So I Can't Run Marathons

So I Can't Run Marathons

Joel

04 Jun 2001, 19:28 #1

I used to have another string of this one running but today while trying to bring it up I inadvertently deleted the whole thing. Christiana and a few other people had some pretty good points there and I apologize for the loss. The board is still pretty finicky here and a little tricky to navigate.

Anyway, it is getting to be summer time now, although the weather here in Chicago isn't necessarily expressing it. I do hope that some of you around the world are having good climate conditions conducive to outdoor vigorous and fun activities. Always remember how cigarettes may have restricted past activities and if left unchecked, how they could have taken away so many others and eventually your ability to do anything strenuous, and even non-strenuous activities over time. To keep your ability to be able to experience life, not just witness it from the sidelines, always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

cathym GREEN

04 Jun 2001, 22:28 #2

Thanks Joel
LOL......when you first posted this, I thought it was going to be something like..........Maybe I can't run a marathon, but at least I can run
And that's what I have been doing lately (after 6 mo of not running) I have begun again........and the first time out, I was amazed at how far I could go without feeling winded.........it gets better each time, and finally I am not so sore today, as I was the first time I ran
I have always been a runner, but have never known how effortless it seems now, that I have wind!!! I love it even more and when the endorphins kick in, it's even more noticeable....
So I am breathing deep and feeling the Freedom!!!
Thanks
CAthy
PS--CANT GET ANY EMOTICONS TO COME UP!!!!!!!!
One month, four days, 9 hours, 25 minutes and 17 seconds. 687 cigarettes not smoked, saving $103.18. Life saved: 2 days, 9 hours, 15 minutes.

Joel

19 Jul 2001, 06:17 #3

In honor of Fat Tony's first marathon. Keep it up and we will soon just be calling you "Tony." Congratulations.

Joel

Joel

19 Jul 2001, 06:18 #4

I meant Tony's first 5K Run. Pretty impressive for a new runner.

Hal Gold

19 Jul 2001, 06:37 #5

Joel, this thread described me to a T. As you know I live at beautiful Lake Tahoe which is at 6400 feet.
I am almost 70 and live 1000 feet higher at 7400 feet in a three story house.
I knew I has the start of emphysema, and the Doctor confirmed it.
If I brought groceries from the first to the second floor I had to sit down for a few moments to catch my breath.
After finishing two or three trips, it was the perfect time to lite up and relax.
It was a few nights later on November 28, 2000 I had a coughing fit where I couldn't breathe.
That was the night I quit cold turkey, and I have never looked back.
I found Freedom 20 days later, almost Xmas time.
I knew if I didn't quit, I would not be here much longer.
Thanks to Freedom's education, motivation and support I am now smoke free, able to go up and down the stairs, and even cut the grass and garden which was previously impossible. I am
HAL @Seven months, two weeks, six days, 3 hours, 41 minutes and 14 seconds. 9286 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,160.56. Life saved: 4 weeks, 4 days, 5 hours, 50 minutes.
Last edited by Hal Gold on 29 Jul 2009, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

13 Jan 2002, 06:15 #6

Again, one of the benefits is all the things you will once again be capable of working toward. Not smoking doesn't mean you can automatically run, cycle, or do some other fun activities further or faster, just that you have the ability to train for it. As a smoker, cigarettes robbed you of that training effect to some degree and for some people, totally wiped them out or even made certain activities dangerous. Life can become fuller in many ways if you decide to pursue other options.

But be careful in the beginning. It wouldn't hurt to get checked out by your doctor, let him know you have quit and make sure everything looks OK from his or her perspective before incorporating any new major exercise activities. You have been assualting your body for many years and you just want to be careful that things are intact to train. But once you get the OK, the sky may be the limited. Odds are you will see your legs will be your limiting factor early on, before it was probably your lungs and heart that lost their steam.

Joel

From: Joel.                            Sent: 1/9/2001 7:00 AM

[/size][/font]

I saw in an earlier post of how one person is taking up running again after eight years. I thought this article would hit home with the person. It is amazing the things that people give up to sustain smoking. Basically, people give up breathing in order to sustain long term smoking even if they don't recognize that is what they are doing.

Exercise is something that is not an easy option for many people while they are smokers. Ex-smokers often have an exercise option opened up to them, but they also have an option not to exercise too. Ex-smokers may develop the ability to train to become an olympic class athlete or work real hard at becoming a total couch potato that doesn't have the interest to stay awake long enough to watch an olympic competition. It is just as an ex-smoker your body is more able to accommodate a more active and vigorous lifestyle if you choose.

But be careful of feeling you have to exercise not to smoke. Your ability to exercise is a bonus of quitting, not a tool for it. Check out the article on Crutches to Quit Smoking to further address this issue.

Last edited by Joel on 27 Jan 2010, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

15 Feb 2002, 21:21 #7

I thought this would be good for people watching the Olympics. While they are not doing marathons being winter events and all, the same concepts still apply. Being able to do extraordinary feats is wonderful and exciting to watch--but being able to do life sustaining activities like breathing is important to us all. It is important to remember that to be able to carry on such essential abilities longer requires always remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

OBob Gold

19 Feb 2002, 07:41 #8

It's funny that this should appear near the top of the board when I walk in. I was JUST thinking about this one during the last few minutes of my beach walk. I was thinking, "MAN, I've got some serious energy today! I was walking the soft sand, instead of the hard-stuff near the surf line. I was jogging up slopes. My legs felt powerful. I was thinking, maybe that dream I used to have of running a marathon someday isn't out of the realm. Now it's a long way off, and a lot of pounds to shed between now and then, if it ever happens, but it's not completely nuts. At least I've given myself a chance.

3 months ago, the same walk was getting slowly less and less enjoyable. I'd usually be jonsing for a cigarette somewhere in the middle of it, so I wouldn't really be enjoying the surf, sea-life, or the exercise. I'd be more out of breath, and struggling to keep up with my wife, grumpy that she was outstripping me. And I knew it was getting worse (slowly).

Today, she was working to keep up with me. We did twice the distance, and I felt stronger when we got back than I did when we left. And that was when I remembered this thread. Lo and behold, here it was when I got back.

The marathon's a long way off, but not smoking has made it a bit more of a possible dream. AND it's made so many lesser things so much more doable.

Cheers,

Bob

knowbutts Gold

24 Mar 2002, 01:04 #9

Go for it OBob!
I too am enjoying exercise again. In one month I will be running my first 5K race. I look forward to coming in last and being proud of it! It will be the furthest I've run since Basic Training 25 years ago.
A marathon? maybe when I'm 50.

Cheers,
Knowbutts

Joel

17 Jun 2002, 19:22 #10

Image It is summertime here in the Northern Hemisphere, I hope our members are getting out and testing out your new and improved bodies. Just know you will always be able to do more in the way of physical activity without cigarettes than you would be able to do if you were still smoking them. Just about the only physical activity you may find yourself not doing since quitting is leaving your house in the middle of the night and "running" to the store because you ran out of cigarettes. Other than this you will hopefully look a little more forward to activity, being more motivated and physically capable of improving your fitness by always remembering to never take another puff!

Joel