Smoking and Circulation

Joel

28 Feb 2003, 08:58 #21

For Alex:

Just reading or hearing the truth is no guarantee that a person is going to believe or continue to believe the truth. It's amazing what lengths people will go through to continue to smoke and what kind of losses will continue to mount--eventually resulting in the total loss of health and possibly even life all because some people will not accept the premise that to stay smoke free they must never take another puff!

Joel

See the comment above, "I DIDN'T NEED A HOUSE TO FALL ON ME TO TELL ME TO QUIT SMOKING." to illustrate that point.

Joel

28 Mar 2003, 20:56 #22

Smoking Boosts Stroke Type Linked to Brain Bleed
Thu Mar 27, 5:29 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A smoker's risk of stroke due to bleeding in the brain goes up with the number of cigarettes smoked, and those who smoke more than a pack a day have twice the risk of this type of stroke, U.S. scientists reported Thursday.

About 20 percent of all strokes are known as hemorrhagic strokes because they are caused by an uncontrolled bleeding either in or just outside the brain. Doctors have long known that smoking increases the risk of the most common type of stroke, known as ischemic stroke. Ischemic strokes are caused by a blocked blood vessel and make up 80 percent of stroke cases.

Now the new study shows that a smoker's risk of hemorrhagic stroke is on par with their risk of ischemic stroke, according to the report in Stroke: Journal of the American Heart Association.

"Our findings suggest that a person who continues to smoke can dramatically control their risk of stroke by modifying how much they smoke or by choosing to not smoke at all," said Dr. Tobias Kurth, of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, in a statement.

In the study, Kurth and colleagues looked at data from the Physicians' Health Study, a large ongoing study of more than 22,000 male doctors.

During 18 years of follow-up, 139 men had hemorrhagic strokes, either due to massive bleeding in the brain or bleeding just outside the brain.

While "never smokers" and past smokers had similar rates of hemorrhagic stroke, those men who smoked fewer than 20 cigarettes a day had 1.65 times the risk of such strokes. Those who smoked more than 20 cigarettes a day, equivalent to one pack, were twice as likely to have a hemorrhagic stroke.

"Our results add to the multiple health benefits that can be accrued by abstaining from cigarette smoking," the researchers conclude.

SOURCE: Stroke 2003;34.

Txgranny (Gold)

08 May 2003, 04:20 #23

Thanks Joel and John,

This answers a lot of my questions. I cannot believe the stress I put myself and my body through because of addiction to nicotine. After almost two years I am still learning more about health effects caused by smoking and I'm horrified that I actually paid thousands of dollars to do this to myself!!!!!!

Txgranny

nicotine free since 05/11/01

John (Gold)

08 May 2003, 04:53 #24

Me neither Txgranny. Great to see ya again and hope we're both around for many decades to come : ) My sister quit and embarked on getting healthy. I guess I should follow her lead. Still just one rule for both of us - NONE !

CanadaBobGold

17 Jun 2003, 23:55 #25

While sitting here waiting for the surgeon to phone with the date of my second femoral (leg) artery bypass operation, thought I'd throw in my own story on this subject.

It didn't happen overnight; in fact, I can probably look back more than five years and see the gradual, very gradual at first, difficulty in walking long distances. Not sure what was causing the problem, I kept on smoking and tried to ignore the problem. If you ignore it long enough, it will just go away on it's own, right? :-)

By the time I reached the end of the smoking road on New Year's eve the effects of 37+ years of abuse of my body were becoming very evident. A chronic smoker's cough, the inablity to walk even one city block, the lack of energy to perform even the smallest household tasks.

Unwilling to even consider seeking medical advice or evaluation until I'd quit smoking, the results of the first rounds of tests were encouraging, except in the circulation category. My lungs were clear, no heart trouble, moderate blood pressure and even my cholestorol levels were normal.

The surgeon I was referred to gave me three choices:

(1) do nothing (except never smoke again) and the lack of circulation in my legs wouldn't get worse
(2) exercise regularly and vigourously, including as much walking as I could handle and my endurance would increase to the point where I could walk a full city block
(3) submit to artery bypass surgery and have at least an 80% chance of a successful outcome for five years or more

At age 52, and desiring a much better quality of life than I was "enjoying", the third option was the obvious choice. The surgeon was very pleased with the outcome of the operation on the totally blocked artery in my left leg, and is ready to work on the right leg as soon as I'm ready.

I'm ready; in fact I couldn't be readier. It's time to get on with my new life without restrictions and enjoy the years (many, I hope) that I've got left.

5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours smoke-free
5507 cigarettes not smoked
$2367.67 CDN saved
2 weeks, 5 days, 2 hours of my new life saved

John (Gold)

28 Dec 2003, 23:29 #26

A Heart-Loving-Heart
by Dr. Banerjee, Cardiologist

John (Gold)

23 Jun 2004, 03:45 #27

Rare Disease Leads To
Local Man's Leg Amputation
ChannelCincinnati.com
8:33 p.m. EDT June 21, 2004 - A local man will have his leg amputated Tuesday because of a little-known disease that was born from a well-known addiction.
Nicotine in cigarettes is the only known cause of Buerger's Disease, which has caused Walter Panke's big left toe to turn black, WLWT Eyewitness News 5's Brian Hamrick reported Monday. Other toes in his left foot are dying as well.
"It started in the tip of my toe, and it's been working its way back," he said as he showed Hamrick his discolored bare foot. "I only smoked for seven years."
Now, Panke doesn't have to smoke tobacco to have a reaction. There's so much nicotine in some tobacco plants that all he has to do is touch the leaves or walk into a smoke-filled restaurant. In such instances, he could suffer a reaction so severe that he might have to have the other leg amputated, Hamrick reported.
The reaction inflames the interior of blood vessels, which causes clotting, and eventually cuts off blood flow to the extremities. And the narrowing of the vessels cannot be reversed.
"It can go all the way up your legs," said Panke's father, Dr. Thomas Panke. "It can also involve your arms. This goes far beyond legs. It can cause very serious problems, and can lead to your death."
There's no test for Buerger's Disease, and unfortunately, most are like Panke in that they only find out they're susceptible after the disease has progressed far beyond pain, Hamrick reported.
Panke's leg will be amputated just below the knee.
Copyright 2004 MSNBC.com
Thanks Nora for bringing this story to the group!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 01 Mar 2009, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

15 Jan 2005, 00:12 #28

Smoking Cessation and Mortality from Cardiovascular Disease among Japanese
Men and Women: The JACC Study.
American Journal of Epidemiology 2005 January 15;161(2):170-9.

Iso H, Date C, Yamamoto A, Toyoshima H, Watanabe Y, Kikuchi S, Koizumi A, Wada Y, Kondo T, Inaba Y, Tamakoshi A.

Department of Public Health Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba-shi, Japan.

To examine the effect of smoking cessation on cardiovascular disease mortality in Asians, the authors conducted a 10-year prospective cohort study of 94,683 Japanese (41,782 men and 52,901 women) aged 40-79 years who were part of the Japan Collaborative Cohort Study for Evaluation of Cancer Risk (JACC Study). During 941,043 person-years of follow-up between 1989-1990 and 1999, 698 deaths from stroke, 348 from coronary heart disease, and 1,555 from total cardiovascular disease occurred in men and 550, 199, and 1,155, respectively, in women.

For men, the multivariate relative risks for current smokers compared with never smokers were 1.39 (95% confidence interval (CI): 1.13, 1.70) for stroke, 2.51 (95% CI: 1.79, 3.51) for coronary heart disease, and 1.60 (95% CI: 1.39, 1.84) for total cardiovascular disease. The respective relative risks for women were 1.65 (95% CI: 1.21, 2.25), 3.35 (95% CI: 2.23, 5.02), and 2.06 (95% CI: 1.69, 2.51), with larger excess risks for persons aged 40-64 years than for older persons.

The risk decline after smoking cessation occurred for coronary heart disease and total cardiovascular disease within 2 years and for total stroke after 2-4 years. For each endpoint and in both age subgroups of 40-64 and 65-79 years, most of the benefit of cessation occurred after 10-14 years following cessation. Findings imply the importance of smoking cessation at any age to prevent cardiovascular disease in Japanese.

PMID: 15632267 [PubMed - in process]

divegal808

26 Feb 2005, 03:42 #29

i can drop in so rarely now but i always quickly spot something special i want to contribute. for those who weren't around for my story, i was by all other appearances a "healthy" smoker (with my 1/2 pack of "no additive" cigarettes, almost no coughing, could swim a mile at a time, etc.) BUT i was always colder than most people. my hands and feet were especially cold.

three months after i quit my body temperature became average, and most noticeably my hands and feet are normal.

though my lungs MAY have been okay, i have no doubt that quitting literally saved my circulatory system and therefore many years of healthy life.

everyone reading this -- have no doubt, nicotine kills. and there's only one solution -- NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF.

aloha,

amber - approx. 9.3 months

joyousAnaisfree

20 Jul 2005, 07:32 #30

I have to chime in here and add my two cents. For years, my hands and feet were cold to the touch. This progressed to my entire body. My entire body would go ice cold. I was "healthy" in all other respects. I did not know enough to make the connection between this and smoking. Since I've quit smoking, I no longer have this problem. My body temperature is normal to the touch and I am never unusually cold any more.

My husband is quite pleased. ;>

Ana - free from nicotine slavery for 124 days, while adding 8 Days and 15 Hours to my life , by avoiding the use of 2490 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $375.49 better spent on nice things for myself and those I love.