Stronger or Smarter?

John (Gold)

12 Feb 2007, 22:20 #31

Strength vs. Weakness?
or
True Dependency vs. Dependency Ignorance?
We knew lots about how to smoke. Heck, we were experts!
But, sadly, I knew hardly anything about the chemical
that kept me enslaved, and even less about breaking free.
I was ignorant, not stupid.
I needed someone to teach me the law of addiction.
Instead, for 30 years I battled in darkness.
Why?
Last edited by John (Gold) on 08 Nov 2013, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

18 Apr 2007, 04:04 #32

Nicotine addiction can be defeated, but not by being stronger. We can be stronger MOST of the time, but not ALL of the time. That's what I mean by we have to be smarter.
Way to go Dave: 5gold / 31 anniv. / 55y
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 22 Jun 2009, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

forza d animo

13 Sep 2007, 21:06 #33

We will never be stronger than nicotine nor do we have to be.
It is our ability as humans to reason that allows us to overcome urges to reach for a cigarette for relief from cravings or to recognize that we are thinking of a cigarette because we are experiencing something we associate with nicotine consumption. There are many triggers to overcome in the beginning.

We overcome our addiction not by will power but by being smarter. Not by being smarter than nicotine, but by being smarter than we were before we found this website. Quit with your brain it is much easier than quitting with your brawn.

Joseph
Gold x2

Sal GOLD.ffn

12 Oct 2007, 21:16 #34

Image Never take another puff. Words to live by!

John (Gold)

07 Nov 2007, 04:54 #35

According to a 1990 study, what percentage of quitters who lapse and sneak just one "taste," or one little puff, will thereafter experience full relapse and complete failure?

A. 93%
B. 73%
C. 53%
D. 33%
E. 13%

The correct response is A. The study was entitled Borland, R, Slip-Ups and Relapse in Attempts to Quit Smoking, Addictive Behaviors, 1990, Vol. 15, pp. 235-245. Among 339 quitters who tasted tobacco, including those who were unsuccessful in not smoking for even one full day, 314 would experience full and complete relapse.

JoeJFree Gold

18 Apr 2008, 19:28 #36

Saw where a new member was not sure if they were strong enough to maintain thier quit. Well, in honor of Dave's recent 6xGold post I thought it would be better to let 'ol Hillbilly Dave explain why it is our smarts - not our strength - that makes the difference in effectively controlling our addictive relatonship with nicotine.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
I rate this article Six Gold Stars.Image

Ilona

18 Apr 2008, 20:12 #37

Thank you for posting this string again JoeJFree... it is some of the best advice gleaned from the rational approach to quitting.

Recently, on the eve of green, I was convinced quitting was too difficult for me, that I was not "strong" enough... but I stuck it out, reminding myself that "that is addiction talking, not you". I kept telling myself that, and forced myself to wait it out; and, within 24 hours, the addict's thoughts backed off. I won that battle by being "smart". It was hard, because the addiction IS stronger, but addiction turned out to be no match for reason. What's more: I have had great days ever since that battle! As though the addiction has given up trying to get the better of me, or I have gained hope since getting the better of my addiction...

IlonaImage

Stayingfree6

18 Apr 2008, 20:51 #38

Hi Joe
Just wanted to echo llona, battling addiction is like David versus Goliath. We can't win on strength, but we can win by smarts Image .

Joanna - Free and Healing for One Month, Twenty Two Days, 23 Hours and 6 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 3 Days and 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1079 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $262.30.

Joel

19 May 2008, 22:06 #39

Other posts that raised the issue of being stronger or smarter:
From the thread "Maybe I am different"
ImageRecommend Message 9 of 111 in Discussion
I hear in some posts that little voice in out heads giving us messages. Don't pretend the voice doesn't exist, just acknowledge it and remind yourself of what you are doing. You did not initially take control of your addiction by being stronger than nicotine, you did it by being smarter than nicotine. Your little voices know how to get around an prey on your weaknesses. Those voices can only gather strength when you lose your resolve and you will only lose your resolve when you lose your focus. But they can never get around you when you are prepared and mentally ready for them. You will get stronger and more secure as long as you stay smarter. You will also stay stronger if you constantly reaffirm your desire to say free and keep reinforcing your ammunition and resolve. Remember smoking for what it was, appreciate your freedom for what it is. Keep doing this and you will be happy to never take another puff!
Joel

From the thread Carrying cigarettes
ImageRecommend (1 recommendation so far) Message 2 of 158 in Discussion
I know I just had this one up a couple of days ago, but it really is an important one. So many people lose quits because they really miss the importance of this one. Keeping them to show you are stronger is a pretty strong sign that you don't appreciate just how strong the addiction is. You won't win this battle by being stronger than nicotine, you will win it by being smarter than nicotine.
If you keep them around to help in case of emergency, you are still looking at cigarettes as good things with mystical qualities of helping in crisis. As many have said here before, a relapse does not help any crisis, it is a crisis in its own right, one that in almost every case is bigger than the one leading you to take the cigarette. Because the crisis of a relapse can eventually take your health and then take your life.
Stay focused on the fact that you are quitting because you want to, because you want to live a long and healthy life. To accomplish both goals always remember to never take another puff!
Joel
Video Title Dial Up High Speed MP3 Audio Length Created
"I know I will quit smoking!" 2.37mb 23.5mb 2.98mb 06:30 09/29/06
Last edited by Joel on 27 Feb 2009, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

starbirder.ffn

13 Jul 2008, 21:49 #40

Strength vs. Weakness?
or
True Dependency vs. Dependency Ignorance?
Nicotine has an IQ of 0.00, we are SMARTER....get your EDUCATION AT FREEDOM/WhyQuit.comImage
Never Take Another Puff!!! Your worth it....
Star Image 364 days of Living, Laughing and Loving every day with a smile Image