seeing cigarettes everywhere.

Retraining the conscious mind

seeing cigarettes everywhere.

31 May 2003, 21:08 #1

I can not believe since my quit how mant people I see with a cigarette in their hand. I am sure there were as many when I was a smoker but never paid any mind to it now that's all I am noticing. I see them in the streets and while I'm driving and when I go into a store or place of business I see the employees outside smoking on there breaks, THEY ARE EVERYWHERE RIGHT NOW. It drives me crazy. But then I really think about it and get a glad to be out of that habit feeling. I wish I could tell everyone I see "please don't smoke" I guess I am just a little scared because I don't ever want to relapse,I am doing one heck of a job not smoking right now I am almost green and I CAN see myself being smkoe-free in the future it is something I always wanted and finally found it thanks to this site and everyone here. Sorry for all this rambling I just felt the need to come on and let this out. Thanks.... Happy World No Tabacco Day....3 weeks 4 days 15 hrs 7 minutes

01 Jun 2003, 02:53 #2

Hi Dana!

Wow, you are almost green!

Yep, those smoker people are almost everywhere......Except where smoking isn't permitted. Remember how frustrating it was to find a place to practice our addictin???

And I bet they really are enjoying themselves! But then I remember how many cigarettes I smoked without "enjoying" them.... because I was an addict! I still am an addict!

But you don't want to relapse and are scared..... Of course you are scared. We all have to remember that we are all one puff away from addiction, forever.

And you can see yourself not smoking in the future..... The future is another way to say FOREVER, and we don't say the "F" word! One day at a time.... and you get to forever....... eventually. Of course, you can celebrate each day..... while if you wait for forever you only get to celebrate when you're dying.

Dana...... you are looking at the cusp, the turning point. You have been busy, working real hard QUITTING SMOKING. Eventually you don't have to work hard quitting, you become an Ex-Smoker.

At 10 years old, you get permission to cross the street by yourself. Remember to look both ways, or your brain and guts could be splattered for a hundred feet...... Well, right now you have to remember to "not smoke", just as a 10 year old has to remember to look both ways. You get to the point that "not smoking" is as natural as looking both ways.... and you crossed the street without fear, without thinking about it.....

Some great reading:

Smokers all around me today!!
Being tempted watching others smoke
Fixating on a cigarette.

and a really great one about turning the corner from quitter to ex-smoker:

The Monster Under the Bed

You can and are doing this!

YQB BillW One year, three months, three weeks, two days. 14317 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,827.41. Life saved: 7 weeks, 17 hours, 5 minutes.

01 Jun 2003, 04:38 #4

Thank you my gentlemen friends for the great reads..I enjoyed them with a tall glass of spring water and feeling fine without the nicotine........

01 Jun 2003, 05:09 #5

Hi Dana,

As I was reading your post, I was thinking about how I reacted to ex -smokers before I quit. My husband was the ex-smoker, along with my mom, my sister, etc. , but I was adamant about them not trying to reform me. I mean, I was rebellious about anyone telling me what I should do.
Now that I am an ex-smoker and I have found "freedom", I want to shout to the top of my lungs. I want to tell the world to stop doing that to themselves. I have to wonder how all those folks put up with me. Yes, I see them too Dana and it's driving me a little bit crazy. I'm just thankful that I don't smoke anymore and I hope I can do my part to help everyone that comes to this site to stick with their mission and never take another puff.
Take care Dana. We are a real winners because we don't smoke anymore...Yay!!!!!!!!!!

yqs, sue
Two months, two days, 23 hours, 16 minutes and 50 seconds. 2558 cigarettes not smoked, saving $369.50. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 21 hours, 10 minutes.

01 Jun 2003, 10:23 #6

This is probably one of the strangest phenomena to quitting smoking. Prior to quitting I felt like I was one of the last few left in the whole world... nobody smoked anymore. Searching for a place to practice my addiction without getting the "glare of disdain" from the non-smokers.

Then I quit. Then it seemed like every person I saw had a cigarette. I never understood that! But here's some good practice for you: watch those smokers, really watch them and read them. They're feeding their addictions on autopilot. They're thinking to themselves they need to quit.

There is something you have to look forward to. It's the first time you go do something socially and at some point during the event you look around and realize wow... not one person is smoking, neither am I... and I love it! These people don't know I ever smoked, I'm one of them!

Hang in there!!

Jill
Kicking Butt for 7 Months 3 Weeks 6 Days.

01 Jun 2003, 10:37 #7

Since I've quit I have noticed people smoking in movies and in TV shows a lot more. I was floored when I realized how much smoking is shown. This is embarrassing. I "thought" Julia Roberts looked so cool when she smoked in her movies. Now I'm like that is so uncool and so not pretty. Katherine 2 weeks 5 days 15 hours and 11 minutes. 294 unsexy cigs not smoked

01 Jun 2003, 10:46 #8

In the beginning of my quit, I used to be jealous when I saw the other smokers. It didn't take long before my thinking changed and I felt sorry for them. I am also disappointed now when I see a favorite actor or actress light up in the movies.

Lilycatt
9 months, 4 weeks, 2 days, 19 hours, and counting