Television Premiers Happening This Week

Subconscious use cue extinguishment

Television Premiers Happening This Week

25 Sep 2001, 21:35 #1

No, this is not a string to serve the purpose of a television guide for suggested viewing. It is just a warning of some new trigger circumstances that may be presenting themselves the next couple of weeks.
In America we are in the midst of television premier weeks. New shows that you have never seen before will not pose any real triggers; after all, you never saw those shows when you were a smoker. But returning shows that you may have watched religiously in the past can be real trigger circumstances.
Sometimes one of the main characters is a smoker and you may have associated with them. Some shows even do story lines around a person smoking or quitting. But even shows that are totally free of smoking issues can still trigger a desire. For every other time you watched the show--you were a smoker.
Maybe it is a show that you watched with your children or other family member or friend, who you may have never allowed yourself to smoke around. So even though you never smoked while watching the show, when it was over and the other party left the room you would automatically light up. The same thing may happen now, when they leave the automatic thought is to light a cigarette.
So be prepared that certain triggers may occur the first few times, but as with all other thoughts and triggers--they will pass and no longer be triggers once you overcome the thought the first few times.
Also, I should point out that the seasons are changing and this too will create new triggers, even in some of our longer-term quitters. People who quit last December or January have not learned to deal with fall yet. The change of clothes, the raking of leaves, Halloween decorations in stores, and just the many new nuances that accompany a change of seasons can all serve as triggers. But you will get through them all as long as you stay constantly focused on the fact that to stay smoke free year round you must always remember to never take another puff!
Joel

25 Sep 2001, 22:16 #2

Thanks for the warning, Joel. I had my first trigger in quite a while hit me this weekend. I had remembered how you had once said to be looking for what caused a crave, that there should be a trigger attached to it somehow.
I was driving to my sister's and got hit with a pretty strong desire for a cig. I was able to identify pretty quickly where it came from - driving on a toll road. When I was a smoker, I had always timed my smoking when I drove to her house to keep from having a cig lit when I had to pay the toll. Doesn't sound very bad, but it was the strongest desire I had had for a cig in a long time.
Do we have a string going somewhere of different triggers people have encountered? Might be interesting to see what elese has been a trigger for others.
Thanks again,
Nancy

25 Sep 2001, 23:27 #3

Hello Nancy:

I do have a string on smoking triggers that basically tries to explain anything that a smoker did repeatedly in the past has the full potential of becoming a smoking trigger. But I have no problem with another string started here that lists some of our "favorite" triggers. You know, those triggers that catch caught you totally off guard for you didn't even know how integral smoking had become part of the specific ritual, until you quit smoking.

Every one please keep in mind, triggers only trigger the first few times--once successfully overcoming the moment smoke free you begin to break the association. For not smoking to become the habit under all circumstance--just continue to carry on your life smoke free by always remembering even when getting a thought that your continued goal is to never take another puff!

Joel

12 Aug 2002, 11:13 #4

24 Sep 2002, 02:40 #5

It's time for this one to come up too. Also I see that we have a broken link on the previous post about smoking triggers. The address should be http://groups.msn.com/FreedomFromTobacc ... rket=en-us.

24 Sep 2002, 02:56 #6

Thanks, Joel. I'm not much of a TV watcher, but there are a couple of shows that I used to view regularly. Not sure if they are returning. But I wouldn't have thought to prepare myself for triggers about that. Yet I did always carry my pack of cigarettes and matches back to the TV room. (And up to my sewing room; and out to the computer desk; and into the living room; and off to the kitchen. Gosh, it's nice to have my hands free!) Thanks for the heads up. You are an awfully handy guy to have around.

Parker - 15 weeks of freedom & healing

24 Sep 2002, 02:58 #7

26 Sep 2002, 07:56 #8

26 Sep 2002, 22:58 #9

Joel,
Mine was football. Why I don't have any idea but it was.
Now if I start getting that aggitating feeling I'l turn it to something else and just check on the score every once in a while. Se I use to smoke like a chimmney during games the our pro team played in. But now its no big deal cause they stil loose anyway and my smkoking won't change that! (seahacks).
Thanks
Rick
Four months, three weeks, one day, 2 hours, 58 minutes and 36 seconds. 11900 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,779.07. Life saved: 5 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 40 minutes.

11 Oct 2003, 08:04 #10

I meant to bring this one up a few weeks ago. I figured better late than never.

11 Oct 2003, 09:23 #11

Instead of this....get online and read...read....read.

Bob
I have chosen to remain nicotine free for 3 Months 4 Days 48 Minutes 36 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 1920. Money saved: $480.17. I have recuperated 1 Wk 6 Days 8 Hrs 6 Mins 45 Secs of my life back. Yessssss!!!

24 Feb 2004, 03:31 #12

25 Feb 2004, 19:36 #13

Thanks, Joel for the talk on changing seasons being triggers! I never realized it until now, I just thought I was really weak. My last quit was on a January 1st. I was doing well until April rolled around! The spring smell in the air, the warmer breeze, the birds singing, all awakened something in me that I now know where tons of triggers! And I gave in because it was so much easier than fighting it! But now I am armed with this knowledge and I WILL NEVER SMOKE AGAIN! Thanks Joel and Freedom, you are helping me save my life!

Love, Darla

26 Jul 2004, 20:00 #14

talking of tv triggers. ever heard of the marlboro lady as opposed the marlboro man? i was quite shocked to find that superman - the big family movie - was actually backed by marlboro. apparantly they had lewis smoking the brand an agreed amount of times during the movie for which they paid out mega bucks. also there was a van being tossed around in the movie. guess what was on the side? yep good old marlboro. the cig company started a new campaign aimed specifically at women. lewis- good looking- slim and desired by superman himself !!!!

26 Jul 2004, 20:42 #15

Other string that you will likely find interesting on the movie industry, advertising and smoking:

Screenwriter Eszterhas Has Cancer
Anti-smoking ads from the past (read post 41 and 42 in that string as well as the original post.)

26 Jul 2004, 22:02 #16

oh Joel thank you, thank you , thank you for this thread,

I had just posted my silvering hadnt even thought about anything smoking related in 3months and then.....bam that night i sat down and watched sex in the city, i watched carrie puffing away she made it look sooo glamorous and i found myself having triggers again, lucky for me i knew to come back to the boards and read some newbie entries to put things into perspective, but i did find these triggers lasted for a few days nomatter what i read. it was powerful on the night i was sitting there watching tv, i was saying to myself i hope this is not happening again, its a bit scary when you go so long without even thinking of smoking and then to experience a trigger out of the blue. then you just hop into educate your mind mode again! so thanks!

lynda (silver)

20 Sep 2004, 19:58 #17

07 Feb 2005, 06:55 #18

As post number 9 in this string shows--watching a sporting event like football can be a trigger. With the Superbowl starting soon I thought it would be a good idea to get this one up. There are people who watch only one football game a year and this one is it. Just know that you personally will always come out a winner while watching or participating in any sporting event as long as you always stick to your commitment to never take another puff! Joel

22 Sep 2005, 04:07 #19

16 Sep 2008, 00:52 #20

I saw a newer member relating how the start of football season was acting as a trigger. Here is a string addressing this issue.