While it's true that many times my breaks were for smoking, sometimes I find that I just honestly need a break. I'm still learning how to deal with things while I take a break but here are some of the things that I have done so far that have made my breaks enjoyable. I do work from home, so I guess I have some options:
- Watch the news, or the weather channel, or other TV for a few minutes.
- Play a video game, or a quick computer game like a game of cards or a puzzle.
- Sit outside, perhaps with a coffee, look at the sky, enjoy the breeze, enjoy the smells I could never smell, and take a deep breath without coughing. This has become my favorite break activity, it's so easy and can be done anywhere.
- Exercise, do some push ups. I bought a chin up bar, you can probably find things to do chin ups on nearly anywhere you are. Healthy, pleasurable, and easy.
- Play with my cat! He's awesome and I owe him a lot of attention after dirtying his air with cigarette smoke his entire life. If you have a cat, go buy a cheap laser pointer; it's easy and mindless so you can relax, and your cat has a blast.
- Take an honest break: Get up, stretch, go to the rest room, throw some water on your face, make a funny face in the mirror, grab a drink of water, etc.
- Cat nap! Close your eyes for 10 minutes. Clear your mind, or let yourself daydream. Meditate, even.
- Check your email, read the news on the internet, go watch video clips from your favorite comedy show.
- Put your hands behind your head, lean back, close your eyes, and solve that problem that's been bugging you all day.
- Look out the window. Check out that awesome car! Look at that guy's shoes. Look at that girl wearing that crazy hat!
These are just some of the things that I have done while taking a break that have made the break enjoyable. And of course, the best thing to make sure you do on every break you take is to NTAP.