Stronger or Smarter?

John (Gold)

11 Aug 2003, 08:50 #11

New European Union Addiction Warning

Joel

07 Dec 2003, 21:40 #12

On the graduation day of my Stop Smoking Clinics, among other items I give a pin to all the clinic graduates. It is an "IQ" pin, which stands for "I Quit." This was a pin that was designed by the American Cancer Society back in the 1970's, and is actually out of production. I had a few hundred of them left on hand at the time they went out of production a few years ago.

The pins were once well know in America for there was a big media campaign surrounding it for many years. Some of you may remember that American actors Tony Randall and Tony Curtis were the two celebrity spokespeople who were promoting quitting and getting the "IQ" pins.

I used the pins in all of the clinics I ran from 1976 to the present. Actually, I am going to run out of them in a few months now.

When I first started using the in my clinics I didn't need to explain what they were to people at the graduation, people recognized the pin from the media campaigns. But by the time I was using them in the 80's most people had forgotten what they were.

By the late 1970's, when I was about to present the pin to at the graduation I felt the need explain a little about what it meant in relationship to quitting. At first I just described it for what it was, the history of the pin. Then in 1977 or so I gave it a little more of an entertaining introduction.

I would tell the group that I was giving them all the pin to wear because it stood for "I Quit" smoking. I would go on to say that people would see the pin and think that the wearer must be really smart, wearing an "IQ" pin and all. I then told the group that they should explain that the IQ pin didn't mean that the person wearing it was really smart, it just means that the person had quit smoking. But then if you think about it, the person is really smart because he or she did quit smoking, so basically the person doesn't have to say anything if he or she doesn't want to.

In 1979 the introduction I would give the pin became even a little more complicated. Again, many people had forgotten about the history of the American Cancer Society campaign, so I would introduce it by giving the example about saying how people would assume that the person wearing the pin must be really smart.  There was a clinic graduate who called me a few days after the graduation and was really excited to share a story with me about her experience earlier that day wearing the pin. She was at a bus stop and said a man walked up to her and saw the pin and smiled. He looked at her face and looked down at the pin, looked at her face again and once again looked at the pin. Then he made the following short comment. "Yeah lady, I think you are a ten too. She was very entertained by that. (For those of you who don't remember, in 1979 there was a popular movie released called "10," ten referring to the perfect woman.)

Anyway, since then I tell people that story and tell them people are going to see what they want in that pin. If the clinic graduate is really vain with a dab of a little gold paint he or she could wear a 10 pin too. But I don't think any of them would do it. I think most people realize that the real meaning of the pin is more important than how it might be interpreted by others.

It is up to you what you people now as to what made your quit possible.  It is important though that you understand that you succeeded because you finally got smarter in respect to smoking and nicotine addiction. You are smart enough to know that to stay smoke free all you must do is stick to your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Are you stronger than your cigarettes?
Are you smart enough for an IQ pin?
Last edited by Joel on 05 Sep 2015, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

smurfetteirl

19 Feb 2004, 06:58 #13

GREAT POST FOR ME TO READ TONIGHT ESPECIALLY THE LAST FEW LINES,
THAT HIT HOME FOR ME
THANKS FOR WRITING
LYNDA

Sal GOLD.ffn

28 Feb 2004, 07:00 #14

Image We can be stronger MOST of the time, but not ALL of the time. That's what I mean by we have to be smarter.
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 22 Jun 2009, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

03 Mar 2004, 21:27 #15

Smarter?

For Smoker,
More Prison Time Is No Crime
Tues. March 2, 204
WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) - For a 73-year-old Canadian man, 20 monthsImage in a smoke-free jail looked just too long, so instead he took 24 months in a prison where he can smoke cigarettes.
[/size]

Angelo Foti was sentenced to 20 months for shooting and wounding a man in his backyard who was trying to repossess a snowmobile sold to Foti's son, the Winnipeg Free Press reported Tuesday.[/size]

In court Monday, Angelo Foti was agitated when he realized the sentence would mean he would be in a provincial jail, where smoking is banned, the newspaper said.[/size]

Foti's lawyer pleaded for a 24-month sentence instead, which means the man will go to a federal prison, where smoking is allowed.[/size]

In accepting the longer term, Foti, a dedicated pack-a-day man, ignored the wishes of this family.[/size]

"Dad, they're just cigarettes -- give them up. Quit smoking: you'll be healthier," his son Angelo Jr. said in court. "Just take the 20 months."[/size]

Link to story:[/size]
Copyright © 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved[/size]
Thanks to both Jill and Melissa for sending this story link![/size]
Last edited by John (Gold) on 22 Jun 2009, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

13 Mar 2004, 10:00 #16

Every crave ends whether you feed it or not. Why not bring them to a permanent end! Baby steps to glory, the next few minutes are doable! John (Gold)

Joel

07 May 2004, 21:28 #17

Image In case any person here starts to question his or her ability to stay off of smoking because he or she begins to think that he or she is not strong enough. Everyone here has the ability to stay smoke free--not by strength alone but much more so by understanding. The understanding that staying off is doable and success is a sure thing as long as you always remember that to stay smoke free is no more complicated or tougher than just staying reinforced and knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

TCbudntx

07 May 2004, 22:14 #18

Thanks for the word Hillbilly. The post on being smarter was a message I truly needed today. Nicotine is to powerful and I am to weak. I am a junkie. I just have to learn to be smarter. I can't think about smoking or not smoking tomorrow. I really and truly miss my cigs sometimes and it hurts and it really depresses me. I am so addicted....all I can do is think about not smoking today. I got to get through this day first. I know comfort is on its way and I won't have it all to worry about so much then. I just have to remember what I read and learn here and NTAP. It's alot to absorb but I only have to get though this day first. I will worry about the rest tomorrow. One day at a time is hard enough without the impossibility of forever.

Mark
18 days, 2hrs, and 7 minutes
724 death sticks not smoked while saving 2 days and 12 hours of my life

John (Gold)

17 Oct 2004, 01:42 #19

I just read a letter to the editor by another "John" that very much reminded me of "this John" back in April 1999. I truly felt I'd tried everything -- most things twice -- and after one final failed attempt I decided that I was done trying, no more, NEVER NEVER AGAIN would I put myself through withdrawal!

It was then and only then, when I at last openly admitted that I was not Image stronger than nicotine and there was no way on earth I would ever become powerful enough to control it, that I at last felt a sense of relief and freedom that I'd not known before. I was a drug addict and for the very first time I fully accepted a very simply fact - my addiction was stronger than me and I could not control or kill it.

In doing so it removed the daily mind games I'd played, like always buying just one day's supply (three packs), as tomorrow I'd gain the upper hand and at last take control. I could now, for the first time, start buying cartons as I fully accepted that I was quickly smoking myself to death, as I daily watched the accelerated destructive impact of three packs worth of carbon monoxide and nicotine upon my dying teeth, vision, hearing, and lungs. It was the final dagger into a dying heart and death to a sense of self esteem that pretended by clinging to hope.

Unknown to me, my "bottoming out" and acceptance of being a drug addict was my moment of greatest liberation. It allowed me to stop hiding behind a thick protective wall built of 30 years of rationalizations, minimizations and blame transference that provided sanctuary from a world that didn't seem to understand and conscious justification for that next destructive puff. It allowed me to at last open my mind to a powerful truth and look around at realities I'd refused to explore with absolutely no sense of fear that someone was going to try and take my nicotine from me.

So this morning, when I came upon John's below letter to the editor I had no choice but to stop and reply with my own letter of hope as others had done for me on May 13, 1999. I told him that the that he was slowly discovering were highly accurate. I told him that he didn't need to try and figure this out all for himself as he might just run out of time before discovering the full truth for himself. I invited him here (via WhyQuit) to complete his education while there was still time. It may not get published but I do hope the editors at least forward it on to John. It was worth a try. Millions of words but just bottom line ... no nicotine today, NTAP!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long Freedom! John (gold x5)

Letter to the Editor

Gulf Daily News (Bahrain)

Friday, October 15, 2004
Fuming at lack of willpower
I READ the article on smoking (GDN October 9). I will be really glad if I can quit this habit by any means.

I have been a smoker for the last 25 years and smoke 30 to 35 cigars a day. Many times I tried to quit.

One incident in life taught me not to smoke anymore and I stood it without cigars for four months and then again at another point in life when I was really upset I started smoking all over again.

Now I feel really helpless with this. I don't know what to do. I tried to quit many times but the resolve did not last long.

In the GDN article it was mentioned "people who can go without smoking in the first two post-quit weeks are more likely to succeed" but I don't think we can succeed even in this case because I am a person who stopped smoking completely for around four months and started it all over again. It was emotional pressure that forced me to start again. I think.

If willpower alone will do the work no one on this earth can quit smoking all by themselves because, frankly speaking, how many people could successfully stop smoking with their will power alone?

If we do some research we can find out maybe one in 1,000 could stop with willpower. Others will 'try to stop many times' and start again after a while.

That means depending on willpower alone won't help much because that's what many people don't have. I think we need to get some medicine or good treatment to stop it completely or a miracle should happen. It was so easy to start smoking but now I realize how hard it is to stop.

I am not personally satisfied with 'nicotine replacement therapy' because I tried nicotine patches more than five times and they didn't work at all. I am still a smoker. Also I tried some kind of pipe which we can smoke just like cigars (its not a cigar but looks like a cigar - I forget the name of it but I got it from the UK). There were nicotine tablets attached to it so when we blow the air in, it gives a cooling sensation on the throat and make us feel like not to smoke. This also didn't work for me and I can simply say time waste, money waste. Myself and friend who tried patches and this pipe still remain smokers.

I would like to know if there is any really effective medicine in Ayurveda to help people quit. Some suggested yoga and some suggested meditation but I didn't try them.

If anyone has experience with this kindly let me know. I am looking for a 'PERMANENT SOLUTION' for this smoking habit.

According to my thoughts, even if cigars are restricted in work places people will still continue to smoke. No one can impose full control over this, as long as it's available out in the market. They will still find some places where they can smoke. I mean, if it's available in the market they will somehow reach for this because it's there, as an option for the public to buy, waiting for us to buy cancer!

Imagine this, what will happen if cigars are not at all available in the entire country? All of a sudden its banned and vanished! No one is even having stock of it! Do you think anyone can continue to smoke in that case ? Even if they want to smoke can they do it? No way! Wouldn't that be a better idea? Ban cigars from the country itself so that no one can reach for it (including myself) and they don't have any choice other than quitting.

If medical authorities say cigars can cause that much trouble to health, why not considering banning the product ? What you think ?

Where can we find a permanent solution for this massive problem. I am not at all in a mindset to try patches again as I had enough of it and am not convinced by them.

Any other advice is highly appreciated.

John

Online link to John's letter: http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.as ... ueID=27209

Letter to Editor reply link: http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/contact.asp?pass=LETT
Copyright Gulf Daily News 2004
Last edited by John (Gold) on 22 Jun 2009, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

gold osomashi

06 Jan 2005, 07:42 #20

I love this post and highly recommend everyone read it every month or more! In the first days of my quit, I carried cigarettes around with me, supposedly to prove how strong I was. Now, as I look back, it seems I was doing that to keep them "just in case".
After I read this post for the first time a couple months ago, I flushed all the cigarettes I had been keeping around down the toilet. I realized how dumb that was to have an addictive poison sitting around. Would we keep heroin around? We need a fighting chance--and for me, that is the time it takes to get anywhere, then turn around and realize: NO NO NO we do not want that nasty poison in our blood, brain and lungs.
Thanks to this post and many others, I am free and healing for 3 months and 28 days!

mari
Last edited by gold osomashi on 22 Jun 2009, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.