Some new findings on Nicotine Addiction

John (Gold)

15 Mar 2002, 06:40 #21

Ingrid, don't you remember the aaaahhhhhhh feeling that arrived within 8 to 10 seconds of a new puff? An almost constant dopamine output was our new sense of normal. Did you go an hour without a new fix? Not this kid! About every 15 minutes I was tanking up again! I was Mayor of Dopamineville! The lure that captured each of us was the unaddicted aaaaahhhhhh sensation but once captive, it was no longer a matter of choice but of necessity. My captive aaaaahhhhhs were the feeling of raising my falling blood serum nicotine level so that I didn't have to keep sensing the signs of early withdrawal that I knew were always just around the corner. Some of Joel's articles talk about the "Perfect Smoke" but for me the best one was always the first one each day after going the whole night without a fix or maybe after a meal where I had not been able to smoke for the better part of an hour.

murphying (Gold)

15 Mar 2002, 06:50 #22

I guess I smoked too constantly to allow myself to get anywhere 'needing' a fix! However there were times when I couldn't have one for a period of time that I do remember that aaaaahhhhhh sensation. As far as that first one in the morning...well I was too busy coughing to be aware that it was pleasurable! I don't cough at all now by the way - the human body has a wonderful recovery mechanism!!

wcsdancer (Gold)

15 Mar 2002, 07:28 #23

Right on Brother John!! And very cool "syapse" gif to boot!

Thanks again for your patience Joel, and for answering even more of the endless questions! OK, let me see if I get this...the reason I smoked more during times of "elation" was to possibly arrest the acetylcholine thus insuring continued dopamine release? Very clever that nicotine, double dipping in the pleasure centers! Well, I do think my dopamine has returned to normal and there is so much pleasure in life without the torture of nicotine addiction. Just fearful of the damage I've already done, ironic isn't it? I killed myself daily by smoking without a thought, now that's behind me...I start to worry about the damage done! I can't go back in time, I can only continue to gain more education and of course Never Take Another Puff!!

*Candy* 4months

Alice

15 Mar 2002, 22:28 #24

I can't let this post rest and slide to the bottom. I love reading what everyone is saying about how controlling nicotine is and how it once controlled us. It's so true. Keep posting. And we'll all learn alot about it's addictive-ness. Is that a word?
Thanks. I love this new information on dopamine and what Grumpy said too about the dual effect - - desire/repulsion, mind controlling, a real nasty drug.
OK
Have another great nicotine free day of FREEDOM
YQS
AliceImage

LA 1

03 Apr 2002, 14:38 #25

Thanks, Joel. Very informative.

I can't believe the endless power of this "beast."

(e.g., " ...they may have smoked to celebrate not so much to just pour in more dopamine, but rather to inactivate acetylcholine making the thrill of the accomplishment last longer...")

This is ALL making so much sense to me now....

Thanks for the education. I feel like I'm being armed for battle. And I'm grateful.

Laura

Joel

19 May 2002, 05:41 #26

Image Just want to make sure that everyone here keeps a full appreciation of what they are fighting. Cigarette smoking is a drug addiction--pure and simple--and as can be seen by this research, one of the most efficiently devised and powerful drug delivery systems ever developed by man. To avoid ever being trapped in nicotine's grip again always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

07 Jun 2002, 20:42 #27

Image One more for Dos. Doesn't explain why you took the first one but it sure gives some insight to what caused the tens or hundreds of thousands that followed. The way to stop the future tens or hundreds of thousands now is simply knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

30 Aug 2002, 05:25 #28

Whether it was the first cigarette you ever smoked, the second, the twentieth or the hundreth--one of them finally took you over the edge and addicted you. That addiction is going to be with you the rest of your life now. It will become asymptomatic--there will be no visible or obvious signs or manifestations letting you or anyone else know it is there--but it is still there. Whether the first one you ever smoked hooked you or not, the next one will reestablish your need for nicotine and will be a in every sense of the word a relapse to a potentially life threatening active drug addiction. To avoid ever being trapped in nicotine's grip again is as simple though as knowing now to never take another puff!

Joel

How long does it take to become addicted?
That first puff is a real doozy
Was I addicted?

Farnk Gold

04 Oct 2002, 23:19 #29

Just like what the heroin does: tampering with the chemicals in the brain. Numbing pain and mind. When you tamper with that by manually providing the brain with more, the brain shuts down it's creation process knowing it has plenty on hand. Then when you try to stop doing the junk, withdrawal sets in because it takes the brain a few days to generate the chemicals that it had an abundance of.

Peachy - I guess the same goes with nicotine. The withdrawal makes us grumpy enough to become vicious and/or violent.
Frank

Joel

09 Dec 2002, 20:57 #30

Image Just want to make sure that everyone here keeps a full appreciation of what they are fighting. Cigarette smoking is a drug addiction--pure and simple--and as can be seen by this research, one of the most efficiently devised and powerful drug delivery systems ever developed by man. To avoid ever being trapped in nicotine's grip again always remember to never take another puff!

Joel