Roger's - A Journey Beyond Comfort

Roger's - A Journey Beyond Comfort

FreedomNicotine

10 Dec 2008, 09:47 #1

From: Roger (Gold)  (Original Message)                                                                                                                                            Sent: 5/3/2003 3:40 PM

The day many of us made the decision to gain control of our life  from our deadly addiction is a day we began one of the most personally satisfying & humbling experiences of our adult lives. 

Many of us found Freedom & WhyQuit as we searched & prayed for a thread of hope for something to enable us to finally succeed in taking control of our addiction.  As we read the successes of others we began to develop that  glimmer of hope & belief in our hearts that we too could find the comfort they described.  At first our goal was a short one.  We understood in  just 72 hours we could become part of this fine bunch of people who would understand what we already have gone through and probably will continue to go through as our journey continues.  

Unknowing to us at the time,  the journey we embarked on would be the the birth of many realizations we would discover about ourselves.  Realizations of deep rooted fears possibly from a personal experience of a previous quit,  lost quit or traumatic hearsay from someone elses experience how they struggled to overcome their addiciton.  Realizations we have tender emotions hidden and masked by nicotine and smoke in a self induced state of addiciton.   We realized and accepted we were addicted to a highly addictive substance and needed to draw on the education, experience and motivation of others until we too could find the comfort they spoke of and be able to stand on our own two feet.  We took their word for it and continued our journey on our own raw emotions and dynamic faith by believing  they were telling us the truth.  One day at a time we continued our journey until our comfort began to surround us.   Just as it will embrace many of you who are still in the earlier stages of your quit.  Be patient & enjoy your journey.

Many of us read and post to milestone celebrations.  We continuously tell Newbies along with Glory Week Graduates,  Green, Double Green, Bronze, Silver and Gold achievers it continues to get better.  My personal comfort happened to me early in my quit.  By my Bronze Anniversary  my new life as an x-smoker was well on the way to being a natural part of my every day living.  I did notice subtle changes occuring but not on a grand scale.  At Gold I wondered just how much better it really could get.     My journey was full circle.   I had lived nicotine free through seasonal changes, holidays and our last child leaving the nest and off to college.  She is just a few hours away from our home but seeming like around the world.  At this point in my quit,  what I used to call triggers has evolved to just a natural occurance or event of my everyday life I accepted and then moved on.   I mean,  comfort is comfort,  isn't it?   What I didn't know was,  I was about to find out what comfort really is! 

A while ago an event began to unfold in my life that I admit had me wondering how I would deal with the outcome.  This being the eventual loss of my last parent,  my Mother,  to lifes natural cycle.  I wondered if the craves and triggers would be so great and tempting I would regress back to one minute or one hour at a time.  There was never any doubt in my mind this challenge would never lead me to once again resort to poisoning my body with nicotine and chemicals from the process of delivering the drug to my system.  That addiction is one event in my life I am in control of and have control of and it will not take place again.    My concerns were just about myself wondering how difficult of a time I would have facing the impending loss.  I wondered just how far I and my quit had progressed and evolved.  I knew I had the resolve, education and tools to see me through this challenge.  What I didn't know and speculated on was how many of the tools I would have to take out of my tool box to nurse me through any emotional damage that would be channeled back to me when my Mother passed from this life to another. 

Today as emotional healing continues I look back and realize I never once had the desire to actively feed my addiciton during my Mothers transition.  It never happened.   My only thoughts of my addiction were  speculating and remembering how in the past I would have handled all of my present emotions.  Those emotions would have been subdued in a drugged state of euphoria,  just as they were some years ago when my Father passed,  by over actively feeding my addiction 2-3 pack of cigarettes a day. 

A little over 16 months ago when I began this journey,  I had no idea where it would lead me.   Today I live with the warm realization that my quit has progressed far beyond the comfort I dreamed of achieving back then.  I have not forgotton I am still and forever will be an addict in recovery.  The biggest difference being I am now the one in control now.  I will never forget one puff will send me back to the depths of my addiction.  I understand the Law of Addiction and accept it as universal truth.  I no longer fear my addiction,   I respect the power it can have over me,  if I allow that to happen. 

My Journey Of Healing Has Taken Me Beyond Comfort. 

It has taken me to a deep level of Inner Peace & Respect of Myself.  

It has given me the ability to proclaim with a high level of Confidence, I Will Never Take Another Puff.

It has given me a much deeper appreciation of my life and myself. 

It has given me the sense of relaxation to enjoy the simple things in life.

I cherish my new life Beyond The Comfort I hoped for.

One Day At A Time,  You Too Can Find This Elevated Level Of Comfort,
 As Long As You Never Take Another Puff  

Roger

Last edited by FreedomNicotine on 07 Jan 2011, 02:22, edited 6 times in total.

Joe J free

14 Apr 2009, 22:02 #2

Hi roger
Thanks for a wonderful post,i too am very comfortable in my quit at just under two months,but i lost a years quit and it was an easy one so i,m keeping my eye on the ball this time because my previous relapse started with one cigarette whilst intoxicated.I,m glad to hear that in your grief there is a maturity that knows nicotine never solved any problems and life up and down goes on without it and in my case mines is much richer and fuller.
Rickdabler 1 month 3 weeks 3 dayd 18hrs 40mins happily nicotine free.Image

Beautifully written Roger!! Reading about your personal experiences, along this journey, gives hope to the many of us that may have to encounter similar experiences. I am constantly amazed to learn how many of our responses to life's situations were dealth with through the aid of our addictions. You have certainly proved that we can handle anything life may have to offer without a cigarette . Thanks Roger for taking the time to share your life and your success in kicking this habit... yqs, sue Image
One month, five days, 39 minutes and 43 seconds. 1401 cigarettes not smoked, saving $208.00. Life saved: 4 days, 20 hours, 45 minutes.
Hi Roger,
Thank-you for a truly inspiring post and it couldn't have come at a better time. I'm nearing 4 weeks and the last few days have been somewhat uncomfortable. I come here to Freedom and every time I do I am amazed at how there is always someone there to remind me that staying on this journey will bring me to a comfort level from my addiction to nicotine.
FreegirlImage
3 weeks and 6 days of freedom from nicotine!
Your mom (and dad) must be
beaming with pride, Roger ; )
John - Gold
Hi Roger!
Thank you for this wonderful post. I myself, after the physical withdrawel of my addiction ceased, felt born again- I truly, truly do. You have put into words what I cannot but the only way I can describe it is simply- I feel born again! Everything is new all over again. And it is wonderful!
Valerie
4 Months, 2 Days...

Hi Roger and Thanks for your post. I am glad that you have acheived such comfort. You are an inspiration. You have achieved something very special I think. I think it is that feeling of being a never smoker. Where you are just able to be. I still am not there and I know that my time will come. I have come so far and I am so glad to look forward to LIFE no matter what the situation. I am grateful for your presence as you are a beacon to many a newbie, a middlebe and an oldbie which as I am seeing is still quite new. I thank you for your post and I am wishing you a great day!! your quit sister Lena 5 months TODAY!!!
WOW, Roger....what an awesome piece. Thank you so much for sharing with all of your Freedom family. You have such a wonderful way of communicating how you feel and it means so much to us. I look forward to achieving your level of comfort. YQS, JD Judy has been nic free for: 3 Months 2 Weeks 3 Days 8 Hours 53 Minutes and has NOT smoked 4921 smelly cigs, for a grand $$$ savings of $824.38 plus life of Freedom extended by: 2 Weeks 3 Days 2 Hours 5 Minutes.

Nice post Roger. Living life is what it is all about now. Not living life without smoking--just living life. This statement is not true for people who still smoke. Smoking is still an integral component in an active smoker's day to day existence. The more time a person attains at being smoke free, and more importantly, the more experiences a person encounters without reliance on nicotine fixes, the more he or she will settle in to a life that is no longer centered around smoking. A smokers life is somewhat centered around alleviating nicotine withdrawal that was induced by just going too much time without smoking or by certain physiological conditions that expedited nicotine metabolism or excretion. When first quitting the person's focus is often just on dealing with the physiological withdrawals. When off for days and then weeks, a person could still find himself or herself intimidated with the idea that he or she is going to have to face new circumstances without smoking or by still encountering frequent first time situations that are triggering smoking thoughts

But when a person has many months of being smoke free it is likely that great time periods can pass where smoking thoughts just do not occur. Especially important is getting the first year down so seasonal variation of weather, holidays, and activities all get overcome without smoking. People often first really recognize their Freedom when they face their first real tragedy or even a major positive life changing event and then, a day or two afterwards, realize that the thought for a cigarette did not even occur. This is when they find the real comfort from not smoking. It does not mean that they are always comfortable or happy or stress free, because life has a way of throwing us curves that results in people having times that they may be down. As you have found though it reaches a point where thoughts of smoking are no longer intertwined in life's up or downs. This is the concept of comfort that people will reach, where not smoking is simply an almost unconscious way of life.

Thank you for adding your personal testament to what life can really be like without smoking. Life is better in many ways when a person no longer has to accommodate an active drug addiction. You will be better equipped to face physical, psychological, professional, and personal challenges as long as you stay nicotine free which is as simple now as just sticking to your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

That's a beautiful and comforting post. Thank you. Your post brought to mind a conversation I had the other day:
I have a very good friend who is a recovering drug addict (illegal drugs, that is). He just celebrated his 10 year anniversary of being sober and drug free (including nicotine). When I asked him if he was excited, he told me that one year was a really big deal. Five years was a big deal. But now? It's a nice milestone, but at ten years of sobriety, it's just another day.
I thought this was a wonderful expression of the level of comfort that can be reached by any recovering addict.

Roger,
Thank you so much for posting those words.
'Nutty - Suzanne
Four weeks, one day, 8 hours, 41 minutes and 19 seconds. 1027 cigarettes not smoked, saving $411.07. Life saved: 3 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes.

Anyone needing inspiration today? Read Roger's words. Believe in the promise of recovery.

Image Parker - 11 months
Last edited by Joe J free on 14 Apr 2009, 22:10, edited 2 times in total.

Joe J free

14 Apr 2009, 22:07 #3

Thank you for sharing your experience Roger, being so early in my quit I often wonder how I would get thru anything difficult such as the death of a loved one when it's sometimes hard to get through the little upsets in life but atleast I know it DOES get easier and even comfortable. I am proud and inspired by your story. I am sure your Mom would be so proud as we all are....beautifully written...
Sincerely,
Andrea
I have been quit for 1 Month, 4 Days, 20 hours, 50 minutes and 32 seconds (35 days). I have saved $206.23 by not smoking 896 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 2 hours and 40 minutes of my life.

Image this is one of my favorite posts. thanks Roger!
Linda
gold club

My Dearest Roger: You and the ones answering your post today made my life richer. Thank you my dear one for stepping forward and writing what your heart was saying. We all are the better for it. We are humbled to share this time with you and we have gratitude you thought enough of us to take us into your heart. What really resonated with me today were your words..... "Those emotions would have been subdued in a drugged state of euphoria, " Roger, you sure hit the nail on the head. The last thing you wrote that was important to me was,
" It has given me the sense of relaxation to enjoy the simple things in life. I cherish my new life Beyond The Comfort I hoped for."
You sure were speaking a mouth full there my friend. I grief with you on the loss of your mother. And honor you for going it without some fictional form of therapy.
Instead you chose us. And we are the better for it. Thank you Roger.
Your Dionne
Good Morning Freedom, Its Sunday on my end of the world and Sundays tend to be a little quieter on the board but for those looking for a little inspirational reading I thought I'd pop up a few classics.
Lorraine GoldX3

"I no longer fear my addiction, I respect the power it can have over me, if I allow that to happen."
Roger

ImageFrom my heart to yours.
Antonia
Seven years of Freedom

FreedomNicotine

24 Oct 2009, 12:24 #4

Nice post Roger. Living life is what it is all about now. Not living life without smoking--just living life. This statement is not true for people who still smoke. Smoking is still an integral component in an active smoker's day to day existence. The more time a person attains at being smoke free, and more importantly, the more experiences a person encounters without reliance on nicotine fixes, the more he or she will settle in to a life that is no longer centered around smoking. A smokers life is somewhat centered around alleviating nicotine withdrawal that was induced by just going too much time without smoking or by certain physiological conditions that expedited nicotine metabolism or excretion. When first quitting the person's focus is often just on dealing with the physiological withdrawals. When off for days and then weeks, a person could still find himself or herself intimidated with the idea that he or she is going to have to face new circumstances without smoking or by still encountering frequent first time situations that are triggering smoking thoughts

But when a person has many months of being smoke free it is likely that great time periods can pass where smoking thoughts just do not occur. Especially important is getting the first year down so seasonal variation of weather, holidays, and activities all get overcome without smoking. People often first really recognize their Freedom when they face their first real tragedy or even a major positive life changing event and then, a day or two afterwards, realize that the thought for a cigarette did not even occur. This is when they find the real comfort from not smoking. It does not mean that they are always comfortable or happy or stress free, because life has a way of throwing us curves that results in people having times that they may be down. As you have found though it reaches a point where thoughts of smoking are no longer intertwined in life's up or downs. This is the concept of comfort that people will reach, where not smoking is simply an almost unconscious way of life.

Thank you for adding your personal testament to what life can really be like without smoking. Life is better in many ways when a person no longer has to accommodate an active drug addiction. You will be better equipped to face physical, psychological, professional, and personal challenges as long as you stay nicotine free which is as simple now as just sticking to your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel