Smoking and Circulation

John (Gold)

30 Sep 2007, 22:13 #41

Men who smoke risk erectile dysfunction: study
September 26, 2007
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Otherwise healthy men who smoke risk developing erectile dysfunction -- and the more cigarettes they smoke, the greater the risk of erectile dysfunction, according to a new study.

Erectile dysfunction is the consistent inability to achieve or maintain an erection sufficient for satisfactory sexual performance. In a study of 4,763 Chinese men aged 35 to 74 years who were free of blood vessel disease and who reported that they had been sexually active within the last 6 months, the researchers found a significant statistical link between the number of cigarettes smoked and the likelihood of erectile dysfunction.

"The association between cigarette smoking and erectile dysfunction was found in earlier studies," said first author Dr. Jiang He of Tulane University School of Public Health, New Orleans. "However, most of those studies were conducted in patients with hypertension (high blood pressure), diabetes and cardiovascular disease. What distinguishes this study is that it is the first to find this association among healthy men."

Overall, men who smoked had a 41-percent greater risk of erectile dysfunction than men who did not, the team reports in the American Journal of Epidemiology.

And there was a clear "dose-response" relationship, meaning that the more the men smoked, the higher was their risk of erectile dysfunction. Compared with non-smokers, men who smoked up to 10 cigarettes per day had a 27-percent greater likelihood of erectile dysfunction ; those who smoked 11 to 20 butts a day had a 45-percent greater likelihood of erectile dysfunction; and those who smoked more than 20 cigarettes daily had a-65 percent greater chance of suffering erectile dysfunction.

The investigators estimate that 22.7 percent of erectile all dysfunction cases among healthy Chinese men - or 11.8 million cases -- might be caused by cigarette smoking.

And even when cigarette smokers quit, their risk of developing erectile dysfunction did not decrease. The risk of erectile dysfunction was statistically about the same for former cigarette smokers as for current cigarette smokers, the authors found.

"This study really has a strong message for young men," He said. "It may get their attention if they know that smoking is associated with erectile dysfunction -- even in the healthy population."

"So the message is: Don't start."

SOURCE: American Journal of Epidemiology, October 1, 2007.

Online story link:
© 2007 Reuter's Health. All rights reserved.
© 1996-2007 Scientific American, Inc. All rights reserved.

Sal GOLD.ffn

29 Dec 2007, 09:28 #42

Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 01 Mar 2009, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

08 Jul 2008, 06:22 #43

Patterns of smoking cessation in the first 3 years
after stroke: the South London Stroke Register
European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, June 2008, Volume 15(3), Pages 329-335.

Authors: Ives SP, Heuschmann PU, Wolfe CD, Redfern J.
Division of Health & Social Care Research, Kingʼs College London, London, UK.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Stroke survivors are at high risk of recurrent strokes and other vascular events. Smoking is an established risk factor for stroke, with cessation recommended for secondary prevention. Little is known about patterns of smoking cessation after stroke.

DESIGN: A prospective cohort of patients was identified.

METHODS: Data were derived from the population-based South London Stroke Register. Self-reported smoking status was measured at the time of stroke, at 3 months, and at 1 and 3 years after stroke. Stroke survivors, who were smoking at the time of stroke and were alive 3 years later, were included. Logistic regression was used to examine associations between age, sex, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, risk factors, stroke subtype, disability, and probability of attempting and maintaining smoking cessation.

RESULTS: Complete smoking data were available for 363 survivors with strokes between 1995 and 2003. In all, 71% of the smokers had attempted to quit within 3 years; 30% had quit and maintained cessation at 1 and 3 years; 10% had quit immediately after stroke, but had subsequently relapsed (smoking again at 1 and 3 years); and 25% of the smokers had quit after 3 months. Black ethnicity [odds ratio (OR): 6.20; confidence interval (CI): 2.39-16.10] and more severe disability (P=0.035) were predictors of attempts to quit. Older age (OR: 0.30; CI: 0.13-0.71) and black ethnicity (OR: 0.30; CI: 0.15-0.60) reduced the likelihood of smoking at 3 years. Among those attempting cessation, being older predicted maintenance (OR: 4.50; CI: 1.50-13.51).

CONCLUSION: The majority of smokers had attempted to quit after stroke; however, a minority achieved sustained cessation in the longer term. Cessation patterns are complex, and interventions should be targeted at multiple time points.

Source Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18525389

Joel Spitzer

03 Mar 2009, 15:11 #44

Video Title Dial Up High Speed MP3 Length Created
Heart and circulatory diseases 2.81mb 5.93mb 8.82mb 19:18 11/03/06

JohnPolito

30 Apr 2010, 14:31 #45

Risk Factors for Venous Thromboembolism.
Results From the Copenhagen City Heart Study

Circulation. Published Online on April 19, 2010

Anders G. Holst MD, Gorm Jensen MD, DMSc,  and Eva Prescott MD, DMSc

Abstract

Background—Studies have suggested a link between risk factors for atherosclerotic disease and venous thromboembolism (VTE), but results are heterogeneous. We sought to identify risk factors for VTE with a focus on risk factors for atherosclerotic disease.

Methods and Results—Data were taken from the Copenhagen City Heart Study, a prospective cohort study of a random, age-stratified sample of people living in a defined area in Copenhagen, Denmark, started in 1976 with follow-up until 2007. First VTE (deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) diagnosis was retrieved from electronic national registries from study baseline to 2007. Of 18 954 subjects (median follow-up, 19.5 years) representing 360 399 person-years of follow-up, 969 subjects experienced at least 1 VTE, corresponding to a crude incidence rate of 2.69 (95% confidence interval [CI], 2.52 to 2.86) per 1000 person-years. The variables found to be significantly associated with VTE in a multivariable model adjusted for age and calendar time were as follows: body mass index (hazard ratio
for ≥35 versus <20=2.10 [95% CI, 1.39 to 3.16]); smoking (HR for ≥25 g tobacco per day versus never smoker=1.52 [95% CI, 1.15 to 2.01]); gender (HR for men versus women=1.24 [95% CI, 1.08 to 1.42]); household income (HR for medium versus low=0.82 [95% CI, 0.70 to 0.95]); and diastolic blood pressure (HR for >100 versus <80 mm Hg=1.34 [95% CI, 1.08 to 1.66]). Other cardiovascular risk factors including total/high-density lipoprotein/low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, triglyceride levels, and diabetes mellitus were not associated with VTE.[/size][/font]

Conclusions—Obesity and smoking were both found to be important risk factors for VTE whereas total/high-density lipoprotein/low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, triglyceride levels, and diabetes mellitus were not.

PubMed Abstract Link:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20404252

[/size][/font]Obesity, smoking may raise blood clot risk 

Wed, Apr 28 2010
By Amy Norton

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Obesity and smoking may each raise a person's risk of potentially dangerous blood clots in the veins, but certain other suspected risk factors seem to have no impact, a new study finds.
The study, reported in the journal Circulation, investigated risk factors for venous thromboembolism -- blood clots in the veins, usually affecting the legs. If one of these clots travels to the lungs, creating what is called a pulmonary embolism, it can prove fatal.

Some studies have suggested that venous thromboembolism, or VTE, has largely the same risk factors as heart disease does, such as high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure and smoking.
But most of those risk factors have not consistently been linked to VTE. Obesity has stood as the only condition strongly linked to both VTE and cardiovascular disease -- including heart disease and peripheral artery disease, a hardening and narrowing of the arteries supplying the legs.

In the new study, researchers found that among nearly 19,000 Danish adults followed for 20 years, those who were obese or heavy smokers had an increased risk of developing VTE (a clot in a deep vein or a pulmonary embolism).
Compared with non-smokers, those who smoked 25 cigarettes a day or more had a 52 percent greater risk. Meanwhile, obese adults were 65 percent more likely than the thinnest men and women to develop VTE, while severe obesity was linked to a doubling in the risk.

"The main message for the public from our study is that losing weight and quitting smoking are likely to not only reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and peripheral artery disease, but also of venous thromboembolism," lead researcher Dr. Anders G. Holst, of University Hospital Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen, told Reuters Health in an email.

On the other hand, the study found no evidence that diabetes, exercise levels, high cholesterol or high triglycerides (another type of blood fat) were linked to an elevated VTE risk. And while elevated diastolic blood pressure appeared to be a risk factor, a diagnosis of high blood pressure was not. That raises the possibility that the former finding was due to chance, and not a true effect, according to the researchers.

The findings come from a long-term study begun in 1976, looking at heart disease risk factors among adults age 20 and older living in Copenhagen.

Of 18,954 study participants followed for 20 years, 969 had at least one VTE during that time. Obesity and current smoking remained linked to higher risks even after the researchers accounted for age, sex and other health factors.
The findings suggest that two already-recommended lifestyle changes -- shedding excess pounds and quitting smoking -- are key in lowering VTE risk, according to Holst.

He also noted that the lack of a link between cholesterol and VTE is interesting, as a recent clinical trial of the cholesterol-lowering drug rosuvastatin (Crestor) found a lower risk of VTE among patients using the medication.
The current findings, Holst said, suggest that the benefit did not come from cholesterol-lowering, per se, but from some other effect of statins.

Source:  http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE63R4MA20100428

Copyright Reuters 2010

JohnPolito

30 Apr 2010, 15:02 #46

The role of smoking cessation in the
prevention of coronary artery disease
Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2010 March, Volume 12(2), Pages 145-150.

Pipe AL, Papadakis S, Reid RD.

Abstract Smoking (tobacco addiction) is the most significant of the modifiable cardiovascular risk factors. Mistakenly described as a "habit" or "behavioral choice," the onset of tobacco addiction quickly follows the acquisition of an ability to inhale cigarette smoke and is reflected in a transformation of neurophysiologic function and nicotine-receptor density. Thereafter, comfort and a degree of neurophysiologic "equanimity" require the regular administration of nicotine.

Smokers inhale thousands of other chemicals, many of which play critical roles in the initiation and accentuation of atherosclerosis by influencing vasomotor activity, vascular dysfunction, oxidation of lipids, atheroma development, and thrombosis.

Smoking cessation is a priority in the management of any patient with cardiovascular disease. The benefits of cessation accrue rapidly in such patients and have a pronounced effect on the likelihood of disease progression, hospital readmission, and mortality. All physicians must be familiar with the principles of cessation practice and be able to initiate smoking cessation attempts.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/q4877r8l62g44450/

Pubmed Abstract:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20425251

JohnPolito

13 Jun 2010, 19:05 #47

Email from:  Carol
Date Received:  June 13, 2010

Hi:  I am a 61 year old lady who smoked for 46 years and thought everything was good. I worked out at the gym 5 days a week, took care of our youngest grandson 5 days a week and worked 3 to 5 midnight shifts a week.  I did not drink or do drugs because I knew they were bad for me and could cause my brain problems. The one thing I did not know was  SMOKING could do the same thing.

January 14, 2008 while working out at the gym, I got the worst headache I had ever had. Headaches I had been having for 42 years.  This one was like no other. The gal at the gym was a smart lady and she knew something was wrong. After kicking my feet out from under me to take me to the floor, she called 911 and I was on my way to the ER. I do not remember going, only telling her something was wrong. The next thing I remember was February 26, 2008. I was leaving the Hospital and going to a rehab hospital.
I had an aneurysm rupture and bleed through my brain. The Doctors were great and saved my life which I later found out was something in its self. Only 5% of us make it through.  Smoking has a real hold on your brain and I found out just how much . Although I did not remember any of the 7 weeks in the hospital, I did remember I was a smoker.

The Doctor who took care of me and my brain, said I could not smoke again. In fact his words were, smoke and you can find yourself another Doctor. Brain Doctors as good as him are not easy to find and living meant more to me than smoking so I have not smoked since.

I tell people if I had known I could loose brain use by smoking, I would have quit a long time ago. Some say no, you would not have but I know different. I did not drink or do drugs because of the reaction they have on your brain so I know I would not have smoked.

It has been 2 1/2 years now and I am still recovering but alive. Let people know about brain aneurysms and smoking and it might help kick the habit. Not to mention the money you have not smoking. Heck, I am rich now. When I started smoking a pack cost 37cents , now they are close to 10$

Thanks for reading.

Carol 

JohnPolito

13 Jul 2010, 12:05 #48

Email Received:  July 13, 2010
Re:  Feedback
Firstly - thank you. Its difficult to describe just how much finding your site has/is helped/helping me.  
I'm a 37yr old male from Liverpool, England who had his third heart attack last week. I've been addicted to nicotine since the age of 13. I had my first heart attack just under 10 years ago at 28 years old. My latest event has resulted in my 6th stent insertion. OK, I had a high cholesterol level up until my first attack 10 yrs ago (10.9 on the uk bad cholesterol scale) but it has been down to 3.5 since. (safe(ish) is said to be 5).

I did quit for over two years in 2000 but became ensnared again from smoking just one while drunk on holiday in 2002 and have been smoking 10 to 20 per day since. I knew what I was doing but couldn't understand why really. I knew that I'd probably have another event or probably die but couldn't either stop it or found it easy to convince myself that I would get away with it. Until now, after finding your site. Everything makes sense.

Basically you have given me hope by giving me knowledge. I feel that I can fight this now. It wasn't  the stopping that I found difficult (Being in a cardio ward hooked up to a wharfrin drip and ECG physically helped with that!), it was the months and years later that seemed to be the issue. I felt deprived. I don't feel or think of it like that now. I believe that now I have a hope. I didn't understand the nature of the addiction and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get away with the odd one here and there.

I just had to write to you and your team. If I can ever help with the crusade I will. I promise to promote your site at every opportunity.

Just wanted you to know. Your making a difference to many people globally. God bless you.

Ivan

JohnPolito

11 Nov 2011, 19:41 #49

----- Original Message -----
[color=]From: Chris Coahran [/color]
To: john@whyquit.com
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 1:36 PM
Subject: You may want to use my story to help others, coming from a humbled perspective

Dear John,

My name is Chris Coahran. First, please feel free to use any part of my story for others’ benefit. 

I was an athlete in school. I could run 440 yards in 48 seconds. I pole vaulted. I always did 4 events, every track meet, from 6th grade to 12th. I played football, basketball, baseball, and ran track for those years. I had scholarship contact. I was in the best shape. And I smoked during those years. I started in 2nd grade, and started seriously inhaling in 5th, age 11. I never stopped.

I had my first heart attack in 1997. I was life-lined to Methodist hospital in Indianapolis, dying twice en route. Angioplasty and two stents inserted then. After I got out of intensive care, I convinced a family member to leave a pack of cigarettes and a lighter with me. I then would go on my “recoup” walks. I would get out of the hospital bed, walk down the hallway, get on the elevator, and walk 100 yards to the front entrance to the hospital. I was wired up with a mobile EKG monitor, and wore a hospital gown. I stood in front of the hospital and smoked, 2 days after being life-lined. In the pouring rain and sleet. To smoke. This was in April, 1997. Again, 3 months later, I went camping for the 4th of July. I smoked, and drank beer. Back to the hospital for 3 days.

I continued smoking. For the next 14 years. I am now on the 3rd internal defibrillator inserted in my chest. I accrued close to $200,000 in debt from hospital bills. And still smoked. My Dad had smoked for 55 years. He had a quintuple bypass, and then he stopped. I didn’t. My Mom had pneumonia twice, nearly dying. I still smoked. My brother had medical problems from smoking. I still smoked. My other brother and sister still smoke. I worked for the next 10 years, finally having enough trouble health-wise that I had to file for disability in October of 2009. The normal waiting period for that is 2-4 years. SSA did NOT fight me whatsoever, and I received benefits in 6 months following, an almost unheard of short waiting period, especially these days. Not good, and at the same time, I was thankful to be able to pay rent/bills again.

I stopped smoking today, a week before my 49th birthday. I would like to see my 50th. I tried to wait and give myself a birthday present, or stop on National Stop Smoking day. My health told me otherwise. To wait another week is just making another weak excuse.

I am not looking for ANY recognition or fame. I do this in all humility. I want to spare others the pains, stresses, and struggles that I have miraculously lived through.

My name is Chris Coahran. I live in Lafayette, IN.

Thank you for your website. No-nonsense, straightforward, to the point, and honest. I look forward to hearing from you.

p.s. I used to collect track ribbons and trophies. Now I collect used up defibs.