Stoping 19.5 years of filthy addiction

iMuz
iMuz

May 29th, 2007, 4:19 pm #1

Hello everyone,
After being addicted after 19.5 years, finally it feels like I am getting rid off it. Of course I tried several times and actually for the last year I am continiously in the quit mode. I stop one day, say "just 1" next day and relapse, every single day of the year was like that. It's been really exhausting. I decided to stop because of the person I became. Nicotine changed my personality. I became very irritable, angry all the time. And last year was full of more anger than ever. So I (finally) realized either I should stop or go on but make a decission. So I decided to stop for real at the end. After being quit for 10 days, I am still irritable but it looks like it is diminishing.
This forum is irreplaceable. The amount of information it contains and the way it was buit is excellent in my opinion. I thank with my whole heart to all the people who have contributed.
Although it is mentioned in great detail around the forum's resource, I'd like to share what I learned during my last year, hoping it would help others:
. NTAP is the key, never say "just one". It costed me a year. Not only me of course, everyone around me really had hard time.
. Do not concentrate on the rest of your life. Focus on the next minute and next hour.
. Do not watch the clock and count seconds. This makes smoking very very precious and you become obsessed with it and relapse becomes inevitable.
. Think about your own triggers and get prepared to react without nicotine.
. Withdrawal symptoms are actually that unbearable. Get prepared, focus on something else and stop listening yourself.
iMuz
Proud to be free of nicotine for 10.5 days and already avoided 157 sticks.

iMuz
iMuz

May 29th, 2007, 4:24 pm #2

Just to correct one typo:
I forgot the word "not" in my last learning. It should have read:
.Withdrawal symptoms are actually not that unbearable. Get prepared, focus on something else and stop listening yourself.
Sorry...

DynamicAsh1
DynamicAsh1

May 30th, 2007, 1:33 am #3

Welcome to the rest of your wonderful life. It does get so much better and is does get so much easier. Triggers get less intense and cravings just about disappear remember to take care of your precious quit and NTAP. Stay Strong

Mary, Free and Healing for 3 months and 23 days.

Kris000
Kris000

May 30th, 2007, 6:27 am #4

congratuations on your decision.....sounds like the time is right for you to fulfill your dream. you are doing good work. it is wonderful that there is so much support for all of us right here. i'm rooting for you.

kris at 39 days

mistipine
mistipine

May 30th, 2007, 7:25 am #5

Congrats on your quit! Remember it is a choice you make everyday to not smoke. I have to remind myself every morning and each day it gets easier. Keep up the good work and NTAP!
Crystal
- Free and Healing for Eighteen Days, 19 Hours and 24 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 15 Hours, by avoiding the use of 188 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $28.23.

katsrule8
katsrule8

May 30th, 2007, 7:40 am #6

Hiya and welcome to our band of merry ex smokers - So glad you made it here

Congratulations on your 10½ days - education is the weapon to attack this addiction, and its all here, read/listen or watch as much as you can (its all free), willpower, education and resolve = NTAP simple really

Suzie
246 days of living the dream

iMuz
iMuz

May 30th, 2007, 9:05 pm #7

It is amazing to to realize how good the world smells and the food tastes.

It's also wonderful to receive support from people who exactly understand what you are going through. Thank you guys!!! Let the power of NTAP be with you all.
iMuz
Proud to be free for 11.5 days after smoking 90.000 cigs in 19.5 years.

Paddy989
Paddy989

May 31st, 2007, 2:57 am #8

You go go go go go...

smells are good, tastes are good, skin is clean and fresh.

No more black clouds. No more guilt. No more fear.

You go go go go go go go!

Days soon turn into months.

Paddy

3.5 Months

iMuz
iMuz

June 21st, 2007, 10:42 pm #9

So I am green now . I have to admit, it's been easier than I thought. I am still irritable time to time but I am learning to control it. I have to give most of the credit to this group. My former tries were never so comfortable because I never received the kind of support I received from the articles published here. The service this group provides to the world is enourmous.
iMuz
33+ days without nicotine, 506 sticks not smoked.

libby111605
libby111605

June 22nd, 2007, 3:49 am #10

Congratulations, iMuz, on turning
green!!!
It sounds like you have a good, strong quit going. Hang on to your
quit because I can guarantee 100% that it keeps getting better. It is
a decision you will NEVER regret when you get where I am.
Libby - free for 1 year, 7 months after 37 years of slavery

iMuz
iMuz

June 22nd, 2007, 5:58 pm #11

Libby, thanks a ton for the encouragement. Your quit-meter is really impressive and I am going on strong just because there are people like you around here.
iMuz
34.5 days of freedom

Play free games, earn tickets, get cool prizes! Join Live Search Club. Join Live Search Club!

iMuz
iMuz

January 15th, 2009, 6:28 pm #12

Waow, look at this! I stoped checking my meter a long while ago. And now I am on 1 year 7 months 3 weeks 6 days and 12 hours!!!
How impresive is that!
I have to admit this site was not my only help (didn't use any nicotine replacement devices, don't get me wrong), I read other material as well. But this site's help can not be ignored.
Thank you all and NTAP!