Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette

Retraining the conscious mind

December 15th, 2008, 12:33 am #801

I was reminded of the world I left when Freedom became my guide. That world was and is a world that still promotes NRT; it still a world that for some perverse reason still emphasizes the pain and difficulty of quitting. At Freedom I have the possibility of seeing abstinence from nicotine as a natural and desirable state of affairs. I still have the the thought to smoke a cigarrete, but frankly it doesn't grab me that hard. It just ocurred to me I don't even know what they're charging for those things these days and I also noticed I somehow mis-spelled cigarette.

December 15th, 2008, 7:59 am #802

Have not thought of it at all. Life does go on after the quit. The thoughts will dissipate more and more as you remain committed to NTAP.
A BIG DOUGHNUT
Theresa - SILVER TOMORROW

December 15th, 2008, 8:40 am #803

You are not alone STAR. Yes I to have thought about it. It has become less frequent though.
It is a thought that only passes like a ghost through a wall The desire is not one of a reality it only a remembrance.

Theresa

December 15th, 2008, 10:09 am #804

The question posed by Joel at the beginning of this Parade of posts is " also write down how many time or how many seconds or minutes in a typical day you really find yourself wanting a cigarette."
Thinking is not wanting. WANTING vs. THINKING
The question posed here is not how often you think about the past activity of inhaling tobacco smoke. How often do you really want to? Really, why would anyone Want to if you don't Have to? You can ahve them all back any time you choose.
Don't think you're living without someting of value or worth. Nicotine has no intrinsic value and adds nothing of value to living life. Celebrate living Free Of Nicotine. That is Truly Living.
Joej Free by choice and glad to say I stay free from nicotien by choosing to stay free of nicotine. Not a sacrifice or hardship in any way - simply enjoy living clean.
Recovered Me Three Years, Eleven Months, Four Days, 10 Hours and 51 Minutes ago. Now reclaimed 258 Days and 23 Hours of my life's time, by choosing to not use of 37296 death delivery devices and accumulated $9,500.01 in the 'freedom dividend' account.
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on February 21st, 2009, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 15th, 2008, 10:40 am #805

Thank you for the clarification on think/want, not that it was
confusing me. At 4.5 YEARS clean and smober, I can say NEVER to
want, and think -- only when I see one or smell one - and only some
of the times do I even notice. With every day away from that last
puff, the times between wants and/or thinks gets longer and longer.
It really does. I didn't think it possible for the 40 plus years
that I DID smoke........how grateful I am now for the 4.5 years I
have not done that.
--

December 16th, 2008, 5:21 am #806

NONE = 0
1 = ALL

Theresa - Free and Healing for Five Months, Twenty Nine Days, 19 Hours and 38 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 19 Days and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 5485 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,934.09.

December 16th, 2008, 6:32 am #807

Ya Namby-pambies...

Newbies ( and I'm still one), after 1 month and 21 days, there's not a day that goes by that I do not WANT nicotine....however, I choose not to put that in my body any more

December 16th, 2008, 9:20 am #808

After being smoke free for 3 months 2 weeks I can honestly say that I want a cigarette 0 sec a day How many seconds a day do I think about a cigarette maybe 5 seconds a day.
I tried many times to quit over the last 40 years & I can honestly say that I am a non smoker now. I have never felt so free of cigarettes as I have over the last 3 months.
Now I can tell a smoker by just walking past someone. It turns my stomach to think that I smelled that bad.

March 1st, 2009, 9:46 pm #809

Hi! My name is Bernadette and I was a pack-a-day smoker for 27 years. According to my stats today, I've been free for 53 months. If I'd continued to smoke, I'd have smoked over 32 thousand cigarettes and spent over $8000 for the "privilege". Instead, I've probably helped extend my years on the planet by quitting cold turkey with the help of this site and all the wonderful people who maintain and post to it. Thanks Freedom, for all you do. When I smoked, my whole day, everyday, revolved around smoking. These days, I think about cigarettes an average of 0 (zero) seconds a day and I don't want them in my life for any reason at all. That's freedom!

March 2nd, 2009, 2:05 pm #810

osabrava2 wrote:
Hi! My name is Bernadette and I was a pack-a-day smoker for 27 years. According to my stats today, I've been free for 53 months. If I'd continued to smoke, I'd have smoked over 32 thousand cigarettes and spent over $8000 for the "privilege". Instead, I've probably helped extend my years on the planet by quitting cold turkey with the help of this site and all the wonderful people who maintain and post to it. Thanks Freedom, for all you do. When I smoked, my whole day, everyday, revolved around smoking. These days, I think about cigarettes an average of 0 (zero) seconds a day and I don't want them in my life for any reason at all. That's freedom!

I'm with Bernadette, I too think about wanting to smoke cigarettes zero seconds per day. But in that I haven't had zero desire for a cigarette since December 2001 (after having stopped smoking three packs a day on May 15, 1999), a more accurate statement would be, since 2002 I have devoted zero seconds per year thinking about wanting to smoke nicotine!

So how could that be? Most ex-smokers I speak with who have never been associated with Freedom or WhyQuit claim to think about smoking now and then. In fact, I've had a couple claim that not a day goes by without them thinking about smoking. What's the answer?

"I smoke because I like smoking," "I smoke because I like the flavor," "I smoke because I'm self destructive," "Smoking is how I deal with stress," "I can't quit or I won't quit," Joel did an excellet job of providing my mind the logic and truth it needed in order to see just how silly my smoking rationalizations really were. He helped rid my mind of monsters, chemical friends and Nicodemon. He gave me the ammo needed to destroy and demolish my smoking rationalzations.

And then there's all the heartache I've witnessed in having corresponded with hundreds of middle-aged tobacco victims and their surviving family members, with a few in their 30s and far too many in their 40s. I guess I too could have been an uneducated quitter whose nicotine use rationalizations survived his last fix but that isn't who I am. My mind contains nothing positive or inviting about using - nothing!!

In many ways I deeply admire the quitter teased by surviving use rationalizations. My only challenge is to never take my freedom for granted, to remember the lessons I've learned. Still just one rule ... none today!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x9)

March 2nd, 2009, 8:24 pm #811

[font=&AMP]The question posed by Joel at the beginning of this Parade of posts is " also write down how many times or how many seconds or minutes in a typical day you really find yourself wanting a cigarette."
[/font]

[font=&AMP]Thinking is not wanting!!!! Wanting vs. thinking, is there a difference?[/font]

[font=&AMP]The question posed here is not how often you think about the past activity of inhaling tobacco smoke. How often do you really want to? Really, why would anyone Want to if you don't Have to? You can have them all back any time you choose.[/font]

[font=&AMP]Don't think you're living without someting of value or worth. Nicotine has no intrinsic value and adds nothing of value to living life. Celebrate living Free Of Nicotine. That is Truly Living. [/font] [font=&AMP]JoeJFree Gold Posted: 12/15/08 03:09 AM[/font]

March 10th, 2009, 1:53 am #812

I actually did address the "wanting question" near the end of the post when I said "...and I don't want them [in my life for any reason] at all.

April 6th, 2009, 6:32 am #813

I'm going to be honest. As much as I hated smoking, there was a part of me that enjoyed it. Believe it or not, even after a 5 year quit, from time to time I actually do still think about smoking. And when I say think about smoking I mean in that longing, wish I could do it kind of way. Which is not often mind you. I'd say about 5 seconds every month or so if that. Give or take.

Don't get me wrong. I don't crave cigarettes, nor are these thoughts unpleasant in any way. Being the educated quitter that I am, I smile in these moments, quickly dismissing any notion of ever lighting up again. That choice is always of there of course but I never want to be hooked on nicotine again, nor do I want all of the problems that would go along with it. No way! Not smoking is a choice and a darn good one if you ask me.

So if you're an ex-smoker who still thinks about smoking from time to time, do yourself a huge favor. Add up the time you actually spend thinking about it. Before finding Freedom I once blew a two month quit simply because I had the wrong mindset. I had an urge to smoke one day and said to myself, "If the desire to smoke doesn't go away after all this time then it will never go away," totally ignoring all the time I had not thought about smoking up to that point and all the time I would have continued to enjoy not thinking about it had I not taken that first puff.

Thoughts, cravings, urges, etc are all temporary and really don't occupy much of your time at all. Do the math!

There are 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, and 365.25 days in each year. 60 x 60 x 24 x 365.25 = 31,557,600 total seconds in a year. For the 5 seconds a month or so that I miss smoking there's approximately 31,557,540 seconds that I either don't think about it at all or am thinking about not smoking in a positive, appreciative, not missing it at all sort of way.

I spend 0.00019% of my current time thinking about smoking. Um, that's less than a second a day. Lol!

But how often did we think about them as smokers? My addiction forced me to think about them at least every 20 minutes or so. And if I didn't obey those cravings, the alarm bells going off in my head got worse forcing me to think about them even more, often to the exclusion of everything and everyone else around me.

My advice? Go ahead and think about them. Remember them fondly. Remember all of the negative aspects of being a smoker. But whatever you do think about them honestly. Smoking was enjoyable. Being addicted and HAVING to smoke even when you didn't want to however was not. When I honestly recall what life in bondage to a chemical was like, even if a puff on a cigarette was the most enjoyable thing in the world, would it really be worth living the addict's lifestyle again? Not to me. I'd rather move on with my life, keeping a few fond smoking memories amongst the many thoughts, reasons, and appreciations of letting cigarettes and therefore my addiction to nicotine go for good.

Don't be afraid. Have a few fond thoughts here and there alongside the memories of all the trouble this addiction has likely caused you. Why not? Thoughts good or bad have no power over your quit as long as you don't ingest nicotine. Just don't obsess about it. I wish I could tell you loathing your addiction, nicotine, or cigarettes is required but honestly its not. You don't have to be an activist to quit smoking. Once you've quit you just have to be smart enough to realize that ingesting any nicotine will likely re-addict you, and by never using nicotine in any of its various forms again you can move on with your life like I did spending 99.99981% of your time focusing on other things like collecting Ouija Boards.

June 13th, 2009, 4:20 pm #814

I have been quit for 2 Months, 3 Days, 12 hours, 10 minutes and 54 seconds (64 days). I have saved $64.50 by not smoking 1,290 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Days, 11 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 10/04/2009 12:00 AM

I don't remember the last time I "craved" a cigarette, felt I had to have one, needed one. Maybe the second or third week when I had to do something I really didn't want to do. Clean behind a stove and fridge. LOL

Maybe once or twice a day I might think of a cigarette. I usually smile and then say why did I just think of a cigarette? Typically someone or a thought has made me feel ever so slightly uncomfortable and I used to used nicotine as a distraction.

Just recently, because of the education I am getting from the board, I think great, I may think of one every day but I really enjoy not having to think about them 20 to 30 times a day!!!!!
The intelligent quitter's strategy combines an understanding of the Law of Addiction
with well-protected core motivations.

Nobody ever graduates from Addiction

Cathy, Gold

[Quit April 10, 2009]

jsg

September 6th, 2014, 12:38 am #815

I thought about smoking once in the second year of my quit. And it lasted maybe 3 minutes. That's about 57 microseconds per day.

This year so far... 0

NTAP!
---------------------------------------------------
James - Free and Healing for Two Years, Four Months, Thirteen Days and 39 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 48 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 13856 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,005.31.

February 11th, 2015, 4:26 am #816

jsg wrote:
I thought about smoking once in the second year of my quit. And it lasted maybe 3 minutes. That's about 57 microseconds per day.

This year so far... 0

NTAP!
---------------------------------------------------
James - Free and Healing for Two Years, Four Months, Thirteen Days and 39 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 48 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 13856 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,005.31.
0, that's great for you!