Still Yearning

Retraining the conscious mind

Still Yearning

Delta250
Delta250

October 15th, 2004, 3:07 am #1

Will the want and yearning for a smoke ever go away. I constantly feel I have to taste a cigarette. I salvate and can't get it or the want of the taste out of my mind. HELP!

Connie - Free and Healing for Two Months, Twenty Five Days, 15 Hours and 5 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 6 Days, by avoiding the use of 1733 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $352.10.

richard This is It GOLD
richard This is It GOLD

October 15th, 2004, 3:36 am #2

Hi Connie.....

Time to get reading again.... you know that first cigarette is going to taste disgusting, fill up your head with Carnon Monoxide, make you feel dizzy and nauseous let alone the depression you'll feel for blowing your quit. The second will taste pretty much the same... maybe, after a few, tyou'll get that "aaaaah" feeling.... after that you'll get to feeling "why did I ever start again, how can I find the strength to quit again"

Trust us... it ain't worth those thoughts..... safer to stay quit.... and CELEBRATE...

Go back and revisit your reasons for quitting... and read some of these threads.... hope they help...

Are "aaahh" memories calling your name?

Fixating on a cigarette
I want one ...
"I smoke because I like the flavor"

The urge hits
The terrible threes

You said it would get better but it's just as bad!
Patience

BillW Gold.ffn
BillW Gold.ffn

October 15th, 2004, 3:49 am #3

Hi Connie:

I remember that stage at about 1-2 months. Richard is right, and gave you some great threads. Two others I would add are

Richard is right about relapse... you wont get that "ahhhh" feeling. I lost a 6 month uneducated quit to trying just one. Others have too:
The one puff files

One day at a time! I promise that this will get better!

YQB BillW Two years, eight months, five days, 6 hours, 49 minutes and 13 seconds. 29348 cigarettes not smoked, saving $5,722.72. Life saved: 14 weeks, 3 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes.

Delta250
Delta250

October 15th, 2004, 3:52 am #4

Thank you, thank you, thank you Richard!
Since I posted that I have been reading here (at work, oh well) and that stupid urge is going away. I can admit that it was one of the strongest I have had since I quit! I got scared.....
I have to admit that I haven't been to this site for a few weeks and I know now I still have to read, and read somemore. I'm going to read the threads you sent. Haven't seen them before. Thank god you people are out there!!

Connie - Free and Healing for Two Months, Twenty Five Days, 15 Hours and 5 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 6 Days, by avoiding the use of 1733 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $352.10.

Joel
Joel

October 15th, 2004, 3:55 am #5

Hello Connie:

Richard has already pointed you to some reading materials that should help. I'm going to make one little addition to what he said. He said that the first one is going to taste disgusting. This may or may not be true. I've known people who have taken one after having quit for years or decades and found the first one marvelous--among the best the person ever had in their lives. I've known more people who take one and found themselves throwing up from the miserable taste. Most people are somewhere inbetween. We just don't know what the first one will be like--but we know what the ones that follow are going to be like. They are going to be like the ones you had at the end of your smoking career, the ones that were so annoying, expensive, socially unacceptable, smelly, dangerous and/or deadly that you put yourself into a withdrawal state just in order to break free from them. There may have even been some good ones smoked in the end but there were likely a lot of miserable ones that went with them and when it came down to it, even the good ones were killing you. Keep seeing cigarettes for what they are and keep remembering them in their entirety. As long as you do this you will stay determined and happy in your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Rickrob53 Gold
Rickrob53 Gold

October 15th, 2004, 3:56 am #6

Connie, it doesn't surprise me that you still have feelings for the taste of a cigarette...the cigarette is a highly engineered device designed to deliver nicotine to us in the most efficient manner possible. Taste is one of the things that many smokers smoke for!
Two months is still pretty young for a quit (even my 8 months is still a young quit). Your "want" and "yearning" for a cigarette WILL GO AWAY!! As long as you are committed to never take another puff, comfort will come to you and the thinking about wanting to smoke will fade away. You are doing fine at this quitting business. You'll be bronze soon, and that will make a difference to how you are feeling today.
One day at a time. This is doable, and so worth the effort!
why the urge to smell smoke? Cigarette Smoke Smell Good? It's not by accident. Feel how smoking effects your lungs Cigarette Ingredients - Philip Morris Brands Cigarette Ingredients - Imperial Tobacco Cigarette Ingredients - British American Tob.
(Still want to smoke?)

Richard
8 months, 9 days

RLF2004
RLF2004

October 15th, 2004, 4:03 am #7

Wow COnnie. I was just feeling the same way, which is why I came out to Freedom. Time to read some more, and refresh my memory.

The last couple of weeks have been very sressful at work, and while staying busy has kept me from thinking about it too often, the triggers have come from nowhere. I am 4 weeks in now, and the last few days has been especially tough. I dream about smoking every night. My throat is a little raw, and I can taste the nasty **** coming up and out of my lungs.

I played tennis last night. I had a blast. I am 43 and 4 weeks into my quit. The guy I played is 29, and still smokes, " Becasue he still enjoys it so much". He beat me the 1st 4 games we played. I beat him the rest of the night. He is a better player than I am, but I have more endurance, and much greater lung capacity after only weeks of not smoking! It was nice to be able to run hard, and play hard so that I worked up a good sweat. I could have played for hours, but my opponent was all worn out. After all that work last night though, I can really taste he **** coming out of my lungs today, and as bad as it tastes, it still makes me want to smoke.

I guess this is the life of and addict. This is my life, and I am a nicotine addict. I hope that some day the triggers, and craves don't come by to see me, but until then, I will never take another puff.

Ron - Free and Healing for Twenty Seven Days, 22 Hours and 25 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 3 Days and 4 Hours, by avoiding the use of 922 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $124.59.

Delta250
Delta250

October 15th, 2004, 4:09 am #8

Thank you Joel and Bill,
Right now I'm a little overwhelmed but fine. I don't want to relapse and will not relapse. I can see now that it would be harder to quit again and I don't want to go through this ever again and I'm checking into this site daily. I'm free and healing!!!
I want to live to an old age and I can. That thought keeps me going too.
I'm going to read the threads now.
Thanks again and hugs for all of you!!!