Smoking IS an Option

roque(bronze)

02 Sep 2002, 11:46 #11

hi

Sure enough, smoking IS an option. So is getting into the bathtub holding an electric toaster. I choose to do neither.

roque

John (Gold)

07 Sep 2002, 18:29 #12

We played junkie thinking games with our minds for years. It's time for honesty. Yes, relapse will always remain an option for each of us but as long as never put nicotine into these bodies again we each stay on this side of the bars. If you'll only remain patient you'll soon see that it's much easier being the jailor than the jailed. Today is doable!

David Gold

28 Sep 2002, 21:05 #13

What has always helped me is the fact that yes if I really want one I can have one in the next five minutes. I instantly feel ok after reinforcing that idea in my thoughts.

I always used to feel I was depriving myself that I can never smoke again. But hey if I really want one They are readily available. I just make the choice not to smoke one just for today or for the next 5 minutes whatever seems to work for me at the time.

David
3 months +

Lilac (Bronze)

28 Sep 2002, 21:29 #14

the option is always open? Yes, it is , of course.. I am at an odd stage A stage that makes me even more grateful than usual for the forum. My urges and temptaions ebb and flow in a sort of underground way. They barely ruffle my thoughts and actions which must at this time in my life be concentrated outwardly. But I often feel an unease ,an awarenes of the underground life.. It is still wedded to the old smoking ways. and days. I almost feel pity for it. It gives up so hard. And then something comes along to evaporate the pity. Today it is , I believe it was Tom's reference, a poem, which really wracked my soul. The option is always there but what a terrible option is is. Lilac

4LongLife(Silver)

19 Nov 2002, 12:06 #15

I never really thought about it but I was one of those who said it is not an option. You are correct though yes it is an option but not one I want to keep open. I know I will have to fight it but I think I can. I do know how the opiate dependent person feels because I feel that nicotine is on that same level as far as addiction.
Dave
One week, three days, 22 hours, 47 minutes and 39 seconds. 87 cigars not smoked, saving $43.80. Life not used smoking: 7 hours, 15 minutes. Actual life being save: Years

Joel

10 Jan 2003, 01:09 #16

Smoking is an option. Failing is an option. Suicide by many different means is an option. Hopefully no one here will ever pursue any of these options and instead will strive for the option to staying smoke free which will be accomplished by always remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

05 May 2003, 19:29 #17

Stop obsessing on the idea that "you can't smoke." It is not true, you can smoke. You can smoke anytime you want. You can smoke 20 or 40 or 60 or if you really want to make yourself sick to your stomach quickly, maybe even overdosing yourself into cardiac arrest, you could force well over a hundred cigarettes down today just to prove you can smoke. The issue is not that you can't smoke, it is that you can't smoke one without relapsing. Relapsing means you either have to go back to full-fledged smoking again or go through quitting again. Those are both lousy "options." But yes, using your mind set, they are still options. But you have a new option now, a better option or choice to consider. That is if you don't take a puff, not because you can't but because you choose not to, you never have to go through smoking or quitting again.

So don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't do. But ask yourself daily what it is that you want to do. Do you want to take a puff and once again be controlled by a substance. A substance that "makes" you smoke, and "makes" you sick and if left to its own devices will "make" you die, or do you keep control over your own destiny. To keep that control, never take another puff!'

Joel

John (Gold)

29 Jul 2003, 20:05 #18

And so is a 50/50 option of losing roughly
5,000 sunrises - maybe less, maybe more!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 06 Jul 2009, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

CKAgger Gold.ffn

17 Aug 2003, 03:39 #19

One of my friends is an alcoholic and nearly died from drinking some years ago. Since then, he went into treatment and has stayed off for a long time now.
He was at the stage of epileptic attacks and cardiac arrests, so if he ever relapses to drinking, his death will be imminent (ImageImageImage).

Once, I was having dinner with him and my kids, and I explained to my kids he wasn't having any wine because he "can't drink", and he said: "Oh yes, I can drink - I can drink all I want. But I know that drinking has some consequences and not drinking has some consequences and I can choose which consequences I want." So he actively chooses not to drink.

And it's the same for us nicotine addicts - yes, we can smoke. We can always smoke. But, knowing we're addicts - do we want to? And knowing relapse is as certain as for the friend I just spoke of, the answer should be NO - we can't want to go back to being slaves of nicotine. Addicts we always remain, but we can choose to stop being slaves.

regards
Carsten

--
I have been quit for 4 Weeks, 1 Day, 20 hours and 33 minutes (29 days). I have saved kr 1.522,66 by not smoking 895 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 2 hours and 35 minutes of my life.

Alleen Golden

02 Sep 2003, 21:41 #20

Joel: That must have been me.... I did say that - smoking is not an option. I do see your point. Smoking is an option if you want all the stuff that goes along with it. Since I don't want all the "stuff" that goes along with it, I think that is where I got the smoking is not an option part of it.

I have read your article and will think it over. Thank you for your help.

Alleen