Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette

Retraining the conscious mind
JoeJFree Gold

11 Dec 2008, 01:43 #791

Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette?
ZERO!

Out of the 86,400 seconds that make up today - how many will you spend actually wanting to ingest some nicotine by sucking hot tobacco smoke through a paper tube?
I bet it's actually less than 1% (that would be 14.4 minutes). WOW, You're already 99% free psychologically. We all 100% free physically when we decide to ntap.

Even before I quit I didn't want to & yet I still had to....to stave off constant withdrawal anxiety from falling nicotine levels in my blood serum.
Once free of nicotine I no longer have to................. why would I want to do that again?

Dont' go through the rest of life thinking you're just getting by without nicotine ......instead Celebrate LIVING Free of nicotine.
Change the way you look at things and the things you look at will change as well.

Joe J free 47 months

hwc5

11 Dec 2008, 02:13 #792

I'm coming up on ten months as an ex-smoker. I want a cigarette ZERO times a day. I don't want anything to do with them or nicotine addiction. I'm not around smokers much, but when I am, I feel sorry for them, being chained to that addiction like I was.

Now. In the interest of truth is advertising. There are occassional moments when I want "something". When I am sitting at the computer and feel just the slightest urge for a "break". Getting a fresh cup of coffee or lunch or scratching an itch takes care of it. I have learned that the same breaks I took as a smoker work without smoking. For example, on Thanksgiving day, I left the kitchen for half an hour and just went to lie die away from the family mob scene. Not smoking didn't change the value of recharging my batteries like that for a few minutes.

Comfort for me hit sometime between two and four months. The urges for cigarettes since then have been isolated first time triggers, pretty easy to identify and no problem at all to knock down.

Melrose18

11 Dec 2008, 20:23 #793

ZERO!
Melrose, the ex-smoker
2 years, 2 months, 4 days

Doc2474

11 Dec 2008, 21:32 #794

I think about smoking most days but spend NO time wanting to smoke now.

There is nothing I want back about nicotine and cigarettes.

For anyone starting out, you will think about the actual act of smoking plenty but the need and desire goes.

Doc

8 weeks 2 days.

WavyDavy7

12 Dec 2008, 22:58 #795

Thanks to the understanding I got from Freedom I am better able to distinguish a generallized craving as just that. Maybe I want a cigarette; maybe I'm hungry; maybe I just need exercise. I certainly won't choose a cigarette anymore; there are better ways to satisfy a craving and like it's often said here; even if the craving is specifically a nicotine version; it'll be over quite soon. NTAP...

VICKIGOLD2006

14 Dec 2008, 02:09 #796

ImageThis little sign says it all and with over 2 years and 4 months without nicotine, I can truthfully say that I just do not think of smoking. I never thought I would be able to say that, but it's true!! When I see a person or a group outside a building puffing away, I just feel very sad for them. When I first quit and saw people smoking I was jealous and the craves would start. But with each day without nicotine, you become empowered and it becomes more and more difficult to rationalize having a puff.

So to all the newbies, keep it in the present...just NTAP just for today. Before you know it freedom will just be there for you as it was always meant to be. Happy Holidays to all my fellow Freedomites!!
ImageVICKI - Free and Healing for Two Years, Four Months, Ten Days, 20 Hours and 33 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 59 Days and 23 Hours, by avoiding the use of 17277 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $4,028.68.Image
Last edited by VICKIGOLD2006 on 21 Feb 2009, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

aryeh36.ffn

14 Dec 2008, 09:14 #797

It's like
"Don't think of a Monkey"
the
"Don't think"
puts the monkey in your head.

Until coming across this thread,
zero seconds for today.
After coming across this thread,
4 seconds is fairly accurate for today.

Aryeh
204 days

WSPSTARLADY.ffn

14 Dec 2008, 10:15 #798

Am I the only one who still thinks about smoking? I haven't had a cigarette for 1 month, 1 week, 2 days, & 1 hour... Although that is not a long time, I have quit many times for 8 months - 5 years and I still thought about smoking frequently. I believe that the question was "thinking" about smoking - not thinking that it is a good idea. I would say that I think about smoking for 1 minute every 20 minutes or so... that means, I think about smoking for 3 minutes/hour. Considering I am usually awake 16 hours/day, I spend 48 minutes a day or 2,880 seconds/day thinking about smoking.

forza d animo

14 Dec 2008, 11:17 #799

From above:

I am kicking this string up now because I want the new members to be reading through it. It is an important string showing how over time the thoughts for cigarettes do really become infrequent.

I also want to note that the purpose of this string is for new members to read the experiences from a lot of people what it is like for them not to over time, not for new members to write what it is like for them the first few days or weeks of quitting.

Levaser

14 Dec 2008, 19:18 #800

One month 3 days here.

1-3 minutes per day on average I still want a cigarette. It's not a craving that happens during first 3 days, not an itch that goes for 1-3 weeks after you quit cold. It's just a small thought how nice it would be to have a cigarette right now.

And even then it doesn't happen every single day, maybe every second day I want one for 1-3 minutes, that is. I sometimes get back to this site and re-read a couple of Joel's essays on random or see a picture of cancer-impaired lungs. That helps a lot.

That just one cigarette is only an illusion. There is no such thing as one cigarette. There are years of misery however. Why bother?