Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette

Retraining the conscious mind
Ilona

23 May 2008, 00:30 #771

Happy to be able to check in here and say:

The thoughts have completely dropped off to random, fleeting, non-fixatious (sp?) thoughts that last a split second if I choose to notice them.
Occasionally, there is a new trigger, but that is relatively easy to deal with now that I am no longer struggling...

Ilona
(67 days)

Rochelle2422

23 May 2008, 04:14 #772

I am still a newbiw, but I know I will never smoke again. I only think about cigarettes on the weekend at a nightclub (maybe after midnight); then someone stands next to me smoking and I have to move because it smells so bad, or I get smoke in my eye! Otherwise I enjoy running and skating with my doggy too much to have to stop to light up.

Rochelle - Free and Healing for Two Months, Twelve Days, 19 Hours and 6 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 5 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1476 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $296.08.

Joel

23 May 2008, 21:30 #773

I refer to this string often in the thread Reading at other quit smoking sites. I do that because of how different a reaction this question would likely get at other sites where what being quit actually means. I just realized though that there is another cross reference between these two strings. Over the past month the term "smober" was used in this string twice. It is a term that is almost never used at Freedom, and in fact, a term that has always been an indicator to us of people who are spending times at other sites. Here is a quote I put up in the string Reading at other quit smoking sites whenever I see the term being used here at Freedom:
ImageRecommend Message 18 of 34 in Discussion
I saw the term "smober" used here a few minutes ago. A couple of weeks ago I think another member posted a question on what the term means. Smober is a combination of the word smoke free and sober that is used at some quit smoking sites. It is a term that you are not going to hear much in the real world though for it is not an actual word.

Whenever I see a member use a word like "smober" it is a strong indication that they do spend time reading and learning at other quit sites. This always makes us a little nervous for people who pick up hints and tips at other sites are possibly going to pick up more than euphimastic terms but possibly also conventional wisdom quitting tips and concepts.

I think that this is an important string for readers of other sites to see and be aware of, so that such conventional wisdom's don't find their way over to Freedom.

In practice, I don't have to pop up the reference very often. Being that it is in this string twice now, I just wanted to get the message out to people reading it here that it really is not a term used here at Freedom, and it is probably best if we keep it that way. Again, its use then gives us a heads up on people who may be picking up concepts elsewhere that we feel we would like to be able to address so as to keep The Teaching of Conventional Wisdom at Freedom down to a minimum.

JoeJFree Gold

24 May 2008, 04:39 #774

This message has been deleted by the author.

JoeJFree Gold

24 May 2008, 04:42 #775

Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette?
ZERO!

Out of the 86,400 seconds that make up today - how many will you spend actually wanting to ingest some nicotine by sucking hot tobacco smoke through a paper tube?Image

I didn't want to even before I quit when I still had to....to stave off constant withdrawal anxiety from falling nicotine levels in my blood serum.

Once free I've been constantly thankful that I no longer have to......................... - why would I want to? Why would anyone?

My name is Joe J Free - GOLD a nicotine addict who stopped ingesting nicotine 3 years, 4 months, 13 days, 6 hours, 26 minutes and 40 seconds (1229 days) ago and has reclaimed 230 days, 11 hours and 42 minutes of my life, the best part of this gift I give to myself each and every day I choose to NTAP!Image

Ginz820

24 May 2008, 05:45 #776

Being mostly a newbie myself, as I am only barely Green behind the ears, I would like to tell newer newbies that I was very concerned about the amount of time I spent thinking about cigs. I work in the construction industry which is choked with smokers and dippers and being around people smoking unrestrainedly all day was what had made me lose quits before. Every time I saw someone smoking I would think Hmm.. time for a smoke and actually go for my pocket to get one out and then remember- I can't! This went on for the first two weeks and I was wondering if this was how it was going to be for me forever. I had smoked a pack plus a day for 30 years it was so much a part of my life that I figured I would always feel the urge to smoke when I saw someone else smoke. After the 2nd week I was feeling much more confident and determined and when I thought about smoking it was that I was sooo.. glad that I didn't anymore. Now after four weeks plus I think about smoking maybe 20 seconds a day and its never an urge to smoke, its a sense of something missing but not missed. The law of addiction is the first thing I think of when I think about smoking and I know that as long as I remember that I will never take another puff.
Healing for 32 days and feeling liberated!

Ginz 820

Joel

19 Jun 2008, 00:12 #777

I saw where a newer member was a little surprised as to how she was not thinking about smoking much after just being off almost a month. I can say from the thousands of people I dealt with in live clinic follow-up calls her experience was pretty much the norm--most participants were having only sporadic thoughts at that point in time. People struggling with frequent daily urges were the exception rather than the rule.

I think most who go through the hundreds of responses in this string will also see that her experience is quite common among many of our members.

hwc5

19 Jun 2008, 06:17 #778

I had my first day without a single thought of smoking at just over the two month mark.

At the four month mark now, I really don't have any urge to smoke at all. I think about it because I stay active on quit smoking sites to help me stay focused on never take another puff and to give something back by encouraging others, but my only thoughts of smoking are how happy I am that I don't do it any more.

I will get an occasional "first-time trigger" -- something I associated with smoking that I'm encountering for the first time as an ex-smoker. I note the trigger for what it is, but that's it. It's not like the triggers are making me want to smoke.

ssp64

20 Jun 2008, 23:15 #779

NEVER!
I laugh now because two years ago I was crying!
I can't not think about cigarettes, because there are so many people out there smoking, but I never wish to join them anymore. fact is, there are places I can't go now because there are too many people smoking it starts to make me sick to my stomach.
In fact, last Christmas, I had to leave my sister-in-laws because they (2 people) were smoking inside. Sure, they had the door cracked, but please that didn't do anything. Then I noticed how nasty I smelled from their smoke... YUCK!
Sharon ~ free for 731 days

Abu Daud1

21 Jun 2008, 00:20 #780

I turned "green" today. It's still early in the recovery process so I'm not going to say I don't think about them...because I do, but in all honesty it's not really that much. The thoughts come quickly from time to time, but they leave just as quickly. I have busied myself in getting on with my life without cigarettes so there are usually plenty of things going on to take my mind off the occasional thoughts. Once over the initial withdrawal and with nicotine out of the system, I have found that the educational material along with reminding myself to "never take another puff" is enough to get me through the occassional "thought".

I have been nicotine free for 1M 1h 15m. I have saved $155.25 by not smoking 621 cigarettes. I have put to better use 2D 3h 45m of my life. My Journey to Freedom Started: 5/20/2008 7:00 PM