Smoking Triggers

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Joanne Gold

08 Sep 2001, 06:25 #21

For Marty, I was looking all over for this one....hope it helps.Image

Also, for those of you rooting on your first Football season......no matter what the score is...you remain a winner as long as you remember to never take another puff.Image

Joel

09 Sep 2001, 18:19 #22

For Tiptoe:

Breaking the triggers to smoking is what makes your life as an ex-smoker become comfortable. The only way to break triggers is by experiencing them and overcoming them without smoking. People always ask, "How long is it before I can do this or that without wanting a cigarette?" Time is not the issue though, it is how long is it before you do the activity over and over enough again to break all the associations that particular activity, person, or event. The sooner you start living life to its fullest, the sooner you start to feel that not smoking is a great way to live life to its fullest. It is a life where everything that was possible before is still possible, and one in which some things that were not possible because of physical limitations may now be possible, and a life that will last longer and be better in countless ways as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Michele

27 Nov 2001, 12:04 #23

Joel you're right about those triggers being associated with just about any activity that lasted for more than about 20 minutes. I am amazed at how predictable those urges are becoming. Almost everything I do was in one way or another associated with the deadly "reward" of a smoke. I can now almost anticipate them and just give them a tiny grunt of acknowledgement....so I used to smoke after this activity too. Well, thank God I don't have to light up anymore. I am steadily becoming free! YQF MicheleImage

zoo

05 Dec 2001, 01:05 #24

Thank god for this website and education this site provides. I was hit with a real stressful situation this weekend. By far the most stressful situation I had this quit. I am in a family business, which is not always easy to work in. Sunday night after an argument on by way home the WaWa's seemed liked they were just calling me in to by a pack of cigg's. Instead I went home and went for a run. I feel my getting through that situation I should be able to get through anything. Now that the situation is pertty much resolved, I am sooooooooo! glad I did not smoke. This site has taught me a lot.

z00,
3 months 11 days no smoke

SweetLorraine (Gold)

14 Dec 2001, 11:35 #25

I'm not even sure that what happens to me is a trigger - sort of - I definitely think about cigarettes in the same place and time - driving home from work - I don't want to smoke - yet thoughts of a cigarette keep coming up on the drive home. Reading about triggers, I should be well past this I've done this drive without a cigarette for more than two months. I'm feeling a little like a particularly backward Pavlov's dog that keeps on salivating though dinner has not appeared for weeks! I still have some thoughts when I sit in my old favorite chair and I haven't smoked there in six months. I'm sure this will pass eventually - I'm not going to smoke because I think of a cigarette - any suggestions are most welcome. Maybe I'm being bothered by nothing. Thanks for listening.

yqf Lorraine

Two months, two days, 23 hours, 4 minutes and 31 seconds. 649 cigarettes not smoked, saving $208.01. Life saved: 2 days, 6 hours, 5 minutes.

SweetLorraine (Gold)

14 Dec 2001, 11:55 #26

Thanks Marty and John - I've been reading and I think I'm catching on - what I'm experiencing are not craves - just smoking memories - arising unbidden from prior conditioning - but I'm not craving a cigarette. And I can choose to think about something else - kept feeling that I should meet and greet , etc.. but they aren't triggers just memories. Whew that's better. yqf Lorraine

Joel

21 Dec 2001, 19:55 #27

The upcoming holiday and preparations will often cause a number of these triggers. Don't let any of them throw you--you will survive them all and break the triggers as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

05 Jan 2002, 00:52 #28

Weekend Triggers Are Here!
If this is your very first nicotine free weekend then keep in mind that the weekend can bring with it new situations, locations, events, emotions and the possibility of encountering unreconditioned crave habit triggers. For example, as Joel says, the Sunday newspaper is bigger and thicker and often took three or four cigarettes to read.
Keep your coping tools and plans handy and ready to go! You can handle three minutes - look at a clock! The trigger could be as subtle as ice cubes hitting the bottom of tall glass or a lazy stroll through the backyard : )) Remember, your subconscious mind is incapable of independent reasoning and just a single encounter is usually sufficient to cause it to break the trigger link and give up trying. It's amazing! Have a great weekend! YQB John : )
Last edited by John (Gold) on 21 Apr 2009, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

Lablover (Green)

27 Jan 2002, 18:57 #29

This is real - Weekend Triggers. I quit on a Tuesday and from Tuesday through Friday, my life is pretty much routine. By Friday, I was beginning to feel great and began to let my guard down on these Triggers.

On Saturday, more than once, I got hit with some of the hardest "craves", I have had. One was going to a movie theater with my non-smoking sister. Now we don't go very often but when we do, I use to hang outside the door "smoking" until she would flagg me in saying "come on the movie is starting", Then when the movie was over, I would race out the door and start puffing right away. She would wait in her car until I was done. It was like I couldn't concentrate on the end of the movie, because I was too busy worrying how patient she was going to be while I had one more smoke.

I felt all those craves come up, very strongly on Saturday. I had not anticipated them, but I do carry lollipops with me wherever I go. And as we were leaving I told her I needed a bottle of water, right away!!Image Drinking water haas been the best think for handling my craves. Thanks for the great trigger and crave information!

Joel

27 Jan 2002, 19:12 #30

Hello Lablover:

I just wrote a reply to you, actually two replies that addresses the issue of thoughts you had not anticipated under the post "starting your first smoke free weekend." Ignore the second post there, I forgot where this one was when I went to attach a note here, but as you see now I have found it.

Joel