Smoking and Circulation

Toast (GOLD )

28 Apr 2002, 09:57 #11

Dear Joel,

You're right - this one's pretty scary too! But it also has one of my favorite stories of yours - the "I DIDN'T NEED A HOUSE TO FALL ON ME TO TELL ME TO QUIT SMOKING" story. Amazing!

Image Melissa

11 Months 4 Days 22 Hours 58 Minutes 28 Seconds Free
6799 Less
$985.88 More
1 Mo 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 11 Mins 27 Secs Added

John (Gold)

03 Jun 2002, 04:27 #12

What Has Smoking Done to Your Arteries?

Joel

03 Jun 2002, 23:38 #13

Image For Marebear:

Figured you might as well scare the next crave right out of you too--even before you get it.

Joel

Joel

15 Jul 2002, 18:40 #14

There are a number of physical, emotional and social adjustments that people go through when quitting smoking that can make life seem quite awkward when people are in the early stages of a quit. But consider the alternative--continuing to smoke and and giving cigarettes the opportunity to follow the natural course of slowly destroying you and literally risking your life and limbs. To continue on the road to physical and psycholgical health as opposed to the course you were on of total self-destruction always remember why you have committed to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

15 Aug 2002, 21:26 #15

Last edited by John (Gold) on 13 Jun 2010, 19:11, edited 2 times in total.

John (Gold)

29 Aug 2002, 09:15 #16

Clearly this isn't our foot but it really someday could be!
This is Buerger's Disease is a condition where there is a complete
cutoff of circulation to the finger or toes, resulting in gangrene.
The ironic thing is that smokers think of smoking's harms in terms
of their lungs when in fact more of us die from smoking related
circulatory disease than from lung cancer. How's your circulation?

John (Gold)

24 Sep 2002, 19:46 #17

New Study (Abstract) [/size]
Smoking and plasma homocysteine
European Heart Journal
Volume 23, Issue 20, 15 October 2002, Pages 1580-1586
P. O'Callaghan, R. Meleady, T. Fitzgerald, I. Graham and European COMAC group

The Adelaide and Meath Hospital Dublin, incorporating the National Childrens Hospital and Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland

Revised 21 January 2002; accepted 23 January 2002. Available online 19 September 2002.

Abstract Background Smoking is known to be associated with an increased plasma homocysteine level. Both are associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. B-vitamins modulate plasma homocysteine levels.

Aims To investigate the relationships between smoking, plasma homocysteine, nutrient levels and risk of cardiovascular disease.

Methods The European Concerted Action Project case control study of 750 cases and 800 age- and sex-matched controls aged less than 60 years from 19 centres in 10 European countries.

Results Smokers were at increased risk of vascular disease. This risk was greatly increased in the presence of a raised plasma homocysteine; cigarette smokers with a plasma homocysteine above 12 Imagemol . l-1 had a 12-fold increased risk of cardiovascular disease (OR 12·4 95% CI 7·3 to 21·2) compared with non-smokers with a normal plasma homocysteine. In both cases and controls the current smokers had a higher plasma homocysteine level than the never smokers (11·7 Imagemol . l-1 vs 10·07 Imagemol . l-1, P<0·05 cases; 9·90 Imagemol . l-1 vs 9·53 Imagemol . l-1P value non significant controls). Current smokers tended to have lower levels of folate, and vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 than never smokers. The risk of cardiovascular disease associated with smoking was not significantly altered by adjustment for levels of B-vitamins using a conditional regression model (OR for current smoker >20 . day-1 8·19, after adjustment for B6, B12, folate OR 7·09).

Conclusions This case control study suggests that smokers with high plasma homocysteine are at greatly increased risk of cardiovascular disease and should therefore be offered intensive advice to help them cease smoking. They also have reduced levels of those B-vitamins (folate, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12) that modulate homocysteine metabolism. While this finding may reflect a direct effect of smoking or reduced B-vitamin intake, supplementation of these nutrients may be appropriate in smokers with high homocysteine levels.

Author Keywords: Homocysteine, smoking, vitamins, cardiovascular disease
Copyright © 2002 The European Society of Cardiology. Published by Elsevier Science Ltd.

Joel

24 Sep 2002, 20:18 #18

Just to make sure that everyone reading the above story really comprehends the message of the above article--it is that smokers need to quit smoking. An active addict can often read an article like this and think that now they have found out why smokers have more heart disease, and now they can simply take a pill and offset the dangers. The article "A Safer Way to Smoke?" addresses this issue head on. The cardiovascular effects of nicotine and carbon monoxide are firmly understood and known established risk factors. The only way to get these two substances down to non-smokers levels and to keep them down is to never take another puff!

Joel

ALONETEARDROP

19 Nov 2002, 09:42 #19

I turned bronze today...i now go days without thinking of a smoke. How have i done it? one day at a time, utilizing the tools i discovered on this web site, posting instead of picking up. Im having surgery in a little over 3 weeks. Why? One of the arteries in my rt leg is completely obstructed. Now i wonder how that happened??? Duh??? I wanted to quit long before i did. When i found out i needed surgery, i just couldnt rationalize smoking anymore. I am freeeeeeeee!

Joel

14 Feb 2003, 20:58 #20

I thought in honor of valentines day I would highlight the importance of giving yourself the gift of a healthy heart. As this string clearly shows, the assault that smoking takes on your heart and circulatory system is powerful and life threatening. More people die from heart and circulation conditions caused by smoking than from any other diseases caused by smoking including cancer. This is an often overlooked fact by many people. The way to keep a healthier heart that permits you to really share your life with all of your loved ones is to always stick to your commitment to yourself to never take another puff!

Joel