Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette

Retraining the conscious mind
JoeJFree Gold

25 Aug 2008, 18:34 #781

Read the testimony not of one but many who tell true.
Want a nicotine delivery device?
Not on my life!
How many seconds a day do I WANT some nicotine? ....... Still none.
JoeJ Freer than I ever dreamed I could be .....
by simply keeping one core promise made 1322 days ago -
"Never Take Another Puff....and freedom it will be."Image

baSeeker

01 Sep 2008, 22:01 #782

I've said outloud several times over the past month that "I want a smoke". Usually right after a stressfull moment or prolonged activity has concluded to one of those "smoke 'em if ya got'm" moments.

Before anyone could say something (whether anyone was there or not) my own inner voice ( the one only I hear but don't always follow Image) would say; "no Barry this is a point in time when you used to "want" a smoke.

In the time it used to take me to pull one out and light it I am now able to check my wording of "want" to "used to want" and the urge has faded.

Between me, myself and I nicotine can barely get a word in edgewise and it never get's the last word.

NTAP

hwc5

29 Sep 2008, 02:29 #783

At seven and a half months nicotine-free, I'd say that, on average, I think about smoking probably one second a day.

I only think about smoking at all maybe once every three days. We aren't talking about anything like a crave, just a passing thought that I used to smoke in this circumstance or maybe just the odd catching myself thinking "time for a smoke break....oh....wait....nevermind". Old habits die hard.

In any case, these thoughts seldom last more than three seconds once every three days for so, so my average is one second per day thinking about smoking. I spend more time thinking about whether I need to change the water filter in the coffee maker.

Theresa10458.ffn

29 Sep 2008, 03:38 #784

0= none=ninguno
Zero
I HAVE ESTIMATED THAT OUT OF THE LAST 9,000,000 SECONDS (104 DAYS +) I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT SMOKING ONLY A MEASLY 200 SECONDS.
NTAP
I FEEL GREAT AND CELEBRATE EACH DAY I DECIDED TO COME HOME.Image
Theresa - Free and Healing for Three Months, Twelve Days, 19 Hours and 2 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 10 Days and 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 3144 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,105.08.

butterflybeth82

29 Sep 2008, 10:55 #785

None
Beth - Free and Healing for Seven Months, Fourteen Days, 20 Hours and 56 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 15 Days and 19 Hours, by avoiding the use of 4557 cigarettes that would have cost me $1,161.60.

WavyDavy7

29 Sep 2008, 23:47 #786

I take nothing for granted. The thought still occurs to me however. Sometimes it occurs to me that a cigarette could fill some empty space in my emotions, but it's a rather weak notion. When that idea occurs, I often see a picture in my mind of the sensations that I used to experience taking a drag on a cigarette and in retrospect, the satisfaction I got really didn't amount to much (and the smoke hurt).

And no, I don't often think about cigarettes even after only 5 months of complete abstinence. Thanks to WhyQuit.com, the junkie beliefs I used to maintain to support that addiction no longer hold water.

Jazzeruni

30 Sep 2008, 08:50 #787

Joel and everyone here at my Freedom Family -

I am proud to say that I am Nora, a nicotine addict - Free and Healing for Eight Days, 21 Hours and 15 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 9 Hours.

The only way I can be here is by taking this journey one day at a time and never taking another puff - Thank you all for your amazing support and knowledge.

nomowrinkles

30 Sep 2008, 08:59 #788

Hmmmm. How many seconds a day???
not one!
I sometimes think about cig's in a moment (like when the business of the day is winding down) BUT
I never think that I want one- not one drag- not one puff- nothing!
I am an adult- If I had wanted one by now- I could have had 1. I chose not to smoke and I stand behind that choice 1 million percent!

Christine- Clean for 9 weeks 2 days - saving 544.00 chosing not to smoke 1633 menthol flavored death sticks.

Joel

05 Dec 2008, 20:58 #789

You will see that a few members seem to be giving the impression that it is normal to be constantly thinking of smoking weeks into quitting simply because they are recovering addicts. In reality this is not the case. Here is a string with seven years of examples of hundreds of members showing that the norm experienced by most of our members and likely most of our readers too is that thoughts for cigarettes become fewer and fewer over time. People who are constantly wanting to smoke weeks or months into their quits are not simply doing so because they are nicotine addicts. All of the people in the posts above are nicotine addicts and again, if you read their comments you will see that the vast majority of them think of cigarettes very rarely.

Doc460704

11 Dec 2008, 01:07 #790

I might have had a thought about having a cigarette a few days ago but I'm not sure. It could be my old age kicking in. They pop into my head and out again so rarely and so quickly they don't even register anymore. For the first few months a smoking thought would pop into my head, then I'd think about what triggered it, smile, take a deep breath and say to myself "I don't do that any more". Now it takes someone to bring up the subject of smoking or I have to see (or smell) people smoking for me to even think about it. Though I might think about it I certanly don't do it with any sort of longing. If I have any feeling at all it's of remorse that I smoked for so long or feeling sorry for those people still enslaved by it. To answer the question posed by this post, MOST DAYS I'D HAVE TO SAY ZERO SECONDS on "thoughts" and never on "desires".

Keep with it newbies it does get easier and sooner than you can believe. It's so simple for us. We just NTAP.

YQB,
Pat
(FREE NOW Eleven months, one week, two days, 10 hours, 5 minutes.
10332 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,066.52.
Life saved: 5 weeks, 21 hours, 0 minutes, absolutely PRICELESS)