Smoking Triggers

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Annejoy4

30 Apr 2005, 06:24 #51

I LOVE THIS WEB SITE ---
I was doing a serious scrubbing of my kitchen ( the kind you do before company arrives) and got hit with this horrendous crave ---- It was bad --- took a few deep breaths and tried to think WHY now??? It's been a pretty good day . So I remembered some of the things that I had read on triggers and realized that this is the first time that I had done this since I quit. Normally I would have taken a butt break (or 2 or 3.....)
Came to the computer instead and found this discussion .. When I read what Amy wrote, I almost fell off the chair. I really love Freedom and the support system that it provides.. Thanks everyone
Anne Joy
One week, two days, 19 hours, 53 minutes and 14 seconds. 235 cigarettes not smoked, saving $64.87. Life saved: 19 hours, 35 minutes.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

11 Jul 2005, 10:37 #52

"It is important to do these things though to break the triggers. Time doesn't teach you how not to smoke, experience does. The more things you experience and the sooner, the more you recognize that there is life after smoking."

Joel

Sal GOLD.ffn

01 Feb 2006, 05:19 #53

Time doesn't teach you how not to smoke, experience does.
The more things you experience and the sooner, the more you recognize that there is life after smoking.

No matter what triggers occur, all that you need to do to overcome it and learn a new experience as an ex-smoker is to Never Take Another Puff!

Joel

Jacqui672 Gold

12 Apr 2006, 08:05 #54

I had crazy triggers all day today. I was craving like never before. I couldn't understand what was going on. Then I realized. Today was Opening day for Baseball here. I associate baseball season with smoking. I associate everything sports related with smoking.

Because I was educated about such things, I survived. It was tough today, I can't lie and say it wasn't. It was brutal. But I didn't smoke, and I am so happy.

Two weeks, 9 hours, 6 minutes and 27 seconds. 575 cigarettes not smoked, saving $158.17. Life saved: 1 day, 23 hours, 55 minutes.

Sal GOLD.ffn

11 Aug 2006, 09:08 #55

ImageFrom above:
It is important to do these things though to break the triggers.

Time doesn't teach you how not to smoke, experience does.

The more things you experience and the sooner, the more you recognize that there is life after smoking.

Don't let it get you down, acknowledge the crave, recognize you don't want to be a smoker and congratulate yourself for overcoming another trigger.

Image Never take another puff! Image

Joel

23 Aug 2006, 21:31 #56

A new study was released today from University of Southern Florida that reported that smokers who quit start suffering symptoms of withdrawal within 30 minutes of their last cigarette. I see it in various news releases as if this is ground breaking news, like no one has ever realized this before. I suspect there are a lot of smokers and ex-smokers looking at this report and thinking to themselves, "this is news?"

The results of this study kind of fits into the original post in this string.

It is kind of interesting because the researchers based their conclusions on their observations of 50 one pack a day smokers. I think that the researchers would find a little bit of a different result if they mixed one pack a day smokers with people who smoked half a pack a day or people who smoke two packs a day or more. Then they would see that the onset of symptoms are a tad more variable than they are reporting here, some shorter some longer.

The research went on to say that withdrawal symptoms peaked within 72 hours and could go on to some degree for a couple of weeks.

Then there was of course the conclusions drawn of how NRT can assist smokers during this time period. Instead of getting the message out that these symptoms are temporary, usually minor and ALWAYS non-life threatening, the study is being used as a platform to push the merits of NRT.

The bottom line is when a person stops smoking his or her body will likely start wanting nicotine. If he or she doesn't give in to the desire or perceived need, the body will adjust and in a relatively short time period the body's demand for nicotine will cease. Then for the person to avoid ever having to face these kind of physical symptoms again will be as simple as sticking to a personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel

19 Nov 2006, 01:51 #57

Audio lesson addressing this issue: Relearning to do things without cigarettes

Joel

17 Dec 2006, 23:46 #58

Avoiding situation where you used to smoke Dial Up
4.67mb
HS/BB
13.94mb
Audio
1.51mb
Length
12:39
Date Added
11/29/06

John (Gold)

26 Mar 2007, 19:37 #59

Limbic Activation to Cigarette Smoking Cues Independent of Nicotine Withdrawal:
A Perfusion fMRI Study

Neuropsychopharmacology. March 21, 2007 [Epub ahead of print]

Franklin TR, Wang Z, Wang J, Sciortino N, Harper D, Li Y, Ehrman R, Kampman K, O'brien CP, Detre JA, Childress AR. Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA.

Exposure to cigarette smoking cues can trigger physiological arousal and desire to smoke. The brain substrates of smoking cue-induced craving (CIC) are beginning to be elucidated; however, it has been difficult to study this state independent of the potential contributions of pharmacological withdrawal from nicotine. Pharmacological withdrawal itself may have substantial effects on brain activation to cues, either by obscuring or enhancing it, and as CIC is not reduced by nicotine replacement strategies, its neuro-anatomical substrates may differ. Thus, characterizing CIC is critical for developing effective interventions.

This study used arterial spin-labeled (ASL) perfusion fMRI, and newly developed Image and highly appetitive, explicit smoking stimuli, to examine neural activity to cigarette CIC in an original experimental design that strongly minimizes contributions from pharmacological withdrawal. Twenty-one smokers (12 females) completed smoking and nonsmoking cue fMRI sessions. Craving self-reports were collected before and after each session. SPM2 software was employed to analyze data.

Blood flow (perfusion) in a priori-selected regions was greater during exposure to smoking stimuli compared to nonsmoking stimuli (p<0.01; corrected) in ventral striatum, amygdala, orbitofrontal cortex, hippocampus, medial thalamus, and left insula. Perfusion positively correlated with intensity of cigarette CIC in both the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (r(2)=0.54) and posterior cingulate (r(2)=0.53).

This pattern of activation that includes the ventral striatum, a critical reward substrate, and the interconnected amygdala, cingulate and OFC, is consistent with decades of animal research on the neural correlates of conditioned drug reward.

PMID: 17375140 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Online link to this study abstract

Sal GOLD.ffn

20 Oct 2007, 23:01 #60

From above:
The kind of trigger talked about here is not just when going out to different places though, home based activities will have the same reaction. Any activity that takes over 20 minutes would eventually get tied into smoking. Mowing the lawn, laundry, using the bathroom, paying bills, talking on the phone, basically, anything that took time very likely became a smoking based activity or had built in smoking breaks associated with them. The first time encountering any of these activities after cessation would be a powerful trigger.

But again, the only way to break these associations is by encountering them the first times, and overcoming them. After a few repeated episodes, not smoking will become the habit for the event. Again, not by time passing but rather by repeated experience. But my closing statement above still applies to them. No matter what triggers occur, all that you need to do to overcome it and learn a new experience as an ex-smoker is to Never Take Another Puff!