Sisters

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 21:48 #31

Title: STERLING SILVER !!!!!
Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

A toast to you and a toast to me. Congratulations on six months.

Cheers!

Kelly

NOT A PUFF for 6 months and NEVER GOING BACK.

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 21:49 #32

Title: STERLING SILVER !!!!!
Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

Thank-you all for your Congratulations on this Silver Milestone! Your words of care and concern are greatly appreciated. I know I have inspired many of you and so sharing my story with you all has made it worthwhile.

A lady came in my store yesterday and told me her father just found out he had unoperable lung cancer and another 41 year old just died of cancer. I am so very lucky!

So all you Lurkers out there, nobody is free from the consequences of smoking, it takes its toll on all of us. Now is the time to quit and we are the people to help you!!!

Kim...............6 Months Free and Healing!

"Don't pay big $$$ to slowly kill yourself !"

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 21:50 #33

Title: TOTALLY GROSSED OUT
Sent: 10/26/2002 8:36 PM

Dear Freedom

I remember seeing business cards not too long ago and I wish I knew where they are now because I sure could have used one tonight.

I went out for supper. One half of the place is a bar and the other half is a restaurant and we sat in the restaurant side. The only people in the restaurant were us and another table. Unfortunately, King Phlegm was sitting at the other table. Within one half hour between three cigarettes, he hacked, coughed, blew his nose, gagged and gurgled phlegm and repeated the whole process over and over, until I was so grossed out I couldn't eat my dinner. I complained to the waitress and asked why on earth they would designate 1 table in the restaurant side as the smoking area when they have a bar where people can smoke. The answer I received was, it's the by-law. They have to designate a smoking area in the restaurant because youth aren't allowed in the bar.

In these circumstances I would have loved to hand this guy a business card to visit whyquit, so he could do himself a favour and everyone else who has ever had to listen to him.

It was totally disgusting. Can I hand out business cards? and if so, where's the link?

Any other suggestions on how to handle that type of situation other than leaving?

Kelly
7 months +

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 21:51 #34

Message 5 of 10 in Discussion
Sent: 10/27/2002 12:14 PM

My husband and I were with Kelly last evening at the restaurant. This guy sat down and let out a cough and I said to Kelly, he smokes. I can tell a smoker's cough anytime. Then he lights up a smoke and he starts, just like Kelly describes above..... it was GROSS! Take a puff, cough, cough, cough, take a puff etc. I really wished we had business cards cause I definately would have given him one.

I checked out the ones that Nora gave, but they are not compatible with my computer (those had 8 per page, mine prints 10). So I made my own.....

Front Back

They look really good printed out on Business Card paper! Think they will get the message across?

Kim.............7 Months + Free

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 21:51 #35

Sent: 10/27/2002 1:33 PM

Kim -

Your cards look good to me. Please print me a few.

I don't care if anyone takes offence to me giving them one. Nothing was as offensive than what we had to listen to while eating dinner.

It really is amazing how nicotine addition makes you keep smoking when your body is screaming at you to stop. I should probably feel sorry for him, but he could have left the room and gone to the washroom or something or he could have at least quit lighting up. I'm sure he knew we were grossed out.

Thanks for the links Nora and Bob.

Kelly
7 months +

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 21:52 #36

Message 9 of 10 in Discussion
Sent: 10/28/2002 8:52 PM

John -

Kim printed me a few cards and I must say I was impressed at how good they look. I haven't given any out yet, but I won't be embarrassed to do so. I think I need to vary mine a bit because the back says "this is me . . . " etc. and, of course, it isn't me, but we are working on a variation for me.

I remember being in a restaurant (with Kim actually) a few years back and some guy came up to us and told us about the horrors of smoking. He said he'd rather see us smoking marijuana -- at least it was natural. It didn't have much of an impact on me then, but I don't recall thinking he was an idiot or anything.

I think giving them out is a good idea or just leaving them at tables somewhere. I tell alot of people about this website and how great it is. If I had a card, at least they could come here at their leisure and not wonder "what was the address of that website she told me about".

Kelly
7 1/2 months +

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 21:53 #37

Title: The "I never want to forget how much Freedom helped me" Parade!
Message 28 of 36 in Discussion
From: kito40 (Kim) in response to Message 1 Sent: 12/16/2002 9:42 PM

Freedom!

I wish I had been this educated years ago! If I had known that I was a nicotine addict and it wasn't just a nasty little habit I had, I wouldn't have lost my past quits. Knowing that I'm an addict and that one puff means full blown relapse makes all the sense in the world. Thank-you Freedom for your education. Thank-you to all you wonderful people here fighting the same addiction and supporting each other. Thank-you managers for all you commitment to this site!

9 Months +

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 21:54 #38

Sent in response to Message 6 Sent: 12/17/2002 4:53 PM
[Note: below Kim responds to a quitter battling irritability]

Hang in there Chook.............I know this is hard to accept when you are feeling this way, but believe us when we say "IT GETS BETTER" cause it does. It really does!!!

P.S.......you are normal and you look wonderful in Green and you will look even more fabulous in Bronze! just hang in there!

9 Months +

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 21:56 #39

Title: TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?

I'm sure everyone has heard the saying: "If it's too good to be true, then it probably is."

I hate to say it, but Kim was rushed to the hospital at about 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday night, (the day after her 45th birthday) as she had suffered a seizure at home. Tony (her husband) found her on the floor and she was blue. He gave her mouth to mouth and called 911 and the ambulance rushed her to to the hospital. They gave her a CT scan at 11:00 p.m. and at 12:30 a.m. our worst fears were confirmed. She has a tumour on her brain. She had an MRI this morning at 8:30 a.m. and the results and all her history has been sent to London (which is the best health care facility in or area). We are waiting to hear back to see if it is operable and what the best way to treat it is.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought I should let you know. After all, you are all family too. I must admit everyone is very upset, but it isn't going to ruin our Christmas. We are not going to let that happen and as you know, Kim is a fighter and she will beat this one too.

By the way, Kim is still in the hospital and is hoping to get out soon, but she said it would be okay to post the bad news.

Just when you think you are really home free, another nightmare begins.

Kelly

NOT A PUFF FOR 9 Months 1 Week 6 Days 2 Hours 17 Minutes 44 Seconds AND NEVER GOING BACK.
Cigarettes not smoked: 5761. Money saved: C$1,584.53.

FreedomNicotine

10 Feb 2009, 21:57 #40

Title: TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?
Message 22 of 41 in Discussion

Your warm wishes and prayers are accepted with wide, open arms. They worked for us the last time and they will work again this time.

Joel, when I said "Too good to be true", I meant that she could have her lung removed with no further treatment like chemo or radiation and that would be the end of our cancer experience. I know people do survive cancer and in fact I do know a few who have and now I am going to know one more. I believe a positive attiude is half the battle so we're already half way to beating it. I guess we were just confident that she had beat it and that it was over and done with.

Newbies or anyone else missing their cigarettes, quitting smoking is a piece of cake compared to what you might have to deal with later. You may think quitting is unbearable, but withdrawal does go away and you eventually come to a point where you don't even think about smoking. I wish I was dealing with the early days of a quit instead of this and I know Kim is too.

Don't think for one minute that Kim or myself feel like smoking. That is the last thing on our minds. We both know that it won't solve our situation and it will only make things worse. In fact, we just shake our heads when we see people smoking wishing they would educate themselves. After all, education is the key to success and this site gets all credit for that.

John, sometime down the road, the web page will have to be revised. Maybe a long P.S. can be added or maybe a Part I and Part II. In any event, the title WILL NOT CHANGE.

I wish everyone a healthy, happy and peaceful holiday.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again,

Kelly