Zip, Zero, Nada!

Melrose, the ex-smoker

1 year, 3 months, 3 weeks, 5 days

starbirder.ffn
starbirder.ffn

February 3rd, 2008, 10:46 pm #752

"Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette"

NEVER
Star Free and Healing for Six Months, Nineteen Days and 22 Hours, while extending my life expectancy 7 Days and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 2039 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $521.29.
Last edited by starbirder.ffn on February 21st, 2009, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

wannadanc
wannadanc

February 6th, 2008, 1:49 am #753

I am 3.5 years into my new life, and I never EVER think about having
a smoke. I do notice when others are smoking, and it isn't a craving
nor is it a judgmental notice. I simply am aware. I do notice that
my olfactory acuity can identify a smoker's car - whether it is just
sitting in the lot, or driving by when I am standing next to the
street. Amazing thing, that. I used to think I could camouflage my
bad habit w/ other odors. BTW - I was a compulsive smoker for 45
years - upwards of 3 packs a day before I finally put them down for
good.
--

LEHarris52
LEHarris52

February 18th, 2008, 8:01 am #754

I think I've answered this before, but that was quite a while back.
So the question is..........how many seconds a day do I want a cigarette.........
Rephrase that to how many seconds a year and the answer would still be the same.
NONE!!! Thanks to this website and a decision to never take another puff......no matter what.

Laura
Gold X 4

SallyGL
SallyGL

March 7th, 2008, 7:18 am #755

I never thought I could stop smoking or that I would completely stop thinking about cigarettes - but I have and its wonderful!

Sally
~ 2 years free after 42 years not.

stoneris1
stoneris1

April 27th, 2008, 8:54 am #756

As a newbie, I like this string. It gives me a lot of hope and is very encouraging. There is a lot here to read. I need it close by for now, so I am kicking it up. I hope you folks don't mind?

brueniap(gold)
brueniap(gold)

April 27th, 2008, 7:27 pm #757

I answered this once a long time ago I think.........thot I would answer again.

NONE!

nada, zip, nothing, zilch................don't ever want to do it again...............my family smokes...................i never desire it even if they're around me smoking. I'm just glad they're not around me much because it "stinks".

anne

Seven years, three weeks, six days, 4 hours, 57 minutes and 32 seconds. 36178 cigarettes not smoked, saving $6,331.31. Life saved: 17 weeks, 6 days, 14 hours, 50 minutes.

annies1
annies1

April 27th, 2008, 9:00 pm #758

I can honestly say that I never WANT to have another ciggarette, however I think about having one on what probably amounts to about 6seconds a week!

I have been quit16 months. I have saved £4,698.37(thats $9,317.41) and not smoked 19,374 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Months, 1 Week, 1 Day, 6 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 30/12/2006 05:00

Joel
Joel

April 27th, 2008, 10:11 pm #759

This is an extremely important string. If you go back (click here: First if you want to start from the beginning) and read through the hundreds of responses from people who are off for weeks, months, or even years and you will get a real appreciation of just how infrequent smoking thoughts really are for people who totally break free from nicotine.

Here is a section from the string Reading at other quit smoking sites that relates to this string:

There are some real limitations to reported quit times at most other boards because quit meters at other sites do not often reflect how long the person is actually off nicotine. Some people may still be on NRT or have just very recently got off the nicotine product even though their meters may show a much longer "quit" time. Then there are the constant discussions that go on at other sites as to whether people should reset their quit meters if they only have a few cigarettes, or one cigarette, or a puff. The debate of what is a slip and what is a relapse is standard and daily fare at most sites. When it comes down to it you just don't know the accuracy of quit time periods from anyone at most sites by simply reading their quit meters.

If you were to pose the exact same question at other sites that have the limitation of variable interpretations of what it means to be truly quit you would likely see many different answers and a wide variety of responses to this very same question.

The problem of defining what is really being quit can even pose problems to people who are not using any form of NRT or had any "slips" (relapses), for by reading the comments of other people who are "off smoking" for days, weeks, months or years and who are still complaining of this symptom and that craving can set up the expectation that quitting is really a long drawn out battle. This sets the stage for either a self-fulfilling prophecy situation or for easily blaming everything that goes wrong in an ex-smoker's life on the fact that he or she had quit smoking.

If you are you feeling stressed on a particular day weeks into your quit or having a specific physical symptom-it must be because you quit smoking. After all, look at those other people who are feeling stressed or having the same physical symptom the same day who have been off for just as long. We on the other hand try to insure that our readers recognize that if they are feeling stress or are having a physical symptom it is probably because they are just facing one or more stressful situations or are having symptoms to a problem that they had better find the real underlying reason for the cause. The string Life goes on without smoking explores this issue.

meg
meg

April 28th, 2008, 3:18 pm #760

NULL, NIL, NIX, NADA, NONE, NOTHING, ZIP, ZERO...
Honestly, my nicotine-related thoughts are annoyance at the smell of cigarettes if I can't avoid it etc. And it's been like this for three years.
3Y 1M 1W 3D (1 137 days)
Last edited by meg on February 21st, 2009, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

butterflybeth82
butterflybeth82

April 28th, 2008, 10:54 pm #761

Maybe 3-5 seconds every COUPLE of days....

Seriously, it does get so much easier.

Beth - Free and Healing for Two Months, Fourteen Days, 8 Hours and 54 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 5 Days and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1487 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $376.73.

OntarioNonsmoke
OntarioNonsmoke

April 29th, 2008, 1:20 am #762

Hey. If there's one thing that a new non-smoker should remember it's this. When I first went on this site I had only been a non-smoker for 2 days. At that time I didn't feel very confident and was concerned that failure was around every corner. I noticed that plenty of the people on this website have been non-smokers for months, some even years... here I am with a paltry 2 days behind me; a very long road and I, well, just kept at it... tried not to think about the duration in time, and instead just focused on slowly but surely filling in all those periods in my day where I'd go have a smoke with something else. Not easy, but you'll be amazed at how building new habits become second-hand nature after a short while. My cravings at first were brutally strong, and pretty constant, but they diminish and progressively you begin to feel more and more in control. It's a good feeling, BUT - never let your guard down and use common sense (i.e. the first three weeks I found I was extremely vulnerable). The nicotine dosage in cigarettes has been optimized and enhanced by Big Tobacco - it's MADE to make you ingest it once you fall victim to it, whether through chewing tobacco, smoking, whatever. Big Tobacco made nicotine's addictive power such that they WANT you to fail and go back to smoking. The more tobacco money you put in their coffers the more chance that you'll be placed in an early coffin. It's a cruel and nasty world in some ways.

And now? I've quit smoking for over two months and its much, much, MUCH easier. I wouldn't waste my time with telling you otherwise. I've tested myself here and there, gone out with smoker friends (didn't enjoy sucking in their 2nd hand smoke, so I don't do that very often), thought a few times of having a smoke but its a passing thought now, it has little strength; some other activity ultimately occupies my mind, and non-smoking I remain, and enjoy immensely.

This ALL comes down to YOU. It comes down to how MUCH you want to quit. Believe me, after a few months (it goes fast) you feel a strong sense of triumph, it's a great feeling. It also has given me a chance to change other things in my life, it is a remarkably big and admirable step to take. Please note though, I am ever-vigilant. I will not let my guard down until I know I will feel absolutely 100% confident that I would never ever touch another cigarette. Honestly I'm unsure whether that day will come. I'm a recovering addict, so I remind myself that an addict can't be trusted. Personally, I'll probably keep my guard up for the rest of my life, but over time the effort in doing so will dwindle to almost nothing. Even now, at two months, it takes little effort to say no. In the end I marvel at how amazing our bodies are at repairing themselves. I feel so much better as this person I was meant to be, rather than that unfortunate person who had his life taken over by tobacco for just over 19 years. Fresh and clean and no nicotine. oooo yaaaa.

Hope this helps.
Dave T.

moiralives
moiralives

April 29th, 2008, 1:26 pm #763

No Seconds.
I never want to smoke again.

I sometimes get hooked into a romantic thought about smoking, a memory about smoking, but it is merely a thought and not a desire or a need or a want.

I never ever want to smoke again.

Yuk.

Moira, smober 23 weeks, 1 day, 12 hours, 21 minutes, 56 seconds
(Thats over 5 months!!! YAY!!!)

RJW118
RJW118

April 30th, 2008, 7:40 am #764

Want? never
Need? never
Crave? never
Passing thought? maybe a couple times a week
Regrets, ever starting, not quitting soon enough, losing a 2yr 8 month cold turkey pause in 2002
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF NOT ONE PUFF EVER
RJW...Free at last 7 months 12 days 11 hours, 58 min, Saved 31 days of life, $2,048.00 after 32+ yrs of feeding the addiction to the tune of 2-4 packs a day most of those years, costing an estimated 100,000.00 and untold years off my life
Last edited by RJW118 on February 21st, 2009, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffe23
jeffe23

May 3rd, 2008, 6:40 am #765

I haven't smoked in over 2 years and have saved 54 days of my life and didn't need the patch or gum or anything.

I NEVER think of smoking really. I think I had a fleeting thought one spring day when I was having a glass of wine and standing on the deck (much like I used to do when I was chain smoking cigarettes). Those thoughts disappeared for me somewhere between three and six months and never returned.

I know someone who has been smober for more than 20 years and periodically she fantasizes about smoking but never getas any urges or anything actionable.

Cheers!
Jeff - Free and Healing for Two Years, One Month, Sixteen Days, 17 Hours and 40 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 54 Days, by avoiding the use of 15555 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,007.83.

kevinjohn808
kevinjohn808

May 4th, 2008, 7:09 pm #766

Let's see. I had to open my quit meter to remember how long it's been. Over four years now since I first came here. Distraught and frazzled. My how my perspective has changed.

I never think about smoking. Except the occasional wish for a friend or acquaintance to know the peace that comes with never taking another puff.

It seems so perfectly natural now to be at ease.

Kevin

Time Smoke-Free: 1540 days, 12 hours, 45 minutes
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 30810
Lifetime Saved: 7 months, 25 days, 8 hours
Money Saved: $11,557.50

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

May 22nd, 2008, 2:59 am #767

Read the testimony not of one but many who tell true.
Want a nicotine delivery device?
Not on my life!
How many seconds a day do I WANT some nicotine? ....... Still none.
JoeJ Freer than I ever dreamed I could be .....
by simply keeping one core promise made 1227 days ago -
Never Take Another Puff....and be free.

mewapiti2
mewapiti2

May 22nd, 2008, 3:11 am #768

I guess from what I read here, I am considered a "newbie" here... but honestly:
Want? never
Need? never
Crave? never

Thinking about not smoking? all the time! I am still learning what to do with myself!

Rose - Smoke free since 4/16/2008 5:00 PM
1M 4D 22h 7m (34 days)!!!
Saved $218.25 by not smoking 873 cigarettes

Life Saved - 3 days 45 minutes

Doc460704
Doc460704

May 22nd, 2008, 3:16 am #769

When I'm having a "bad" day I think about having a smoke twice and it just last me for a second. Just as quickly I think how happy I am not to be in that slavery any more. I've had many days though where the thought never even happens once and I haven't been at this quit that long. So I guess I have maybe six or seven seconds of "thoughts" a week. I'm one very happy camper.
Pat (Free and healing four months, two weeks, six days, 13 hours, 15 minutes and 0 seconds. 4246 cigarettes not smoked, saving $849.06. Life saved: 2 weeks, 17 hours, 50 minutes)
Last edited by Doc460704 on February 21st, 2009, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maisie Mai
Maisie Mai

May 22nd, 2008, 3:52 am #770

After 18 days.. probably about 4 minutes thinking about it, although there's not a lot to think about, its quite boring that there's nothing interesting to ponder... maybe 30 seconds with a bit of an empty feeling, craving something that might be nicotine or might be something else.. I'm not sure
Maisie
I am proud to announce that I have been totally nicotine free for 2 Weeks, 4 Days, 22 hours and 51 minutes (18 days). I have saved £90.97 by not smoking 379 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 7 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 02/05/2008 22:00

Ilona
Ilona

May 23rd, 2008, 12:30 am #771

Happy to be able to check in here and say:

The thoughts have completely dropped off to random, fleeting, non-fixatious (sp?) thoughts that last a split second if I choose to notice them.
Occasionally, there is a new trigger, but that is relatively easy to deal with now that I am no longer struggling...

Ilona
(67 days)

Rochelle2422
Rochelle2422

May 23rd, 2008, 4:14 am #772

I am still a newbiw, but I know I will never smoke again. I only think about cigarettes on the weekend at a nightclub (maybe after midnight); then someone stands next to me smoking and I have to move because it smells so bad, or I get smoke in my eye! Otherwise I enjoy running and skating with my doggy too much to have to stop to light up.

Rochelle - Free and Healing for Two Months, Twelve Days, 19 Hours and 6 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 5 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1476 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $296.08.

Joel
Joel

May 23rd, 2008, 9:30 pm #773

I refer to this string often in the thread Reading at other quit smoking sites. I do that because of how different a reaction this question would likely get at other sites where what being quit actually means. I just realized though that there is another cross reference between these two strings. Over the past month the term "smober" was used in this string twice. It is a term that is almost never used at Freedom, and in fact, a term that has always been an indicator to us of people who are spending times at other sites. Here is a quote I put up in the string Reading at other quit smoking sites whenever I see the term being used here at Freedom:
Recommend Message 18 of 34 in Discussion
I saw the term "smober" used here a few minutes ago. A couple of weeks ago I think another member posted a question on what the term means. Smober is a combination of the word smoke free and sober that is used at some quit smoking sites. It is a term that you are not going to hear much in the real world though for it is not an actual word.

Whenever I see a member use a word like "smober" it is a strong indication that they do spend time reading and learning at other quit sites. This always makes us a little nervous for people who pick up hints and tips at other sites are possibly going to pick up more than euphimastic terms but possibly also conventional wisdom quitting tips and concepts.

I think that this is an important string for readers of other sites to see and be aware of, so that such conventional wisdom's don't find their way over to Freedom.

In practice, I don't have to pop up the reference very often. Being that it is in this string twice now, I just wanted to get the message out to people reading it here that it really is not a term used here at Freedom, and it is probably best if we keep it that way. Again, its use then gives us a heads up on people who may be picking up concepts elsewhere that we feel we would like to be able to address so as to keep The Teaching of Conventional Wisdom at Freedom down to a minimum.

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

May 24th, 2008, 4:39 am #774

This message has been deleted by the author.

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

May 24th, 2008, 4:42 am #775

Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette?
ZERO!

Out of the 86,400 seconds that make up today - how many will you spend actually wanting to ingest some nicotine by sucking hot tobacco smoke through a paper tube?

I didn't want to even before I quit when I still had to....to stave off constant withdrawal anxiety from falling nicotine levels in my blood serum.

Once free I've been constantly thankful that I no longer have to......................... - why would I want to? Why would anyone?

My name is Joe J Free - GOLD a nicotine addict who stopped ingesting nicotine 3 years, 4 months, 13 days, 6 hours, 26 minutes and 40 seconds (1229 days) ago and has reclaimed 230 days, 11 hours and 42 minutes of my life, the best part of this gift I give to myself each and every day I choose to NTAP!