February 11th, 2006, 11:29 pm #26

It was never that you were needing a break and thus going for cigarettes. It was that you were NEEDING cigarettes and then having to take breaks. The week you quit your efficiency may suffer, but you will make up for that lost time in a matter of days, and soon you will find yourself a more efficient person for the rest of your life.

To keep this newfound efficiency, as well as all of the other benefits of no longer being controlled by cigarettes is as simple as always remembering now to never take another puff!

Joel

Starshinegrl Gold
Starshinegrl Gold

May 4th, 2006, 4:26 am #27

for Nora

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

November 8th, 2006, 8:31 am #28

It was never that you were needing a break and thus going for cigarettes. It was that you were NEEDING cigarettes and then having to take breaks. The week you quit your efficiency may suffer, but you will make up for that lost time in a matter of days, and soon you will find yourself a more efficient person for the rest of your life.

To keep this newfound efficiency, as well as all of the other benefits of no longer being controlled by cigarettes is as simple as always remembering now to never take another puff!

Joel

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

December 6th, 2006, 8:14 pm #29

We all used many ploys to keep our addiction well fed. The end of task or rest & reward trigger are deeply embedded in our psyche.
Understand Why people smoke by reading in Joel's Library .

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

March 7th, 2007, 12:38 am #30

Joel

Jason10016
Jason10016

June 12th, 2007, 1:56 am #31

While it's true that many times my breaks were for smoking, sometimes I find that I just honestly need a break. I'm still learning how to deal with things while I take a break but here are some of the things that I have done so far that have made my breaks enjoyable. I do work from home, so I guess I have some options:

- Watch the news, or the weather channel, or other TV for a few minutes.

- Play a video game, or a quick computer game like a game of cards or a puzzle.

- Sit outside, perhaps with a coffee, look at the sky, enjoy the breeze, enjoy the smells I could never smell, and take a deep breath without coughing. This has become my favorite break activity, it's so easy and can be done anywhere.

- Exercise, do some push ups. I bought a chin up bar, you can probably find things to do chin ups on nearly anywhere you are. Healthy, pleasurable, and easy.

- Play with my cat! He's awesome and I owe him a lot of attention after dirtying his air with cigarette smoke his entire life. If you have a cat, go buy a cheap laser pointer; it's easy and mindless so you can relax, and your cat has a blast.

- Take an honest break: Get up, stretch, go to the rest room, throw some water on your face, make a funny face in the mirror, grab a drink of water, etc.

- Cat nap! Close your eyes for 10 minutes. Clear your mind, or let yourself daydream. Meditate, even.

- Check your email, read the news on the internet, go watch video clips from your favorite comedy show.

- Put your hands behind your head, lean back, close your eyes, and solve that problem that's been bugging you all day.

- Look out the window. Check out that awesome car! Look at that guy's shoes. Look at that girl wearing that crazy hat!

These are just some of the things that I have done while taking a break that have made the break enjoyable. And of course, the best thing to make sure you do on every break you take is to NTAP.

Jason

lfrogger
lfrogger

July 14th, 2007, 5:39 pm #32

I was glad to read this about taking breaks.
Since my quit, when I am at work I still need a break.
A co worker didn't believe me when I said I had quit smoking because she saw me take a break. My response to her was, just because I gave up smoking doesn't mean I gave up my breaks!
Breaks at work were awkward for awhile....didnt know what to do!
I quickly saw doing nothing was great...relaxing, refreshing!
I get more out of my breaks now than I ever did as a smoker!
NTAP!

Lou
3 weeks, 4 days nicotine free
declined 1,043 nicotine feedings
Saved $182.44

Litahni
Litahni

July 28th, 2007, 12:13 am #33

I must say that was one of the hardest things to adjust to once I quit using nicotine. What was I supposed to do on break now? Can I still go sit outside? Well, that's exactly what I do. I love sitting outside and enjoying the sunshine. I don't need a cigarette to go with my fresh air anymore, and I'm not avoiding it because it's a trigger, I'm facing it down and loving it. My job gets pretty stressful at times and the only place I can be sure to go and get some relaxation is outside the building. I don't need a cigarette for that. The still smokers look at me funny, but I just look at them funny right back. I am content with my new found freedom.

Litahni

I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 1 Day, 23 hours, 20 minutes and 37 seconds (38 days). I have saved $155.88 by not smoking 779 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 16 hours and 55 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 6/18/2007 9:41 AM

Joel
Joel

August 30th, 2007, 11:20 pm #34

Video version of this string:
"I'll never be as productive again if I quit smoking" Dial up
2.95mb
HS/BB
8.81mb
Length
08:01
Date added
11/24/06

January 15th, 2008, 7:43 am #35

A Painted Ceiling in a Smoking Room

May 28th, 2008, 5:23 am #36

It takes time to adjust to not smoking/dipping/chewing. Be patient, your brain is healing!

Sal

(Above post deleted due to quite a typo. )

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

July 23rd, 2008, 8:51 pm #37

Joel

We all used many ploys to keep our addiction well fed and ourselves well fooled.
Understand Why people smoke by reading in Joel's Library .

February 6th, 2014, 4:33 pm #38