Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette

Keilit (Gold )
Keilit (Gold )

June 24th, 2001, 2:56 am #11

This is me, the VERY proud ex-smoker and I can honestly say that I think about smoking 0 percent of most days. Once a week I might get a second
or two thought, but then it's gone so fast I don't even pause to acknowledge it
anymore!! I am so glad I quit. I no longer ride the ups and downs of my addiction, but am free to enjoy the peace and calm I now have in my life.
Never take another puff!!!!
-Heather
One month, three weeks, 5 hours, 46 minutes and 2 seconds. 522 cigarettes not smoked, saving $111.01. Life saved: 1 day, 19 hours, 30 minutes to spend with my daughter and my new boyfriend!!
Last edited by Keilit (Gold ) on February 21st, 2009, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

amcanuck ( GOLD )
amcanuck ( GOLD )

June 24th, 2001, 3:03 am #12

This is a really good idea for a parade. A lot of times I dont get to be in the parade because I dont have computer access at work. So Im especially glad to see that Joel chose a Saturday for it. I have very few actual thoughts of wanting a smoke. Maybe a few times a week I picture myself having one,but those thoughts last only about 5 seconds each,and are easily forgotten. I spend other time reflecting on wishing I had never smoked,and what it has done to me. But those thoughts just compell me to come to Freedom and see if I can lend a hand in a quit as others did for me. I have been quit for 4M 3W and 3Ds. ................And you know what? Quitting smoking really was only hard at the beginning.........amcanuck
Last edited by amcanuck ( GOLD ) on February 21st, 2009, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

June 24th, 2001, 3:42 am #13

Hi Joel, great idea!
Here are my statistics....
Two years, four months, three weeks, six days, 14 hours, 32 minutes and 29 seconds. 17572 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,074.97. Life saved: 8 weeks, 5 days, 20 minutes.
I no longer crave cigarettes and can't remember the last time I did. It really is amazing because during those early days I would have found that hard to believe. : )
It is important for all new quitters to understand that the comfort does come. If you face any challenges - consider them temporary. It gets better with every new day. The benefits are incredible.
Be sure to work through it one day at a time.
Love and hugs to all!
Joanne
Last edited by Joanne Gold on February 21st, 2009, 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patticake (Gold)
Patticake (Gold)

June 24th, 2001, 4:31 am #14

I have to be honest here and say that not a day goes by that I don't have a 'smoking thought'. I smoked for 40+ years and that is the majority of my life to date. A smoker is who I was, it was a part of my life and I know realistically for me it will take time for those memories to fade. But the thoughts are fleeting and I find I am able to push them further and further into my 'not very important to think about department'. However I do take care in my acknowledgement of them as I take care to maintain control over them. Personally I think I'll probably always have the thoughts, as I said it was a part of who I am. It would be nice to think I could forever blot it from my memory, but I don't think I can do that. So let's say I think a few seconds several times a day. 5m, 6d, 6h, 4718ns, a saving of $778.28, LS: 2w, 2d, 9hrs, 10m, and happily counting. Antonia Oh yes our dear newbies, please note I said 'thought'. Thought only, cows will fly before I ever want one.

Joel
Joel

June 24th, 2001, 4:57 am #15

Hello Patticake and Steve:

I wanted to say to both of you that you should not be at all discouraged that you still think about smoking a few times a day. This is probably more the norm than the exception. What is important to note though is that if you total up the number of times a day and the total number of seconds or minutes a day it probably is a pretty low number.

In contrast, think of how many times a day you wanted or needed to smoke when you were a smoker. That number is the number of cigarettes you smoked per day (maybe 20 to 40 times a day, depending on what you smoked) plus all the times you wanted to light one but because of smoking restrictions you could not. If you total these two numbers together they probably far outnumber the thoughts you have today.

Also, if you think to how many times a day you may have thought about quitting, or at least wished you were not smoking when you were a smoker. That number too probably outnumbers the smoking thoughts you get today. Neither side is perfect, but this side is a whole lot better than the other. And this side does get easier and easier with time, the other side got worse and was killing you along the way. So again, neither side is perfect but this side is a whole lot better. To keep yourself on the road to recovery now just always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

mirigirl (silver)
mirigirl (silver)

June 24th, 2001, 6:54 am #16

How many seconds a day do I still want a cigarette??
I would have to say
NONE!
Have thoughts about smoking - what it was like, how I don't smoke now, pop into the Freedom Board, see people smoking etc etc...well yes.... but actually want a cigarette?
NONE
Crave for a cigarette? Physically? Absolutely
NONE
Crave for a cigarette..emotionally? Mentally? When under stress? Even then
NONE
And this is what totally amazes about my Freedom. I always thought that there would be some sort of ongoing struggle in staying Quit...eternally vigilant!?...well no... aware - yes! I am aware and accept I am a nicotine addict. I do remind my self each day that I 'm happy not to smoke, and then I get on with it. This is to me, the Freedom I NEVER thought possible.... and I haven't had an easy journey of it.. not that I've continually craved cigarettes...but the healing changes in my life triggered by my Quit have run deep....and I'm grateful for that. The fog of smoking has lifted from my life and I am free to look at other areas of my life. True Freedom has arrived and it came a lot quicker than I thought.
To the newbie, all I can say is:
Hang Tuff, Keep the Quit and Freedom will be Yours.
yqs Maz
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!
Five months, three days, 8 hours, 56 minutes and 35 seconds of FREEDOM!!
3859 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,235.31. Life saved: 1 week, 6 days, 9 hours, 35 minutes.
Last edited by mirigirl (silver) on February 21st, 2009, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

LadynRed (Bronze)
LadynRed (Bronze)

June 24th, 2001, 7:28 am #17

Hi All,

This is a great topic and one that I really feel good after reading. Joel, your reply to Patticake and Steve made me feel good and feel quote/unquote 'normal," and I'll explain why:

I would say that maybe 2 to 3 times a week I have a thought about smoking and thinking back to times when I smoked. It only lasts about 5 or 6 seconds and I quickly reinforce to myself the reasons I quit and it passes. I recently started a new job and during break I watch the puffers (they're outdoors, of course) and I can smell them and watch the dirty nasty habit of smoking and it turns me off. I watch them head for the door with the cigs in hand with their lighter as they rush out and light up at the end of the day....all of that stuff really makes me sooo glad I quit and really looking at the smoking habit for what it is: Dirty, smelly, nasty looking and downright stupid, yes stupid. But even with my attitude being that now, there are times when I feel an 'urge' hit and then think of those things (the nasty habit of smoking) and it passes pretty quickly, like I said, maybe 5 or 6 seconds.

So, Joel, thank you for letting me know that it's normal, and I have a feeling that as time passes those 2 to 3 episodes a week will diminish.

To all the newbies, please don't think I'm suffering in any way, I'm not, I've never felt better in my life, I smoked for 30 years. 5 or 6 seconds 2 or 3 times a week is NO BIG DEAL....most of the week I don't think of smoking at all. If I think of smoking, it's not that I'm thinking of smoking one, please let that be clear. I feel soooo free now, it's so worth it!

YQS, Grace
Four months, four days, 2 hours, 22 minutes and 54 seconds. 4963 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,054.48. Life saved: 2 weeks, 3 days, 5 hours, 35 minutes.

ZAREFAH
ZAREFAH

June 24th, 2001, 8:07 am #18

Hi Joel!
After 35 years of smoking, 3/4 of my lifetime, here's my stats:
One year, two weeks, five days, 22 hours, 52 minutes and 59 seconds. 7699 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,231.85. Life saved: 3 weeks, 5 days, 17 hours, 35 minutes.
How many seconds a day do I still want a smoke?
NONE...EVER...NEVER!
In the beginning all I could think of was the fact that I was not smoking. As I worked through the triggers, the process somehow reversed. At 6 months, I had a week that I swore I was craving every single day (it was a vacation and an entire new set of triggers.) When I came home, back to routine, I was stronger than ever. Sometime after 6 months, I realized I had come to accept the fact that I would never take another puff and that did not frighten me. I knew I was living better without my substance than I had with it. Deep down inside I began to feel like someone who didn't smoke. Amazing! I was able to change a lifetime's worth of triggers around in less than a year.
I intend to keep on dancing for as long as the good Lord is willing!
Big hugs, Joy
Last edited by ZAREFAH on February 21st, 2009, 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kalie
Kalie

June 24th, 2001, 10:00 am #19

Hi everyone!! I'm GREEN now with 1m 1d 19:13 smoke-free, 1,151 cigs not smoked, $287.75 saved, 3d 23:55 life saved...and I think about smoking probably only a few times a day for about ten seconds...and I'm getting stronger everyday!!!
Kalie

Mahree (Bronze)
Mahree (Bronze)

June 25th, 2001, 3:09 am #20

Hi Joel,
I read your question early this morning, but wanted to think a bit before I answered it. The Newbies, I hope, will see that the timing seems different for most people. I think that is important because over 40 years I quit many times. Mostly I would get discouraged because I did not smell the flowers, taste the food, get over feeling really sick and bad, within the time limits that were usually posted.

On this final quit I am 2 months, 1 week, 6 days, 14 hours, 2984 cigs not smoked at a savings of $341.78 and a life savings of 1 week 3 days, 8 hours, and 40 minutes.

Because of this web site I have managed the above stats. Here I have learned about being an addict, here I have learned that 72 hours are necessary to get rid of the nicotine in my body. Here I have learned that the first 3 weeks are not going to be wonderful. I will be dealing with cravings from habits learned over a life time. But, little by little the cravings get less as we meet and overcome each personal trigger. Now, I experience several times a day, bad cravings, but maybe due to CRS, I forget them before they become an issue. Much better to know what to expect and deal with it.

Hugs from Mary

Fat Tony GOLD
Fat Tony GOLD

June 25th, 2001, 7:20 am #21

After five months two weeks and 2 days of abstinence I still crave cigarettes about as much as I did when I first quit.

Glenys Goldx3
Glenys Goldx3

June 25th, 2001, 7:48 am #22

I have quit for two months now, and can say that I have not had a serious crave for over a month. I, too, think of cigarettes from time to time, but it is more about how I am glad I don't smoke than wishing I could. My husband smokes so it is "in my face" all the time, but still I do not want to smoke. I am loving being a non-smoker. So much freedom in so many ways. There is not one thing I miss about it. I can't remember what it was that I enjoyed about it either. I look at other smokers now and do not envy them, rather pity them, but remember always that I was one of them, so I must keep my guard up, but is is not uncomfortable - just the opposite!

So occasionally I think to myself, mmmm a cigarette would be nice (that's the junkie me) and I instantly dismiss the thought (that's the intelligent me) and it is very easy. This whole process takes about 10 seconds and doesn't even happen every day. Only once in a while. So come on newbies, give Freedom a go. You won't miss a thing. Cheers, Glenys
I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Months 14 Hours 5 Minutes 13 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 1539. Money saved: A$384.92.

marty (gold)
marty (gold)

June 25th, 2001, 4:19 pm #23

I have had NOT A PUFF FOR 6 months 3 weeks 4 days : 3719 cigs not smoked : 1 week 5 days21 hours added to my life.

CRAVINGS ("I really really want to smoke and it's a struggle not to") ZERO and it's been zero since week 3.

STRONG URGES ("I would love a cigarette, like it's a hot day, I'm thirsty and I need a drink") ZERO and it's been zero since month 2.

MILD DESIRE ("I could quite fancy a cigarette now, like I haven't eaten for 2 hours, I'm mildly hungry, and I can smell a barbecue") TWICE A WEEK lasting about 3 seconds each time. It's been like that since month 6.

That means I'm thinking that I'd like a cigarette for 6 seconds a week.

When I smoked, there were probably at least 2 occasions each day when I wanted to smoke but couldn't, because I was in a no-smoking office or a restaurant or on a train. Each of those occasions lasted say 30 minutes average. That amounts to 25,200 seconds a week when I was suffering significant anxiety and withdrawal symptoms, far worse in intensity than any discomfort I have suffered from not smoking since I quit.

That's why I believe that quitting is actually easier than smoking.

Cliff (Gold)
Cliff (Gold)

June 25th, 2001, 8:55 pm #24

Hello Everyone!!

It has now been one month, two weeks, 46 minutes and 19 seconds since I quit. That's 1801 cigarettes not smoked, saving $225.16. Life saved: 6 days, 6 hours, 5 minutes. That's after 45+ years as a smoker of at least 2 packs a day.
It has been at least two weeks since I actually WANTED a cigarette. What I have now are vagrant thoughts about smoking that pass in a matter of a few seconds--and I have actually had one day where I realized the next morning that I hadn't thought about smoking at all.

It is wonderful to be free--and to all of you in those tough first weeks--it does get better!! It gets steadily better each day. Will I ever completely forget about smoking? After 45 years, of course not. But the few thoughts I do have are getting fewer and weaker every day! Look forward and never take another puff!!

Cliff

Rena (green)
Rena (green)

June 25th, 2001, 9:39 pm #25

Hello my quitting brothers and sisters,
I am very much of a newbie: 3W15h 20m of being GLORIOSLY FREE. Thank you all for your support and thank you Joel for all the knowladge and strength you are giving us.
I've been smoking for 20 years and this is not my first quit but it is my LAST QUIT.
First few days I had cravings that were not long lasting-couple of minutes but they were very often (every half an hour or so) it was not easy but I was determined. Then I found this site and it gave me so much insight that after that my cravings are almost non existant. They only appear in trigger situations but last such short time that its almost unnoticable. Its more thought of that "perfect smoke" that I crave for then smoke itself (smoke I dread and hate).
Of course now I know that "perfect smoke" does not exist and its just dirty, stinky addiction.
All in all I would say that my cravings last around 3 - 5 minutes max. for whole week (this is because i expose myself to lots of triggers otherwise it would be even less) and I am sure as time progresses they will go completelly.
YQS Irena.

Debi289(Gold)
Debi289(Gold)

June 25th, 2001, 11:39 pm #26

Joel,

Great idea for a parade! I probably think about a cigarette total, 30-60 seconds total per day. Sixty seconds on a bad day. It gets better all the time. I have been beating Nicodemon for 5M 1W 5D 11h 25m 35s. I have NOT smoked 3309 life destroying cigarettes, for a savings of $463.33. I have saved 1W 4D 11h 45m of my wonderful life. Debi289

Stan (Gold)
Stan (Gold)

June 26th, 2001, 1:02 am #27

Joel, excellent question. Most days I never think of a sickerette, however on occasion a situational urge will enter my mind. But thanks to the knowledge that I have gained from this site it is easily dismissed. I really thought about the question and in all honesty I guess the answer is close to ZERO, Nada, zilch, none, I came to this conclusion because those situational urges I mentioned above are not really thoughts of having a sickerette but rather just a fleeting moment of nostalgia. Joel, Zep and all the managers, Thanks from the bottom of my heart for this site. I am Stan, smokeless in Dallas for: Eight months, three weeks, six days, 15 hours, 26 minutes and 14 seconds. 10785 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,483.04. Life saved: 5 weeks, 2 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes........as the country folk in Texas say; "Who'd thunk it"?

Ryan(Gold)
Ryan(Gold)

June 26th, 2001, 1:49 am #28

I have not smoked for One month, one week, three days, 13 hours, 41 minutes and 59 seconds. 831 cigarettes not smoked, saving $128.87. Life saved: 2 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes.
It was very tough at the beginning of my quit but let me tell you that it got a lot easier over time. I have to honestly say I really do not crave that much not that I have quit cold turkey. Probably because it was something I thought I would never do in my other quits, but I'm doing it now. The only time I crave is
when I wake up from one of those d*mn smoking dreams. Those are the WORST let me tell you. So for all you newbies that thought they couldn't achieve freedom it is just 72 hours around the corner. Think of 72 hours and then think of your life...It really isn't that much time eh:-)

Regards,

Ryan
Last edited by Ryan(Gold) on February 21st, 2009, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patsy (Gold2)
Patsy (Gold2)

June 26th, 2001, 2:26 am #29

Dear Newbies & especially "Lurkers",
As a smoker, I thought about smoking a lot..... 35 YEARS!!!!
For the last few years (since I started working at home) I was a chain
smoker @ almost 3 PACKS A DAY! So smoking really
consumed most of my day. And even though I was a HEAVY
SMOKER, this last educated (because of Freedom) quit was much
easier than I ever imagined. (certainly much easier than previous quits)
The last "just one" crave was 15 days into my quit.
NOW........@ 1 month 6 days the only time I even think about actually
wanting one is after supper but that only lasts a few seconds.
I am force to think about smoking often because my
hubby is still lighting up! But what I'm thinking when he's smoking is
that it looks stupid, he doesn't look like he's enjoying it, how could
I let cigarettes run my life for so long. I almost can't believe it was
such a BIG DEAL in my life. It's wEiRd!! I don't feel like a smoker
trying not to smoke......I FEEL LIKE AN EX-SMOKER!!
I just don't want to do it anymore!
Come on all you "lurkers" out there. It only takes a short time to change
your your life.....FOREVER!
Patsy
One month, six days, 13 hours, 22 minutes and 50 seconds. 2065 cigarettes not smoked, saving $284.02. Life saved: 1 week, 4 hours, 5 minutes.
Last edited by Patsy (Gold2) on February 21st, 2009, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

JERGOLD1
JERGOLD1

June 26th, 2001, 3:24 am #30

After one month I still think of cigarettes. The thoughts are in 2 forms. The first is not a crave but just thinking about a situation or activity that relates to smoking It doesn't bother me at all. This happens about 3 to 4 times a day. The second is the crave. Sometimes its hard to know exactly what makes it fire but It's just this intense desire
for a cigarette. It only lasts about 10 to 20 seconds. The craves are not as bad as they were a few weeks ago. A few weeks ago when I had a crave I thought of having a
cigarette and it felt like an enjoyable thing to do. Now when the crave hits I think of
smoking and it makes me sick. I only get 2, maybe 3 of these in a day.

It does get better everyone, so hang in there.

John
One month, 4 hours, 23 minutes and 56 seconds. 623 cigarettes not smoked, saving $145.00. Life saved: 2 days, 3 hours, 55 minutes.

Sewquilts (GOLD)
Sewquilts (GOLD)

June 26th, 2001, 4:45 am #31

Hi All,
I've been beating Nicodemon for 2months,1week, 3days, 16hours, 33minutes...and you want to know how much time I spend thinking about smoking....well here goes it!!!
I have to say that I can relate to the way Marty describes the smoking urges, so I'm gonna use his break-downs to let all know how often I think about smoking....
CRAVINGS: (I really want to smoke and it's a struggle not to)
I haven't had a feeling like this since about the first 2 weeks of my quit!!!
STRONG URGES (I would love a smoke, like it's a hot day, I'm thirsty and I need a drink)
I haven't had a feeling like this for about 2weeks, and then it only lasted off and on during the first few games of the CWS...maybe the first 2 days and only lasted during the games, after the games I didn't think about smoking...
one of those triggers that we talk about...as I attended more games the triggers didn't phase me anymore....
MILD DESIRE (I would love a smoke now, like I haven't eaten for 2 hours, and I'm mildly hungry, and I can smell a Bar-B-Que)
This type of urge hits about 2 times a week but only for approx.. 5seconds...really easy to push it out of my mind if it ever enters...
So for all you lurkers out there, thinking about quitting but afraid of the fight and determination that you need...you only need to bit the bullet through **** week, then it's so much easier after that...It's true, Just try it, I know you can do it...
You just have to keep telling yourself, NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF
NEVER!!!

KiimmyGOLD
KiimmyGOLD

June 26th, 2001, 4:48 am #32

Hi all,

I have been nicotine free for Four months, one week, four days, 17 hours, 58 minutes and 44 seconds. 2371 cigarettes not smoked, saving $533.41. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 5 hours, 35 minutes.

I can honestly say that I really don't want to smoke cigarettes anymore. I think about them sometimes...but I don't want them. When I think of them the thoughts are fleeting, less than 5-10 secs each. It is really not even an issue anymore, the anxiety surrounding the whole cigarette-nicotine-quit issue is gone.

For anyone who is struggling.....Just hang on it gets sooooo much better.

Kim

Triin (GOLD)
Triin (GOLD)

June 26th, 2001, 6:30 am #33

I really had to think to answer this question. I found out that I hadn't thought about smoking today. And I don't remember thinking about it yesterday either. On Saturday, we were celebrating Midsummer day, and my sister (closet smoker) asked me to come and give her company when she would secretly smoke a cigarette. So I had to think about it - because we were talking about it, and I became aware of smoking. But most of the time I have forgotten about it, and when something reminds me of smoking, then I'm aware that I have quit. So I'm thinking about smoking often, because there are too many things out there that make me think about it - first of all watching all the people smoking etc. But I don't have any thoughts of "wanting to smoke" very often. I remember having one last week, and before that I think it was in the beginning of June. So I could say I have the thought of "wanting to smoke" once in two weeks. Every time it passes in about ten seconds. And remember, we're talking about thoughts here. I haven't had a crave for ages - I think I had the last one over 2 months ago. Freedom is great!!! I can enjoy my summer to the fullest!!!!!!!! Thank you :-)

Triin
I have been Quit for: 4M 5D 29m 36s. I have NOT smoked 2540, for a savings of $174.65. Life Saved: 1W 1D 19h 40m.

Joel
Joel

June 26th, 2001, 6:51 pm #34

I have to say that this string has become one of the most important strings I can recall in Freedom's history. It illustrates so clearly what a person quitting smoking can really expect to happen over time. Not just from one person's perspective, but from over 30 people's experiences. It is so common for a person considering quitting or even a person off smoking for several hours or days will go up to a friend or family member who is an ex-smoker and ask the person if he or she ever thinks about cigarettes. The person asking the question wants to know what he or she can expect.

The family member or friend who may have thought about a cigarette once the day before or maybe even once weeks earlier will say that there still are times that he or she thinks about a cigarette. They are just answering the question honestly; that he or she still has thoughts, but often the person inquiring doesn't ask follow-up questions and are panicked by the answer he or she has just received.

For what the person asking the question is hearing is very different than what the longer-term ex-smoker is actually saying. The ex-smoker answering the question is saying, "Yes, there are times I think about or want a cigarette." Its like the urge people get to clean their homes on a particularly nice sunny day. It seems like a good idea for a second or two, and then they come to their senses and out they go to do something more enjoyable. Sometimes the whole thought lasts two or three seconds.

The sequence of events of the ex-smoker can be a train of thought that goes; "Boy it would be nice to have a cigarette right now-no it wouldn't" and that will be that. The thought is over with almost as quickly as it began. It was no big deal and may not happen again for hours, days and eventually weeks or months. That is what many people are saying, but what the short-term ex-smoker or person contemplating to quit is hearing is more akin to "Oh yes, I get powerful crippling thoughts all of the time, every waking moment, and if you don't give me one right now I will rip your arm off!" Again, these are very different interpretations of a simple answer that there are still thoughts for cigarettes.

So I plan to bring this string up often, or at least link over to it whenever possible. For those of you who have not posted to it yet please do so. It is a string that I think can help all our new quitters as well as all people who are lurking in just considering quitting. Your comments can be a great asset to these people. As I said, I plan to use it often for it really captures the essence of what a person can expect his or her experience to be as he or she gets more time accumulated smoke free and nicotine free. Overall it is a pretty comfortable way of life, one that will help the ex-smoker stay healthier and live longer as long he or she always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

topacz (Bronze )
topacz (Bronze )

June 27th, 2001, 4:46 am #35

I THINK about smoking maybe Ten times a day for
about ten seconds each time.
Think about this newbies- when you smoked, how many times a day and for how long did you think about smoking?
And if you couldn't have a smoke, did you obssess about how much you craved a smoke? Well, now I go, "Gosh, I'd like a cigarette... HMMM....HMMMM...now that I think about it, I really don't"
It's like being FREE!