Stronger or Smarter?

Joel

23 Jan 2005, 22:42 #21

I saw a comment made by a new member about how stupid she felt for having ever been a smoker. We actually once had a string that was titled, "Proof smoking made you stupid." The title made sense because it was based on a newspaper article that used that phrase as its byline. The fact is though, once a person is starting to look into quitting they are proving that common sense is starting to take a grip here. We never want people to feel that they are stupid because we believe that people are going to have to use their intellect in order to quit. No one should ever feel that they are not smart enough to quit for in reality, quitting smoking is a pretty simple process--as simple as recognizing that to stay smoke free is no more complicated than sticking with your personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Here is a comment I wrote in the string talked about above:
The title of this post bothers me a bit. If we are doing our job right getting the word out about www.whyquit.com, we are hopefully bringing in people who are currently smoking who are coming to read here looking for help. If one of the first post they see is one titled like this, it is going to give them the impression that we see smokers as stupid people. Nothing could be further than the truth.

Smokers are people who made a bad choice sometime in their life, but it is important to note that there is a really good chance they made that choice with very inadequate information. Also, it is likely that they took it up when they were young and when lots of people make improper choices.

When we are dealing with smokers of many decades, most of them took up smoking before any one really knew how dangerous it was. Even when we are dealing with young people just taking up smoking today, while they may have learned some of the dangers of smoking they likely have not learned the full magnitude of the problem and there is a real good bet that they never learned about the full power of the addiction.

I have personally known some very smart smokers over my lifetime. Some have even been rocket scientists, medical professionals, attorneys, owners of their own successful companies and basically people from all walks of life. Most of you know many of these people too, since they are our current members. These were people who were smart enough to correct a mistake that they made years and decades ago.

Actually, when I promote my programs I personally aim my ads to "Intelligent Smokers." (See Are You An Intelligent Smoker?)[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF'] I am going to pop that post up in a minute because I want to counter this post's title. I hope every person who is reading here who is still smoking realize that we don't see you as stupid. We see you as being smart enough to recognize that it is time to quit and smart enough to seek out information to help assist you in our quit. We also know that you have a great chance to succeed precisely because you are smarter than cigarettes and with the right information you can overcome the grip they have on you. (see the post [/font]Stronger or smarter?[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF'] ) The only piece of information that you must really learn and really believe is that to quit smoking and to stay free is as simple as being smart enough to never take another puff![/font]
[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']
[/font]

Joel
Last edited by Joel on 10 Aug 2016, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.

Andy (Silver)

04 Mar 2006, 22:14 #22

I couldn't agree more with the "smarter not stronger" concept. Case in point, I played poker last night with six guys. Believe it or not even in this day and age four of them were constantly cutting out for breaks in the garage. Me and the other guy left behind got to chatting--once about smoking. He hadn't smoked in more than 20 years and then smoked anywhere from zero to three to 10 cigarettes a day for four to five years in his late teens/early 20's. I told him my story of smoking half a pack to a pack and a half a day for 20+ years.
He says " I can't even imagine quitting after having smoked as long as you did. You must be quite strong"
"Nope, I said. I'm weak, but the difference is now I know it. I'd quit many times before but this finally took when I realized I could never take another puff. Not one. Now that I know better, I do better"

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF--or you'll end up (back) in a freezing, blue smoke-filled garage throwing your butts in a filthy coffee can stuffed with coffin nails, smelling nasty and on your way to one of two places: another tough quit or a tougher road to health problems and worse. Clearly this post was for me, so thanks for reading.

Andy
Smoke free for three years and three months and a few days.

nancy999

09 Mar 2006, 01:51 #23

This is a great post. And this is so true. People often try to place quitting smoking in the same catagory as dieting (I used to). It's not the same and I agree not even close.

First of all, it's a physical and psycological addiction. Second, it's a final quit. With dieting you STILL eat something. We all know with quitting smoking, there's ONLY one way - NTAP!

When I try to explain that smoking is like a herion or alcohol addiction, sometimes people look at me like I have two heads (especially folks in their 60-80s). It's amazing how it's perceived as a "habit" or like a simple area of "self improvement". It a full blown chemical addiction that stinks!

Thanks for this post!

Sal GOLD.ffn

01 Apr 2006, 09:03 #24

Image Protect your freedom, stay smart. Never take another puff!

Crystal View1.ffn

07 Apr 2006, 10:01 #25

" I don't think I will ever be stronger than my addiction to nicotine. That's what I mean by being smarter than the addiction"
This has always been one of my favorite posts Dave! I am glad when I checked in tonight, it was "up". Very early on in my quit, when I realized that "I was NOT stronger than my addiction to nicotine, but I was smarter" it was one of those light bulbs that propelled me on to the next hour, day, week, month, year! It is good to check in. Image Take Care and NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF ! ! ! Katie (So glad and thankful to be free)
Katie - After 40 Years! Free and Healing for One Year, Five Months, Nineteen Days, 12 Hours and 42 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 31 Days and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 9121 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,865.02.
Last edited by Crystal View1.ffn on 27 Feb 2009, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

Mitzi499

19 May 2006, 05:09 #26

I just absolutely loved this and need to post it in my journal.

Thank you, Dave, for those words written so many years ago, but still so pertinent now. (And I am cracked up at the money-back guarantee you suggested earlier this year - absolutely priceless.

Maria - free for 1 month after 38 years

JoeJFree Gold

26 Jun 2006, 10:56 #27

From Above by Andy, who by now is 3 1/2 years + free of nicotine.

......... He says " I can't even imagine quitting after having smoked as long as you did. You must be quite strong"
"Nope, I said. I'm weak, but the difference is now I know it. I'd quit many times before but this finally took when I realized I could never take another puff. Not one. Now that I know better, I do better"

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF--or you'll end up (back) in a freezing, blue smoke-filled garage throwing your butts in a filthy coffee can stuffed with coffin nails, smelling nasty and on your way to one of two places: another tough quit or a tougher road to health problems and worse. Clearly this post was for me, so thanks for reading.

Andy
Smoke free for three years and three months and a few days.

Meant to reply when you posted in March - Thanks for posting this. Another bit of ammo for the kit.Image JoeJ Free, a nicotine addict & ex-smoker for 1 year, 5 months, 15 days, 12 hours, 39 minutes and 34 seconds (531 days).
I've not smoked 13288 death sticks, and saved $2,716.54.
I've saved 46 days, 3 hours and 20 minutes of my life.Image
NTAP!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 08 Nov 2013, 01:12, edited 2 times in total.

MomTo5Girls

26 Jun 2006, 22:58 #28

I can always start back tomorrow, I'll just not smoke today, etc

I feel really stupid right now. I know I've heard and everyone keeps saying 1 day at a time but I never completely realized what we were all talking about. This puts it into words. Like I said, I feel really stupid for not having gotten it sooner. All these days and the light finally goes on. lol

Kimm - Free of nicotine for One week, five days, 16 hours, 56 minutes and 57 seconds. 190 cigarettes not smoked, saving $52.41. Life saved: 15 hours, 50 minutes. Quit Date: 6/13/06 6:00pm EDT

auntvaleria

22 Jan 2007, 12:20 #29

SMARTER!

Imageaunt valeria
I have been quit for 10 Months, 3 Weeks, 5 Days, 2 hours, 49 minutes and 59 seconds (332 days). I have saved $913.31 by not smoking 6,642 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Weeks, 2 Days, 1 hour and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/23/2006 7:30 PM

SandraJ0 Gold1

23 Jan 2007, 00:29 #30

love this one. Image