Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette

Retraining the conscious mind
WavyDavy7

15 Dec 2008, 00:33 #801

I was reminded of the world I left when Freedom became my guide. That world was and is a world that still promotes NRT; it still a world that for some perverse reason still emphasizes the pain and difficulty of quitting. At Freedom I have the possibility of seeing abstinence from nicotine as a natural and desirable state of affairs. I still have the the thought to smoke a cigarrete, but frankly it doesn't grab me that hard. It just ocurred to me I don't even know what they're charging for those things these days and I also noticed I somehow mis-spelled cigarette.

Theresa10458.ffn

15 Dec 2008, 07:59 #802

Have not thought of it at all. Life does go on after the quit. The thoughts will dissipate more and more as you remain committed to NTAP.
A BIG DOUGHNUT
Theresa - SILVER TOMORROW

Theresa10458.ffn

15 Dec 2008, 08:40 #803

You are not alone STAR. Yes I to have thought about it. It has become less frequent though.
It is a thought that only passes like a ghost through a wall The desire is not one of a reality it only a remembrance.

Theresa

JoeJFree Gold

15 Dec 2008, 10:09 #804

The question posed by Joel at the beginning of this Parade of posts is " also write down how many time or how many seconds or minutes in a typical day you really find yourself wanting a cigarette."
Thinking is not wanting. WANTING vs. THINKING
The question posed here is not how often you think about the past activity of inhaling tobacco smoke. How often do you really want to? Really, why would anyone Want to if you don't Have to? You can ahve them all back any time you choose.
Don't think you're living without someting of value or worth. Nicotine has no intrinsic value and adds nothing of value to living life. Celebrate living Free Of Nicotine. That is Truly Living.
Joej Free by choice and glad to say I stay free from nicotien by choosing to stay free of nicotine. Not a sacrifice or hardship in any way - simply enjoy living clean.
Recovered Me Three Years, Eleven Months, Four Days, 10 Hours and 51 Minutes ago. Now reclaimed 258 Days and 23 Hours of my life's timeImage, by choosing to not use of 37296 death delivery devices and accumulated $9,500.01 in the 'freedom dividend' account.
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 21 Feb 2009, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.

wannadanc

15 Dec 2008, 10:40 #805

Thank you for the clarification on think/want, not that it was
confusing me. At 4.5 YEARS clean and smober, I can say NEVER to
want, and think -- only when I see one or smell one - and only some
of the times do I even notice. With every day away from that last
puff, the times between wants and/or thinks gets longer and longer.
It really does. I didn't think it possible for the 40 plus years
that I DID smoke........how grateful I am now for the 4.5 years I
have not done that.
--

Theresa10458.ffn

16 Dec 2008, 05:21 #806

NONE = 0
1 = ALL

Theresa - Free and Healing for Five Months, Twenty Nine Days, 19 Hours and 38 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 19 Days and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 5485 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,934.09.

jinx

16 Dec 2008, 06:32 #807

Ya Namby-pambies...

Newbies ( and I'm still one), after 1 month and 21 days, there's not a day that goes by that I do not WANT nicotine....however, I choose not to put that in my body any more

MrsRed8

16 Dec 2008, 09:20 #808

After being smoke free for 3 months 2 weeks I can honestly say that I want a cigarette 0 sec a day How many seconds a day do I think about a cigarette maybe 5 seconds a day.
I tried many times to quit over the last 40 years & I can honestly say that I am a non smoker now. I have never felt so free of cigarettes as I have over the last 3 months.
Now I can tell a smoker by just walking past someone. It turns my stomach to think that I smelled that bad.

osabrava2

01 Mar 2009, 21:46 #809

Hi! My name is Bernadette and I was a pack-a-day smoker for 27 years. According to my stats today, I've been free for 53 months. If I'd continued to smoke, I'd have smoked over 32 thousand cigarettes and spent over $8000 for the "privilege". Instead, I've probably helped extend my years on the planet by quitting cold turkey with the help of this site and all the wonderful people who maintain and post to it. Thanks Freedom, for all you do. When I smoked, my whole day, everyday, revolved around smoking. These days, I think about cigarettes an average of 0 (zero) seconds a day and I don't want them in my life for any reason at all. That's freedom!

JohnPolito

02 Mar 2009, 14:05 #810

Imageosabrava2 wrote:
Hi! My name is Bernadette and I was a pack-a-day smoker for 27 years. According to my stats today, I've been free for 53 months. If I'd continued to smoke, I'd have smoked over 32 thousand cigarettes and spent over $8000 for the "privilege". Instead, I've probably helped extend my years on the planet by quitting cold turkey with the help of this site and all the wonderful people who maintain and post to it. Thanks Freedom, for all you do. When I smoked, my whole day, everyday, revolved around smoking. These days, I think about cigarettes an average of 0 (zero) seconds a day and I don't want them in my life for any reason at all. That's freedom!

I'm with Bernadette, I too think about wanting to smoke cigarettes zero seconds per day. But in that I haven't had zero desire for a cigarette since December 2001 (after having stopped smoking three packs a day on May 15, 1999), a more accurate statement would be, since 2002 I have devoted zero seconds per year thinking about wanting to smoke nicotine!

So how could that be? Most ex-smokers I speak with who have never been associated with Freedom or WhyQuit claim to think about smoking now and then. In fact, I've had a couple claim that not a day goes by without them thinking about smoking. What's the answer?

"I smoke because I like smoking," "I smoke because I like the flavor," "I smoke because I'm self destructive," "Smoking is how I deal with stress," "I can't quit or I won't quit," Joel did an excellet job of providing my mind the logic and truth it needed in order to see just how silly my smoking rationalizations really were. He helped rid my mind of monsters, chemical friends and Nicodemon. He gave me the ammo needed to destroy and demolish my smoking rationalzations.

And then there's all the heartache I've witnessed in having corresponded with hundreds of middle-aged tobacco victims and their surviving family members, with a few in their 30s and far too many in their 40s. I guess I too could have been an uneducated quitter whose nicotine use rationalizations survived his last fix but that isn't who I am. My mind contains nothing positive or inviting about using - nothing!!

In many ways I deeply admire the quitter teased by surviving use rationalizations. My only challenge is to never take my freedom for granted, to remember the lessons I've learned. Still just one rule ... none today!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x9)