Starting day 3 of your quit. (For our soon to be members and lurkers)

Physical healing of the body and mind

Starting day 3 of your quit. (For our soon to be members and lurkers)

Joel

07 Dec 2001, 21:08 #1

Today is a pivotal day--it is going to get better today, worse today or stay the same today. But once you get through today it really will ease up. One way or another, get through today and tomorrow will be better. That is a much better goal than we could have told you yesterday or the day before. Then we were saying take it a day at a time. Don't even think about tomorrow. After all, tomorrow might be worse. It wasn't guaranteed to be worse, but it might have been. Now we can say get through one more day and it WILL be better.

Of course there will still be thoughts and many awkward moments. If you had quit on a Monday or Tuesday, the weekend will be awkward, with lots of possible new triggers, but the physical withdrawals really will have eased up. The first three days everything you were doing was new--on top of drug withdrawal. By tomorrow you will still have the new situations occurring, but you won't have withdrawal complicating it. So there will still be moments but they will not have the same intensity that you have encountered up to that point. There were a lot more frequent psychological triggers the first few days, with physical withdrawal hitting simultaneously, and you successfully overcame every one of them. If you overcame those you can beat the triggers that are happening now too.

So hang in there and be assured that things will soon be better. Soon meaning in hours, not in days, weeks, months or years. You are in the home stretch. Make it through today and your longer-term commitment to stay smoke free will be much more under your conscious control as long as you keep your quit going a day at a time with your resolve intact to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

03 Jan 2002, 02:02 #2

Once you were able to successfully navigate those first couple of crave anxiety attacks that lasted no longer than three minutes (look at a clock because your mind may seem to slow time to a snail's pace), you'd developed the basic coping skills needed to handle physical withdrawal. Now it's just a matter of continuing to apply what you've already learned.

Instead of relaxing and taking your quit just one day at a time, mhat many of us do is become inpatient with the pace of recovery. It's normal to want it to be over but quitting is a temporaray adjustment period that is very necessary to achieving permanent comfort and a nicotine free life. It's more like healing a broken arm where you delay putting it in a cast for 72 hours. The real healing is about to begin!
You can do this.... baby steps to glory!
YQB John : ))
Image Image

Joel

05 Mar 2002, 03:22 #3

Video Title
You
Tube
Dial-Up
HS/BB
MP3
Length
Added
Starting day three of your quitUTube1.37mb4.03mb1.62mb03:5711/21/06
"I don't feel any better since I quit smoking!"UTube3.18mb31.6mb3.94mb08:3909/28/06
My first encounter with NRTUTube3.99mb16.11mb6.66mb14:3711/16/06
Dealing with people who try to undercut your quitUTube6.52mb19.52mb8.05mb17:4211/12/06
"I don't want to quit smoking"UTube6.52mb19.5mb8.09mb17:4010/11/06
"I'm not joining this clinic"UTube4.85mb13.8mb5.73mb12:3309/27/06
"I can't quit or I won't quit"UTube6.33mb28.6mb10.2mb22:1510/16/06
"I want one!"UTube1.01mb5.36mb2.48mb05:3310/18/06
How I started running quit smoking clinicsUTube3.87mb38.6mb4.80mb10:3209/28/06
[/font][/size]

Supplemental Day Three Reading
Last edited by Joel on 03 Jan 2013, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

02 Apr 2002, 19:45 #4

For as long as you were dependent upon nicotine, you used your lungs to smoke it into your blood stream where 8 to 10 seconds later it arrived in your brain and bathed neurotransmitters in this powerful subtance that they'd grown to rely upon. Within 72 hours of quitting, the blood supply to your brain is once again clean and filled with life giving oxygen. It is then that you'll truly notice the healing begin to deepin! Baby steps to glory! Just one hour at a time! Breathe deep, hug hard, live long. John

kris71780 ( Bronze )

24 Jun 2002, 00:37 #5

Hey guys....I like the name of this discussion....For our soon to be members and lurkers.....I WAS A STALKER!!!! LOL......I found this website and decided that since my methods of quitting weren't working, that I would try yours. I am a VERY stubborn person and though I could have simply lied just to get into this site....WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT....(that's to those who are waiting and may be considering lying)....I used my stubborness for something good for a change and I didn't smoke for those 72 hours and haven't since. Now I am a member here and can talk, vent, get through cravings, make new friends and I feel great!!! I have been able to go bike riding and breathe better and I have been much further from the lazy person I used to be. I used to decide NOT to do this or that because I would have rather been sitting on my butt watching TV and smoking!!! HOW STUPID is that? LOL......

My three day, 72 hour quit and my acceptance to this website was on this past Friday (06-21-02) and I was SOOOOOOOOOOO excited that I had made it and when I got up Saturday morning and posted my first post....I was sooooooo happy....WHOO HOO, I made it this far. Well, like you said Joel, I went through what I guess was my first psychological craving and I think it hit me harder than any so far because it was the weekend and I had stopped my nicotine use on a Tuesday....OH MY GOODNESS....it was soooo bad. It lasted as long as I was sitting there at my kitchen table working on my kids scrapbooks that I had not worked on in a year. I had decided to scrapbook because I was out of stuff to do and I thought, "hey kris, lets do something that you LOVE to do that you haven't done in a while".....but that darn FIRST psychological craving hit so I just decided to get up from my seat to take a little break.....(I had been sitting there for an hour already).....we went to the store and got out into the fresh air and sunshine on a beautiful day and the craving was FINALLY over. I posted that day again about my craving.....(post titled "OMG I did it...I can't believe it" in current topics) and got some wonderful feedback. This site is great and to anyone who is on day four with me and having those DARN psycho cravings....thats what I call them....stick with me and breathe through them.....we can do it....look at all those who have.......

Kris71780 (I think there is another kris here so I had to put my #'s on the back)
I have been Quit for: 4D 20h 15m 9s. I have NOT smoked 96, for a savings of $14.53. Life Saved: 8h.

duertydeedz ( Bronze )

24 Jun 2002, 03:16 #6

Hiyas,

Welcome to the freedom site if you were just browsing. Although it is more likely that you did a search because you may really deep down want to quit smoking and looking to see how others did it. This site is a living testimony that it can be done. I wont lie to you. The first three days can be really tough. But it does get better--And YES!! You can break the hold that nicotine has over you.
This IS the place you need to be. Come on in, read the great articles that are available, read the posts of people just like yourself that found that they have been subjects of a terrible addiction--and have defeated it. You too. That's right!! You can defeat nicotine and the urge to smoke.
This may seem like the tough way to quit. You really must want to do it for it to work. You came here because you are wondering if you can. There really is no reason why you cant quit. Believe me. We Know that You Can Quit. We dont sugarcoat it. You can get through 3 days. We have all done this and know what it is like. Give it some deep thought. Read the articles and posts. Quitting may be the most important decision you have ever made in your life. We are real people behind these posts--just like yourself. And We Know that You CAN do this.

DuertDeedz / William Image

I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Weeks 5 Days 2 Hours 45 Minutes 36 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 1529. Money saved: $267.61.

John (Gold)

21 Aug 2002, 07:52 #7

If you're at the top of withdrawal's mountain (72 hours) Image that doesn't mean that the challenge is over, it means that your brain is nicotine clean and that you're trading places with your chemical dependency. For years it was the jailor and you were behind bars. Now you are the jailor and it is the jailed. The key to the cell is one puff of nicotine. Take a puff and you go back. Stay clean and you stay free. It truly is that simple.

John (Gold)

13 Nov 2002, 23:39 #8

Learning to Feed Yourself Again &
Returning Calorie Intake to Pre-quit Levels
Although we recommended extra fruit juices to you as a way to stabilize blood sugar while your brain adjusted to once again regulating glucose levels that were serviced for years by regular nicotine feedings (via nicotine releases of adrenaline which in turn pumped stored sugars and fats into your bloodstream), juices can be fattening and tomorrow we need to get back to our normal calorie intake.

You should be able to maintain the same levels of clearness of mind and concentration by simply ensuring that your normal daily food intake is spread out a bit more evenly over your entire day. Try to keep your blood sugar level as steady as possible by putting a bit of fuel (a bit of good food) into your tummy every few hours (about every 3 hours for women and 4 to 5 for men). Again, it isn't a matter of eating more food but of adjusting to the fact that nicotine is no longer feeding you and if you are to avoid all of the symptoms associated with wild blood sugar swings you must begin to learn to once again feed yourself with a spoon instead of a cigarette

Because nicotine fed me for thirty years via adrenaline releases of stored fats, I was able to skip both breakfast and lunch, eat a massive dinner, and then let nicotine feed me a stored dinner for breakfast and lunch. It was a deadly method of eating!

Even learning to deal with true hunger can be a challenge for someone who was fed with every puff. It can be a big adjustment but if we keep a small amount of fuel in our stomach at all times we need not experience hunger! If you should forget to put fuel into your belly and begin sensing true hunger keep in mind one simple fact - it takes about 25 minutes from those first few bites before your digestive system can transform it into a form that will allow the brain to sense that you've eaten so that your brain's hunger switch can be turned off. It doesn't matter if you eat with a snow shovel or the world's smallest teaspoon, 25 minutes is still 25 minutes, so learn to eat slowly as you certainly don't need all the extra pounds that could result during the time it may take you to adjust to learning to again properly feed yourself.

Don't allow food to serve as a new crutch or as fuel for the junkie mind in search of a weight gain relapse excuse! It isn't necessary! Also remember that smoking a cigarette was your brain's cue that the meal was over. You may need to develop a new healthy cue. Get creative! In spreading your food intake out more evenly over your day, there will hopefully be far more dinner leftovers, not less. The next few minutes are doable! Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

BillW Gold.ffn

17 Mar 2003, 20:10 #9

.....for Christine Image

janetd (GOLD)

23 Nov 2003, 02:02 #10

I am looking forward to meeting our new members. I've been really tied up for the past few months but I've managed to carve out some time tomorrow to say hello to our incoming newbies. Can't wait to meet you!

yqs, Janet
Two Years and a couple of Days