Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette

Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette

Nora (Gold)

23 Jun 2001, 19:21 #1

Hello Joel

After smoking an average of 1 1/2 packs a day for 26 years I have now been free for

Ten months, two weeks, four days, 2 hours, 9 minutes and 58 seconds. 9662 cigarettes not smoked, saving $724.70. Life saved: 4 weeks, 5 days, 13 hours, 10 minutes.

Yesterday I had a thought about smoking for about 5 seconds when I came in from outside. It was not strong, just a thought. This is not a daily occurence. I had been taking meds for a sinus problem and I think it stirred up something in my lungs because I had my second smoking dream a couple of nights ago. I hadn't expected that so far into my quit but it did happen.

To all you Newbies and lurkers out there, GO FOR IT. It is very worthwhile.

Nora

Joel

23 Jun 2001, 20:15 #2

I am starting a parade today, this is a first. Along with your quit meters giving your statistics of how long you have been off cigarettes, how much money you have saved, how much time of life saved you have racked up (in my opinion the most important variable in this meter) also write down how many time or how many seconds or minutes in a typical day you really find yourself wanting a cigarette. The odds are pretty good longer term ex-smokers will only have a few seconds on any given day. Even people off a week if seriously analyzing the number will come up with a few hundred seconds. While this may sound scary, consider the fact that there are 86,400 seconds in a day.

People who are just quitting today may answer this question with 86,400 seconds. But if they watch the responses of others they will likely see a clear progression of how over time, the need for nicotine does in fact start to dissipate. So join on in. By the way, if you are not sure of the number of seconds wait a few days, time your own results and attach it to here later. Weeks from now if need be. This string can serve as a clear mesage that life will get easier for all new members if they just hang in over time. Hopefully it will serve all in their quest to never take another puff!

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

23 Jun 2001, 20:28 #3

ImageWell, good morning Joel and hello all Freedomites!

What a special surprise!! For me, I have not entertained any thoughts of smoking since my third week. If I think of a cigarette at all, it is at work when I smell my customers or have to sell them cigarettes. And then I say to myself....am I ever glad I quit. I have absolutely NO desire to ever take another puff and it's been that way since the beginning of my quit. For those of you finding it a little difficult at the beginning, know that life without smoking is absolutely wonderful!!

Congratulations to each and everyone of you on your first official smokefree weekend of the summer.
Enjoy it and live it to its fullest....and remember....never take another puff.
After smoking for 41 years...I have been smokefree for one year, five months, two weeks, five days, 20 hours, 14 minutes and 59 seconds. 10736 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,610.40. Life saved: 5 weeks, 2 days, 6 hours, 40minutes............and I have no desire or thoughts to ever take another puff.
Linda
Last edited by GrumpyOMrsS (Gold) on 21 Feb 2009, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

23 Jun 2001, 20:49 #4

Hi Ya Newbies!
Welcome to Freedom!
After smoking three packs a day for thirty years and now being quit 2 years and 1 month the average number of seconds each day that I spend thinking about me smoking a cigarette is:
Zero !!!!!!!
In fact, I have not had a single "crave" (a short yet extremely power anxiety attack for a smoke) since about day 60 of my quit and during all of the year 2000 I only "thought" ("I wish I had a cigarette right now" type thinking) about smoking twice, for a total of maybe 40 seconds, and once it was done on purpose just to see if I still could : )) I have now been free and healing for 2 Years 1 Month 1 Week 12 Hours 43 Minutes 47 Seconds and there should be an extra 46,171 cigarettes somewhere.
Withdrawal is Temporary!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long YQB Zep : )

Last edited by John (Gold) on 21 Feb 2009, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

Teeisfree GOLD

23 Jun 2001, 21:55 #5

Hope I did this right and used the hyperlink.
I am quit 3 months (pack a day plus)and some days don't even think about smoking. If I do it is never for more than a minute or two.Most days it is ZERO seconds-I just don't even think about it anymore.It does get easier.

AddictedtoEverything

23 Jun 2001, 21:58 #6

Hi to all who have recently entered the world of the "Smokefree." Here are my stats
Four months, one week, two days, 23 hours, 48 minutes and 51 seconds. 5199 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,039.60. Life saved: 2 weeks, 4 days, 1 hour, 15 minutes.
And, ya know how many seconds a day I devote to craving a cig...maybe about ten.....and that is at the most. Usually, a megasecond is spent forgetting that I quit. Trust all of us.........the pain and misery passes, and it happens quickly. Hang in there....the rewards of being smokefree are worth it.
Mary

Curly (green)

23 Jun 2001, 22:21 #7

I haven't had a craving (weak or strong) since about my 2nd week; I have had thoughts about cigarettes, though not many - when I find myself staring at someone with a cig, or paying more attention to the person on TV smoking rather than the TV show itself, I've been able to tell myself "Look at them, killing themselves. Glad I'm not there anymore!" after only a couple of seconds. Basically, as soon as the thought comes in, I get it out. It's really that simple - and ((Newbies)), YOU can do it too!
Last edited by Curly (green) on 21 Feb 2009, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

Theresa

24 Jun 2001, 00:50 #8

First off, Welcome to Freedom - and congratulations on your choice to quit!
My quit meter says that I have been nicotine free for Two months, six days, 17 hours, 44 minutes and 24 seconds. 1151 cigarettes not smoked, saving $215.92. Life saved: 3 days, 23 hours, 55 minutes.
In an average day in my life right now I probably think about wanting to smoke only a few minutes a day. I think about NOT wanting to smoke twice as much. (mostly while I am here reading and learning other times when I see a smoker in public I think how glad I am that I don't smoke anymore).

Not Smoking is GREAT! Freedom Rules!

Last edited by Theresa on 21 Feb 2009, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

cathym (GREEN)

24 Jun 2001, 02:07 #9

Thanks Joel for a very perplexing theme...I say perplexing cuz now I have to stop and really think....First of all I started to think about all the times I used to think about it but almost never do anymore...first thing in the morning, after meals, even driving is finally becoming manageable., my walk at work finally feels like just a walk and not a reminder of what I am NOT doing on my lunch hour..I think I still think about it, but I can't say it's the same as WANTING ONE....mostly the smell possibly makes me remember that ahhhhh feeling that I know now I cannot have...but again it's not exactly WANTING ONE...see how difficult it is to separate the two...I think the junkie that is still in me would like for them to be the same, but they aren't...so I will say (excluding this past week which has been most stressful at work) not more than several seconds in any one day and some days, maybe not at all...at first the weekends were the hardest, now that has almost reversed itself...
so when I really think about it, I have to say that I MUST THINK ABOUT IT, TO EVEN COME UP WITH A FIGURE....it's like I almost forget about it...I mean it's like even if I do, I just accept it and get on with it, as Heike would say....it's so worth it and I know that it will continue to even get better....and YES UNTIL YOU LURKERS EXPERIENCE IT YOURSELVES, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW (BUT HOPEFULLY WILL!!!) HOW FREEDOM DOES RULE......
YQS
CATHY
One month, three weeks, two days, 13 hours, 14 minutes and 24 seconds. 1071 cigarettes not smoked, saving $160.65. Life saved: 3 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes.

Steve (green)

24 Jun 2001, 02:07 #10

Hi Joel,

Thank you for this discussion.

I am a newbie at just 1 month, 2 weeks, 2 days. I still think about smoking quite often. I would say at least a half an hour day. I was worried about this but now that I have written it down I realize that really isn't to bad, considering I used to think about smoking about every half hour or so. the worst time for me is when I'm really busy and minding my own business when bam!! Suddenly I want a cigarette. For no apparent reason. But i do realize that I think much more about not smoking than I do about smoking. I just long for the first day when I realize I never even thought about it. That will be the day I'm really free.

Steve