"Take it ONE DAY AT A TIME"

John (Gold)

31 May 2002, 10:25 #11

Welcome to Freedom, where we each celebrate each
day of healing as a full and complete victory !
Don't worry about tomorrow!
Here and now is all that counts!
Baby steps to glory!

Joanne Gold

05 Jul 2003, 13:05 #12

This is such an important thread.Image The concept of One Day At A Time truly carried me through. I honestly quit for just one day and nothing more, that was all I could handle.
Really pay close attention to that concept and listen to what it really means.Image
4-1/2+ years and just for today...
Joanne Image
Last edited by Joanne Gold on 06 Mar 2009, 17:24, edited 2 times in total.

Rickgoldx5

03 Sep 2003, 00:59 #13

ImageOne day, one minute or one hour just take it as you can. If you look at it as a life time you might get overwelmed. Your only given this day or this hour so make the best of it. Just don't smoke today. And I know it seems impossible now but one day, if you really want Freedom from cigarettes, you'll be sitting there and realize that for the first time in years you spent one day without one thought of a cigarette! It can happen if you just let it! One day at a time.
Rick
One year, three months, four weeks, one day, 4 hours, 43 minutes and 41 seconds. 38895 cigarettes not smoked, saving $9,704.48. Life saved: 19 weeks, 2 days, 1 hour, 15 minutes.

coryw42

08 Feb 2005, 04:10 #14

One day at a time, it's working for me Image
Last edited by coryw42 on 02 Aug 2009, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

11 Nov 2005, 04:16 #15

Imagine sitting down to the dinner table and telling yourself,
"I have to eat an entire cow!" Imagine the self inflicted anxiety.
Forget about forever, the biggest psychological bite imaginable,
A new beginning, just one hour, challenge and day at a time!
Just one nice juicy steak a day!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 06 Mar 2009, 17:27, edited 2 times in total.

John (Gold)

30 Sep 2006, 16:24 #16

Focus on the Rocks Within Reach
Although all of my prior quits failed resulted because I broke the The Law of Addiction and took a puff of nicotine, the junkie thinking that my mind engaged in immediately prior to destroying my latest period of healing varied from failure to failure. Although many discover the law of addiction and the power of a puff through repeated failure and the school of hard-quitting-knocks, each year millions simply run Imageout of time and opportunities before defeat becomes permanent, cold, lifeless and still.

Although I used stupid reasons like it was time for a little reward for quitting for a whole day - just one quick puff of nicotine that always turned into 3 or 4 - common to each failure was the fact that I allowed my original core motivations to be consumed by my dependency as I became impatient with the pace of recovery. Central to each was that I never once adopted a "One Day at a Time" recovery philosophy that viewed each day of freedom and healing as the full and complete victory it reflects.

Instead of successfully coping with those few moments of challenge prior to each relapse I simply surrendured to them. I now know that no crave will ever last longer than three minutes (about the time necessary to smoke a cigarette).

A one day at a time mind set allows us to focus on success for just Imagetoday, the moments before us now. If we are not successful over the next few minutes then we each know how we'll spend all the minutes, days, and packs that follow. Like a skilled cliff or rock climber, focus on getting a good grip of the rocks within arm's reach. To worry about rocks that you can not yet reach or dwell upon how far it is to the ground below or the distance remaining to be climbed, does not help at all in getting a good grip on here and now! Deal with tomorrow, tomorrow while appreciating the tremendous importance of victory today!

The next few minutes are all that matter and each is entirely doable! Yes you can, yes you are, yes you have! We're each with you in spirit,

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long!

John (Gold x7)

Last edited by John (Gold) on 06 Mar 2009, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.

KERRYZZME

26 Oct 2009, 01:25 #17

Thank you sooooo much for this tread evryone! It is very helpful indeed! Especially for this newbie! :)

FreedomNicotine

12 Jun 2010, 11:41 #18

One day at a time transports us to days without challenge!
The next few minutes are all that matter and each is do-able!

devonm

13 Jun 2010, 22:23 #19

I just wanted to say that this website has been my salvation.  Tomorrow at 9am will be exactly 1 week of being nicotine free!! I am very excited and proud but it has in fact been the longest week ever.  I smoked 1 1/2 packs a day for almost 20 years (i'm 32).  My father passed from lung cancer in '96 and I kept puffin...Last Monday I went to the ER because I was having tightness in my chest and couldnt take deep breaths...they saw a spot in my right lung and said it was pneumonia.  I go back on 6/22 for follow up x rays.  I am praying that I didnt wait too long.  I have 2 beautiful children whom I love more than life.  I know no matter the outcome of my follow up I will Never Take Another Puff..thank you...everyone on here has helped me...devon

Johnnie

04 Nov 2010, 12:15 #20

Another spin on the same thought: We don't 'gotta' go through this...we get to go through it over and over again every day, made stronger and richer each time that we do.
Gratefully Gold

I escaped from the prison of smoking on August 14, 2010.  
[font]The best revenge is quitting well![/font]