Sisters

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:34 pm #26

Title: "Fortunate To Be Alive To Tell About It!
Message 35 of 50 in Discussion
Sent: 7/11/2002 9:04 PM

There are a couple of things that have come up in this thread that I would like to touch on:

1. Lexi, you mentioned a dull pain in your upper shoulder. Please go and get an X-ray. Both my friend and I had that same pain before we were diagnosed with lung cancer.

2. txsmama, you say your mother has a small spot on her lung. Another friend of mine's mother had a small spot show up on her lung. They monitered it for over a year before it started to grow. They ended up removing part of her lung. She is now cancer free.

Boy, alot of cancer around me eh?

3. And David, thank-you............ beautiful? :) you made my day!

4. And I'll say it again!!!! For all you Lurkers..........."NOW IS THE TIME"

Thanks for all your replies!!!

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:35 pm #27

Title: "Fortunate To Be Alive To Tell About It!
Message 42 of 50 in Discussion
Sent: 8/29/2002 11:23 AM

Thanks for thinking about me Linda. I am still around and still smoke-free.........6 months to be exact on September 7th.
It is summer and I've been taking in the good weather while I can. The winters up here in Canada are long and cold. I'll be back posting regularily in about a month.

See you all then,

Kim

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:41 pm #28

Title: 5 Months Today!!!!
Sent: 8/7/2002 10:47 AM

I know I haven't been here much lately. First off my computer modem went and I didn't have it for a week and I have been spending time at a cottage my sister and friends rented. Also summer time there is so much to do.....................I do come and read some even though I don't post. So congratulations all you colour changers and newbies you are all doing great. I do reply to all my e-mails I receive via my web page.

Anyways, today marks the 5 month anniversary that I was told I had lung cancer and it has also been 5 months since I put a cigarette to my mouth. The time has just flown by, its hard to believe its been that long.

My recovery from surgery has been great. There is one tiny spot left on the incision line and that will be gone shortly. I took my last heart pill yesterday and everything seems fine. Everyone says how good I look and they would never know what I have been through. I put on my jeans last night (my big pair) and boy they are tight.......lol

What I'm really proud of is, that I have not smoked for 5 months and I rarely think about it anymore. I even went to an outdoor concert and drank quite a bit and the next day I thought, "I never even thought about a smoke last night", which proves the fact that it really does get easier!
It won't be long until silver arrives now and I will be there with my pass to board the liner.........

5 Months today!
"Fortunate To Be Alive To Tell About It!" ..............my webpage

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:45 pm #29

Title: 5 Months Today!!!!
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion
Sent: 8/7/2002 6:40 PM

A toast to you and a toast to me! Congratulations on 5 months sis.

Mom said to me last Sunday that she had to give us credit and it sure made me feel good. I guess there IS a bright side to everything. Smoke free and never going back,

Kelly

5 months today

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:47 pm #30

Title: STERLING SILVER !!!!!
Sent: 9/6/2002 7:06 PM

It's hard to believe that 6 months has past since my life changed forever. It changed not only because I quit smoking but because I was diagnosed with lung cancer. (For those of you who don't know of me or my history please visit my webpage ->"Fortunate To Be Alive To Tell About It!" )

Because of this crisis happening to me, it has inspired others to give up their nicotine addiction. My sister Kelly quit the same day I did and her husband soon followed. I said to my husband not long ago "My 6 month Anniversary would be a good day for you to quit too." I'll just wait and see what happens.

A couple I hardly know came into my place of business just to see how I was doing after surgery. She told me her quit was going well but her husband was having some difficult times with his. I asked them when they had quit smoking and they said "the day of your surgery." I was quite touched by that.

I receive a fair amount of e-mail from my webpage and from what I'm told it has inspired many or has helped them from relapsing. Good to hear that!!
As for my health, I'm certainly not up to par yet, actually I'm far from it. I had to cancel my annual canoe trip this year because there was no way I could have paddled for 2 days.

I go for my 6 month cat scan next week and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm still cancer free. I'll never forget my mother saying how lucky I am and how she couldn't imagine what life would be like without me. Scary thought!!
Last but not least "FREEDOM"......it's the education and support that makes this site what it is today. I wish I had been this educated years ago. (Silly how we think its just a nasty little habit) Oh and don't let me forget the great people here too!!!

Ok, I have rambled enough........Let the party begin!!!!!

Kim

6 Months Free

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:48 pm #31

Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

A toast to you and a toast to me. Congratulations on six months.

Cheers!

Kelly

NOT A PUFF for 6 months and NEVER GOING BACK.

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:49 pm #32

Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

Thank-you all for your Congratulations on this Silver Milestone! Your words of care and concern are greatly appreciated. I know I have inspired many of you and so sharing my story with you all has made it worthwhile.

A lady came in my store yesterday and told me her father just found out he had unoperable lung cancer and another 41 year old just died of cancer. I am so very lucky!

So all you Lurkers out there, nobody is free from the consequences of smoking, it takes its toll on all of us. Now is the time to quit and we are the people to help you!!!

Kim...............6 Months Free and Healing!

"Don't pay big $$$ to slowly kill yourself !"

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:50 pm #33

Title: TOTALLY GROSSED OUT
Sent: 10/26/2002 8:36 PM

Dear Freedom

I remember seeing business cards not too long ago and I wish I knew where they are now because I sure could have used one tonight.

I went out for supper. One half of the place is a bar and the other half is a restaurant and we sat in the restaurant side. The only people in the restaurant were us and another table. Unfortunately, King Phlegm was sitting at the other table. Within one half hour between three cigarettes, he hacked, coughed, blew his nose, gagged and gurgled phlegm and repeated the whole process over and over, until I was so grossed out I couldn't eat my dinner. I complained to the waitress and asked why on earth they would designate 1 table in the restaurant side as the smoking area when they have a bar where people can smoke. The answer I received was, it's the by-law. They have to designate a smoking area in the restaurant because youth aren't allowed in the bar.

In these circumstances I would have loved to hand this guy a business card to visit whyquit, so he could do himself a favour and everyone else who has ever had to listen to him.

It was totally disgusting. Can I hand out business cards? and if so, where's the link?

Any other suggestions on how to handle that type of situation other than leaving?

Kelly
7 months +

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:51 pm #34

Message 5 of 10 in Discussion
Sent: 10/27/2002 12:14 PM

My husband and I were with Kelly last evening at the restaurant. This guy sat down and let out a cough and I said to Kelly, he smokes. I can tell a smoker's cough anytime. Then he lights up a smoke and he starts, just like Kelly describes above..... it was GROSS! Take a puff, cough, cough, cough, take a puff etc. I really wished we had business cards cause I definately would have given him one.

I checked out the ones that Nora gave, but they are not compatible with my computer (those had 8 per page, mine prints 10). So I made my own.....

Front Back

They look really good printed out on Business Card paper! Think they will get the message across?

Kim.............7 Months + Free

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:51 pm #35

Sent: 10/27/2002 1:33 PM

Kim -

Your cards look good to me. Please print me a few.

I don't care if anyone takes offence to me giving them one. Nothing was as offensive than what we had to listen to while eating dinner.

It really is amazing how nicotine addition makes you keep smoking when your body is screaming at you to stop. I should probably feel sorry for him, but he could have left the room and gone to the washroom or something or he could have at least quit lighting up. I'm sure he knew we were grossed out.

Thanks for the links Nora and Bob.

Kelly
7 months +

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:52 pm #36

Message 9 of 10 in Discussion
Sent: 10/28/2002 8:52 PM

John -

Kim printed me a few cards and I must say I was impressed at how good they look. I haven't given any out yet, but I won't be embarrassed to do so. I think I need to vary mine a bit because the back says "this is me . . . " etc. and, of course, it isn't me, but we are working on a variation for me.

I remember being in a restaurant (with Kim actually) a few years back and some guy came up to us and told us about the horrors of smoking. He said he'd rather see us smoking marijuana -- at least it was natural. It didn't have much of an impact on me then, but I don't recall thinking he was an idiot or anything.

I think giving them out is a good idea or just leaving them at tables somewhere. I tell alot of people about this website and how great it is. If I had a card, at least they could come here at their leisure and not wonder "what was the address of that website she told me about".

Kelly
7 1/2 months +

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:53 pm #37

Title: The "I never want to forget how much Freedom helped me" Parade!
Message 28 of 36 in Discussion
From: kito40 (Kim) in response to Message 1 Sent: 12/16/2002 9:42 PM

Freedom!

I wish I had been this educated years ago! If I had known that I was a nicotine addict and it wasn't just a nasty little habit I had, I wouldn't have lost my past quits. Knowing that I'm an addict and that one puff means full blown relapse makes all the sense in the world. Thank-you Freedom for your education. Thank-you to all you wonderful people here fighting the same addiction and supporting each other. Thank-you managers for all you commitment to this site!

9 Months +

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:54 pm #38

Sent in response to Message 6 Sent: 12/17/2002 4:53 PM
[Note: below Kim responds to a quitter battling irritability]

Hang in there Chook.............I know this is hard to accept when you are feeling this way, but believe us when we say "IT GETS BETTER" cause it does. It really does!!!

P.S.......you are normal and you look wonderful in Green and you will look even more fabulous in Bronze! just hang in there!

9 Months +

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:56 pm #39

Title: TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?

I'm sure everyone has heard the saying: "If it's too good to be true, then it probably is."

I hate to say it, but Kim was rushed to the hospital at about 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday night, (the day after her 45th birthday) as she had suffered a seizure at home. Tony (her husband) found her on the floor and she was blue. He gave her mouth to mouth and called 911 and the ambulance rushed her to to the hospital. They gave her a CT scan at 11:00 p.m. and at 12:30 a.m. our worst fears were confirmed. She has a tumour on her brain. She had an MRI this morning at 8:30 a.m. and the results and all her history has been sent to London (which is the best health care facility in or area). We are waiting to hear back to see if it is operable and what the best way to treat it is.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought I should let you know. After all, you are all family too. I must admit everyone is very upset, but it isn't going to ruin our Christmas. We are not going to let that happen and as you know, Kim is a fighter and she will beat this one too.

By the way, Kim is still in the hospital and is hoping to get out soon, but she said it would be okay to post the bad news.

Just when you think you are really home free, another nightmare begins.

Kelly

NOT A PUFF FOR 9 Months 1 Week 6 Days 2 Hours 17 Minutes 44 Seconds AND NEVER GOING BACK.
Cigarettes not smoked: 5761. Money saved: C$1,584.53.

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:57 pm #40

Message 22 of 41 in Discussion

Your warm wishes and prayers are accepted with wide, open arms. They worked for us the last time and they will work again this time.

Joel, when I said "Too good to be true", I meant that she could have her lung removed with no further treatment like chemo or radiation and that would be the end of our cancer experience. I know people do survive cancer and in fact I do know a few who have and now I am going to know one more. I believe a positive attiude is half the battle so we're already half way to beating it. I guess we were just confident that she had beat it and that it was over and done with.

Newbies or anyone else missing their cigarettes, quitting smoking is a piece of cake compared to what you might have to deal with later. You may think quitting is unbearable, but withdrawal does go away and you eventually come to a point where you don't even think about smoking. I wish I was dealing with the early days of a quit instead of this and I know Kim is too.

Don't think for one minute that Kim or myself feel like smoking. That is the last thing on our minds. We both know that it won't solve our situation and it will only make things worse. In fact, we just shake our heads when we see people smoking wishing they would educate themselves. After all, education is the key to success and this site gets all credit for that.

John, sometime down the road, the web page will have to be revised. Maybe a long P.S. can be added or maybe a Part I and Part II. In any event, the title WILL NOT CHANGE.

I wish everyone a healthy, happy and peaceful holiday.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again,

Kelly

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 9:58 pm #41

Message 28 of 41 in Discussion

Operation Update:

I just got home from the hospital. Kim will probably be getting out tomorrow.

The doctors in London said there is only one tumour and that they can remove it. They don't know if she will need radiation or not and the neurosurgeon will decide at the time of her surgery. She has to take anti-swelling and anti-seizure medication for 2 weeks and then they will operate sometime early January. Thanks again for everyone's overwhelming support, it really does help.

And remember to never take another puff. It really isn't worth it.

Kelly

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 10:00 pm #42

Message 34 of 41 in Discussion
Sent: 12/23/2002 11:19 AM

Hello my wonderful Freedom family,

I was released from the hospital yesterday, the anti seizure drugs are making me feel like a real space cadet. I went for a blood test this morning to make sure the medication levels are within range, I'm just waiting to hear the results.

I will be seeing a neo-surgeron in the new year and the prognosis sounds good. According to the MRI results the tumour is confined to one spot on the right side of the brain and sounds like it can be removed easily.

I want to thank you all for you prayers and well wishes, believe me they really help at this sad time. I want everyone to have a great holiday and I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Kim.........9 Months plus and forever committed to "Never take another Puff"

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 10:01 pm #43

Title: Surgery is Booked for Monday Morning
Sent: 1/9/2003 8:44 PM

I saw the neurosurgeon today and he has booked the brain tumour removal for Monday morning at 11 am. The tumour is 2 cm in size and is just under the skin on the right side of the brain. I will be sedated but awake during the procedure as they need to monitor my motor skills as they are removing it. He said there is no guarantee that they can get it all but they will keep removing as long as all my functions keep working.

There will be radiation sometime afterwards. It needs time to heal first and to let the swelling go down as radiation causes swelling also.

Kelly will keep you all up to date.

Kim...................10 months +..... and wishing I was going through withdrawal instead of this!

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 10:02 pm #44

Message 3 of 112 in Discussion

I reckon this will be my posting on Tuesday:

Kim tolerated her surgery very well. She is up and talking and they are letting her out of the hospital on today.

They got the whole tumour out with no problem to her motor skills. They are going to give her radiation for insurance purposes, but the doctors have given her a clean bill of health.

Kelly
10 months + and hoping people get the message that smoking just isn't worth it

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 10:04 pm #45

Message 58 of 112 in Discussion
Gold Sent: 1/12/2003 8:08 PM

"WOW!"
My Freedom family is wonderful! I feel all that positive energy coming my way and it feels great!

I want all of you to know that I am not afraid of tomorrow, I feel confident I am in great hands and everything is going to go well.

The surgery is scheduled for noon Canadian EST, so send all you vibes then..........thanks and I love you all!

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 10:06 pm #46

Kim and sister Kelly after surgery on January 14, 2003[/size]

Message 71 of 112 in Discussion
Sent: 1/15/2003 6:03 PM

Dear Freedom Friends:

Sorry to take so long with the update, but as you all know, no news is good news.

I am so happy to report that they got the entire tumour out without any effect at all to her motor skills. A CT scan after her operation came back clear and once again, she is cancer free. They are going to arrange radiation in a couple of weeks.

Once again, all of your prayers and positive energy have helped win another battle and thank you seems so inadequate.

We are at my parent's house right now and Kim is having a nap, but she will be online later.

Thanks again all,
Kelly
10 months +

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 10:07 pm #47

Kim recovering, about a week after surgery[/size]

Message 104 of 112 in Discussion
Gold Sent: 1/16/2003 1:11 PM

Hello All!

I am at my Mom and Dad's again, they look after me after surgery cause no one is at home at my house during the day. My Mom is a retired nurse which is an added bonus.

As you all know the surgery went well and I was awake during the 2 hr 20 min procedure. They gave me a squeeky toy in my left hand and made me squeek it every time they asked so they knew my left side was still working. It was quite the weird feeling when they sawed my skull open. The only thing that hurt was when they put the freezing in my head and when they stapled it up after. Apparantly your brain has no feeling. The side of my head is shaved with a small circle of staples. I'll need to get a hat soon...............lol. My husband took pictures, so I'll get them scanned and sent to John to update my webpage. One is of Kelly and I in my hospital bed, hope it turns out.
I want to thank everybody for you hugs, prayers and all that positive energy sent my way, I could really feel it and I know it helped in making the surgery successful.

I will be getting radiation in a couple of weeks as a precaution cause there is a chance that smaller than microscopic cells could still be there.

Thank-you all and I have no gifs here

Kim
Last edited by FreedomNicotine on February 10th, 2009, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 10:09 pm #48

Message 106 of 112 in Discussion
Sent: 1/16/2003 1:32 PM

Dear Freedom Friends:

We forgot to mention a very important comment the doctor made when we were leaving the hospital, which was:

"Don't take up smoking again."

We assured him that we were both far too educated to ever do that.

Kelly
10 months +

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 10:11 pm #49

Title: One Year Ago, I Started 2 Journeys.....
Sent: 3/7/2003 10:33 AM

March 7, 2002 is the day I started two journeys, a day I will never forget.

Journey #1 - Quitting smoking............ I knew my smoking days were over. There was no choice in the matter, nicodemon had already started his death wish. My sister found Whyquit, we educated ourselves and now there is no looking back. I would have done anything for nicotine, but not anymore. I do feel so much better, no more coughing up phlgem or going into coughing fits when I laughed. When I would walk outside in winter and breathe in that first cold breath, it was an instant coughing fit too. The days at first seemed so long, but then I turned green, then silver and now GOLD......One whole year! I am so happy to be nicotine free.

Journey #2 - March 7 was also the beginning of my battle with cancer. I was a person who believed that it would never happen to me, it only happens to other people. Being told I had lung cancer was not only a total shock to me but for my family as well. How could I possibly continue to smoke? The thought of "Oh well why quit now I already have cancer" never crossed my mind. Smoking was definately not an option for me anymore, it was starting to kill me. My health was too important now, I couldn't keep doing this to myself.

As most of you know, I had my lung removed April 23, 2002. I recovered quickly from that surgery and was feeling great. My 6 month checkup came back clean. Then on December 18, 2002 I suffered a seizure, was rushed to hospital and a brain tumor was discovered.

I saw the neurosurgeon on January 9, 2003. He made me do all these coordination tests to make sure the seizure had not affected my motor skills. He then asked me if I had a cough, I told him I used to but not since I quit smoking. After his examination he said I was a good candidate for the surgery. I didn't realize there were good and bad candidates. On the morning of the surgery (January 13), he asked me again if I had coughed. I finally figured out why he was asking. He couldn't risk me coughing and moving during the delicate surgery he was going to perform. So I have to wonder....if I hadn't quit smoking and still had that smoker's cough would he have said "sorry I can't do the surgery on you, you are too much of a risk." A scary thought! He said he removed all of the tumor but I still had to endure two weeks of radiation. Thanks to the radiation, I have no hair and I had a bad burn on my forehead, eyelids and parts of my head, it's now peeling.

So newbies and lurkers I have to say withdrawal is nothing compared to what I have been through this year and who knows what the future will bring. Anybody can quit as long as they can accept the fact they are nicotine addicts and educate themselves. Believe me when I, and the others say it gets easier, because it really does. I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I had a crave.

I want to thank John for asking me to put my story on this site, I know it has helped many. I continue to share it in hopes that it will reinforce all of your quits and inspire others to take control of their lives by "NEVER TAKING ANOTHER PUFF"...........Now let the Party Begin!!!!!

MSN will not let me post any gifs : ( ..................Kim.....Golden!!!!

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 10th, 2009, 10:13 pm #50

Title: One Year Ago, I Started 2 Journeys.....
Message 12 of 64 in Discussion

Congratulations on GOLD sis. I'm right there with ya, but it's not official til 9:00 p.m.

Kelly

NOT A PUFF FOR 11 Months 3 Weeks 6 Days 16 Hours 44 Minutes 51 Seconds AND NEVER GOING BACK.

Cigarettes not smoked: 7293. Money saved: C$2,005.84.