Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette

Keilit (Gold )

24 Jun 2001, 02:56 #11

This is me, the VERY proud ex-smoker and I can honestly say that I think about smoking 0 percent of most days. Once a week I might get a second
or two thought, but then it's gone so fast I don't even pause to acknowledge it
anymore!! I am so glad I quit. I no longer ride the ups and downs of my addiction, but am free to enjoy the peace and calm I now have in my life.
Never take another puff!!!!
-Heather
One month, three weeks, 5 hours, 46 minutes and 2 seconds. 522 cigarettes not smoked, saving $111.01. Life saved: 1 day, 19 hours, 30 minutes to spend with my daughter and my new boyfriend!!
Last edited by Keilit (Gold ) on 21 Feb 2009, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

amcanuck ( GOLD )

24 Jun 2001, 03:03 #12

ImageThis is a really good idea for a parade. A lot of times I dont get to be in the parade because I dont have computer access at work. So Im especially glad to see that Joel chose a Saturday for it. I have very few actual thoughts of wanting a smoke. Maybe a few times a week I picture myself having one,but those thoughts last only about 5 seconds each,and are easily forgotten. I spend other time reflecting on wishing I had never smoked,and what it has done to me. But those thoughts just compell me to come to Freedom and see if I can lend a hand in a quit as others did for me. I have been quit for 4M 3W and 3Ds. ................And you know what? Quitting smoking really was only hard at the beginning.........amcanuck
Last edited by amcanuck ( GOLD ) on 21 Feb 2009, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

Joanne Gold

24 Jun 2001, 03:42 #13

Hi Joel, great idea!
Here are my statistics....
Two years, four months, three weeks, six days, 14 hours, 32 minutes and 29 seconds. 17572 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,074.97. Life saved: 8 weeks, 5 days, 20 minutes.
I no longer crave cigarettes and can't remember the last time I did. It really is amazing because during those early days I would have found that hard to believe. : )
It is important for all new quitters to understand that the comfort does come. If you face any challenges - consider them temporary. It gets better with every new day. The benefits are incredible.
Be sure to work through it one day at a time.
Love and hugs to all!
Joanne
Last edited by Joanne Gold on 21 Feb 2009, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

Patticake (Gold)

24 Jun 2001, 04:31 #14

I have to be honest here and say that not a day goes by that I don't have a 'smoking thought'. I smoked for 40+ years and that is the majority of my life to date. A smoker is who I was, it was a part of my life and I know realistically for me it will take time for those memories to fade. But the thoughts are fleeting and I find I am able to push them further and further into my 'not very important to think about department'. However I do take care in my acknowledgement of them as I take care to maintain control over them. Personally I think I'll probably always have the thoughts, as I said it was a part of who I am. It would be nice to think I could forever blot it from my memory, but I don't think I can do that. So let's say I think a few seconds several times a day. 5m, 6d, 6h, 4718ns, a saving of $778.28, LS: 2w, 2d, 9hrs, 10m, and happily counting. Antonia Oh yes our dear newbies, please note I said 'thought'. Thought only, cows will fly before I ever want one.

Joel

24 Jun 2001, 04:57 #15

Hello Patticake and Steve:

I wanted to say to both of you that you should not be at all discouraged that you still think about smoking a few times a day. This is probably more the norm than the exception. What is important to note though is that if you total up the number of times a day and the total number of seconds or minutes a day it probably is a pretty low number.

In contrast, think of how many times a day you wanted or needed to smoke when you were a smoker. That number is the number of cigarettes you smoked per day (maybe 20 to 40 times a day, depending on what you smoked) plus all the times you wanted to light one but because of smoking restrictions you could not. If you total these two numbers together they probably far outnumber the thoughts you have today.

Also, if you think to how many times a day you may have thought about quitting, or at least wished you were not smoking when you were a smoker. That number too probably outnumbers the smoking thoughts you get today. Neither side is perfect, but this side is a whole lot better than the other. And this side does get easier and easier with time, the other side got worse and was killing you along the way. So again, neither side is perfect but this side is a whole lot better. To keep yourself on the road to recovery now just always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

mirigirl (silver)

24 Jun 2001, 06:54 #16

How many seconds a day do I still want a cigarette??
I would have to say
NONE!
Have thoughts about smoking - what it was like, how I don't smoke now, pop into the Freedom Board, see people smoking etc etc...well yes.... but actually want a cigarette?
NONE
Crave for a cigarette? Physically? Absolutely
NONE
Crave for a cigarette..emotionally? Mentally? When under stress? Even then
NONE
And this is what totally amazes about my Freedom. I always thought that there would be some sort of ongoing struggle in staying Quit...eternally vigilant!?...well no... aware - yes! I am aware and accept I am a nicotine addict. I do remind my self each day that I 'm happy not to smoke, and then I get on with it. This is to me, the Freedom I NEVER thought possible.... and I haven't had an easy journey of it.. not that I've continually craved cigarettes...but the healing changes in my life triggered by my Quit have run deep....and I'm grateful for that. The fog of smoking has lifted from my life and I am free to look at other areas of my life. True Freedom has arrived and it came a lot quicker than I thought.
To the newbie, all I can say is:
Hang Tuff, Keep the Quit and Freedom will be Yours.
yqs Maz
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!
Five months, three days, 8 hours, 56 minutes and 35 seconds of FREEDOM!!
3859 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,235.31. Life saved: 1 week, 6 days, 9 hours, 35 minutes.
Last edited by mirigirl (silver) on 21 Feb 2009, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.

LadynRed (Bronze)

24 Jun 2001, 07:28 #17

Hi All,

This is a great topic and one that I really feel good after reading. Joel, your reply to Patticake and Steve made me feel good and feel quote/unquote 'normal," and I'll explain why:

I would say that maybe 2 to 3 times a week I have a thought about smoking and thinking back to times when I smoked. It only lasts about 5 or 6 seconds and I quickly reinforce to myself the reasons I quit and it passes. I recently started a new job and during break I watch the puffers (they're outdoors, of course) and I can smell them and watch the dirty nasty habit of smoking and it turns me off. I watch them head for the door with the cigs in hand with their lighter as they rush out and light up at the end of the day....all of that stuff really makes me sooo glad I quit and really looking at the smoking habit for what it is: Dirty, smelly, nasty looking and downright stupid, yes stupid. But even with my attitude being that now, there are times when I feel an 'urge' hit and then think of those things (the nasty habit of smoking) and it passes pretty quickly, like I said, maybe 5 or 6 seconds.

So, Joel, thank you for letting me know that it's normal, and I have a feeling that as time passes those 2 to 3 episodes a week will diminish.

To all the newbies, please don't think I'm suffering in any way, I'm not, I've never felt better in my life, I smoked for 30 years. 5 or 6 seconds 2 or 3 times a week is NO BIG DEAL....most of the week I don't think of smoking at all. If I think of smoking, it's not that I'm thinking of smoking one, please let that be clear. I feel soooo free now, it's so worth it!

YQS, Grace
Four months, four days, 2 hours, 22 minutes and 54 seconds. 4963 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,054.48. Life saved: 2 weeks, 3 days, 5 hours, 35 minutes.

ZAREFAH

24 Jun 2001, 08:07 #18

Hi Joel!
After 35 years of smoking, 3/4 of my lifetime, here's my stats:
One year, two weeks, five days, 22 hours, 52 minutes and 59 seconds. 7699 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,231.85. Life saved: 3 weeks, 5 days, 17 hours, 35 minutes.
How many seconds a day do I still want a smoke?
NONE...EVER...NEVER!
In the beginning all I could think of was the fact that I was not smoking. As I worked through the triggers, the process somehow reversed. At 6 months, I had a week that I swore I was craving every single day (it was a vacation and an entire new set of triggers.) When I came home, back to routine, I was stronger than ever. Sometime after 6 months, I realized I had come to accept the fact that I would never take another puff and that did not frighten me. I knew I was living better without my substance than I had with it. Deep down inside I began to feel like someone who didn't smoke. Amazing! I was able to change a lifetime's worth of triggers around in less than a year.
I intend to keep on dancing for as long as the good Lord is willing!
Big hugs, Joy
Last edited by ZAREFAH on 21 Feb 2009, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

Kalie

24 Jun 2001, 10:00 #19

Hi everyone!! I'm GREEN now with 1m 1d 19:13 smoke-free, 1,151 cigs not smoked, $287.75 saved, 3d 23:55 life saved...and I think about smoking probably only a few times a day for about ten seconds...and I'm getting stronger everyday!!!
Kalie

Mahree (Bronze)

25 Jun 2001, 03:09 #20

Hi Joel,
I read your question early this morning, but wanted to think a bit before I answered it. The Newbies, I hope, will see that the timing seems different for most people. I think that is important because over 40 years I quit many times. Mostly I would get discouraged because I did not smell the flowers, taste the food, get over feeling really sick and bad, within the time limits that were usually posted.

On this final quit I am 2 months, 1 week, 6 days, 14 hours, 2984 cigs not smoked at a savings of $341.78 and a life savings of 1 week 3 days, 8 hours, and 40 minutes.

Because of this web site I have managed the above stats. Here I have learned about being an addict, here I have learned that 72 hours are necessary to get rid of the nicotine in my body. Here I have learned that the first 3 weeks are not going to be wonderful. I will be dealing with cravings from habits learned over a life time. But, little by little the cravings get less as we meet and overcome each personal trigger. Now, I experience several times a day, bad cravings, but maybe due to CRS, I forget them before they become an issue. Much better to know what to expect and deal with it.

Hugs from Mary