your trachea and bronchus, constantly sweeping particulate matter out of your lungs. When you smoked, you first slowed down, then paralyzed and would eventually destroy cilia. This is why smokers often have more colds and flues, they wipe out the first line of defense against the incoming microbes causing these illnesses.

When a person stops smoking, usually within 72 hours or so, cilia starts to regenerate. The ex-smoker may start cleaning out the lung in a matter of days. One of the early symptoms first encountered is coughing and spitting out, this is mucous and trapped matter that was never being cleaned out efficiently while smoking but now has an escape route and mechanism to start sweeping it. Ugly but good, you are starting to clean out a lot of garbage in your lung. Much of the garbage is tobacco tar--tobacco tars that have a very distinct taste and smell."

(To read the rest and all the replies over the years click on the link above.)

suuzann
suuzann

July 20th, 2009, 2:49 am #3

ty joe, i appreciate the info and the link. while i don't know if i accept the science behind the theory, it sounds plausible and i am happy to have a plausible explanation. honestly i was wondering if i was smothering in my sleep and somehow associated it with smoking. i am ashamed to admit it, but i am asthmatic and still i have smoked for the last 30+ years. my parents (when i first started smoking) asked me if i had a death wish. and i sometimes wondered the same thing over the years as it got harder and harder to breathe when i laid down, or if i walked the dog and he charged after something (hes a BIG dog and when he charges, you charge too). it just seemed like for some reason i didn't value myself like i should, because if i DID, then i wouldn't be poisoning myself with chemicals that we use as pesticides!

now i know i am an addict, and while that is not exactly happy news at least i know that i am not crazy or weak or have a death wish. know thy enemy, and now i do. still feeling strong, knowledge is power!

free since 07/08/09