Sisters

Sisters

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 20:36 #1

Title: Freedom
Sent: 3/22/2002 10:49 PM

Hi fellow quitters:

I just thought I'd post a message to let you know how supportive this website has been for me. My sister (age 44) was diagnosed with lung cancer on March 7th. She was going in the hospital for a hysterectomy and had a chest x-ray done for her pre-op. That is how they found the cancer. Luckily, (if you can believe its lucky) the cancer was found at an early stage and has not spread from her lung. She does, however, have to have her left lung entirely removed. Fortunately, (again if you can believe this is fortunate), she will be short one lung, but will have her life.

When she told me, I of course was both shocked and devastated because as you know, these horrible things always happen to someone else. It has frightened the daylights out of me and I had no problem quitting cold turkey on March 7th when I got that news.

I was also leaving for vacation to Florida on March 7th and I had my carton of cigarettes packed in my suitcase. I gave them away (to someone I actually like?) and have had no regrets. Day 3 and 4 were the hardest, but I just chewed on a straw until my jaw ached. I still get the urge, but all I have to do is come to this site and get reinforcement. It really helps. I know I have a long way to go, but this site has really helped me to admit that I am a nicotine addict and I CAN NEVER AND WILL NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF. It isn't worth it.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Kelly
Last edited by FreedomNicotine on 12 Feb 2009, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 20:39 #2

Title: Still Scared
Sent: 3/25/2002 6:37 PM

Just a post for myself so I will remember how scared I am.

I went to the doctor today and had a chest x-ray. Also had a lot of other tests done to see what damage I have done to myself. I go back to the doctor next Monday for the results, but deep in my heart I know that my tests will come back normal and that my sister will be okay.

Isn't amazing how you can smoke your face off for years and not even think about what you are doing to yourself and then live in fear after quitting.

I don't ever want to be this scared again, so I will NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF.

Kelly

Nic Free - 2 weeks, 3 days, 21 hours, 37 minutes, 9 seconds
Last edited by FreedomNicotine on 12 Feb 2009, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 20:46 #3

Title: Turned Green Today, this is my first post
Sent: 4/7/2002 11:03 PM

Hi all, I have been lurking in here for a month now and since I turned green today I thought its about time I made a posting. I was told I had lung cancer on March 7, 2002 and quit cold turkey on that day. I am a 44 year old female. My sister Headbo who is also a member here and has posted before, quit cold turkey with me on that day. What a shocker to find this out. I still don't know if it has really sunk in yet. I am having my left lung removed on April 17. I don't blame this cancer entirely on smoking. I was raised in a city with alot of industrial plants around with all kinds of smoke stacks and with no pollution controls back then. I was not a heavy smoker, but I did smoke for 30 years. Quitting was not hard after hearing that news. My house is now smoke free. My husband washed all the walls and ceilings in preparation for the clean air environment I'm going to need when I come home from the hospital. I'm really going to have to watch what I breath having one lung. Well thanks for listening all and wish me luck for this surgery.

Kim

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 20:47 #4

Sent: 4/7/2002 9:16 PM

Dear Quit Friends:

The bus finally came! There were a few anxious moments waiting at the bus stop, but I am very proud to get on board.

I know the ride to the next stop might be a little bumpy, but it will be much better than waiting at the bus stop. Next stop, I am hopping in the bronze limo. It looks like it may be too crowded by the time I get there, so I just may lease a new one -- why not -- after all I do have a new lease on life!

Feeling a little giddy right now!

Your Quit Friend,

Kelly

I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 12 Minutes 14 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 620. Money saved: C$170.55.

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 20:49 #5

Title: I'm curious
Sent: 4/10/2002 8:41 PM

Is Joel an ex-smoker?

Kim

Title: I'm curious
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion
Sent: 4/11/2002 6:32 PM Thanks Joel for dedicating your life to us.........I really appreciate this site.

I heard about a quit smoking class some time ago and the teacher was a non-smoker. I wondered how on earth could a non-smoker possibly know what us smokers will be going through. I guess it was another Joel in disquise. Again thank-you for your commitment to us.

I also wonder how can you possibly keep up answering all these message boards.......lol.

Kim

Not a puff for 5 weeks, 5 1/2 hours

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 20:50 #6

Title: "Turned Green Today, this is my first post"
Sent: 4/12/2002 8:27 PM

I just read the courtesies, and I apologise to everyone for not replying back. I'm still new here and will finally clue into all the rules.........lol. Thank-you all for your support this is an excellent site. I sit here and read alot of posts.

My surgery is coming up fast and I'm getting very nervous. Wednesday is not far away. My power of attorney is finished and I've advised my husband of my wishes if anything should go wrong............but I'm going to be fine! and I'm going to be cancer free!...............and the best thing of all is...........I don't smoke anymore and I will never take another puff! I can't do to my right lung what I did to my left one...........

Goodbye left lung and goodbye cancer!!!!!

Kim

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 20:52 #7

Title: I'm Upset - Surgery Postponed
Sent: 4/16/2002 6:54 PM

I couldn't believe the parade of people who came into my work today to wish me well on my surgery tomorrow. Finally at 1:45 I broke down crying, overwhelmed by all the support, hugs and well wishes. I had myself so prepared for tommorrow. Then I get a phone call at 4 pm saying my surgery is canceled until next Tuesday because there are no beds in ICU. Needless to say I'm upset.
For the ones who are wondering what I'm talking about........I was to have my left lung removed tomorrow, due to cancer. I found out on March 7 after having a pre-op X-ray for another matter. Well I guess I'll cheer up now and look at it this way........It gives my right lung another week of healing and being smoke free.

Kim

another nicotine addict who has chosen not to smoke for 1M1W1D

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 20:53 #8

Sent: 4/16/2002 8:56 PM

I can only imagine how disappointed you are. I know how disappointed I am after taking weeks of psyching myself that everything will be all right. Deep down in my heart, I know it will be.

Just think that in only one more week, the surgery will be done, you will be cancer free and we have the rest of our lives to be smoke free and put this nightmare behind us.

Hugs from your sister,
Headbo

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 20:54 #9

Message 12 of 13 in Discussion
Sent: 4/17/2002 5:53 PM

I want to thank you all for your kind words, thoughts, prayers, hugs etc. I'm ok now, it was just a big let down after getting all geared up for it. To my sister Kelly, thanks for always being there. My friend Sharon has always said......Things happen for a reason, and I truly believe that.......someone needed that bed alot more than I did.
Tuesday is not far away, look how fast 1M,1W,2 D went and tomorrow is Thursday already! Thanks for all your support everyone.

Kim
xoxo

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 20:56 #10

Title: Prayers Requested
Sent: 4/22/2002 9:53 PM

Hi all --

I'm crying my eyes out as I post this message. Just got a phone call that my sister's surgery has been moved up. It will take place tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. EST rather than 10:00 a.m. That means she has to be at hospital at 5:00 a.m. I thought I was so prepared for this. I've known since March 7th that this was going to happen, but reality just knocked really hard once again.

I'm not really sure why I am crying. I do believe the surgery will be successful and things will turn out good, but it is just upsetting. I can't even imagine how she is feeling.

I just ask for your prayers that she will have a speedy recovery and that life will return to normal very soon. Life was so normal not that long ago and it is amazing how quickly things can change.

To all you fellow quitters, be proud of your quit and keep it. You've done the right thing and I'll pray for each of you that you never have to go through this.

Kelly

I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 2 Weeks 1 Day 52 Minutes 23 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 920. Money saved: C$253.20.