"Take it ONE DAY AT A TIME"

JoeJFree Gold

14 Sep 2006, 00:02 #31

It is important to understand the concept of such phrases as "One day at a time." These should not be thought of as just empty words or a catch phrase; the concept behind the phrase is key to keeping not smoking a less intimidating and more importantly--a likely outcome.
So whenever you use the phrases of "One day at a time" or "never take another puff," reevaluate the statement and see if your reasons are still valid. If you remember smoking in its entirety you will likely recognize that staying smoke free and healthy and alive is still your true desire and to keep your desire a reality you still choose to never take another puff!

John (Gold)

30 Sep 2006, 16:24 #32

Focus on the Rocks Within Reach

Although all of my prior quits failed resulted because I broke the The Law of Addiction and took a puff of nicotine, the junkie thinking that my mind engaged in immediately prior to destroying my latest period of healing varied from failure to failure. Although many discover the law of addiction and the power of a puff through repeated failure and the school of hard-quitting-knocks, each year millions simply run Imageout of time and opportunities before defeat becomes permanent, cold, lifeless and still.

Although I used stupid reasons like it was time for a little reward for quitting for a whole day - just one quick puff of nicotine that always turned into 3 or 4 - common to each failure was the fact that I allowed my original core motivations to be consumed by my dependency as I became impatient with the pace of recovery. Central to each was that I never once adopted a "One Day at a Time" recovery philosophy that viewed each day of freedom and healing as the full and complete victory it reflects.

Instead of successfully coping with those few moments of challenge prior to each relapse I simply surrendured to them. I now know that no crave will ever last longer than three minutes (about the time necessary to smoke a cigarette).

A one day at a time mind set allows us to focus on success for just Imagetoday, the moments before us now. If we are not successful over the next few minutes then we each know how we'll spend all the minutes, days, and packs that follow. Like a skilled cliff or rock climber, focus on getting a good grip of the rocks within arm's reach. To worry about rocks that you can not yet reach or dwell upon how far it is to the ground below or the distance remaining to be climbed, does not help at all in getting a good grip on here and now! Deal with tomorrow, tomorrow while appreciating the tremendous importance of victory today!

The next few minutes are all that matter and each is entirely doable! Yes you can, yes you are, yes you have! We're each with you in spirit,

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long!

John (Gold x7)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 11 Jul 2009, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

Joe J free

17 Jul 2009, 16:19 #33

Every day the ex-smoker should wake up thinking that he is not going to smoke that day. And every night before he goes to sleep he should congratulate himself for sticking to his goal. Because pride is important in staying free from cigarettes. Not only is it important, but it is well deserved. For anyone who has quit smoking has broken free from a very powerful addiction. For the first time in years, he has gained control over his life, rather than being controlled by his cigarette. For this, he should be proud.

So tonight, when you go to sleep, pat yourself on the back and say, "Another day without smoking, I feel great." And tomorrow when you wake up, say, "I am going to try for another day. Tomorrow I will deal with tomorrow." To successfully stay free from smoking, TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME and - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Joel

(Links below have been restored)

A Positive Affirmation
= "I am not going to smoke today!" = Success!

redsunflower

19 Jun 2011, 10:07 #34

How great to read this post again. It has been so significant and helpful in my quit. I thought I'd comment and reflect a bit on where I am right now with this idea of 'one day at a time'. 

At the beginning of my quit I hung on to this idea for dear life. I could not picture the next day never mind week, month or year with no nicotine so it had to be the manageable, bite-sized chunk of one day. Today, for one day, I will not use nicotine. Tomorrow needs to take care of itself for now. I would consciously remind myself in the morning that I would not smoke that day, and congratulate myself at night. And as a strategy, this worked very well for me. My quit stayed strong.

Today, I still use this idea but in a different way. I go days now, sometimes weeks,  without a craving then one appears. The time in between thinking 'I want nicotine' to thinking 'not today...one day at a time' has reduced to practically nothing. The first part is almost ceasing to exist as I move on so immediately to 'not today, one day at a time'. The two ideas have blended into one, even thought they seem to be opposing. Like the thought has become 'nicotine...none today'. So the cravings I do have are actually affirming my quit. Like, here's a thought about nicotine, and how you don't use it anymore. 

I'm sure this idea will remain helpful throughout my life. I'm wondering if how I use it will change again. Probably. Maybe it will turn into thoughts about how I'm a non-smoker now, I don't know.

Whatever, this idea is so powerful and so helpful when giving up this drug. Thanks once again, and as always, for the learning. 

Redsunflower - Free and Healing for Two Months, Twenty Six Days and 3 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 9 Days and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 2610 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me £261.94.

Joel Spitzer

17 Oct 2014, 11:42 #35

Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 17 Oct 2014, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.