Sisters

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 21:58 #41

Title: TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?
Message 28 of 41 in Discussion

Operation Update:

I just got home from the hospital. Kim will probably be getting out tomorrow.

The doctors in London said there is only one tumour and that they can remove it. They don't know if she will need radiation or not and the neurosurgeon will decide at the time of her surgery. She has to take anti-swelling and anti-seizure medication for 2 weeks and then they will operate sometime early January. Thanks again for everyone's overwhelming support, it really does help.

And remember to never take another puff. It really isn't worth it.

Kelly

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 22:00 #42

Title: TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?
Message 34 of 41 in Discussion
Sent: 12/23/2002 11:19 AM

Hello my wonderful Freedom family,

I was released from the hospital yesterday, the anti seizure drugs are making me feel like a real space cadet. I went for a blood test this morning to make sure the medication levels are within range, I'm just waiting to hear the results.

I will be seeing a neo-surgeron in the new year and the prognosis sounds good. According to the MRI results the tumour is confined to one spot on the right side of the brain and sounds like it can be removed easily.

I want to thank you all for you prayers and well wishes, believe me they really help at this sad time. I want everyone to have a great holiday and I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Kim.........9 Months plus and forever committed to "Never take another Puff"

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 22:01 #43

Title: Surgery is Booked for Monday Morning
Sent: 1/9/2003 8:44 PM

I saw the neurosurgeon today and he has booked the brain tumour removal for Monday morning at 11 am. The tumour is 2 cm in size and is just under the skin on the right side of the brain. I will be sedated but awake during the procedure as they need to monitor my motor skills as they are removing it. He said there is no guarantee that they can get it all but they will keep removing as long as all my functions keep working.

There will be radiation sometime afterwards. It needs time to heal first and to let the swelling go down as radiation causes swelling also.

Kelly will keep you all up to date.

Kim...................10 months +..... and wishing I was going through withdrawal instead of this!

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 22:02 #44

Message 3 of 112 in Discussion

I reckon this will be my posting on Tuesday:

Kim tolerated her surgery very well. She is up and talking and they are letting her out of the hospital on today.

They got the whole tumour out with no problem to her motor skills. They are going to give her radiation for insurance purposes, but the doctors have given her a clean bill of health.

Kelly
10 months + and hoping people get the message that smoking just isn't worth it

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 22:04 #45

Message 58 of 112 in Discussion
Gold Sent: 1/12/2003 8:08 PM

"WOW!"
My Freedom family is wonderful! I feel all that positive energy coming my way and it feels great!

I want all of you to know that I am not afraid of tomorrow, I feel confident I am in great hands and everything is going to go well.

The surgery is scheduled for noon Canadian EST, so send all you vibes then..........thanks and I love you all!

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 22:06 #46

Kim and sister Kelly after surgery on January 14, 2003[/size]

Message 71 of 112 in Discussion
Sent: 1/15/2003 6:03 PM

Dear Freedom Friends:

Sorry to take so long with the update, but as you all know, no news is good news.

I am so happy to report that they got the entire tumour out without any effect at all to her motor skills. A CT scan after her operation came back clear and once again, she is cancer free. They are going to arrange radiation in a couple of weeks.

Once again, all of your prayers and positive energy have helped win another battle and thank you seems so inadequate.

We are at my parent's house right now and Kim is having a nap, but she will be online later.

Thanks again all,
Kelly
10 months +

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 22:07 #47

Kim recovering, about a week after surgery[/size]

Message 104 of 112 in Discussion
Gold Sent: 1/16/2003 1:11 PM

Hello All!

I am at my Mom and Dad's again, they look after me after surgery cause no one is at home at my house during the day. My Mom is a retired nurse which is an added bonus.

As you all know the surgery went well and I was awake during the 2 hr 20 min procedure. They gave me a squeeky toy in my left hand and made me squeek it every time they asked so they knew my left side was still working. It was quite the weird feeling when they sawed my skull open. The only thing that hurt was when they put the freezing in my head and when they stapled it up after. Apparantly your brain has no feeling. The side of my head is shaved with a small circle of staples. I'll need to get a hat soon...............lol. My husband took pictures, so I'll get them scanned and sent to John to update my webpage. One is of Kelly and I in my hospital bed, hope it turns out.
I want to thank everybody for you hugs, prayers and all that positive energy sent my way, I could really feel it and I know it helped in making the surgery successful.

I will be getting radiation in a couple of weeks as a precaution cause there is a chance that smaller than microscopic cells could still be there.

Thank-you all and I have no gifs here

Kim
Last edited by FreedomNicotine on 10 Feb 2009, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 22:09 #48

Message 106 of 112 in Discussion
Sent: 1/16/2003 1:32 PM

Dear Freedom Friends:

We forgot to mention a very important comment the doctor made when we were leaving the hospital, which was:

"Don't take up smoking again."

We assured him that we were both far too educated to ever do that.

Kelly
10 months +

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 22:11 #49

Title: One Year Ago, I Started 2 Journeys.....
Sent: 3/7/2003 10:33 AM

March 7, 2002 is the day I started two journeys, a day I will never forget.

Journey #1 - Quitting smoking............ I knew my smoking days were over. There was no choice in the matter, nicodemon had already started his death wish. My sister found Whyquit, we educated ourselves and now there is no looking back. I would have done anything for nicotine, but not anymore. I do feel so much better, no more coughing up phlgem or going into coughing fits when I laughed. When I would walk outside in winter and breathe in that first cold breath, it was an instant coughing fit too. The days at first seemed so long, but then I turned green, then silver and now GOLD......One whole year! I am so happy to be nicotine free.

Journey #2 - March 7 was also the beginning of my battle with cancer. I was a person who believed that it would never happen to me, it only happens to other people. Being told I had lung cancer was not only a total shock to me but for my family as well. How could I possibly continue to smoke? The thought of "Oh well why quit now I already have cancer" never crossed my mind. Smoking was definately not an option for me anymore, it was starting to kill me. My health was too important now, I couldn't keep doing this to myself.

As most of you know, I had my lung removed April 23, 2002. I recovered quickly from that surgery and was feeling great. My 6 month checkup came back clean. Then on December 18, 2002 I suffered a seizure, was rushed to hospital and a brain tumor was discovered.

I saw the neurosurgeon on January 9, 2003. He made me do all these coordination tests to make sure the seizure had not affected my motor skills. He then asked me if I had a cough, I told him I used to but not since I quit smoking. After his examination he said I was a good candidate for the surgery. I didn't realize there were good and bad candidates. On the morning of the surgery (January 13), he asked me again if I had coughed. I finally figured out why he was asking. He couldn't risk me coughing and moving during the delicate surgery he was going to perform. So I have to wonder....if I hadn't quit smoking and still had that smoker's cough would he have said "sorry I can't do the surgery on you, you are too much of a risk." A scary thought! He said he removed all of the tumor but I still had to endure two weeks of radiation. Thanks to the radiation, I have no hair and I had a bad burn on my forehead, eyelids and parts of my head, it's now peeling.

So newbies and lurkers I have to say withdrawal is nothing compared to what I have been through this year and who knows what the future will bring. Anybody can quit as long as they can accept the fact they are nicotine addicts and educate themselves. Believe me when I, and the others say it gets easier, because it really does. I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I had a crave.

I want to thank John for asking me to put my story on this site, I know it has helped many. I continue to share it in hopes that it will reinforce all of your quits and inspire others to take control of their lives by "NEVER TAKING ANOTHER PUFF"...........Now let the Party Begin!!!!!

MSN will not let me post any gifs : ( ..................Kim.....Golden!!!!

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 22:13 #50

Title: One Year Ago, I Started 2 Journeys.....
Message 12 of 64 in Discussion

Congratulations on GOLD sis. I'm right there with ya, but it's not official til 9:00 p.m.

Kelly

NOT A PUFF FOR 11 Months 3 Weeks 6 Days 16 Hours 44 Minutes 51 Seconds AND NEVER GOING BACK.

Cigarettes not smoked: 7293. Money saved: C$2,005.84.